• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No shit, stop crowding the holiday months because you're trying to chase that Christmas cash, the industry has completely over-saturated the market there's no way all these titles are going to meet expectations other than the R* title because they are the biggest pedigree in the industry.
I think part of the reason R* games are such monumental hits is because they don't release their games annually, or even semi-annually. Their new GTAs and RDRs are events because there's only one every 5-8 years.

The industry should consider rolling back their annual & semi-annual franchises and limit them to 2-3 titles a gen. Invest in new franchises or revive old ones in the years between.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
No shit, stop crowding the holiday months because you're trying to chase that Christmas cash, the industry has completely over-saturated the market there's no way all these titles are going to meet expectations other than the R* title because they are the biggest pedigree in the industry.
No lies detected, all these empty summer and spring months with kids looking for shit to do. It should be a no brainer

Does Spider-Man not count as a fall game?
Technically the first day of fall is Sept 22nd, don't know how it relates to the business calendar

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Besides BFV and BO4 what other games are included here? Certainly not Spiderman or Smash.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being such a behemoth that you literally affect the entire gaming market during the busiest quarter

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No lies detected, all these empty summer and spring months with kids looking for shit to do. It should be a no brainer

Technically the first day of fall is Sept 22nd, don't know how it relates to the business calendar
There wasn't a single marquee AAA release in the month of July or August and those are primo months for kids just getting out of school to spend some dosh. Freaking Monster Hunter releasing a PC port 5 months after it's initial release sold a shitload because the market is dying for something. These publishers never learn. You can still capitalize on the holiday season with clever marketing.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sony and Nintendo seem to have this figured out as they spread their releases through out the year.

Sony in particular likes to frontload the first quarter which is smart. Unfortunately, people then criticize their holiday line-up as if they haven't been releasing big games all year but whatever.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad EA's newest mishandled game is tracking ahead of a previously mishandled game. If their ultimate team scams ever fall apart, they're in trouble.

Titanfall date was made by the developer at the time, not EA.

And no, EA isn't going to be in trouble regardless of what people wants. That's not how it works.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony and Nintendo seem to have this figured out as theu soread their releases through out the year.

Sony in particular likes to frontload the first quarter which is smart. Unfortunately, people then criticize their holiday line-up as if they haven't been releasing big games all year but whatever.
And even then their holiday line-up still moves units, sells consoles and does exceedingly well. Uncharted sells through an additional several million when it releases and that's an annual Q1 release like it really shouldn't be this difficult to understand that all these big droughts in late spring and summer do is just throw money away.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm interesting to know. As already pointed out extremely high expectations and high digital sales are key points to bear in mind- I don't think a Black Ops game is even possible to sell poorly lol, even if RDR2 is having a noticeable impact.

And SSBU is surely an exception here. People interested in both will almost certainly buy both and they are definitely very different enough to both do extremely well I'd imagine.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "EA has a plan for BF5" line got me good.

This is basically EA's fallback statement with most of their big releases.

Mass Effect Andromeda launches and is mocked heavily. "We've got a plan to fix it!"

Battlefront 2 is built on a rotten loot box scheme and is blasted everywhere for it. "We've got a plan to fix it"

Now BF5. They've got another plan.

You know it is actually possible to just release a finished $60 game that doesn't pull any bullshit.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sony and Nintendo seem to have this figured out as they spread their releases through out the year.

yeah they killed it with God of War and Horizons. Movie companies are learning to spread stuff out, the game companies would be wise to jump ahead of the curve

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people on this forum were doubting the amount of success RDR2 will have? "It's a western and those aren't very popular" "the first RDR only sold 10 mil".

People need to accept that the game will be huge. And that the online portion will make boatloads of money

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is going to have an absurd, pants on head stupid attach rate for console sales I can already feel it, something like 75%.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's obvious BFV isn't going to bomb. It's one of the biggest franchises around. The second biggest shooter behind COD and has a huge core fan base. It's true it's core PC fan base has diminished in the last few years. But still. It's going to sell many many millions.

It's also clear that nothing will come close to touching RDR2 this year sales wise. That thing is going to clean up.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 and the attitude that everyone needs to "clear the way" for it
I'm sure RDR2 is going to do great (substantially better than the first game, in fact), but the idea that it will kill literally everything else strikes me as misguided and facile. GTA5 was a slam dunk success in 2013. It did not stop Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, and Pokemon X/Y (among other games) from also doing fantastically well that year.

People act like the mainstream gives a shit about red dead is the only thing I can figure.

I'm not saying RDR was a bad game, it just doesn't have the mainstream appeal as some of the bigger franchises that release around that time of year. I highly doubt it's going to impact sales for titles releasing around it.

Well that thread hasn't aged well. The only games that are going to be mostly safe are going to be the Nintendo titles, due to different audiences and these blockbusters not being available on Switch to serve as competition. Never understood people doubting this game's impact. Rockstar isnt every other publisher.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 and the attitude that everyone needs to "clear the way" for it

Well that thread hasn't aged well. The only games that are going to be mostly safe are going to be the Nintendo titles, due to different audiences and these blockbusters not being available on Switch to serve as competition. Never understood people doubting this game's impact. Rockstar isnt every other publisher.
I mean, one outlet's pre-order trends aren't indicative of final sales performance lol. I do think Smash, AssCreed, Pokemon, Fallout, and CoD will do well regardless.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, one outlet's pre-order trends aren't indicative of final sales performance lol. I do think Smash, AssCreed, Pokemon, Fallout, and CoD will do well regardless.
They will do well, but they could do better if they didn't try and all compete with each other and the biggest gaming event of the year. Doing well can still be under expectations.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I thought preorders (not sales) were in major decline lately? So, are these games pre orders low already accounting for the new normal, or are they just not accounting for the new reality?

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Fortnite has anything to do with this.

My little brother would be so over Spiderman / cod but these days all he does is play Fortnite and doesn't care about anything else aside from the latest vbucks and battle pass stuff.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Logic dictates that Spiderman is a Summer game not fall, so not included.

Also, since RDR2 isn't launching on the Switch to my knowledge it's not going to be competing with any Switch Fall games; ergo Switch games aren't being referred to here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Super Mario Party does good. Mario Party always does at least a million I think. This should do even better with the return to proper Mario Party and being on the Switch.