• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Great. Military in charge of dangerous first hop out of Kabul, enlisting the civvies to help with the rest.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Miami Beach Police Ordered to Stop Enforcing Law Used to Charge Only Black Bystanders Filming Cops After Slew of Problematic Arrests

lawandcrime.com

Miami Beach Police Ordered to Stop Enforcing Law Used to Charge Only Black Bystanders Filming Cops After Slew of Problematic Arrests

The Miami Beach Police Department announced that it will temporarily suspend enforcement of a recently enacted law that has been used by officers to arrest bystanders using cell phones to film police making arrests.

These Police Officers seem like a problematic gang.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

E9Zb16eXMAEYvpw

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Biden, who gets on TV multiple times per week essentially begging people to take preventative measure, mask up, get vax'd, etc, is getting blamed for the Delta variant explosion.

What hope does this country have when the people are so fucking stupid?

Oct 27, 2017
Well, for all the parents who have been and have to send their kids into densely-populated germ zones without sufficient covid protections, the mood is terrible. There's not enough wage help for the caregivers still out of the work force. Congress can't move fast enough on the rest of infrastructure, since that bill will be worked through through same time this covid wave surges nationally. Nursing homes in my state are getting hit with covid - again.

The polling may get worse in September.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting out of Afghanistan and closing off a 20 year boondoggle and only getting a four point hit is amazing. I'll take that any day of the week.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Biden is getting hit with COVID although it was mentioned that he was pushing the vaccine multiple times per week. Even here at Era, I heard people say he was "silent" or wasn't doing anything, so it is clear to me the messaging wasn't getting out there. There was also massive federal aid that governor's pretended was them bailing out the state. Most likely it was just not carried by the media, who have instead propped up these terrible governors and practices instead of placing blame squarely at the feet of those responsible.

He is getting reamed on the economy meanwhile Wall Street is doing quite well. I think perception is huge and the narrative is being shaped by a media who almost appears hostile to this admin.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
There's a GFM for that latest GOP clown self-own. It mentions his wife was also hospitalized with covid, or as the GFM says, "an unexpected battle with the China virus". It has a pic of the clown wirh Daddy Clown.

Only $3.5K raised toward the $200K goal.

www.gofundme.com

Help for Pressley Stutts Family, organized by Walt Horin

South Carolina’s longtime Freedom advocate, Pressley Stutts, was a beloved patriot who los… Walt Horin needs your support for Help for Pressley Stutts Family

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Another GOP clown here. He fought against masks and the vaccine, fomented conspiracy theories, then spent his final weeks in hospital (Why? I thought he didn't trust medical science?) and on a ventilator. Dead.

www.greenvilleonline.com

Greenville County GOP leader Pressley Stutts dies from COVID-19

Greenville County Republican Party leader Pressley Stutts died Thursday morning after battling COVID-19 for nearly a month.

At least these true believers back up their misguided words with actions, even if it ends up killing them, which still makes them slightly less bad than cynical dudes like Tucker, who promotes anti-vax talking points while I'm 100% sure he's been vaccinated himself.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
If supermarket prices keep climbing and the labor shortage remains, it's going to sink Biden. It's literally all that matters, IMO. And around where I live, all people are talking about is climbing prices for everyday items.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Biden is getting hit with COVID although it was mentioned that he was pushing the vaccine multiple times per week. Even here at Era, I heard people say he was "silent" or wasn't doing anything, so it is clear to me the messaging wasn't getting out there. There was also massive federal aid that governor's pretended was them bailing out the state. Most likely it was just not carried by the media, who have instead propped up these terrible governors and practices instead of placing blame squarely at the feet of those responsible.

He is getting reamed on the economy meanwhile Wall Street is doing quite well. I think perception is huge and the narrative is being shaped by a media who almost appears hostile to this admin.
It's gotta be infuriating for the administration. They've been repeatedly criticized by many in the media and from the entire right wing for being "COVID, COVID, COVID" all the time and being so aggressive in their health and safety push.

They've basically been waging a war on the virus and yet they're now getting slammed in polls on their handling of it when the red state governors are the ones fucking everything up.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wouldn't the most critical thing be the overall rating from registered voters? It's basically unchanged.

Edit: And hopefully full FDA approval tomorrow starts allowing for more aggressive vaccine requirements. Frustration from people could just as well be that they feel the vaccine should be mandated where possible and he's getting dinged for that not currently being the case. But that's just my baseless speculation.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the overall is a four point drop from April, in a poll with a margin of error of 3.1 points. As the northeast goes back to school it will widen.

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
It is gonna get worse before it gets better but with vaccine mandates slowly coming into effect + full approval for vaccines coming up + signs inflation is temporary I'm not too concerned about the approval numbers right now. It's more good news that Americans don't give a shit about foreign policy as I suspected

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
If supermarket prices keep climbing and the labor shortage remains, it's going to sink Biden. It's literally all that matters, IMO. And around where I live, all people are talking about is climbing prices for everyday items.

well every day prices are not climbing. So those people should pull their head out of their ass

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
You do realize that price changes can be regional, right? This absolutely can be happening in areas.

such as what? That has nothing to do with the Biden administration as opposed to regional supplier issues or any variety of common problems. Food is up 1.6% over prior year. So as I said people can pull their head out of their asses

supermatt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even mad at that hit on coronavirus handling, tbh. It's becoming kind of increasingly obvious that the admin wasn't really prepared for a new wave and despite all the talk about variants, didn't really have any alternative plans drawn up in case a new variant demonstrated vaccine resistance, or was more deadly, or was more contagious, or showed an increased ability to infect children... The plan was basically dump as much vaccine out there as they could and hope for the best, and to be fair, it was working pretty well until Delta came along, but the response since Delta became dominant hasn't been great.

I defended the CDC's updated mask guidance back in May, but their actions since then have become increasingly reactive and seemingly based on incomplete data or poor analysis. While there's something to be said for being overly cautious when it comes to this pandemic, all it's doing is resulting in increased confusion. First, when they reinstated the guidance that vaccinated people should wear masks, it was based on findings that vaccinated people with breakthrough cases were exhibiting similar viral loads as infected, unvaccinated people. Even at the time a lot of experts were saying that didn't necessarily mean vaccinated people with breakthrough cases were as contagious as unvaccinated people, but they plowed ahead anyway and now surprise, surprise, today a new study comes out that shows that while they may carry similar viral loads, vaccinated people are actually less infectious than unvaccinated people with the less infectious original strain.

Similarly, the guidance for boosters for the general population is starting to seem more and more like a last ditch attempt to right the ship than anything else. The data from Israel is not as clear as they'd like to pretend and experts have been arguing about what it really shows for months, now, but the CDC is once again forging ahead with this strategy. Which is fine, I'll take a booster, whatever, except their 8 month guidance is based on essentially zero actual data and seems more of a political maneuver than anything else. The data would seem to indicate protection starts to wane at the 5 or 6 month mark, but we can't say that, because we have a lot of people who should have gotten boosters a month or two ago and we can't cause a panic, so we'll say 8 months instead because why not? The implication to this is that vaccination wasn't really picking up for most age groups until April/May in a lot of the country, which means based on CDC guidance they won't be eligible for a booster until after the holidays, but their protection against infection may already be waning. So we'll have a lot of people desperate to see family this year over the holidays because they weren't able to last year and they'll think they're more protected than they really are and we'll probably see another wave that peaks higher than it really should have due to faulty guidance.

Meanwhile, it's taken them entirely too long to take any kind of fight to red state governors who, it's been obvious for more than a year now, are completely uninterested in protecting their populations. Finally, the admin is putting up some kind of fight for the mask mandate bans in schools, but these are the same people who like a month ago were saying children didn't need to wear masks in schools just to completely change course like a week later and say hey you know what, actually, they should be wearing masks.

So now you have vaccinated people completely confused about how protected they are and how contagious they are, pissed at unvaccinated people for not getting a damn shot. Unvaccinated people are pissed that they're facing new restrictions because the uncontrolled spread primarily brought on by their refusal to get the shot. We're only now starting to see some movement on vaccination mandates and I understand the whole "it's only authorized for emergency use" reasoning, but the fact that we've seen mandates issued before it has been fully authorized means it was probably actually possible all along, they just didn't want to have the fight.

Biden asks businesses to do the right thing and require vaccination for employees and even customers, but there's zero funding or guidance available to actually help them do that. We're still using flimsy, easily lost, easily forged paper cards to hold vaccination records and the federal government is completely uninterested in creating a more durable system for verifying vaccination and doesn't seem to be offering any support to states that do want to implement such a system. If I lived 15 minutes away, I'd be in New Jersey, where I can use an app to access my vaccination record and use it as proof for entry to various places, but no such mechanism exists in PA, so any place that does want to mandate vaccines is stuck trying to verify the authenticity of a picture of a card on someone's phone. So sure, beg places to do the right thing, but give them some means to do so, maybe? More places may be willing to require vaccination for entry if there was a more surefire way to verify someone's vaccination. But instead we'll just continue to fire off a tweet every day saying "vaccinations are available all over the country, get yours today!"

Everyone is done with this, for better or worse, but we all still have to navigate it in our daily lives. Why wouldn't we express discontent with the administration who was supposed to take this seriously and get us out of this mess? Is it better than how Trump handled it? Sure. But that's not a high bar to clear. They did a good job getting enough vaccinations out there, and they passed the relief package early on. They deserve credit for those things. But the situation has changed since then, and the current situation is going to require a lot more than what they've shown a willingness to do thus far although they have picked up the pace every so slightly the past couple of weeks.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody can dispute it:

I've Done More For The Black Community Than Any President Since Abraham Lincoln

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
such as what? That has nothing to do with the Biden administration as opposed to regional supplier issues or any variety of common problems. Food is up 1.6% over prior year. So as I said people can pull their head out of their asses

You know this and I know this.

The average American doesn't and places blame on politicians. That's been a fact for decades. If you don't think that constant rising food prices up to an election would hurt the president's chances of being reelected, I don't know what to tell you.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
They did a good job getting enough vaccinations out there, and they passed the relief package early on. They deserve credit for those things. But the situation has changed since then, and the current situation is going to require a lot more than what they've shown a willingness to do thus far although they have picked up the pace every so slightly the past couple of weeks.
Willingness to do what? The booster talk at 8 months seems reasonable IMO. I see that as being done for economic reasons. The cost to keep people topped up is negligible compared to the crippling cost of lockdowns, and what that also does to the stock market. What do you suppose they do to red state Governors or states full of Trumpers to change the course there? Those folk are lost. There's nothing Biden can do, and I don't blame him for it. You also have to weigh up the optics of how it looks to vaccinate everyone in first world countries again while there are large parts of the world yet to get much or any vaccines.

I don't agree that the guidance we're getting is confusing. We've known for a long time that its a layered solution of vaccination, distancing, sanitizing and masking, and that as cases (or rather now, hospitalizations) rise in localized areas then those areas should push for stricter rules temporarily. Biden can't do that from the federal level. That's on the states and counties.

I resent the theater of how I'm fully vaxxed and generally being safe, e.g. I haven't sat inside a restaurant or touched a strangers hand or face since this started, but I'm still expected to keep doing even more, seemingly indefinitely since I doubt we'll ever reach herd immunity, while the idiots among us who refuse to get vaxxed and refuse to mask or distance are doing 95% of the damage. Punish these assholes. They're the public health problem, not me.

One example is the international flights I was on recently to/from the US. Everyone on the flight tested negative just before, most were likely vaccinated, and it has a filter system better than an operating theater, yet we still had to wear masks for 8+ hours. The public health benefit of that is negligible, I mean how is a negative tested and fully vaccinated person going to infect someone else with that air filtering? People can mask up if they want, and if the airline wants to mandate it for employees benefit, sure I'm OK with that. But as a federal public health solution? No.

Meanwhile, in my home state the restaurants are packed, with no masks and probably not enough people vaccinated. So where is the problem exactly? Is it me on that plane, or is it the unvaxxed and untested yahoos in that restaurant? I'm tired of this focus on masks which doesn't seriously address the real problem: idiots not getting themselves vaccinated. That's the problem, and that is the solution. I don't agree with paying them for being idiots. Do what France did, start restricting them from society. Of course that's not trivial either. I've heard for instance that the EU has a digital passport system, but Britain doesn't, and even if it did it wouldn't be recognized by the EU's. More vaccinations is our way out of this, not more masking or lockdowns.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020
The primary failure of the Biden administration with regard to COVID is that they've been far too slow to support vaccine mandates and implement them where they have the power to do so. The carrot/stick balance has been weighted far too heavily toward carrots. We need more sticks. A lot more sticks.

Take a vaccinate mandate for air travel, for instance. Absolutely something the administration has the power to do, and yet they haven't done it yet. I don't get it. They were also far too slow to require it for federal workers and service members. I'm glad they got there, but what took so fucking long?

All of the mask stuff is small potatoes compared to vaccination.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The primary failure of the Biden administration with regard to COVID is that they've been far too slow to support vaccine mandates and implement them where they have the power to do so. The carrot/stick balance has been weighted far too heavily toward carrots. We need more sticks. A lot more sticks.

Take a vaccinate mandate for air travel, for instance. Absolutely something the administration has the power to do, and yet they haven't done it yet. I don't get it. They were also far too slow to require it for federal workers and service members. I'm glad they got there, but what took so fucking long?

Agreed. Is the concern that Manchin/Sinema won't go along with it? Obviously no R's will do anything that's truly pro-life.

Oct 27, 2017

Except for elementary schools currently.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
He was vaccinated in January. Those booster shots are gonna be necessary for older folks.
Them getting Covid is not shocking. They are elderly and they do allot of work in communities. Even taking the best precautions, anyone can get sick*. Lets hope the vaccine protects them from the worst case scenario.

*Yes, I know the infection rate for vaccinated people is incredible low.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Covid, I can agree with. Biden literally advertised July 4th as "Independence from Covid". Both that and the CDC mask mandate being lifted were way too soon, short sighted and the results were entirely predictable. We saw how the UK had been dealing with Delta and they had higher Vax rates. The CDC has been particularly frustrating and confusing this entire pandemic. They seem to remain oblivious as to how the American public reacts to their advice.

Inflation will be a problem that goes away and will doe down naturally. The media has hammered away and capitalized on the 'Inflation' talking point though.

I don't think the numbers are worrisome right now but still dissapointing. However, I wish the media wasn't always on 10. Biden's presidency started off with them thirsting for blood. They threw a fit that they didn't get a press conference with Biden and then blew it talking about a manufactured immigration crisis.

I'm curious if Biden's infrastructure plan could increase his approvals. Seems like nothing major has been passed since the stimulus checks.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I guess food is rising and did in July and the months before:

www.google.com

Prices are still rising. Here's what's getting more expensive

America's prices are continuing to rise as the economy recovers from the pandemic, and consumer wallets are feeling the squeeze. If you're looking for a bright side, though, prices didn't rise as much in July as in prior months, indicating that price increases might at least be slowing down a...

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Covid, I can agree with. Biden literally advertised July 4th as "Independence from Covid". Both that and the CDC mask mandate being lifted were way too soon, short sighted and the results were entirely predictable. We saw how the UK had been dealing with Delta and they had higher Vax rates. The CDC has been particularly frustrating and confusing this entire pandemic. They seem to remain oblivious as to how the American public reacts to their advice.
This is the first line of the CDC's mask page:

"If you are not fully vaccinated and aged 2 or older, you should wear a mask in indoor public places."

It also states,

"If you are fully vaccinated, to maximize protection from the Delta variant and prevent possibly spreading it to others, wear a mask indoors in public if you are in an area of substantial or high transmission."

Seems like reasonable guidance from them?

My main issue with the CDC was the way they covered for Trump's failure back at the beginning, when they knowingly lied about masks being useful because PPE for healthcare workers was so low, because Trump did absolutely nothing to prepare with the three month warning he had, or the three years before that ("the cupboards were bare", he'd lament, three years into his own tenure which means it's his fault).

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017

One example is the international flights I was on recently to/from the US. Everyone on the flight tested negative just before, most were likely vaccinated, and it has a filter system better than an operating theater, yet we still had to wear masks for 8+ hours. The public health benefit of that is negligible, I mean how is a negative tested and fully vaccinated person going to infect someone else with that air filtering? People can mask up if they want, and if the airline wants to mandate it for employees benefit, sure I'm OK with that. But as a federal public health solution? No.

Meanwhile, in my home state the restaurants are packed, with no masks and probably not enough people vaccinated. So where is the problem exactly? Is it me on that plane, or is it the unvaxxed and untested yahoos in that restaurant? I'm tired of this focus on masks which doesn't seriously address the real problem: idiots not getting themselves vaccinated. That's the problem, and that is the solution. I don't agree with paying them for being idiots. Do what France did, start restricting them from society. Of course that's not trivial either. I've heard for instance that the EU has a digital passport system, but Britain doesn't, and even if it did it wouldn't be recognized by the EU's. More vaccinations is our way out of this, not more masking or lockdowns.
I mean I, and countless other people, work 8-12 hour shifts five times a week wearing a mask doing physical activity running, moving and standing around for 12-18 months. Sorry that you had to be asked to do so.

Also, this completely ignores kids under 12 and immune compromised people which don't have a vaccine. I don't think there is anything to lose by waiting a bit longer and not leaving kids/immune compromised behind.

This is the first line of the CDC's mask page:

"If you are not fully vaccinated and aged 2 or older, you should wear a mask in indoor public places."

It also states,

"If you are fully vaccinated, to maximize protection from the Delta variant and prevent possibly spreading it to others, wear a mask indoors in public if you are in an area of substantial or high transmission."

Seems like reasonable guidance from them?

My main issue with the CDC was the way they covered for Trump's failure back at the beginning, when they knowingly lied about masks being useful because PPE for healthcare workers was so low, because Trump did absolutely nothing to prepare with the three month warning he had, or the three years before that ("the cupboards were bare", he'd lament, three years into his own tenure which means it's his fault).
We all witnessed the events of 2020 and how 1/2 the country thought it was overblown or a media hoax. We know that half this country doesn't believe in the virus or the threat. It was entirely predictable the moment that the CDC changed their guidance what would happen. Which is the people that likely weren't wearing masks unless forced to, also don't bother with any other health and safety measures such as vaccinations.

Also seems like Biden and the CDC were once again placating Republicans when deciding to lift the mask mandate:

"(There's) one area we can use some help from the White House and others, and that is modeling what a fully vaccinated person can do," Utah's Republican governor told the Democratic leader of the nation on Tuesday. "We have fully vaccinated people. We should start acting like it."

"That's a good point," Biden said.

Addressing some criticism that the federal guidelines for vaccinated people have been too cautious, Biden also acknowledged "we've gone a little slower to make sure we're exactly right."

www.deseret.com

Why was President Biden talking to Democratic and Republican governors about COVID-19 vaccine rollout?

New poll shows most Utahns approve of way governor is handling pandemic response

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I guess food is rising and did in July and the months before:

www.google.com

Prices are still rising. Here's what's getting more expensive

America's prices are continuing to rise as the economy recovers from the pandemic, and consumer wallets are feeling the squeeze. If you're looking for a bright side, though, prices didn't rise as much in July as in prior months, indicating that price increases might at least be slowing down a...

we already covered this in the thread. Year over year month comparisons are stupid when the entire economy was still largely locked down in July of last year. Of course prices are up relative to then but they are not up much more when you consider a 24 month window. aside from very specific anomalies like car sales there isn't really an inflation boogeyman going on right now, it's simply the media twisting numbers to make a headline.

As I mentioned in my previous post food is up less than 2% over a 12 month span. Annual Inflation alone is pegged at 2%. So again I'll ask, what rising prices?

Aug 12, 2019
I do think it's absolutely fair to be quite critical of the Biden administration's handling of Covid at this point and that after the rollout of the vaccine to the general public, it didn't feel like they really had much together for next steps and just seemed to stake entirely too much on the vaccine. The initial push for vaccinations was the right approach and much needed after the Trump administration's nonsensical and lazy approach that barely even acknowledged Covid, sure, but there was too much focus on pushing the idea of a victory too soon and they also seemed wildly unprepared for any reality in which spread picked back up to this degree. Having the whole "you can take off your mask if you're vaccinated" as a major push was a bad idea many people pointed to at the time and it backfired spectacularly on them without helping drive vaccination numbers. Sure, the science of vaccinated people going without a mask at the time was there, but even then the vaccination rates were nowhere where they needed to be to justify encouraging less mask wearing and it was a toothpaste out of the tube moment for mask wearing as a whole that hasn't really recovered sense. I get what they were going for, but I think it was short sighted and there needed to be a much more active push on vaccines then as opposed to now when it's so late into such a major surge.

I don't honestly know why there wasn't more of a federal mandate sooner with the vaccines. As soon as the supply issues were figured out, they should have pulled the trigger on further requirements for anything the federal government had control over. I also think they should have pushed the FDA a little harder even if I again understand the theory of trying to not rush things after the recent public skepticism of the FDA because of how much their approval enables lots of other pieces to fall in various mandates. And especially considering they also really wanted to push a back to school ideology for the fall, and while sorely needed for many educators and students, having that big of a push with no protection for kids 12 and under also speaks to not really taking the precautions they should have and focusing too much on a victory. The high number of kids impacted by this wave are triggering a lot of people's concern and putting parents in increasingly untenable positions that force that force them to make decisions that have extremely serious and potentially deadly ramifications for their children. I think that push for in person learning without sufficient protection for children was a large and costly misstep.

And I think in general, the administration has lacked much preparation for new strains and the most recent push to encourage third doses is a political calculation more than a scientific decision, and it's also likely to a costly one if other things aren't brought under control. We're still figuring out long term how the vaccinations will react, but it's important that people, not just in the US but globally, receive their first and second shots to help control the spread before we get into the increasingly likely possibilities of vaccine resistant strains that put us much closer to square one than people care to admit. We've got the WHO and many global health professionals sounding the alarm on the low vaccination rates of less wealthy countries and how we're just continuing to create breeding grounds for the virus and its mutations in the process. And the Biden administration's push for a third dose feels born out of a need to make certain US citizens feel safer with a questionable tactic rather than sound science that's going to help the world actively begin working through the virus.

We can absolutely fault a lot of individual's for their politicization of the virus and its treatments and for the people who have refused to get their shots when they had the opportunity. They undoubtedly hold a lot of blame, but I think, at this point, there's plenty of reason to be upset and frustrated by the Biden administration's decision making with the virus and what feels like them increasingly reacting to things as opposed to taking any sort of lead on the matter. It's certainly better than the Trump administrations efforts by several degrees, but I think this kind of volatile and widespread virus was going to be a near impossible challenge to contain in a country like the US and I do absolutely think the Biden administration's efforts have left more and more to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.