vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1750527030264017032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1750527030264017032%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
Alongside the layoffs, Blizzard president Mike Ybarra has decided to leave the company. "As many of you know, Mike previously spent more than 20 years at Microsoft. Now that he has seen the acquisition through as Blizzard's president, he has decided to leave the company," says Microsoft's game content and studios president Matt Booty in an internal memo.
Microsoft plans to name a new Blizzard president next week. Allen Adham, Blizzard's chief design officer, is also leaving the company. "As one of Blizzard's cofounders, Allen has had a broad impact on all of Blizzard's games. His influence will be felt for years to come, both directly and indirectly as Allen plans to continue mentoring young designers across the industry," says Booty.
Blizzard's previously announced survival game has also been canceled as part of these changes. Booty says Microsoft will be "shifting some of the people working on it to one of several promising new projects Blizzard has in the early stages of development."

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Was not a fan of Ybarra. From my understanding he didn't allow folks to work from home, leading to large exodus of talent from Blizzard.

Sad to hear about the survival game tho.

"Ybarra allegedly made a bizarre comparison to his and other executives' pay packages to those of rank-and-file employees, appeared to downplay the value of QA and customer service roles at the studio, and defended the company's decision to slash annual profit-sharing bonuses," GameDeveloper.com reports. "If you think that executives are making a lot of money and you aren't, you're living in a myth," he told workers. As GD notes, some Irvine QA make as little as $22 an hour ($45,000 annually), so it's unclear why Ybarra would suggest otherwise because we're quite certain he's not making merely $45,000 a year.

Moreover, some current Blizzard employees were hired as remote employees and live offsite, and Blizzard's long-talked-about poor wages, coupled with a reduction in the bonus that is supposed to buffer those wages, won't pay for relocation to or cost-of-living in the expensive Irvine location. Blizzard workers at the meeting apparently pointed out that the move will result in talent losses that have already been ongoing and well-documented for the last several years, which Ybarra apparently dismissed by suggesting that some roles aren't long-term roles anyway and that people need to do what will make them happy, i.e., if you don't like to work in-office, you should leave.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Wait... Jez Corden said the game was like 90% complete and would be announced soon? what the hell happened?

Fossora

Jun 14, 2023
Mike Ybarra was a great leader to have from a raiders POV because you always knew there was someone up top who understood the concerns of the players. Adham is a real OG as well - wasn't he a co-founder of Blizz?

What shit news. I hope both end up in good places.

Edit: I stand corrected, it seems like Ybarra was not a good guy to work under.

Last edited:

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf? We better get some insider info, cancelling that project makes no sense. Everything we heard the development was going very well.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
How unimpressive was that game that they'd cancel it this close to being done and given how popular that genre is right now? MS doing some wonky shit.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WTF. The only thing I've been interested in from Blizzard in years.

AAA studios really need to take a crack at this genre.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I had always been very clear to me that Ybarra would not continue.

He left Xbox/Microosft because he wanted to do something different, so he's not about to go back in the same thing he left.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
Wow I thought that survival game would be just the kind of thing to put Blizz back on the map. So disappointing.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Mike Ybarra was a great leader

Ugh... dude kind of seemed like a piece of shit.

Blizzard Employee Meeting With Mike Ybarra Reportedly Lowered Morale Over Remote Work, Pay | MMORPG.com

Blizzard Meeting Reportedly Leaves Developers Frustrated (gamerant.com)

Blizzard workers are furious after a 'demoralizing' meeting with their boss - Polygon

(2) Blizzard pushing to end remote work (Ybarra involved in decision) | ResetEra (This is an era thread - I would recommend people read through it).

Mike Ybarra sucks so he leaving is good, but that's basically the SINGLE thing good thing about all this shit.

I agree with this.

Ybarra gone will be a MAJOR loss to the Blizzard player community, WoW's atleast, shits fucking dire.

Him being gone is good for Blizzard as a whole. Dude was trash.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
Mike Ybarra sucks so he leaving is good, but that's basically the SINGLE thing good thing about all this shit.

Mike Ybarra was a great leader to have from a raiders POV because you always knew there was someone up top who understood the concerns of the players. Adham is a real OG as well - wasn't he a co-founder of Blizz?

What shit news. I hope both end up in good places.
No he was not. He fucking sucks.