• Five stars - masterpiece

Votes: 105 10.8%
  • Haven't seen it/don't care

Votes: 90 9.2%

• Total voters

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I didn't see it. The trailers completely turned my wife away from it and any of the friends I would've seen it with lost interest by the time it came out.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
It's okay. Very derivative of all the movies it was "inspired" by without really having much of its own take on them. The cinematography was fantastic and Joaquin's performance was great, but it's pretty hollow as a movie.

Cool that it exists, though. I'm happy WB are taking risks with their properties.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Decent. They wanted some form of realism but tackling mental health issues is going to be hard when the main character is the Joker.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so tired of Batman stuff showing up everywhere so I haven't seen it, even though I'm a fan of Phoenix's acting usually.

Oct 30, 2017
It's an incredibly average script brought to decency by one of Joaquin Phoenix's best performances that rivals Heath Ledger's. Without him, it'd be awful.
Nah, Phoenix was good but Ledger disappeared into his character. The thing with Phoenix's take on Joker is that he emulates his character from The Master a lot. Mainly in the sociopathic explosive behavior. He's a pathetic, angry, mentally ill man indoctrinated into a dangerous belief system.

I just saw Phoenix rehashing an old character at times. Still an excellent performance, just felt too samey.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it.

The lead up for it will always be funny to me. Especially on here with the extreme hot takes.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it.

The lead up for it will always be funny to me. Especially on here with the extreme hot takes.

Yeah. It was weird to see folks vilify a movie in a similar way to how people used to demonize video games a couple decades back. I lost a lot of respect for critics who acted like releasing Joker was some sort of violent act.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
My letterboxd history says I gave it two stars and that sounds about right from what I remember. Movie was pretty poorly written, and I didn't really care about the character or saw any reason to sympathize with him during the course of the film.

There are other movies in this vein that do a much better job with their characters and story, and the only thing that made this film noteworthy is Joaquin Phoenix's performance, which elevates the eye roll worthy script to something that feels special.

I can see people liking it if they haven't seen a ton of films in this genre before. But like, go see Goodfellas or King of Comedy too.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's fine with aspects of it bordering on good. It's extremely derivative of the classics that inspired it and I think it would have been a wash were it not for Phoenix's terrific performance. Even still, he channels a lot of the same mannerisms and energy from his character in The Master so for me it wasn't as fresh as Ledger's take. It's pointless comparing them though, they're both different performances suited for their different tales on the character.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Great cast, solid performances, overall technically sound, but the plot is just a meandering mess.

All of the fear-mongering is really funny in retrospect because ultimately the movie has nothing to actually say. It gestures at saying several different things but it never actually makes a point about anything - arguably the only point it makes is that there is not point and that not having a point is the only honest point, though I'm most likely projecting my own impressions at least somewhat. It's surreal, I've never watched a film that I wanted to see and left with no reaction to it whatsoever.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Meh. If the movie wasn't named Joker (and it didn't need to be), I don't think anyone would have cared about it and nothing would have started the whole violence hype thing before it was released.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. It's carried hard by Joaquin's performance and the incredible score though.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just hope it got more people to watch the superior You Were Never Really Here. Or the Scorsese films that it's paying a homage to.

For how not well thought out the politics are, is the tone-deaf needle drop of a pedophile's song.

Last edited:

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I thought it was good. Joaquin Phoenix's acting was great.

To me, it seemed like a strange combination of a film that was trying to be both entertaining and kind of pulpy but also "artsy" and serious at the same time. This didn't always work, but it overall I thought it succeeded.

Last edited:

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
A good film, nothing more, nothing less. A facsimile of much better and more original Scorcese films, however. The second best Taxi Driver-inspired film starring Phoenix after You Were Never Really Here.

All of the concern that it would cause an incel crime spree was hilariously pathetic.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Below average movie that is elevated to a solid 7/10 from Joaquin Phoenix's performance - I don't regret seeing it but I don't think it had anything especially poignant or interesting to say and don't really have an interest in seeing it again

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Gorgeous shot movie with an amazing score, Phoenix was suberb.

The movie has some amazing moments but also bad moments.

The fact that they got Deniro to play this weird role and have Mark Maron for a couple of seconds is baffling.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Suuuuuuuuper nihilistic in the very real way.

I thought it was bold and interesting when I first saw it at the time.

But any amount of reflection I put into it since makes me embarrassed. The movie definitely thought it had something to say. I don't actually think it does.

3/5

Pretty though.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I though it was a silly movie that took itself waaaaaaaay too seriously and was pretty damn boring to boot, but we got some good memes out of it.
Also the whole controversary about it was so unwarranted by what was on screen that I'm gonna become the joker a "they made the whole thing up for marketing reasons" truther.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
It's okay.

Well shot, acted, composed, one really solid meme in the era of COVID, but weirdly forgettable in a lot of ways. The completely needless "Hey look it's the Waynes getting shot" part left a more sour taste.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I liked it well enough but my general view if the film has been negatively shaped by the "Omg such a deep movie"-cultural discourse around the release from (probably younger) people who mostly watch cookie-cutter mainstream blockbusters.

Yes, I'm this much of an elitist asshole lmao

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Overall thought it was pretty trite. I think we could all walk away from the film being embarrassed about the discourse around the release. The movie didn't deserve the attention it got.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix elevates it. Just felt very muddled with what it was trying to say, despite touching on some interesting things.

I hate to trot out the common "It's just King of Comedy + Taxi Driver" line, but both of those movies were better.

Aug 13, 2019
All flash no substance. I was surprised when Tarantino said it did a good job of putting the viewer in the mind of a serial killer or something along those lines. There's to a single scene in that movie that made me think "Yeah, I want to see the Joker kill these people." The reveal with Zazie Beetz's character was incredibly weak.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Good movie. Phoenix is the reason to watch. Pretty awesome performance.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
5/5 what a ride that movie was. But moreso the absolute paranoia this movie generated from people thinking there'd be some incel uprising or shooting, etc. Some embarrassing hot takes from here especially. I found it to be a once or twice in a lifetime watch and then never re-watch it again. Simply because I remember the movie vividly from start to finish, so I have no desire to ever re-watch it again.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good film, great acting, but the movie hit a nerve with a lot of people. That raw nerve is what most people will remember about the movie 20 years later.

Sometimes I think people say stuff just to get a whiff of their own asshole.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018
Very mediocre and Phoenix carried the entire thing. I feel like if I hadn't seen King of Comedy before it would have been a little better experience for me. Felt like it copied that movie way too much and forced Batman/Joker things into that movie like meeting a young Bruce.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Probably my favorite movie of 2019.

Phoenix obviously carries it. Just a brilliant performance.

And, yeah, there's a lot of King of Comedy / Taxi Driver in there, but I think it has enough of its own voice to stand besides them (again, thanks to Phoenix).

the absolute paranoia this movie generated from people thinking there'd be some incel uprising or shooting, etc. Some embarrassing hot takes from here especially.

Yeah, I agree.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Was weak. Phoenix acting was the only decent aspect, but the script gave him nothing to work with and had no idea what it wanted him or the movie to be

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Standard comic book movie drivel trying to disguise itself as high art. Phoenix's performance could only carry it so far.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
It was aiight. I think the writing was pretty poor at times but I'm surprised that Phillips was capable of the tension seen in the apartment murder and the talk show scenes. And Phoenix is so good at chewing scenery.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great performance in a movie that did very little for me. The entire Zazie Beetz plotline felt...bad.