• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

Trades are tripping all over themselves to come up with some portmanteau of 'Zendaya' and [insert word meaning victory here] given her new film's debut and Dune 2 returning to big screens. Folks are all in on Challengers in an otherwise significant refr---cooldown period until Planet of the Apes hits next month, so take the moment of excitement while you can. The top five can be expected to jumble about a bit as we're due for at least one more soft weekend of ticket sales unless The Fall Guy proves an outsized draw. I implore you all to get tickets to Mars Express next weekend if you can, it is far and away the best movie I saw last year. I'm going to make even more noise about this incredible animated noir action thriller this next weekend, brace yourselves.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfiCPrfdJJk

In other news, Deadline's domestic top ten Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament articles are rolling in, always a favorite in the box office community as they will more than ever before highlight the struggles to become profitable against an audience so far resisting the return to their 2019 spending habits. The top 3 are broadly known given how hard it was to ignore their success. Number 10 was a surprise to me. Number 9 less so. I'll probably update the threads with the other finishers as they come out.

m8EUphM.png

B95PxIt.png

FkxObk0.png

Opwuo1N.png

Zendaya-Palooza Weekend

The movie gets a B+ CinemaScore, which isn't shabby for this two-hour, 11-minute sexy romantic comedy. Imax and PLFs are driving 40% of the gross, which is amazing on a nonaction/franchise title such as this.

No surprise here, but 55% of PostTrak audiences said the main reason why they went to see the movie was Zendaya.

Deep diving into the demos, no doubt Challengers was a date movie, drawing 31% who came with either their spouse, partner, boyfriend or girlfriend. Funny enough, young guys love this movie more than girls, with men under 25 giving it a 83% score (16% turnout). This was followed by women under 25 giving it an 80% (27% turnout), followed by men over 25 at 76% (26%) and the pic's majority of women over 25 at 31% only grading it 72%. The movie has a divisive ending, and will leave audiences arguing over who to champion.

VARIETY SEZ:

The Zendaya starrer will easily launch above the competition to claim the top spot on domestic charts — not small potatoes for an original, R-rated drama in the age of studio IP addiction. But "Challengers" does carry a $55 million production budget, so it'll have to keep rallying into the summer months to score a profit in theaters.

Also opening this weekend, Roadside Attractions' is putting "Boy Kills World," an R-rated beat-em-up starring Bill Skarsgård, in 1,993 theaters. Moritz Mohr directs the film, which debuted at last fall's Toronto International Film Festival and has since earned so-so reviews. It's looking at an opening outside the top five, likely not cracking $2 million. A "B-" grade on Cinema Score doesn't exactly portend extended play.

(Click image for full chart)

Worldwide Updates:

Weekend Box Office Archive (Updated 2023-05-07) and Appendix

Last edited:

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
I hadn't heard of challengers before resetera, but looks interesting. Must be a slower week since that singing movie is also doing well.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, Boy Kills World with only a B- Cinemascore is rough. Most of the reviewers I follow said it was very entertaining, and I think I'm still going to check it out.

I love how I don't even have to ask about movies on the list that I don't recognize since that picture tells me it's usually a religious film.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Is Dune 2 a hit? Really want him to make the third film.
Over $700m and more to go, Dune 3 is a "when" not an "if". I was just happy to get 2, but the series doing this well is awesome. It's suddenly one of Warner's most prominent IP going forward, arguably their most unless Joker 2 carries the momentum from the first and Gunn can land the DCU. (Though a pitch-perfect Beetlejuice 2 could be huge.)

If WB's smart, they'll bet big on Denis and keep him happy, to make up for torpedoing their golden goose with Nolan.

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
How long does it usually take for Amazon studio movies to hit Prime?
The Beekeeper did the "you can only rent this movie for $20" thing for ages and took a couple months from that point to actually be available to rent for a reasonable price. They then put it on MGM+ only, and not "free with Prime."

It's been over 3 months and the movie was at #1 for "top purchases" on Prime up until Dune 2 came out, now it's still number 2.

Considering the amount of money Amazon generated from that it's hard to say they won't do more of that.

Although it's also possible that's just something related to Statham's production company's demands or something from pre-Amazon purchase MGM contracts.

(Above is for US only may differ elsewhere)

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Solid, but not great start for Challengers. Will be interesting to see how it holds, as it's the type of film some people complain about studios not making anymore. If the word of mouth is good..

Curious how big Fall Guy can open next week, that might get me back to the theaters if reviews are solid enough.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
$55m production budget, Zendaya got a big payout with $10m which means her next big role will be a big payout too so good for her. I'm sure the other stars and director got good payouts too. By contrast her rumored salary for Dune 2 was only $2m. Its ironic that Dune 2 was originally supposed to release BEFORE Challengers, but the strikes last year shuffled everything.

and yeah, like Saltburn this is one of those movies that amazon basically is counting on to drive a lot of amazon prime subs when it hits the service, I doubt they care really at all about how it does at the box office. Amazon makes more money than the budget in LITERALLY one minute of selling stuff lol

should do decent at awards time too, award shows will nominate Zendaya just to get her to show up at their award shows since she is such a huge pop news phenomena.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Godzilla x kong will pass Godzilla 2014 in box office in a few days.
I'll be the 2nd highest grossing monsterverse movie

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
God damn that religious grift is strong.

All you have to do is shit out a move with a five dollar budget, have it be about God, and watch the money roll in.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on Dune 2 hitting $700 million. Very solid improvement over the first film.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was a very busy bee at the theaters this week. I saw Civil War and Abigail (and Rebel Moon 2 at home sadly).

Next week is I Saw The TV Glow, that movie looks amazing can't wait

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Over $700m and more to go, Dune 3 is a "when" not an "if". I was just happy to get 2, but the series doing this well is awesome. It's suddenly one of Warner's most prominent IP going forward, arguably their most unless Joker 2 carries the momentum from the first and Gunn can land the DCU. (Though a pitch-perfect Beetlejuice 2 could be huge.)

If WB's smart, they'll bet big on Denis and keep him happy, to make up for torpedoing their golden goose with Nolan.
WBD only distribute Dune btw. It's Legendary that have the IP license. Not that WBD aren't making a bit of bank on it, just that they don't really have much control over the movies. Same goes for the Monsterverse (though it's a bit more complicated since they may own the King Kong rights according to Wingard, though honestly, the rights to Kong is a long and complicated drama-stuffed story).
Kind of why they're desperate for the DC stuff to take off, since that's something they do actually own wholesale and they don't have any IP that they can fall back on right now.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
#10 is the reason why whoever buys Paramount needs to seriously consider if they want to eject Nickelodeon. Between that, Ninja Turtles, SpongeBob, A:TLA, ect, they really ought to be careful getting rid of a network that owns multiple IPs that make money for the studio. At minimum, keep the studio and the IPs if you want to get rid of the cable channel itself.

How long does it usually take for Amazon studio movies to hit Prime?

The Beekeeper did the "you can only rent this movie for $20" thing for ages and took a couple months from that point to actually be available to rent for a reasonable price. They then put it on MGM+ only, and not "free with Prime."

It's been over 3 months and the movie was at #1 for "top purchases" on Prime up until Dune 2 came out, now it's still number 2.

Considering the amount of money Amazon generated from that it's hard to say they won't do more of that.

Although it's also possible that's just something related to Statham's production company's demands or something from pre-Amazon purchase MGM contracts.

(Above is for US only may differ elsewhere)

It'll be on Prime Video in the US next month. Amazon puts MGM films for the most part on MGM+ for three months to encourage subs there, and then three months after they add it to Prime Video. Trust me, I track these things regularly. It'll be next month.

The only exception was Creed III which Amazon put on Prime Video within three months. I imagine it was because it was a big studio IP.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
With all the product placement in the Challengers they won't lose that much money

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Ghostbusters Frozen Empire is still not at $200 million WW. Maybe it'll make it or come up short but regardless it's less profitable than Afterlife. Makes me wonder what they will do next for this IP.

Dune 2 did way better than I thought. Congrats, though I still need to see the 2021 one before this one.

Never heard of Challengers, guess I should see what that movie is like.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Ghostbusters Frozen Empire is still not at $200 million WW. Maybe it'll make it or come up short but regardless it's less profitable than Afterlife. Makes me wonder what they will do next for this IP.

If international has another weekend like this one, it'll make it. Frozen Empire has already surpassed Afterlife overseas.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Ministry is really sinking like a rock. Why do people keep casting Henry Cavill in stuff.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I watched The Gentlemen considering that is one of the pretty well regarded movies made by Guy Ritchie in recent years and thought it was borderline unwatchable trash. These movies don't even have a lot of action scenes and if they doy they are largely forgettable. It's just a lot of men endlessly talking about 17 disconnected storylines in what a 13 year old boy would come up with if he tried to emulate Tarantino. And then Operation Fortune and now this seems to be EXACTLY the same movie???

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't Guy Ritchie's like last 3 movies bombed?

Two didn't do well last year. The Convenant was actually good, but not what people expected from him, which would be more like The Gentleman. It's also pretty much straight to VOD. People only show up to his movies when he sticks to British gangsters, doesn't really matter about the quality.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Afterlife also came out in a rough time for theater going world wide, yet FE is struggling to even match that. And they spend more money on FE all around. This is a franchise that seems to just not want to go anywhere and is just about selling merch

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
If international has another weekend like this one, it'll make it. Frozen Empire has already surpassed Afterlife overseas.
I would hope so for international. But regardless this should had surpassed Afterlife's WW by now and even if it does it won't be by much as Sony would have wanted more.

Afterlife also came out in a rough time for theater going world wide, yet FE is struggling to even match that. And they spend more money on FE all around. This is a franchise that seems to just not want to go anywhere and is just about selling merch
Yep, so true, and it's a shame really. Like this franchise needs an over haul or something or else they'll struggle to surpass the OG Ghostbusters and nowadays even Ghosbusters 2016 in the box office(though at least they aren't bombing as hard as 2016).

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason Ministry doesn't have a distribution deal in Canada (and the UK I guess but I don't live there) and is just gonna drop on Prime at some point. I wonder why Guy Ritchie's movies get such strange release strategies, Operation Fortune also got plopped unceremoniously (though I guess that one had some extenuating circumstances)

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason Ministry doesn't have a distribution deal in Canada (and the UK I guess but I don't live there) and is just gonna drop on Prime at some point. I wonder why Guy Ritchie's movies get such strange release strategies, Operation Fortune also got plopped unceremoniously (though I guess that one had some extenuating circumstances)
His films must be making a killing on streaming. That's the only explanation I can think of for why he keeps pumping out these mid budget flops.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Got to watch Spy X Family Code: White over the weekend. Only 4 of us in the cinema with the big imax, but it was a great experience. I do feel it has some issues if you are a first time Spy X Family watcher though, it does an intro for the main family, but not much for any other cast members that make cameos, and it has flashbacks to moments in the show as well which you wouldn't have context for. Still a good watch. Glad to see it still holding on in the charts.

Also got to check out Kung Fu Panda 4 right after, not Imax, but a much busier cinema half full one month on from the UK Release (No competition until Garfield doing it wonders as the only Animated Film in town). Twas enjoyable, but it's easily the weakest of the four as people said, you can also feel the lower budget too, with the smaller cast and the setup of "Here's Po and Zen going to a location, now we have Mr. Ping and Li Shan following after Po in those same locations. Hopefully the next film gets a bit more of a budget, and do Kung Fu Panda Furious 5. You skipped them in this one, give them the focus in the next one, Tigress can probably have a cool story surrounding her.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Saw Boy Kills World on Friday. Really fun action movie. Fully recommend it due to the quality of the fights alone. When the battle starts inside the lab I went "Ooooohhhhh this is the movie. This is what is amazing." And they largely kept up that energy for another hour and a half