• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
The stranger-than-fiction story of how Mohammed bin Salman welcomed the 60-year-old movie star into his kingdom—and his circle of trust.
www.vanityfair.com

Inside Johnny Depp’s Epic Bromance With Saudi Crown Prince MBS

The stranger-than-fiction story of how Mohammed bin Salman welcomed the 60-year-old movie star into his kingdom—and his circle of trust.

Paywalled, but summary of some points from The Hollywood Reporter:

Johnny Depp has struck up a "bromance like no other" with Saudi Arabia Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, aka MBS, says a Vanity Fair profile.
And after getting a royal tour of the Saudi Kingdom, the Pirates of the Caribbean star is eyeing a possible seven-figure deal to become a global cultural ambassador as he shoots movies in the country.

"Though I admit I was somewhat naïve at first to what was transpiring in the region, I've since experienced firsthand the cultural revolution that is happening there," Depp told Vanity Fair.
The magazine profile reveals Depp over the past year has spent around seven weeks in Saudi Arabia, touring the country and getting a firsthand look at its cultural renaissance led by MBS.

"I've had the opportunity to meet people from various parts of the region who have been most welcoming in sharing with me their culture, their traditions, and their stories," Depp told the magazine after The Hollywood Reporter earlier reported he and MBS had become best friends.
Vanity Fair also reported Depp got up the courage to ask MBS about what happened to the Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who was killed and dismembered by Saudi agents in 2018.

The magazine profile added that with an "earnest expression, MBS began laying out his argument that Khashoggi had become a rogue operative working with the country's enemies to undermine the crown prince's reform agenda."

The magazine profile insists MBS did not see Khashoggi as a journalist, but "a corrupt enemy of the state, putting its future at risk for hidden motives." But an order by MBS to arrest Khashoggi had been apparently misunderstood by Saudi operatives.

"Consistent with his public statements, MBS told Depp he didn't order the murder but nonetheless took responsibility," the profile stated. The result is Depp has been recruited post-Khashoggi for a push by MBS and Saudi Arabia for legitimacy in the global film community.
At the same time, it's understood there's no meeting of minds between Depp and MBS in the political realm. "There is a friendship there based on an appreciation of film, culture and regional progress. They do not discuss or align on global politics," a source close to the Hollywood actor told THR.

Depp has his own need to polish his brand after a British court first ruled against the Hollywood actor in a defamation case over The Sun referring to him as a "wife-beater." But that was followed by Depp prevailing in a defamation suit he filed against Heard in the U.S. and where he was awarded over $10 million.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Johnny Depp and Saudi Prince Have “Bromance Like No Other”

Vanity Fair reports the ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ star also asked Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman about the death of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Prepare to be Depp-washed.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
lol wat

Imagine having so much money/fame/whatever that you just exist beyond morality.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Oct 27, 2017
what the fuck

The magazine profile added that with an "earnest expression, MBS began laying out his argument that Khashoggi had become a rogue operative working with the country's enemies to undermine the crown prince's reform agenda."

The magazine profile insists MBS did not see Khashoggi as a journalist, but "a corrupt enemy of the state, putting its future at risk for hidden motives." But an order by MBS to arrest Khashoggi had been apparently misunderstood by Saudi operatives.

"Consistent with his public statements, MBS told Depp he didn't order the murder but nonetheless took responsibility," the profile stated. The result is Depp has been recruited post-Khashoggi for a push by MBS and Saudi Arabia for legitimacy in the global film community.
Come the fuck on

Did the operatives mishear "detain" as "dismember"???

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Well you see Captain Jack Sparrow, it was all a misunderstanding. I told them "I will misremember Khasoggi" and they thought I said "kill and dismember Khasoggi". That's what I get for not enunciating"
"Ahh MBS, as an actor I understand, there's nothing worse than having to do another take of a scene because you couldn't get the words out"

I'd call Depp a useful idiot but I doubt he'll be useful to MBS because this stuff only makes him look worse

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Right-wingers screaming about wOkEnEsS in Hollywood wanting movies to promote more conservative values again, this would be how they get it. With Saudi money flowing into studio and star coffers.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
MBS could have probably found a better actor to use as a useful idiot than Depp. I'd have held out for a Hemsworth.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
honestly can't believe VF would run that bullshit about Khashoggi

the whole section reads terrible, even if it's not inherently presented as true it's still giving air to a completely false and destructive narrative

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Maybe all the weirdos that are still obsessed with this washed up Dollar General Keith Richards cosplayer can start making Depp x MBS fancams now.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
MBS could have probably found a better actor to use as a useful idiot than Depp. I'd have held out for a Hemsworth.

even with Depp being unemployable at this point you gotta be out your mind to think one of the non-Chris Hemsworth brothers have nearly as much cache anywhere

forget a multi million dollar tourism ad deal, they could maybe operate a fruit stand over there

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good grief 🤨

Is he really that unemployable though or his salary isn't anywhere near 40 million or whatever if he was offered a gig. Dude is a mess.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
with the way people were singing Depp's praises during the trial, and the fact that the outcome is largely characterized as vindication for him, I don't know that I agree.

In terms of actors, Depp is likely the MOST useful idiot a dictator could ever hope to recruit.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
even with Depp being unemployable at this point you gotta be out your mind to think one of the non-Chris Hemsworth brothers have nearly as much cache anywhere

forget a multi million dollar tourism ad deal, they could maybe operate a fruit stand over there
I'd make it work.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
honestly can't believe VF would run that bullshit about Khashoggi

the whole section reads terrible, even if it's not inherently presented as true it's still giving air to a completely false and destructive narrative

If it's supposed to be a puff piece it fails miserably. But you just know there's some of his fans that hear that "explanation" and say oh yeah that makes sense.

Oct 31, 2017
This is terrible.

He was in, what seemed to be as an outside observer and person who experienced a similar situation, in a pretty abusive relationship. So in a way, it's not too shocking that he'd be woo'd by a brutal leader such as the Crown Prince of SA.

If you are in a relationship with a personality like it seems like he might have been, you may likely come to understand much better the authoritarian/personality cult leader who all tend to be pathological narcissists and master manipulators. And the personality types who tend to fall into relationships with those kinds of pathological personalities might often find themselves falling back into them regularly, in vicious cycles.

So to see this is just awful on many levels. Read the first quote and it kind of read to me like someone head over heels in love, bamboozled by what they were seeing/feeling/experiencing; blinded by the grandeur and the feelings they were experiencing as a result of the other party.

Dude has issues he needs help with, and he's not going to get the help in a situation like that. Pretty shitty.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The Dennis Rodman/Kim Jong Un play.

First thing I thought.

"You hear all these bad things about this guy and what a sociopath he is, but he was really nice to me! He took me on a lovely tour and showed me how great everything is and how well everyone is doing in his country! He loves movies too! What a great guy!"

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
notlikethis-matrix.gif

No Johnny, no! Don't fall for the Saudi lies!