CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
The scarbs crawling under that one dude's skin terrified me as a child. (and still does a bit an adult).

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Damn I won't be able to watch this in theaters because I'm on the

WRONG SIDE OF THE RIVERRRR

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
THE CHAIR ON THE BIG SCREEN ONCE AGAIN
JlaObHH.gif

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess this is thing going forward? Re-release of classics in theaters?

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess this is thing going forward? Re-release of classics in theaters?
It was always a thing from a theater to theater thing but seems like they are legitimate pushes from studios and 3rd parties doing them now.

I have Mummy tickets one week and Phantom Menace the next week lol

Last edited:

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
Still one of the best depictions of ancient Egypt in the flashback sequences, although riddled with historical errors, but also problematic in its depiction of fellow Egyptians.

Enjoy watching it though, so hopefully some UK cinemas do an anniversary showing in June. 👍🏽

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Still one of the best depictions of ancient Egypt in the flashback sequences, although riddled with historical errors, but also problematic in its depiction of fellow Egyptians.

Enjoy watching it though, so hopefully some UK cinemas do an anniversary showing in June. 👍🏽
I've some people say the use of ancient Egyptian language is fairly accurate. Any truth to that?

Rob's Zombie

Sep 28, 2022
Manchester, UK
I had the biggest crush on Rachel Weisz for years because of this film hell she looks awesome still, 14 year old me stood no chance when I first watched this.

Oct 27, 2017
A big W for the bisexual community and adventure movies enjoyers, you love to see it!

This made me wonder if I forgot something in the plot but apparently, this is a real totem of the bi community:

www.polygon.com

The bisexual movie canon reaches beyond the obvious

Seeking representation onscreen, the bi community has come together to make it by sheer force of will

The community calls movies like The Mummy "bi awakening movies." With mind-bogglingly beautiful people at every turn, every scene of a bi awakening movie raises the question: "Why do I have to be attracted to just one gender when everyone here is so hot?"

Pretty cool and it makes sense. So many movies up to the 90s paired ugly dudes with women way out of their league. I imagine this or The Matrtix

A big L for all Arabs and Egyptians though
I'm Iranian so I can't speak on how accurate it was to 1920s Egypt, but I imagine there were some liberties taken. Probably the biggest criticism is that the vast majority of the actors playing Egyptians were either white or Hispanic, while these days they would at least cast someone from the general MENA background.

Thankfully, they established that Beni is a white European at least.

Holy headphone warning Batman.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
I just turned 8 when my parents for some reason brought me to see this. I thought it was one of the coolest things I ever witnessed. The next Monday when my school had us draw our favorite heroes I drew Brendan Fraser lmao

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Christ, I'm fucking old. I was working at Circuit City in 1999 when scenes from this flick (I honestly can't remember if it was pre-DVD release or just trailer footage) was shown a lot in the A/V dept.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck yeah. This and The Lost World: Jurassic Park are two movies ive always wanted to see in theaters.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
I'm Iranian so I can't speak on how accurate it was to 1920s Egypt, but I imagine there were some liberties taken. Probably the biggest criticism is that the vast majority of the actors playing Egyptians were either white or Hispanic, while these days they would at least cast someone from the general MENA background.

Thankfully, they established that Beni is a white European at least.

Omid Djalili (the prison warden's actor) had some comments about the casting and caricature as well.
I have an Iranian background, so I was very aware that, if I ever did film roles, I had to represent Middle Eastern culture. This was at a time when there were very few Middle Eastern roles at all that weren't terrorists. Steve said, "We're looking for kind of Rifki from Midnight Express," and that was a Turkish warden who was really evil. I said, "Look, why don't we play him differently because, with all due respect to you, what you've written is not even one-dimensional. I can possibly get this to a two-dimensional stereotype." So I did this piece to camera, it had nothing to do with the script, and he said, "That's great. Does it have to be so funny?" And I said, "The only way I can do this without being lynched by my own people is to make it slightly humorous." Then someone said, "What are you doing between April and September? Because we've seen 65 people for this role. I think he wants you."

In the same interview, Arnold Vosloo imagines that if the movie were made today, they would at minimum cast an Egyptian as Imhotep.

Lots of good stuff in the interview.
ew.com

Snakes, sandstorms, and strangulation: The making of 1999's 'The Mummy'

'The Mummy' director Stephen Sommers, star Brendan Fraser, and more recall the creation of the beloved 1999 blockbuster.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
Omid Djalili (the prison warden's actor) had some comments about the casting and caricature as well.

In the same interview, Arnold Vosloo imagines that if the movie were made today, they would at minimum cast an Egyptian as Imhotep.

ew.com

'The Mummy' director Stephen Sommers, star Brendan Fraser, and more recall the creation of the beloved 1999 blockbuster.
Casting an Egyptian actor as Imhotep would be the bare minimum along with any other individuals depicted from the Dynastic era and plenty of Egyptians in the contemporary roles.

Oct 27, 2017

ew.com

Yeah, that type of desperate script salvaging was (still is?) pretty common for a lot of middle-eastern actors at the time. Great bits in that interview, seems like the actors really had no idea what to expect as they were making the movie and got a lot of lucky breaks.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed this was one of my favorite movie-going experiences way back. Just pure entertainment.

Never did see the third film, how awful was it?

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I watched this about a year ago for the first time since the theater. Rick (Brendan) treats Evelyn (Rachel) like absolute shit for a while until he falls in love with her. It's like a Hallmark movie in that respect. He also sexually assaults her when they first meet, as I remember. So fun. So cool.