• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vonbon

Jun 4, 2018
Isn't the game self published by FromSoft in Japan? I highly doubt that the Western release will have anything in it up for purchase that will drastically change the game compared to the Japanese version. Also most games Activision publishes that has even a hint of microtransactions has that same note in the description on PSN. It could be literally anything, but it's probably nothing that effects the game in a major way. Either way we'll find out eventually I'm sure.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Disappointing if it's more than cosmetic, and even then paid cosmetic DLC is hardly great, but people have proven they're happy to pay for skins, so we can't really close Pandora's box at this point

Happy to wait and see what it is before throwing the game under the bus

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Easy folks, could be just some random shit like the hats for the little ghoulie guys in Bloodborne or something. Probably preorder DLC for the obligatory $70 digital deluxe type stuff. From is in control here, they aren't going to go full Destiny

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
i'm surprised people are gonna skip/boycott a Miyazaki game because of some mtx. it can't be that bad.

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, if you feel strongly enough about microtransations then not buying the game at all or buying it used sends the best message. Not saying that in relation to this game specifically but generally. If you buy the game you are basically endorsing the practice and its presence within the game.

Not true. If you buy the game and don't buy microtransaxtions, it actually speaks louder because they're looking at the percentage of buyers who purchase micro transactions vs those that don't. THey don't know or care about the lost sale of the game if they're making it up in microtransctions.

The more people that buy the game and don't use micro transactions, the lower the percentage. Not buying a game is never going to make micro transactions go away.

I've never met a micro transaction that was crucial to the game. I've never purchased a microtransactuon other than DLC. ANd I've never deprived myself of a great game.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
I know cosmetics have been mentioned through here, but couldn't this also be something like story/game expansions or the like? Or would that have different wording in the description? Cause this could be a good thing, like From supporting the title with content post release.
I know DLC can really be lame. Something like "buy lives" would be easily skippable. But it can also be something cool they are planning, like more added to the game. Just have to wait and see.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I'll buy the game and not buy the microtransactions, same as every other game this gen

I'm not quite getting this uproar

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
FromSoftware had to know better than Activision.

I mean, was their only choice EA and Activision, and they chose the lesser of two evils?

Res

Oct 25, 2017
rcRfH4L.png

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Not true. If you buy the game and don't buy microtransaxtions, it actually speaks louder because they're looking at the percentage of buyers who purchase micro transactions vs those that don't. THey don't know or care about the lost sale of the game if they're making it up in microtransctions.

The more people that buy the game and don't use micro transactions, the lower the percentage. Not buying a game is never going to make micro transactions go away.

I've never met a micro transaction that was crucial to the game. I've never purchased a microtransactuon other than DLC. ANd I've never deprived myself of a great game.

No, by your logic including microtransactions is a win-win for devs. Even the people that don't like them still end up giving them money for the game and the MTX money on top is just the gravy. In this scenario there is literally no reason at all not to include them. The only way this equation swings against including them is if having them means actual lost sales, as in getting no revenue at all from users who don't like MTX. And nobody needs to deprive themselves of anything. Those that don't want to support these types of practices can always buy any game used.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the fact that to my memory no soulsborne game had ANY in game purchases announced before game release or even until many months later.

There's none announced for this game either. It being listed on a store page really doesn't mean anything. I think assuming day 1 DLC is a bit of a leap.

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
There's none announced for this game either. It being listed on a store page really doesn't mean anything. I think assuming day 1 DLC is a bit of a leap.

Its already in the shop discription. this has never been the case before. My bet is Activision trying some shit because this is a new game and people might not jump at their throats like people would if this were a souls game.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait this game is £60?

Hey, one less game to worry about getting. Nice.
That'll be the RRP, and it's set at that price by the publisher. You'll always find it cheaper physically. Here's a good interview from 5 years back that might have come up elsewhere

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-28-sony-explains-ps4-digital-game-pricing

We put Eurogamer readers' complaints to Fergal Gara, who runs PlayStation in the UK. He told us that the launch pricing of games on the PlayStation Store was affected by Sony's desire to keep shops on-side during the crucial console launch period.

"Digital pricing is an interesting question to raise," he replied.

"First of all, we want to support a healthy retail channel, so it's not in our interest to go and seriously undermine retail."

Gara added that shops often price games lower than RRP in an effort to attract your business - more aggressively in the UK than in other countries.

"Let's not forget the UK is probably the most competitive retail space there is in the world. So when it comes to any recommended retail prices they will frequently choose to price significantly below them.

"You mentioned Amazon as an example. Amazon control their own pricing. We don't set the pricing. So if they decide on some crazy low prices they'd like to charge their customers, that doesn't mean it's appropriate for the PlayStation Store to match or follow that price. These are effectively all independent retailers."

Despite this, Gara expects digital pricing to lower after the launch of the PS4 to something approaching parity with high street prices.

On the last point that hasn't borne out quite so well but the full article is worth the read.

Oct 28, 2017
i fully expect a later implementation of online component, either invasion or pvp. activision will probably want the game to have longer legs if they're putting microtransaction in it

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Its already in the shop discription. this has never been the case before. My bet is Activision trying some shit because this is a new game and people might not jump at their throats like people would if this were a souls game.

You have to include that line of text for the European/UK version for any additional content so dlc expansions, preorder bonuses etc. Dark souls had it too

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

This is how I feel. I'm actually kind of surprised by the number of people in here saying they will boycott the game based on some sort of unknown microtransaction aspect. Don't most games have some sort of DLC these days? Cosmetics, deluxe editions, expansions etc.

I never really buy this stuff (unless I love a game and it's a fully fledged expansion) but if I passed up every game that has this stuff... I would miss out on a whole lot of games!

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, by your logic including microtransactions is a win-win for devs. Even the people that don't like them still end up giving them money for the game and the MTX money on top is just the gravy. In this scenario there is literally no reason at all not to include them. The only way this equation swings against including them is if having them means actual lost sales, as in getting no revenue at all from users who don't like MTX. And nobody needs to deprive themselves of anything. Those that don't want to support these types of practices can always buy any game used.

Micro transactions ARE a win/win for developers. A few texture swaps here, a new model here, nothing crucial, and they get money from people who want unique items or a early leg-up in the game. It's not like MTX are some devious scheme. It's no different than grocery stores putting candy bars and drinks at the checkout line. They're impulse purchases.

I would rather my money go to the developers by buying new than to Gamestop/some other company by buying used. GameStop is making +200% profit if you buy used from them. I'd rather my money go to the people who worked hard to make the game.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Micro transactions ARE a win/win for developers. A few texture swaps here, a new model here, nothing crucial, and they get money from people who want unique items or a early leg-up in the game. It's not like MTX are some devious scheme. It's no different than grocery stores putting candy bars and drinks at the checkout line. They're impulse purchases.

I would rather my money go to the developers by buying new than to Gamestop/some other company by buying used. GameStop is making +200% profit if you buy used from them. I'd rather my money go to the people who worked hard to make the game.

this.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017

That's what I said: they wouldn't be a win-win if their presence prevented enough people from buying the game.

That's fine if you are supportive of MTX model but many people aren't and don't want to support the practice. Those that feel very strongly about it should not buy the offending game or buy it used which is where this conversation started.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza Kiwami 2 has the same text. Are we jumping the gun? Or is it just placeholder/plain text?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how any sort of MTX could ever threaten to ruin the fun I plan to have with this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you thinking youre proving there, kid. My post still stands to reason why people would assume that was the case given Activision's history in addition to the description listing possible MTXs.

Nope, From mentioned having full creative control straight away, and you, as well as a lot of others, made the assumption you wanted to make despite contradictory evidence.