UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if TSS still bombed despite excellent reviews, if I were WB I'd be scared shitless for Batman right now...

Batman will do fine but they need to wait until the vaccination numbers are higher and the pandemic gets under better control and they need to stay away from the home video release being day and date. That just kills an "event movie" IMO.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
If WB wants another big weekend, they gotta bring back our boys
05-C45-C7-F-C3-B1-4-C76-9-F01-CB633413-F2-BB.jpg

64-E3-C91-D-FE4-F-48-A7-BC2-E-85346917861-D.jpg

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I am going to stick to venom having the biggest comic book movie launch of the year unless spiderman launches this year instead of next year . China loved the first one as well. Sony will likely release it in October or November and Spider-Man early next year.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jungle Cruise was excellent. Saw it last weekend, lots of good humor and heart.

Saw the Green Knight today. I really want to like that movie, there were individual segments that were great, but overall I'm leaning towards thinking it's boring drivel. Plot is important, so tired of art films that are just about feeling an experience. How about you write a cohesive story instead? That's actually much more difficult to do. Beautiful movie though.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
People are vastly underplaying the impact that Delta is having on the box office right now.
Yes, that too of course. Nobody is filling movie theatres right now.

Jungle Cruise was excellent. Saw it last weekend, lots of good humor and heart.

Saw the Green Knight today. I really want to like that movie, there were individual segments that were great, but overall I'm leaning towards thinking it's boring drivel. Plot is important, so tired of art films that are just about feeling an experience. How about you write a cohesive story instead? That's actually much more difficult to do. Beautiful movie though.
I found The Green Knight surprisingly cohesive as a story, considering it is based on a 14th century poem.

OP
OP
hodayathink

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
so

his last movie was A Ghost Story
I have no idea what you are talking about. Lowery made only one Disney movie in his entire career (though he has a second one coming out next year I see), so he definitely isn't "used to" producing flops for Disney lol. That makes it sound like he has been creating underperforming Disney films his entire career.

Also, Pete's Dragon wasn't his last movie before The Green Knight, he made two other movies in that period that were both critically acclaimed: A Ghost Story and The Old Man & the Gun.

First of all, it was a joke.

Second of all, I know his last movie was The Old Man and the Gun (I even saw that one in theaters).

Third of all, Ghost Story and the Old Man and the Gun made combined less than Pete's Dragon made in its first two days domestic. The man is a good director, but Green Knight is almost inarguably his first movie to really "catch" at the box office compared to expectations.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
The R rating didn't help the Suicide Squad in an environment where many people still aren't comfortable returning to theaters. You just immediately limit your audience that way.

I actually like what DC is doing with trying some unique takes on their characters (Joker, Birds of Prey, the Suicide Squad) but I think they haven't figured out to consistently turn that approach into positive box office results.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like what DC is doing with trying some unique takes on their characters (Joker, Birds of Prey, the Suicide Squad) but I think they haven't figured out to consistently turn that approach into positive box office results.
I think the future of the R rated DCEU stuff is MAX originals as either movies or series. If the box office receipts are going to look like this for everything outside of Joker WB would be better served experimenting on HBO MAX. The wild variances in the quality of DC movies is a factor in the box office results as well and a move to streaming for some of these projects could potentially help to mitigate people's hesitancy. People may be likely to give things like TSS and BoP a chance if they can watch it from their home on a streaming service rather than having to travel to the theaters and buy a ticket.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much of this is on:

1. The fact that the first Suicide Squad is one of the worst movies of the past decade
2. The simultaneous streaming release making it incredibly easy to watch the movie not in cinemas (or torrent it)

I feel like these two factors play a pretty big role in this disappointing result for The Suicide Squad.
You should probably add the impact of delta plus poor marketing into it.

This will obviously be anecdotal since it's a sample size of one, but the marketing didn't do anything for me and to be honest, I probably wouldn't have cared for this movie from that marketing if it didn't have James Gunn attached.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

Jungle Cruise only dropping 55%. And that is with streaming biting into it. Solid hold.

So are we going to blame 4K torrents on this one too or does that only apply when criticizing Black Widow?

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Family films also often have strong holds as they aren't planned for always, sometime just "hey let's see a movie."

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
It would be funny as hell and a damning indictment on America if Jackass Forever outdoes Dune at the box office by a large margin. 🤣
I really hope that happens now.

I'd much rather see Jackass then Dune. Everyone is going to watch Dune on HBO anyhow.

I'm very curious to see if movies start being pushed again. I can see Marvel pushing Eternals and Sony pushing Spidey. The box office just isn't there. I think its going to take another year at least for theaters to return.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I really hope that happens now.

I'd much rather see Jackass then Dune. Everyone is going to watch Dune on HBO anyhow.

I'm very curious to see if movies start being pushed again. I can see Marvel pushing Eternals and Sony pushing Spidey. The box office just isn't there. I think its going to take another year at least for theaters to return.
As soon as I saw Knoxville take a fast pitch softball to the balls, I was sold after watching the trailer.