• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 3, 2018
I'll admit my ignorance as I had assumed that this project was basically like the Deadwood movie and something for the fans to watch at home. But seems that he wanted it to be something people go to the cinema for.

DEADLINE: This prequel was an easier sell, but because WarnerMedia put its entire 2021 slate as day-and-date on HBO Max, you are back on HBO. How did that feel?

CHASE: I don't think, frankly that I would've taken the job if I knew it was going to be a day-and-date release. I think it's awful.

DEADLINE: It is kind of ironic that here you make a theatrical film based on the iconic HBO series, and it's coming out day-and-date on something with HBO in the title. What did you feel when that edict came down?

CHASE:
Extremely angry, and I still am. I mean, I don't know how much you go into this, you know, like…okay. If I was…one of those guys, if one of those executives was sitting here and I was to start pissing and moaning about it, they'd say, you know, there's 17 other movies that have the same problem. What could we do? Covid! Well, I know, but those 16 other movies didn't start out as a television show. They don't have to shed that television image before you get people to the theater. But we do. And that's where we're at. People should go see it in a theater. It was designed to be a movie. It was…it's beautiful as a movie. I never thought that it would be back on HBO. Never.

DEADLINE: You really could have walked away from this?

CHASE
: Yeah…I mean, well, I say that…okay. I could've walked away, yes, but there was a part of that story where my partner Lawrence was saying come on, let's get to work. Let's do something, do something, do something. It'll be good for you. Now, do you walk away from that? I don't know.

Thoughts? Would yall go out to see this if it was only releasing in theaters for the initial period? I honestly don't see myself doing it in that scenario, and I have rewatched Sopranos 6 or 7 times at this point.

Via Deadline;

deadline.com

David Chase On Reviving ‘Sopranos’ Spirit With ‘The Many Saints Of Newark’ And High Interest In Another Prequel Film

David Chase Reviving Sopranos Spirit The Many Saints Of Newark Disdain For Day & Date HBO Max And High Interest In Another Prequel Film: Q&A

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm going to criticize Nolan for his shit, then I need to do the same with Chase. Stop thinking about yourself, dickhead. Again, I know that ATT/Time Warner don't really care about me, they just want to get people hooked on their streaming service. But, it's working. I appreciate that I can watch The Matrix and The Many Saints of Newark without worrying about getting Delta.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I watched one of my favorite movies of all time in a VLC window shaped like the Lilac PSP lol. Who gives a shit.

If I was…one of those guys, if one of those executives was sitting here and I was to start pissing and moaning about it, they'd say, you know, there's 17 other movies that have the same problem. What could we do? Covid!

Absolute brainworms

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think this would have done well in theaters so it might be a blessing in disguise that more people will see it this way.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't relate to this emotional connection people have to the "theater experience." I hate having to go to a theater. It is a materially inferior endeavor compared to watching something in the comfort of my own home. I would never go to a theater again if all movies were available day-and-date on home media.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Yeah it's hard to see how this would have done well in a normal environment...I'm a huge Sopranos fan, but it's been a loooong time and the trailers haven't exactly moved me

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I saw The Green Knight in a theater. There were literally 2 other people there. I cannot imagine going to a theater for a movie like Spider-Man. Filled to capacity with children (who through no fault of their own) that are unvaccinated. I sure as hell wouldn't go to a theater for a Sopranos prequel. That's the ONE movie that SHOULD BE on HBO Max!

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I understand his frustration, but at the same time, fans of the hit series want to see it where they saw the series.

This movie seems like it's tailor-made for big fans of the TV show, and not so much general audiences.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
I get people love theaters. But I'm loving this. I got a big ass tv. My couch and a great sound system. Oh and drinks and snacks and a pause button if I gotta piss.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I love going to the theater, but I'm really not sure how it would benefit a Sopranos movie over watching it at home.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I've been looking forward to The Many Saints of Newark, I have zero interest in going to a movie theater to watch it. My enthusiasm has remained so high in part because I can stay home and watch this on HBO Max.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
All of the hyperventilating by directors on this HBO stuff has been ridiculous and I absolutely hate it, but this guy does have a slight point. There is a difference in your mind if you hear "Sopranos prequel announced for HBO" compared to "Sopranos prequel announced for theater" purely because of its origin. The first has a bit of a stigma to it. Might be a cash in sort of thing to get eyeballs.

That said, I still think all this fretting fucking sucks and I want things on streaming day one even if I have to pay a bit more or something.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
I originally thought this was supposed to be a mini series when I heard about it. It's not TV, it's HBO.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I can't fucking hear it anymore. Rich Hollywood douchebags only caring about themselves, about prestige and the "theater experience". We have a worldwide pandemic with 5 million dead people. Your movie isn't important. How out of touch are these people?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I saw The Green Knight in a theater. There were literally 2 other people there. I cannot imagine going to a theater for a movie like Spider-Man. Filled to capacity with children (who through no fault of their own) that are unvaccinated. I sure as hell wouldn't go to a theater for a Sopranos prequel. That's the ONE movie that SHOULD BE on HBO Max!
I don't think I've ever seen a Spider-Man movie in a theater filled to capacity with kids. Including when I was a kid!

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
You know it's okay that he's angry. God forbid an artist have a preference for how their art is presented. He understands it's Covid. But he's allowed to be angry about it too.

But I know a lot of people simply do not care for artists at all. They just want content to devour. So really it's those people we have to satiate not the people that put the effort into creating the work. So we can all be glib and tell artists to shut up and that they should fuck off and never express dissatisfaction. Content above all else.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, until about a week ago I thought it was a series, and was disappointed it wasn't.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching a movie on a 90ft screen with a great Soundsystem trump's whatever home theater set-up one could have, unless you actually have a theater in your home.
If you're sitting in a normal sized living room you can absolutely get theater quality sound from even modest speaker setups. Bonus is that you can actually dial in the volume/EQ yourself to perfectly suit your room/sensibilities.

Going to the theater is a fun thing to do with friends. Better A/V at home.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
If you're sitting in a normal sized living room you can absolutely get theater quality sound from even modest speaker setups. Bonus is that you can actually dial in the volume/EQ yourself to perfectly suit your room/sensibilities.

Going to the theater is a fun thing to do with friends. Better A/V at home.
I live in an apartment complex I'm not going to be that guy.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't relate to this emotional connection people have to the "theater experience." I hate having to go to a theater. It is a materially inferior endeavor compared to watching something in the comfort of my own home. I would never go to a theater again if all movies were available day-and-date on home media.
For me theaters are better, I got a crappy tv and I can't watch anything at a decent volume cause I have thin walls and get noise complaints if I dare put it an an acceptable volume so I have to turn on subtitles which also ruins the experience.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Watching a movie on a 90ft screen with a great Soundsystem trump's whatever home theater set-up one could have, unless you actually have a theater in your home.

Stuff looks better on my TV than any theater screen I've ever sat in front of. I don't care how "big" it is. Things appear bigger of you sit closer to them, y'know.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Shit, until about a week ago I thought it was a series, and was disappointed it wasn't.

Prequel series should be about expanding the existing story in new and interesting ways. This is a story that has been told and just needs some context, people, a time and place.

Too much stretching out and the small story gets too small.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Stuff looks better on my TV than any theater screen I've ever sat in front of. I don't care how "big" it is. Things appear bigger of you sit closer to them, y'know.
If you are going to say sitting close to a 65inch screen is the same as a 90ft screen your really killing any honest debate.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
I don't get the whole 'shedding the tv image' -- if anything, TV has been leading the way, with Sopranos being one of the reasons why

Dance with the one that brung you here

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
You know it's okay that he's angry. God forbid an artist have a preference for how their art is presented. He understands it's Covid. But he's allowed to be angry about it too.

But I know a lot of people simply do not care for artists at all. They just want content to devour. So really it's those people we have to satiate not the people that put the effort into creating the work. So we can all be glib and tell artists to shut up and that they should fuck off and never express dissatisfaction. Content above all else.

its a matter of choice. if people wanna watch that shit in a theater, they can, if they don't, that's cool too.

you'd think artist would want as many people to enjoy their work as possible, in the way that best suits them.

unless you're on a mobile phone or some shit, a bigger screen isn't actually changing what should be most important. this isn't Lawrence Of Arabia.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Idk I don't think this is that bad. He's saying he's frustrated by the circumstances, which is pretty fair IMO

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
These directors need to jump off the high horse.

Ee0lf0NXsAYH0-K.jpg

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly most movie theaters suck. I do not have any real imax screens near me. Picture quality on a good tv looks 100x better than theaters

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Avatar was the same experience at home as it was in theaters?

Never saw it. But I can confidently say I've never seen a movie that I enjoyed more in the theater than at home.

EDIT: Since the advent of HD, I should clarify. Obviously theaters were better when we all had CRTs.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been a big fan of the theater because the experience is something of a crapshoot on any given day. I love being able to just watch this stuff at home without having to put up with inconsiderate people.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
So how far out are we from streaming day one being the norm but something else annoying filmmakers?

"I made this movie to be enjoyed at the cinema or at the home… I don't want people watching my work on god damn VR headset!"