• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
It's 2020, and somehow, many people still don't realize that 'video unavailable' usually just means that embeds don't work.

Like, just open the video in a new tab, and it'll work. You don't even have to open a new tab yourself. Just click the title of the video instead of the play button, and it'll open a new tab itself.

Ever notice how half of the videos in music sharing threads seem not to work? That's why, now you know.

edit: Well then... The YouTube vid was just fully taken down. Now it's really unavailable lmao
What a story arc this post turned out to be lol.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
This looked really interesting.
Really liking a lot of Sony's cancelled games, lol. (ND, SSM and now this)

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
can't watch it right now, could someone do a summary or something?

Our masked main character observes a bunch of soldiers tearing down a statue, examines the interior composition of the material used in the statue and is found by the local guards/dockworkers and called a thief. Soldier Captain then removes his half mask, remarks that he is a wanted criminal and heats up his sword to intimidate/torture our main character who uses said heat in combo with a powder/dust he had on his person to cause a small spark/explosion off the blade and run away.
Cue chase sequence with lots of stuff you've seen in other games. Very early fighting system, climbing over stuff, stuff like punching a hole in a fence to get through and using that power to similar effect against other guards.
He ends up falling through the roof of a building and pleading with the owner of said shop or house to not go outside as the guards will kill him which the dude scoffs at.
He walks outside and guards kill him to keep the reward money.
Hero melts the iron bars with his magic dust, then the Guard Captains armor before killing him and running away across a bridge which he spreads a LOT of the dust on and then ignites with a torch to cut off the guards still trailing him.
He locks swords with the one guard who made it across the bridge and we cut to black.

movement/fighting looked pretty early but competent. World and style looked real good if not fairly familiar (dishonored comes immediately to mind) but as far as a very early vertical slice goes it's pretty good.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Looks cool. Interesting that we didn't know about this already. Or maybe we had and I was paying attention

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Couldnt get myself to finish watching the video. Looks generic and boring.. a lot of videogames get canned. Here is a good example that it has its reasons.

I am more intrigued to find out if it was some sort of vertical slice demo or to some context fully playable game?

This means that even if they wont grow, their next game (presumably ghost) will launch sometimes in 2023-2024. We surely wont have to wait another 6 years since they made two new ips from which one got canned.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone in "the know", how far do you think this game was? Looking at this "trailer"(?), looks pretty far.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Do games commonly get this far in development before getting cancelled?

It's rare but ultimately depends on the publisher/license owner (likelier for a Nintendo, Sony or MS to do this than a 2K or EA)

Battlefront III was never announced but was damn-near finished as an example, and Project H.A.M.M.E.R was far along as well for the Wii when Nintendo killed the team and the game.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Shu watching this
yos234j0c.gif

fbt this was also his reaction to Demon's Souls.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
The setting (Order 1886 like, alternate/fantasy medieval ) seems like it could be interesting, but considering how many games that are set on medieval time, it'd be hard to stand out. I'm glad they went with GOT at least, considering the result.

Do games commonly get this far in development before getting cancelled?
You get some months, maybe 3, maybe 6, to come with vertical slice containing what the game is about, how it plays, etc2 to show to the publisher and see if it will get greenlit. It's not far in development at all most likely. This is where you put bell and whistles and not care about performance :P

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
I'm glad we got what we got. This looks a bit dull and way too much like assassins creed. I wonder if that influenced the change.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like a very generic crossover between AC and Uncharted. Wild that sony cancelled it though when it was this far into development.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Feels kinda weird that Sucker Punch went from making fairly outlandish super hero games to just really wanting to make Assassins Creeds. I'm still fairly surprised that the rumour they were making Spider-Man didn't pan out and it was Insomniac instead.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
This is the most Sony first party thing I've ever seen. Grey/brown palette, over the shoulder camera, snarky male protagonist, weirdly gruesome, squeezing through a tight corridor during a getaway sequence... It's ticking all the boxes.
Which Sony games besides Bloodborne and The Order have had grey/brown palettes in the past 7 years?

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Loved God of War, and it's plenty different from the rest of that IP's entries...

But mad props to Sucker Punch for, when their new IP pitch went under, they doubled down and tried again with a new IP concept, instead of just defaulting back to one of their old IPs

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Not that much to go on from just this video, but that looked boring.

Oct 27, 2017
It's always a shame when a game gets cancelled but this literally looks like the most generic game possible, so if they diverted resources to work on Ghost, I think they made the right call.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The setting (Order 1886 like, alternate/fantasy medieval ) seems like it could be interesting, but considering how many games that are set on medieval time, it'd be hard to stand out. I'm glad they went with GOT at least, considering the result.

You get some months, maybe 3, maybe 6, to come with vertical slice containing what the game is about, how it plays, etc2 to show to the publisher and see if it will get greenlit. It's not far in development at all most likely. This is where you put bell and whistles and not care about performance :P

They could do this in 3 to 6 months? That's crazy.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Seems interesting for how very early in development it looks, not sure if there's enough to go on to judge it on anything other than setting and core philosophy. Hard to say if it was a good decision since we have no idea how Prophecy would have turned out, but Ghost is an awesome new IP so I ain't complaining.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Well put. These games just aren't doing it for me anymore.
You know, more power to the people who like Sony first party games, but for me this generation has been a pretty big disappointment as a fan of Sony's weirder, off-the-wall, super colourful games. To be honest I'm more excited for Ratchet and Clack Rift Apart than I ever was for anything Sony first party on PS4.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Gave me some Prince of Persia/Assassins Creed/A Plague Tale vibes.

Decent idea. Probably made the right move going to Ghost tho.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
The alchemy stuff is neat. The setting isn't very unique, however, and that's a big blow to these kinds of games.

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
Happy we got Ghost of Tsushima, I would have been kind of annoyed if Infamous got shelved for that to be honest.

Cardon

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Some gameplay elements seemed a bit by the numbers but I absolutely loved the setting and it would've been cool to see a game with a West Asian protagonist.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
This is the most Sony first party thing I've ever seen. Grey/brown palette, over the shoulder camera, snarky male protagonist, weirdly gruesome, squeezing through a tight corridor during a getaway sequence... It's ticking all the boxes.

imagine that moment when you realize that Sony as a publisher and first party holder has the most diverse catalogue of the gen lol'd.

the things you cited are more like a 2013/2014 design trend than Sony "boxes" tbh, or you really didn't played a lot of Ps4 exclusives.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Feels kinda weird that Sucker Punch went from making fairly outlandish super hero games to just really wanting to make Assassins Creeds. I'm still fairly surprised that the rumour they were making Spider-Man didn't pan out and it was Insomniac instead.
They basically want to make open world game with close combat unlike infamous which focus on ranged combat, and infamous already have some climbing and parkour element in it. Whatever setting they pick for new ip, itll probably have some assassin creed likeness in it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
imagine that moment when you realize that Sony as a publisher and first party holder has the most diverse catalogue of the gen lol'd.

the things you cited are more like a 2013/2014 design trend than Sony "boxes" tbh, or you really didn't played a lot of Ps4 exclusives.

Yeah, like when people say TLOU II isn't colorful because they watched trailers lol

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad we got Ghost over this, but this looks cool. I wonder how far this was into development before it got cancelled/reworked into Ghost?