Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It's OK. When presented with her flagrant disregard for climate change you went full Stan. It's completely sad and hopefully somewhere in your modicum of sanity you know this. It's just music.

It's just boring how the same boring, mediocre posters come into any Taylor Swift thread to make it about themselves and their oh so important and considered (actually boring) opinions as to why her music or conduct isn't good. It's boring. Pick another tune.

We don't need these boring ass opinions in every single Taylor Swift thread.

Stay mad I guess.

taylor-taylor-swift-eras-tour.gif

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 month): trolling over a series of posts, long history of trolling
It's just boring how the same boring, mediocre posters come into any Taylor Swift thread to make it about themselves and their oh so important and considered (actually boring) opinions as to why her music or conduct isn't good. It's boring. Pick another tune.

We don't need these boring ass opinions in every single Taylor Swift thread.

Stay mad I guess.

taylor-taylor-swift-eras-tour.gif
Don't respond to valid criticism? You seem jaded folks have issues with her.

What is with her pollution you have a problem with?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
You think that's an accomplishment? Well I don't even LISTEN to Taylor Swift, can you believe it? Try listening to some real music like Mozart and you will see just how banal your existence is methinks.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
User Warned: Inflammatory Accusation
Don't respond to valid criticism? You seem jaded folks have issues with her.

What is with her pollution you have a problem with?

The pollution from boring mediocre posters coming into Taylor Swift threads and sharing their boring mediocre opinions, usually due to being mad that a female musician is being held in high regard, especially by other women.

You think that's an accomplishment? Well I don't even LISTEN to Taylor Swift, can you believe it? Try listening to some real music like Mozart and you will see just how banal your existence is methinks.

drama-comedy.gif

Love me some Mozart.

notoracle

Aug 24, 2023
I mean… good for her, but I still don't find her music all that interesting. Her music sounds pretty good, but the lyrics aren't that good.

I think my biggest critique is her white feminism, and the obvious pollution.

Overall, good but uninteresting music.

Last edited:

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has seen Taylor live (back in 2015 admittedly) and has sporadically enjoyed her music, and I don't think this is particularly her fault, but she has become almost the example case of how interesting discussions about music can't happen any more.

You either drink the Kool-aid or you are a 'hater' (probably a misogynist as well lol). Literally can't talk about anything interesting about her music other than maybe what lyrics 'secretly' mean.

I find the whole phenomenon more interesting from a meta perspective now, including Neil Tennant's recent comments. Like how clearly she is massive, and so many people obsessively listen to every song 100's of times, dissect the lyrics, come up with theories etc.... probably more than any artist before but at the same time (v much a modern pop phenomenon, rather that specific to Swift) she interestingly doesn't have that much wider cut-through. Like obviously she is huge, she could sell out any stadium in the world for a month, and everyone knows who she is and someone who is obsessed with her - but she doesn't have these regular pop hits (nor does any megastar nowadays).

I don't think I'm trying to say anything, just find the whole thing fascinating.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The pollution from boring mediocre posters coming into Taylor Swift threads and sharing their boring mediocre opinions, usually due to being mad that a female musician is being held in high regard, especially by other women.

drama-comedy.gif

Love me some Mozart.
You are still a Stan for poor climate control.

Mar 21, 2018
Of that sales figure, vinyl sales represent a staggering 859,000

Excuse me?! And here I am listening to albums pressed in the 100-500 range. Insane.

Anyway, I don't listen to pop music but my wife's little half-sisters were over last week and asked to me to chuck on the new album on my hi-fi. After sampling a few tracks I can only say I found the music very bland and amorphous, lacking any strong identity or depth. My wife, who's a casual Swift fan and has seen her live, bemoaned that her music lacks the melodies and hooks of her earlier releases, missing that crucial "sing-along" factor.

By contrast we put on Beyonce's new country album and I have to say it was pretty solid and well recorded from the little I heard.

Kevers

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I love the Swifties coming in defending her music as if we're not talking about the practice of pressing 19 versions of an albums and then claiming she had the biggest sales ever because she's just the best and everyone who doesn't like her hates women. What a stretch.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
These threads are weird. I like Swift, her albums are good/great, her breaking records constantly is also great to see. But on the other hand I think the Ubisoft comment made earlier has some validity and if that video from the last page about her use of a private jet is true than why the fuck am I even trying to do any good on this planet?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I love the Swifties coming in defending her music as if we're not talking about the practice of pressing 19 versions of an albums and then claiming she had the biggest sales ever because she's just the best and everyone who doesn't like her hates women. What a stretch.
Most of the posts I see defending her music are directly responding to a poster who is shit talking her music

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats, she def. has mastered the practice of upselling multiple versions of the same content to her fanbase.
She would be far ahead of everyone else even without that, but the fact that she still doubles in like that is rare for a person on top - using every move avaible to gas up those numbers.

Not for me but gotta respect the hustle.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
After sampling a few tracks I can only say I found the music very bland and amorphous, lacking any strong identity or depth.
That's the prevailing opinion also with Swifties (well that it's amorphous, not lacking depth lmao), but that's because since Midnights, Antonoff has been producing her albums like house music, where songs have been selected and mixed to blend into each other. It takes a few repeat listens to understand where songs begin and end and have their distinct motifs. Also narratively it's frequently meant to be listened to in sequence (or a few sequences), where she e.g. describes a breakup through different songs from realization to dramatic to morose to unhinged to rebound. I think this is one of the reasons why streaming numbers are also through the roof, once people start listening, they keep on listening the whole thing. But it makes it increasingly harder to convince people who listen to it once and don't get it. You're not really supposed to get it after one listen.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I mean… good for her, but I still don't find her music all that interesting. Her music sounds pretty good, but the lyrics aren't that good.

I think my biggest critique is her white feminism, and the obvious pollution.

Overall, good but uninteresting music.

Exactly how I feel. I have no issue with Taylor being the biggest pop star in the universe. She deserves it - she's worked hard. And most of all she's a good role model for kids. But speaking from an actual music perspective, I don't get the hype. Part of the problem - especially with the new material is that she's got Aaron Dressner producing her - and while I love the earlier National albums (the last few albums have been unlistenable for me) he is not the right guy to work with her. Everything they've done together sounds like the music equivalent of a saltine cracker - it's just very very bland.

In terms of pop star artistry - and in particular - female mega pop star artistry - I'm way more excited and interested to see what Billie Eilish drums up for her next album. 10 songs. No single. They're going lean and mean vs this overblown double album thing which never works out (what was the last double album that was universally praised?) And in terms of ideas and going into unique musical directions, Billie just goes deeper for me personally. So does the production and the mixes.

Holmes

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you guys are so negative and confrontational, and I see this on the gaming side a lot too. Is this how you guys act in real life? Join conversations just to shit on the things people are talking about? Do you have any friends? Does anyone even want to talk to you? If you just shut up and let people enjoy what they like, I swear you'll probably end up a much happier person.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Some of you guys are so negative and confrontational, and I see this on the gaming side a lot too. Is this how you guys act in real life? Join conversations just to shit on the things people are talking about? Do you have any friends? Does anyone even want to talk to you? If you just shut up and let people enjoy what they like, I swear you'll probably end up a much happier person.
YRuFixSNWFVcXaxpmX.webp

Oct 30, 2017
imagine living life in a way where saying things like WELL ACTUALLY THIS POPULAR ARTIST USES PRIVATE JETS is the only way to trigger dopamine. i hope anyone like that finds true happiness soon.

i am neutral on taylor swift (went to see her tour this year; don't really like this new record) and i agree that private jets should be illegal but c'mon. the real thing to criticise her for is decimating the vinyl industry by locking up plants to exploit fans into caring about 8000 variants of the same dang album

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL

A men

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Let me just say this. I find it VERY interesting that people who talk shit on Taylor burning up fuel in her private jet and destroying the environment almost never talk about other individuals who do the same thing, like some of their favorite artists. It's either against Taylor, Elon, or the billionaire class in general. Nothing wrong with talking shit on billionaires but keep the same energy for other music artists, please. We can tell.

Anyway, there are some songs on this album that will stick with me for a lifetime. Taylor just always makes music that gets how I feel and think as a girl. It's awesome.

notoracle

Aug 24, 2023
Exactly how I feel. I have no issue with Taylor being the biggest pop star in the universe. She deserves it - she's worked hard. And most of all she's a good role model for kids. But speaking from an actual music perspective, I don't get the hype. Part of the problem - especially with the new material is that she's got Aaron Dressner producing her - and while I love the earlier National albums (the last few albums have been unlistenable for me) he is not the right guy to work with her. Everything they've done together sounds like the music equivalent of a saltine cracker - it's just very very bland.

In terms of pop star artistry - and in particular - female mega pop star artistry - I'm way more excited and interested to see what Billie Eilish drums up for her next album. 10 songs. No single. They're going lean and mean vs this overblown double album thing which never works out (what was the last double album that was universally praised?) And in terms of ideas and going into unique musical directions, Billie just goes deeper for me personally. So does the production and the mixes.

I've heard some of Billie Eilish work, and what I've heard has been amazing. I should listen to her again, as I haven't in so long now.
The female artists I've been in love with are: Alice Glass, Sydney Bennett, Sophie, and 3l3d3p. It's been hard to find artists who talk about sapphic relationships in music.

Also, I can't relate to Taylor Swift because I'm not anything like her besides being white. So I have nothing there.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Lmao it's really not that deep. People are allowed to not like said thing (in this case, Taylor Swift) and have a DISCUSSION about it on a forum. No one here is degrading anyone for liking her, they're just expressing reasons why they don't. I swear some of you act like Taylor is going to personally anoint you for defending her honor.

It doesn't mean people are trying to be edgy or misogynistic (which I personally find bizarre that any criticism toward her is labeled as such). Frankly, I find the people taking it so personally to be even more wild. Stans are something else.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard some of Billie Eilish work, and what I've heard has been amazing. I should listen to her again, as I haven't in so long now.
The female artists I've been in love with are: Alice Glass, Sydney Bennett, Sophie, and 3l3d3p. It's been hard to find artists who talk about sapphic relationships in music.

Also, I can't relate to Taylor Swift because I'm not anything like her besides being white. So I have nothing there.
Good taste <3 Yeah you're right about music that's explicitly wlw, off the top of my head fever ray's last couple albums play in that space a lot, and Tami T's album from a couple years ago is some good horny electronic trans sapphic music.

Let me just say this. I find it VERY interesting that people who talk shit on Taylor burning up fuel in her private jet and destroying the environment almost never talk about other individuals who do the same thing, like some of their favorite artists. It's either against Taylor, Elon, or the billionaire class in general. Nothing wrong with talking shit on billionaires but keep the same energy for other music artists, please. We can tell.
It doesn't help that she was literally the top private jet polluter before she used her power to crack down on the guy tracking that info. Also bizarre to assume that people criticizing her for it don't care that other rich people are burning up the atmosphere with their jets.

Say what you will about her music or social influence, it's fine to like her and if her music brings you joy then don't let anyone yuck your yum. But her pollution is indefensible and really should stay out of these stan twitter defense rants imo, and frankly I find it kind of disgusting. Not singling you out as there's been several consecutive posts bringing this up. Just speaking my peace here not gonna engage on this any further.

Last edited:

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's the prevailing opinion also with Swifties (well that it's amorphous, not lacking depth lmao), but that's because since Midnights, Antonoff has been producing her albums like house music, where songs have been selected and mixed to blend into each other. It takes a few repeat listens to understand where songs begin and end and have their distinct motifs. Also narratively it's frequently meant to be listened to in sequence (or a few sequences), where she e.g. describes a breakup through different songs from realization to dramatic to morose to unhinged to rebound. I think this is one of the reasons why streaming numbers are also through the roof, once people start listening, they keep on listening the whole thing. But it makes it increasingly harder to convince people who listen to it once and don't get it. You're not really supposed to get it after one listen.

Yes! This has always been an issue in all genres, where the music needs time to breathe and emerge, but it's expected in some like house. You need to give it time. In pop music though, it's quite risky because it's meant to be immediately catchy. We're living in the age of the tiktok hook. Swift is in a place where she can do this because she's so massive, the music won't be ignored if it doesn't hit on first listen. I love that's she doing it.

Well said. It's even more bizarre when it's a forum where you have to deliberately seek out the conversation rather than maybe being stuck at a social gathering.

A thread like this about album sales, it's fine to criticise marketing practices, and I did myself, but just popping in merely to say the music is shit is strange. Like, okay, thanks for that contribution.

Thank you for this! I'm always on the look out for sapphic music, which can be hard to find. This is my favourite type of recommendation: 3 artists I already love and one I don't know. I mean, I'll have to check them out now!

Also, to be honest, I do all the Gaylor stuff and reading into her music, not because I think she is but just to have fun with it. And it's an old habit from the days of much less representation.

Last edited:

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
Am I reading this right? People actually bought 2 million CDs of an artist in 2024?

Insane. I heard CDs are having some kind of a comeback, maybe that's why

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Am I reading this right? People actually bought 2 million CDs of an artist in 2024?

Insane. I heard CDs are having some kind of a comeback, maybe that's why
You aren't!

The Tortured Poets Department launches with 2.61 million equivalent album units earned in the U.S. in the week ending April 25, with traditional album sales (purchases of digital download albums, CDs, vinyl LPs and cassettes) comprising 1.914 million of that sum. Of that sales figure, vinyl sales represent a staggering 859,000
Downloads, CDs, vinyls and cassettes sold 2m total. And vinyl was about 40% of that total. CDs were probably less than a quarter of that total if I had to guess

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Crazy to see vinyl > CD, but tbh vinyl looks way more cooler than CDs. If I want convenience I'll listen to the album on a streaming anyway

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol @ assuming an easy pot shot at a billionaire who is OK with mass pollution is being angry. She just flew to Las Vegas via private to party at another wealthy person's crappy charity.

It doesn't make any of us unhappy or sad. It literally takes 20 seconds to type this out.

She is a net negative for society at the moment. Don't like it? Put folks on ignore.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
It doesn't help that she was literally the top private jet polluter before she used her power to crack down on the guy tracking that info. Also bizarre to assume that people criticizing her for it don't care that other rich people are burning up the atmosphere with their jets.

Say what you will about her music or social influence, it's fine to like her and if her music brings you joy then don't let anyone yuck your yum. But her pollution is indefensible and really should stay out of these stan twitter defense rants imo, and frankly I find it kind of disgusting. Not singling you out as there's been several consecutive posts bringing this up. Just speaking my peace here not gonna engage on this any further.

I'm not defending her polluting. I'm just saying keep the same energy for other polluters. I frankly don't see that same energy from many of these drive by posters when it comes to other music artists. She's not the only one with private jets. I definitely think some of the people here that are bringing up the jet usage without saying much of anything else are here just to cause trouble for whatever reason (misogyny, jealously, boredom, or whatever else) and I stand on principle saying that. I do think her status as a woman is contributing to this discussion. She obviously should cut down on her private jet usage and there's no defending that. That's not what I'm even getting at. It's the lack of real constructive conservation over this. I definitely feel like most people are doing it in this thread for the reasons I stated. Some people just get off on negativity.

Like for instance, I listen to The Alchemy and it reminds me of this guy I like who's some sort of athlete and it gets me dreaming about what it would like to be with him and she just sings it in some way that tells a story and resonates with my soul. I'm sure you get what I'm saying. It's awesome. She has had this effect on me since I first listened to 1989 when it came out.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Thank you for this! I'm always on the look out for sapphic music, which can be hard to find. This is my favourite type of recommendation: 3 artists I already love and one I don't know. I mean, I'll have to check them out now!

Also, to be honest, I do all the Gaylor stuff and reading into her music, not because I think she is but just to have fun with it. And it's an old habit from the days of much less representation.

On this note I've been enjoying Fletcher quite a bit recently. Her video for Pretending is very sapphic. And probably not totally safe for work lol.

youtu.be

FLETCHER - Pretending (Official Video)

Stream/Download ‘In Search Of The Antidote’ here: https://fletcher.lnk.to/antidoteID Listen to FLETCHER:Spotify: https://fletcher.lnk.to/SpotifyIDApple Musi...

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022

huh, rare to see people complain about her music with Aaron Desner. Its usually Jack Antonoff that ususally gets all the flack for the stuff he's produced for her with stuff like Midnights and the 1989 vault tracks

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol @ assuming an easy pot shot at a billionaire who is OK with mass pollution is being angry. She just flew to Las Vegas via private to party at another wealthy person's crappy charity.

It doesn't make any of us unhappy or sad. It literally takes 20 seconds to type this out.

She is a net negative for society at the moment. Don't like it? Put folks on ignore.
Yet the only person you choose to come rant and rave about the pollution from is her. Curious!

Nobody thinks anyone should be polluting that much, but it's a drop in the bucket overall. Is it more than you or me? Sure unless you're a Captain Planet villain in secret, but the actual answer is regulation not "lemme go bitch about this person on the internet"

The same way that no single person is going to make a dent by swapping to paper straws, Taylor swift not doing what she's legally able to do with her jets isn't actually a significant factor here - regulate it so EVERYONE has to do what you're saying and suddenly it's a much bigger deal. But instead you'd rather make it about one person, because of internalized subconscious misogyny that makes villainizing the pop girl singer instead of the politicians that should be regulating them.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
That's how you know they actually know something about music and aren't just parroting other people.

yeah, and I feel that Antonoff gets way too much hate because... at the end of the day he's producing the exact way Taylor wants him to. Some people talk as if Jack is forcing Taylor to have that type of production in her songs

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yet the only person you choose to come rant and rave about the pollution from is her. Curious!

Nobody thinks anyone should be polluting that much, but it's a drop in the bucket overall. Is it more than you or me? Sure unless you're a Captain Planet villain in secret, but the actual answer is regulation not "lemme go bitch about this person on the internet"

The same way that no single person is going to make a dent by swapping to paper straws, Taylor swift not doing what she's legally able to do with her jets isn't actually a significant factor here - regulate it so EVERYONE has to do what you're saying and suddenly it's a much bigger deal. But instead you'd rather make it about one person, because of internalized subconscious misogyny that makes villainizing the pop girl singer instead of the politicians that should be regulating them.
Well, yeah, she was in the news for suing a college student over them reporting on her public flight logs and that she had more than one jet.

Why y'all want extreme consistency? She is a public figure who doesn't care about the environment? She doesn't even comment how it could be better in the future. A black hole of positions. She doesn't care about the environment just like how you should not care that folks criticize her.

If you have a problem with folks critiquing a billionaire about their use and flagrant suing of criticizing her jet use then you are too deep in Stan culture. She is a net negative for the world atm.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, she was in the news for suing a college student over them reporting on her public flight logs and that she had more than one jet.

Why y'all want extreme consistency? She is a public figure who doesn't care about the environment? She doesn't even comment how it could be better in the future. A black hole of positions. She doesn't care about the environment just like how you should not care that folks criticize her.

If you have a problem with folks critiquing a billionaire about their her use and flagrant suing of criticizing that her jet use then you are too deep in Stan culture. She is a net negative for the world atm.
Nobody has a problem with critiquing someone, the problem is making it solely about this one person to the point that they think it's valuable discourse to shit up literally every thread about that person. It takes a special kind of "bitch eating crackers" to do that

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
They're not even the first person in the thread, nor are they the only person here who has posted about it.

Either way, It's a mid Taylor album, with some milquetoast choices of songs. These could have appeared as a cut/unreleased song from any album from the past 10 years and nobody would question it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nobody has a problem with critiquing someone, the problem is making it solely about this one person to the point that they think it's valuable discourse to shit up literally every thread about that person. It takes a special kind of "bitch eating crackers" to do that
Clearly folks do have an issue with the critiquing. It is good they do. Why? It brings awareness to her flagrant disregard for the environment. Will it do much? Na. But in 10 years she will undoutedly have a different position because as time goes on even her PR team will have a hard time making it be a non-issue.

It really depends. Is her music more valuable than her environmental impact? The conversation will only grow as climate change ravages more of the world. And I am believer things will be better later on due to people's desire to make things better. She is tossing carbon in credits when it takes 1 google search to see it's BS. Maybe she needs as much knowledge environment as she did when she supposedly denied the crypto money due to issues.

It shouldn't be an issue to criticize and mock a billionaire for contributing to environmental harm. Want folks to target others? Bring them up.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
I find it quite interesting the disconnect between the general online reaction to this album on the internet compared to how its actually performing.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly folks do have an issue with the critiquing. It is good they do. Why? It brings awareness to her flagrant disregard for the environment. Will it do much? Na. But in 10 years she will undoutedly have a different position because as time goes on even her PR team will have a hard time making it be a non-issue.

It really depends. Is her music more valuable than her environmental impact? The conversation will only grow as climate change ravages more of the world. And I am believer things will be better later on due to people's desire to make things better. She is tossing carbon in credits when it takes 1 google search to see it's BS. Maybe she needs as much knowledge environment as she did when she supposedly denied the crypto money due to issues.

It shouldn't be an issue to criticize and mock a billionaire for contributing to environmental harm. Want folks to target others? Bring them up.
I got no skin in this game but I don't buy any of this sincerity for a second. Just reads like faux concerning as a pretext to shit up Taylor threads tbh

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I find it quite interesting the disconnect between the general online reaction to this album on the internet compared to how its actually performing.
I don't find it surprising at all honestly, the marketing was insane. Literally unlike anything I've seen before. She pretty much threw a wide net over the world and caught as many fish as she could with it

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020

Just gonna be honest, all your posts in here come across disingenuous asf.