Oct 27, 2017
I've been gaming since the 90s and honestly I'm not sure I have a favorite game. Not sure how people can definitively nail something like that down. Maybe I'm too indecisive.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Most of the time, I realize it when I'm bawling at the end.
There are exceptions of course, like Castlevania SOTN or Contra Shattered Soldiers and many others where , before the middle of the game, I was just so freaking amazed that nothing could have held them back from accessing God tier status.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Dragons Dogma did something special to me every time I would fight a new boss and find some wild way to get rid of them. Jumping onto the Watcher's eye ball and Dire Gouging the ever loving shit out of made me laugh out loud with joy in a way I hadn't in a long time.

SImiliar experiences out of bloodborne and DoA2 and GoW18....

Two moments for the last of us specifically -
"OK." alongside all the other fantastic character moments interlocked with this intense and insanely responsive violence.
And Factions. More than any other multiplayer of the last 2 gens - hooked me deep. It felt like the first TPS that translated almost every single thing from how you can play in the main game into this competitive area. Just so impressive and fun.

Oct 25, 2017
It was December 2001 and I had a ps2. So I had GTA3, Gran Turismo 3, MGS2, and FFX.

But instead of playing any of those, I was playing Secret of Mana on the snes for the first time. It was fucking magical.

Last edited:

Stavo

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
It's either the intro to Ocarina of Time, with Navi flying to meet Link, or the first episode of Resident Evil Revelations 2.

Both made me fall in love with the games and they're two of my all-time favorites.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Bayonetta 2's intro, as soon as Moon River started playing I knew my life was about to get changed

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Really the opening moments of every Team Ico/Fumito Ueda game. I still remember taking Ico home on launch day [immensely fucked up box-art and all] after following it's development in game magazines from it's initial reveal, and seeing the initial cutscene with the trees and the horse hoof hitting the ground and just knowing that you were playing something from a creator who was going to do things differently.

When it became one of the pillars in me finding the confidence to finally accept myself for who I am and move toward coming out. Game was The Last of Us Part II.
beautiful post

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Prob top 3 moments for me are as follows.

1. Lifting the master sword out of pedastal in OOT for the first time and then leaving the temple of time to find Hyrule Town destroyed.
2. Lots of moments in XBC1. The invasion of Colony 9, Reaching the top of Bionis, working your way through Mechonis.
3. Lots of moments in XBC2. Walking into Tantal for the first time. Climbing Elysium. Every Malos boss battle.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
Jumping down from the Great Plateau in BOTW I remember thinking I need to really pace myself and soak it all in because I wasn't going to find a game like this in long time.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was playing Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on a Saturday. I jumped on wanting to continue the story. I headed east for a mission and I came across a new town. I stopped to sell some stuff and possibly play Gwent. I noticed the Town Mission board. I grabbed a quest that was at my level. Decided to do it real quick while I was there. Long story short I stayed up until 3am that night and didn't play a single story mission. I found 4 new towns, did hunts and sides quests the whole time, and ended the night chasing down Gwent cards.

It was a genuine ADVENTURE. I never knew what was around the corner or what I was going to see. Not only that but I wanted to explore every inch. I was obsessive about it. That's when I realized that Wild Hunt was going to be an all timer for me.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
I'm not 100% sure what my favorite game of all time is, but my favorite games all have incredible moments I can recall that solidified that they were gonna be permanently ingrained in my mind.

Taking the elevator below the surface in Elden Ring was a big one.
Results of the bloody baron questline in The Witcher 3.
Opening segment of The Witcher 2. Honestly an extremely rare example of a game having significant impact on me right from the start.
Time travel in Ocarina of Time.
Climbing large monsters in Dragon's Dogma.
Overcoming a serious case of Skill Issue in Sekiro against Genichiro the second time.

Finding Naydra on Mount Lanayru. Nothing really prepared for that moment in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I was already really enjoying the game (maybe it already was my favorite), but that part just nailed it.
God that was such a powerful moment in that game for me too. Really solidified how special that game was gonna be to me.

Oct 26, 2017
My favorites are always cemented retroactively. While I was always enjoying these games immensely at the time and knew they were special it wasn't until later on, sometime years I really had the perspective to properly process my feeling towards them.

That said, if I had to choose a moment when it really dawned on me that a game was something truly special, it'd have to be....
The trial in Chrono Trigger.
bb2e9a16be23abc0d8174684d74a78cd.jpg

It just suddenly launched video game narrative to a whole new level compared to what I'd experienced before. The sense of drama, the sense of consequence.
And then it somehow managed to top itself by referencing actions I'd taken earlier on in the game, hours before. And at my age and with my frame of reference from all other games I'd played, those hours seemed like an eternity away.

I think it finally clicked for me that Chrono Trigger would be my nostalgic all-time favorite when I got to the part where the kids go into 2300AD for the first time and see the Day of Lavos recording.

Lavos wasn't their problem, or their kids problem or even their grandkids' problem. But they knew that it was something that had to be stopped. Immediately endeared me.

The thing I love about this part is that up until that point, they'd just been thrown from situation to situation running headlong from one minor adventure into another. It was unscripted, off the cuff, just a bit of a lark and even the trail and prison seemed like wacky hi-jinx.
The all of a sudden, shit just gets real. something legitimately bad has happened and they feel like they're in a position to do something about it. They make that conscious choice to start forging a deliberate path for themselves instead of just seeing where the next portal will throw them for the sake of it.

Still an all-time great video game narrative to me, despite all the huge leaps we've made in narrative delivery.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking with Liara on the Normandy, I think then the culmination of the setting, presentation, and gameplay (I still like ME1 gameplay!) hit me. Traveling to all the [mostly empty] planets. There was a great sense of discovery and mystery, even after realizing the formula would mostly repeat. And immediately proceeding to play through the entire game again twice more.

Making the long ladder climb in Central Yharnam, and taking baby steps to successfully get from there to beyond the pyre. Traversing that short stretch for the first time felt like a long journey, and I felt such a sense of accomplishment getting beyond it. And finally unlocking the gate on the other side of that lamp at the top of the ladder. My mind was legit blown (I'd never played a Souls game before).

Speaking to Evrart Claire for the first time in Disco Elysium.

A scene involving an old public phone and a call to someone important in Disco Elysium.

The reveal of Gary's full title in Disco Elysium.

I don't have a single favourite game. I can tell you that, when I read the following, I was convinced someone had made a game for me:

Disco Elysium, of course.
Was contemplating playing this sometime soon, but your posts and the game being on sale have convinced me that now is the time.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Red Dead 2 - first time walking through Valentine

View: https://youtu.be/s5y-WH1tpw0

And Mass Effect 1, I first played it cause I thought it looked cool and HATED it. Hard quit after citadel.
Played it a year later and Feros drew me in, dealing with the intricacies of their issues. I was in

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 1, the conversation with Sovereign and revelation that he is not actually a ship but a Reaper

I was already just so into this world and the characters, and then basically from the moment Sovereign is revealed, he drops that conversation atom bomb and then you're thrown into the gauntlet of killing a teammate, and then finding out Saren's plan and suddenly the Reaper threat is very very very fucking real and god, what a climax

There's a reason I have a 14 inch statue of Sovereign.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Right after Terranigma's ending. Probably one of the most beautiful endings in gaming.

Pacifaxe

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
West Sacramento
Ive had a good share of gaming bliss moments but I can't nail down a favorite:
1. Luigi's purple coins
2. Super Metroid: the second you start
3. MGR: I mean the first 20 minutes are astounding but the fight with Armstrong is a treat
4. World of Warcraft: having 2 healers and an enh shaman following you around in WSG while you windfury/hoj/sword proc with sweeping strikes up and laugh at the destruction.
5. Chrono Trigger: the fight with magus holllyyy shit
6. Ff6: Celes in the world of ruin
7. The sf series: hitting an spd that makes people lose their mental stack, suddenly you can jump in and do other stupid things.
8. Tetris Attack: Hey this story mode isn't too bad, oh it's Bowser.... Oh what is this.
9. Hollow Knight: Fighting the Mantis... And then it clicks
10. Sekiro: fighting madam butterfly and then it clicks
11. Super Meat Boy: all of it

Writing this list was great for me. I guess a favorite would have to illicit the most emotions from me in order to be considered the best game and still allow for creativity. This would be Chrono Trigger for me. But Hollow Knight is right there, followed by all these other gems.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
There's a moment pretty early on in The Witness where the thing happens and you realize the game is not just about solving panel puzzles. I never saw the game (or the world) in quite the same way ever again.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of moments in Mass Effect 2 gave me that feeling, but it was the Suicide Mission that sealed the deal.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Some new contenders; the run up to Nemesis and the reveal in Returnal. I haven't been that on the edge of my seat like for a really long time and the twists and turns of the story were genuinely surprising. Got through a few runs and put it down, but I'll be revisiting it soon no doubt.

www.youtube.com

PS5 Returnal - 3rd Biome Boss NEMESIS (includes cutscene for Act 1)

Not too difficult, strafing side to side does the job for the most part.I found the part leading up to him to be quite difficult, killed on 3rd try but that'...

Donning PSVR2 in GT7. This is a nice example, but really it was racing Toyota's group 1 hybrid around De la Sarthe that truly blew my mind... So fast, so fun. Mount Panorama at night, racing up Spa's Eau Rouge flat out, running lap times on Nurburgring from morning through the night 'til the sun comes up again. Every track feels new. I don't think I'm really "better" in VR, maybe eventually I will be, but I'm fairly on par and getting gold laps fairly consistently.

www.youtube.com

This Car TERRIFIED Me in Gran Turismo 7 VR!

First I want to apologise for the video being a little later than usual but due to illness it was almost impossible to make this video for the past few days ...

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I can't say there's ever a moment. I usually come to the decision much after I finish it, and I'm thinking about it.

While playing the game? I'm usually like "man this is really good", but I haven't set it above or below other titles I've played before.

Final Fantasy Tactics.

I thought so, thank you :3 been wanting to try this one out for awhile.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Walking through Zeal the first time in Chrono Trigger, just letting the whole experience wash over me...

I knew then I was playing something special. Feeling never left for the rest of the game.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I was almost there with Yakuza 0 and then it handed me the Cabaret Club and introduced the Obatarian, and that pushed it over from charming funny crime game to best ever for me.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There was never really a moment. For Kingdom Hearts, I had been following it since like…the start. I knew it was my favorite game when I saw that one piece of artwork where Sora is floating down to the blue stained glass station. I knew when I heard Simple & Clean in commercials. I knew with those dorky features on Disney and the mini-documentary. I didn't even have to play it and I knew it.

My other big favorite is TWEWY and I knew the first time I saw that ugly two-tone scan of it from a V-JUMP or Shonen Jump scan when it was first revealed.

I rarely play things and then know. I go into it already knowing it is going to be special in some way because I could tell before I even had to play it.

Crespo

Oct 27, 2017
First time I looped around Yharnam, echoes in my pocket, low on HP, and starving for vials. That was it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't happen while playing the game. It takes months or even years to fully form an opinion strong enough for the game to even come into consideration. The idea that someone could know during their first playthrough baffles me, especially in a medium where the flaws become more apparent on your third+ playthrough.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It wouldn't happen while playing the game. It takes months or even years to fully form an opinion strong enough for the game to even come into consideration. The idea that someone could know during their first playthrough baffles me, especially in a medium where the flaws become more apparent on your third+ playthrough.
My example (Fallout New Vegas) came during my third play through. It was a clear moment of a game jumping from "I like this game a lot, I'm glad I can play it again through backwards compatibility" to "Man, this is just the best game ever".

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When you send that first calling card and "Life Will Change" starts.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRBNp_opDio

This was soooo good.

A definitive P5 moment for me was during the 4th Palace boss. I was just so invested into the game at that point, the characters, Will Power playing, the personal stakes of that Palace, I was just having such a joy playing that I started tearing up with happy tears.

P5 opened up an entire world of entertainment for me, it's what got me into Japanese games and anime. It will always have a one of a kind place in my gaming heart.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Dark Lands when i went to a village and accused them of worshipping satan and had to fight the whole town when they transformed to demons.