• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Have been slacking. Aside from Kong v. Godzilla, I wouldn't have seen any of their movies this year in theaters.

Probably gonna change with Dune though.

Judas and the Black Messiah was also excellent. Aside from the movies mentioned, most of them were boring or awful

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed Suicide Squad. I haven't seen anything else. I'll check out Dune on it this month though.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You missed the master piece that is Malignant? We have The Matrix coming up and The Sopranos prequel. I've been loving it. Will ride this train until it's over.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Thats not really the fault of HBO Max though? I've been enjoying em. These are all movies I would've gone to see in theatre.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
theyve had more hits than misses thats for sure, but it did its job and generated some hype for HBO Max which launched with pretty much nothing worthwhile.

will people stick around next year when they take it away though? we'll see

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have been slacking. Aside from Kong v. Godzilla, I wouldn't have seen any of their movies this year in theaters.

Probably gonna change with Dune though.

Judas and the Black Messiah was also excellent. Aside from the movies mentioned, most of them were boring or awful
Suicide Squad came out, you might just be a person that hates good movies and rather waste your money in the movie theaters and regret all that money and wasted time

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I noticed that too. Most of those movies would have underperformed even before COVID. Almost all of them were stinkers or disappointments.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Saw Suicide Squad at home, going to see Dune in the theater. It'll be my birthday week. BirthDune.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disney+ could have got $30 out of me if they offered Shang Chi for Premiere access. Instead, I'm just waiting until it's on Disney+.

Sophistry

Banned
Jun 12, 2021
Malignant was great. Pretty much everything else was okay. Dune will be great too, though I almost want to go to a theater to see that anyway.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It's been great for me. A few movies that were right on that cusp where I probably would have gone to the theater to see them in the beforetimes, but would have been annoyed I spent money on the tickets after seeing. Then a few I ended up enjoying that I normally would have waited to see when they were on VoD. Still seeing the bigger ones like Dune and Matrix in theaters, but it's cool that I have the option to watch them at home.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
The Suicide Squad was good and I would definitely gone to go see it in theaters if I didn't have Max but Kong vs Godzilla was trash and I only watched that due to lots of alcohol and being bored.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
theyve had more hits than misses thats for sure, but it did its job and generated some hype for HBO Max which launched with pretty much nothing worthwhile.

will people stick around next year when they take it away though? we'll see
"Nothing worthwhile"

they have a back catalog of some of the best shows ever made.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I prefer watching all this stuff at home. And even if I have to wait for VOD or streaming, I'll most likely do that unless it's something I'm dying to see. But the theater experience in general is such a crapshoot, I don't like spending the money on tickets and food only to end up in a theater with half a dozen people treating it like their living room.

MorganFreakman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Def been underwhelming so far. WW84, Cry Macho, the Little Things, and Reminiscence weren't good. Kong & Suicide squad were decent. Haven't seen space jam & malignant yet

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think they would've done this if they thought they had a particularly strong slate of movies this year? Should've been obviously from the get-go what we were in for (with limited exceptions).

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Movie theaters are dead to me. Home theater, and pause / rewind buttons are the way to go.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand your complaint. Like at all. It's been great getting this stuff Day 1. Not everything is going to be for you.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I wish I had seen In the Heights in the theater. Fantastic movie that didn't get the love or attention it deserved.

Judas and the Black Messiah was good as well, and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for a ticket for TSS as it was in that totally fine range.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat, Suicide Squad and Malignant are all films I would have seen in theaters anyway and really enjoyed (maybe a little less so for MK but didn't hate it). Dune and Matrix are both highly anticipated for me too. Not to mention my son watched Space Jam like 10 times when it was on Max. I definitely appreciate the day 1 releases.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat, Suicide Squad and Malignant are all films I would have seen in theaters anyway and really enjoyed (maybe a little less so for MK but didn't hate it). Dune and Matrix are both highly anticipated for me too. Not to mention my son watched Space Jam like 10 times when it was on Max. I definitely appreciate the day 1 releases.
Mortal Kombat is up there with Silent Hill; Revelation in terms of me going: "What the fuck am I watching?"

Just a rancid movie. Happy I didn't spend money directly on it even though by the metrics I did.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I had seen In the Heights in the theater. Fantastic movie that didn't get the love or attention it deserved.

Judas and the Black Messiah was good as well, and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for a ticket for TSS as it was in that totally fine range.
I'm mad it took 33 posts for someone to bring up In the Heights. It's been my top movie of the year since I saw it and actually bought the 4k Blu-ray for it when it released. Definitely didn't get the love it attention it deserved. I did get the chance to see it in the theater and it was a great experience. There was something about seeing my culture on the screen in a positive light that inspired me in ways that surprised me.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather see these movies in a theater, but won't until there's a vaccine mandate for theaters. So I've not been watching ANYTHING.

I'll watch The Many Saints of Newark at home. That'll be my very first day and date HBO MAX streaming release for me.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope everyone that's calling Malignant a masterpiece is joking.

I just finished watching it, and it made me want another Sam Raimi horror movie.

Metal Gear?!

Jun 26, 2020
Let's rate the HBO Max Same Day As Theater releases so far:
DmoB9qz.png

And here's what's left for the year (and forever):
Ak4vnMS.png

Mortal Kombat is up there with Silent Hill; Revelation in terms of me going: "What the fuck am I watching?"

Just a rancid movie. Happy I didn't spend money directly on it even though by the metrics I did.
I hope everyone that's calling Malignant a masterpiece is joking.

I just finished watching it, and it made me want another Sam Raimi horror movie.
Malignant was the exact kind of incredibly dumb and stupid gory fun that Mortal Kombat should have been, but wasn't.

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie it was kinda nice being able to watch theatrical release movies that I would not have otherwise gone to the theater for. I really enjoyed In the Heights, The Suicide Squad, and Malignant. I really wish I saw Malignant in a packed theater though, knowing now what it is lol

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I watched Malignant without even knowing it was a theatrical movie.. lol.

I plan on watching Dune in theaters first, I'll watch it again the next day on HBO.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Count me in the "i would love if premium day 1 releases continues" even if you have to pay a little more.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
yeh, but no one is in a rush to pay 15/month to watch old shows, their HBO Max originals barely even made a blip on anyones radar, they had to do something.
Legendary was fantastic, and Love Life was fun. They also launched with the complete Studio Ghibli collection, the first time they had been on a streaming service in NA.

You're also forgetting the complete back catalog plus everything that was currently airing on HBO.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I found Dune totally dull and it's easily Villeneuve's worst film IMO, but you should see Dune in the cinema, if only to send Hollywood a message that these kind of big, unique movies are financially viable.