• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
It's pretty nice the 2023 GOTY drops on Game Pass day one.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2
Do you guys think the Halo community would be mad if 343 released a Doomguy skin?

Or that the assault rifle from Halo is a playable weapon in the next Call of Duty?

I think Microsoft should start to unite their franchises a little more.
It could be fun.
That'd be cool. Also give me Gears skins as well. Afterall Gears 5 had Emile and Kat from Halo Reach in the game.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Do you guys think the Halo community would be mad if 343 released a Doomguy skin?

Or that the assault rifle from Halo is a playable weapon in the next Call of Duty?

It could be fun.
I don't think a cameo of the AR would upset anyone while the Doom skin would prob shoot up in popularity if it's done like Ryus skin in halo 3.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

It could be fun.
Since the MP is a thing on its own, I really think they should go all out with crossover stuff.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
The Steam Deck is such a neat little Game Pass machine.

I have the same couple of games downloaded to my Series S and the Steam Deck and it's really great being able to switch back and forth between the TV and the Deck and have the saves and progress all synced up.

I'd still prefer a native client for SteamOS that runs the games through Proton but until that happens, if it ever does (doubt it), this is still pretty cool. A bit annoying to set up and run but cool nonetheless.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
If you really want to piss people off, remind them that before Sea of Thieves, Kinect Sports was Rare's most successful title from both a sales and number of players perspective. People that say Rare is only a shell of themselves since being purchased by MS are just wrong.

It is like the people saying that Sega no longer really has anything but Atlus, when both Football Manager and the Total War series are actually bigger deals than anything Atlus does. They just aren't in the wheelhouse of many of this site's users.

Indeed.

Also I loved playing Kinect sports with the family :)

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I am kind of late to the party, but damn, Multiverse is legit. These collections of interesting IP characters work so well in a polished game. Xbox should create such experiences as well with all the iconic stuff they own. A polished Xbox Kart Racer is a guaranteed #1 Game Pass chart hit honestly. People just love these kind of mash ups, see Fortnite etc.

Jul 22, 2022
Kinect Sports was Rare's most successful title from both a sales and number of players perspective
Those games don't count because Kinect /s

Company is successful if and only if it produced a content I want and it sold a lot.

I am kind of late to the party, but damn, Multiverse is legit.
F2P will work wonders and they should find a way to port it on Switch. It is basically Smash but with IPs well known across the whole globe and not in games only.

Also I loved playing Kinect sports with the family :
I liked Dance Central

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
On the other hand, just because a studio doesn't make the genre or type of game it used or that a person likes doesn't mean it's a shell of itself. Has the creativity changed? Quality? Still fun to play (maybe objectively)? Meaningful engagement? And whatever else.

I think in Rare's case all the above are true, if not more so.

This also.

Jan 4, 2018
I am kind of late to the party, but damn, Multiverse is legit. These collections of interesting IP characters work so well in a polished game. Xbox should create such experiences as well with all the iconic stuff they own. A polished Xbox Kart Racer is a guaranteed #1 Game Pass chart hit honestly. People just love these kind of mash ups, see Fortnite etc.

I'm in the opinion that MS should build upon the massive success that was Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled and expand the IP with crossovers and festivals instead of creating a new IP (Forza Kart or something else).

Same way that Nintendo uses the already established Mario Kart IP instead of a more generic Nintendo Kart. And CTR perfectly fits the E-rated content hole in MS portfolio.

Personally, I would relaunch CTR the same way Blizzard is doing with Overwatch 2 :
- F2P
- launch on Steam too ideally
- strong and multi-year Live-Service
- engine upgrade
- extensive customization and cool ways to showcase your characters, kart, decals, etc.. to others
- all of the previous tracks
- new tracks and new crossovers (Overwatch, Fallout, Minecraft, Sonic, Banjo-Kazooie, Halo, DOOM and beyond..) like with the Spyro N. Friends Grand Prix that was themed around Spyro being introduced to the game

1582140307_61.jpg

GP3-ROADMAP.jpg

And use the F2P game to promote other premium Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games while you're at it (N. Sane Trilogy, Reignited Trilogy, Crash 4 and hopefully Crash 5 and Wumpa League. And why not the rumored Banjo-Kazooie game) like with Warzone / Call of Duty.

Call-of-Duty-Warzone_1420067992_554513_1440x810.jpg

apps.16292.13901714360732222.35cb16f5-d4f2-4b73-b405-72135b860a7b.ba672017-6af7-4d8f-ab55-9fd8a7d30147

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Empowering CTR does make sense. Though, if you get to Smash-levels of integration, it really does lose its identity. Kinda like if you turned KI into the Xbox fighting game. I'd personally be on the side of something new, but I agree CTR is something they should do more with and integrating some Xbox stuff into it is an absolute no brainer.

I know hero shooters are passe (oh wait.. I just remembered they're about to own Overwatch.. well.. maybe this is a bad idea). But I'd love to see an Xbox hero shooter. So many unique ways you could approach that. Hell, they could even jump in late on the Left4Dead formula haha. Fight off hordes of Xbox enemies. Or if want to get even deeper into nightmare land, Xbox MOBA o.o What's the Heroes of the Storm team ("team") doing?

Ok sorry, I'll stop.

GlobeGamer

Aug 26, 2021
Crossovers I want to see :
Joanna Dark in Warzone
Dovahkiin skin for Reinhardt (Overwatch)
Master chief skin for Agent 76
Master chief in Warzone

These are just a few examples

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Yeah, Rare has seen more success under Xbox leadership than Nintendo. Their biggest games have been under Xbox. Even though I haven't liked a game they've made in like 15 years. But not every single studio has to be catering to me. I still have The Coalition and 343i. And someone else might have Obsidian and inXile. Someone else loves Bethesda and Arkane.

That's what's really great about Xbox right now imo. There's stuff for almost every taste and I love that.

So true.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Finished up Gears 5. It was alright. First and only Gears game so yknow.

I saved Del fuck JD

I did too, wasn't even a hard decision... Until I saw Marcus and then was like oh fuck what have I done. Poor bastard has lost literally everyone 😭

Also, yeah, as others have said, there is a ton of Gears 2 in Gears 5, so without that context you are going to miss a lot.

Black hole gun? 👀

Won't you come...

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
I finally finished A Plague Tale: Innocence. Very cool and the game looks gorgeous. I liked the pieces of history that you get through collectibles such as the flowers.

Looking forward to Requiem in October now. In fact, I'm already loving the Mediterranean setting :D

Now it's time to finish As Dusk Falls (I have to start Book 2). I really enjoyed Book 1

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Those games don't count because Kinect /s

Company is successful if and only if it produced a content I want and it sold a lot.

F2P will work wonders and they should find a way to port it on Switch. It is basically Smash but with IPs well known across the whole globe and not in games only.

I liked Dance Central

My nieces loved that game.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Sea of Thieves has indeed been an amazing success. It would have a low 80 OpenCritic score, minimum, in its current state. They've transformed it into a high quality game.

I hope Rare releases Everwild in a solid and finished state. I don't want them to release a 50-OpenCritic game and then redeem the game.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
If you really want to piss people off, remind them that before Sea of Thieves, Kinect Sports was Rare's most successful title from both a sales and number of players perspective. People that say Rare is only a shell of themselves since being purchased by MS are just wrong.

I don't think that would "piss people off" to use your words, but I do think it's a very reductive way of looking at it. If all that matters to a first party is how many players something has or how much it sells, from some angles you might be able to make the argument that Kinect Sports series were Rare's most successful title.

From other angles you could look at how relevant the game was in the long run. Will we be seeing people wishing for Kinect Sports to return like we do with Banjo and other older IPs?

What about what Rare represented as a studio: Someone in tune with a specific audience and with a specific brand of British humor. Was Kinect Sports a success from that angle and thus one we'd like to see replicated from other unique studios? Would we consider it a success if Arkane or Obsidian ended up doing something like Kinect Sports installments for years, as long as they have more players than Prey or New Vegas?

Looking at sales or number of players is one way to determine success, but there are other ways to judge a product as well.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I don't think that would "piss people off" to use your words, but I do think it's a very reductive way of looking at it. If all that matters to a first party is how many players something has or how much it sells, from some angles you might be able to make the argument that Kinect Sports series were Rare's most successful title.

From other angles you could look at how relevant the game was in the long run. Will we be seeing people wishing for Kinect Sports to return like we do with Banjo and other older IPs?

What about what Rare represented as a studio: Someone in tune with a specific audience and with a specific brand of British humor. Was Kinect Sports a success from that angle and thus one we'd like to see replicated from other unique studios? Would we consider it a success if Arkane or Obsidian ended up doing something like Kinect Sports installments for years, as long as they have more players than Prey or New Vegas?

Looking at sales or number of players is one way to determine success, but there are other ways to judge a product as well.
Never clean. On the other hand.. without Kinect Sports Rivals, maybe Rare dies along with Lionhead and Sea of Thieves never even comes out. Can't play sales numbers. But you can't sell without play numbers. It does matter how many people play your games.

More to the point, Naughty Dog is making VERY DIFFERENT games than when they were first acquired. But no one goes around saying that they fell off because they stopped making Crash and Jak games - even though people clearly still love those games. I think you've just proved the original point: people are biased and they assume that their preferences speak for everyone else. Player numbers don't matter if it's not my type of game, because those people don't count, because those people don't understand what this studio represents. It's trivially easy to look back in time and decide on metrics in hindsight that confirm our biases. We should be careful not to. That said, anyone is of course justified in saying that they personally wish for something different.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I got an update for the XVDD SCSI Miniport today. That's the virtual disk drive system UWP-based Xbox games use on Windows, because Xbox couldn't even launch an executable without having some convoluted bullshit to act as another point of failure. Except this point of failure slows down your PC forever if it breaks because the virtual drives will hog up resources in the background, at all times, until you wipe your OS.

What fresh hell is going to await my poor machine...?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
and wash away the rain?

Sea of Thieves has indeed been an amazing success. It would have a low 80 OpenCritic score, minimum, in its current state. They've transformed it into a high quality game.

I hope Rare releases Everwild in a solid and finished state. I don't want them to release a 50-OpenCritic game and then redeem the game.

I hope so too. I'm hoping the game is substantial for single players as well.

Not to sound snippy but the main way to judge a product is if it's fun to play and you can do that while going outside of your genre.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Never clean. On the other hand.. without Kinect Sports Rivals, maybe Rare dies along with Lionhead and Sea of Thieves never even comes out. Can't play sales numbers. But you can't sell without play numbers. It does matter how many people play your games.

I never said differently. What I said was that there were several ways to judge a product, one of which is number of players.

More to the point, Naughty Dog is making VERY DIFFERENT games than when they were first acquired. But no one goes around saying that they fell off because they stopped making Crash and Jak games - even though people clearly still love those games. I think you've just proved the original point: people are biased and they assume that their preferences speak for everyone else.

I proved no such thing. Again, I said there were several ways to judge a product. Naughty Dog could be an easy example of that. Suppose someone made a mobile shovelware game that was able to reach 10 million more players than TLoU2. If you only look at it from a number of players angle, then by that criteria the mobile game is the more successful product, but it would be reductive to only look at it from that angle.

TLoU2 will have people begging for sequels, remakes and have discussions about it again and again over the years. The theoretical mobile game was just there at that time. It didn't represent much aside from reaching a certain number of players and another shovelware title might as well have taken it's place instead. No one is committed to it as franchise, no is asking for sequels or remakes and you wouldn't be seeing people discussing the finer points of the shovelware title, like you will for decades with TLoU2.

Number of players is just one way to judge the success of a title.

Player numbers don't matter if it's not my type of game, because those people don't count, because those people don't understand what this studio represents. It's trivially easy to look back in time and decide on metrics in hindsight that confirm our biases.

This is not the point I'm making. I haven't said anything like that. I was talking about how there's several ways to judge a product.

I would consider it an abject failure from many angles, if Naughty Dog ended up doing games like the theoretical mobile shovelware mentioned above, even if it had more players than their other titles. It would be a loss to the industry.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
I think the most impressive thing for me about Gears 4 and 5 is that The Coalition did stay steady and true to the way Gears' stories are told in rhythm and themes - and it was cohesive.

I agree with the themes, though 5's pacing is very unlike gears given the OW sections. Hopefully, that's iterated on so that even those sections have the high octane feeling of a traditional gears.

It could be fun.

I mean, have you seen the Halo community? They prob would given Infinite isnt in a great state. Fast forward a year when its on a 3 month season cycle and im sure they would be fine with it

343 should go all out on skins and crossovers. That's how you generate interest.

I agree

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Not to sound snippy but the main way to judge a product is if it's fun to play and you can do that while going outside of your genre.

This doesn't really relate to what I'm talking about and I've made no points saying you couldn't go outside your genre when judging a product.

To comment on it briefly, I don't really agree with it either. Fun is just one of several ways of judging a product.

Oct 12, 2020
How many Xbox franchises create these deep link ?

View: https://twitter.com/happyf333tz/status/1558632236529754112

It's wild how many YT content creators that Sea of thieves have. Mini blizzard 🔥

That kid is really going to love how good SoT looks and plays on Series X. Sneakily one of the best looking games out there right now…mostly based on it's unique look with it's stylized art style of the characters and landscapes mixed with the ultra realistic water visuals and physics. Nothing else like it.

Also, kudos to the lad for getting to Pirate Legend….no small feat there.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I think when people are saying a studio is a former shell of itself, its their opinion relating to games they care about. I don't think just throwing sales numbers or player counts changes any of that.

Like I say: you can't play sales numbers
I think the term "shell of its former self" is reductive in that setting. They should just say, "They don't make games/genres I like anymore." Shell of its former self makes it sound like they are barely afloat or devoid of qualities. Whatever, super disappointed with how bad Era is at recognizing games that are successful because they don't like the genre.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I never said differently. What I said was that there were several ways to judge a product, one of which is number of players.

I proved no such thing. Again, I said there were several ways to judge a product. Naughty Dog could be an easy example of that. Suppose someone made a mobile shovelware game that was able to reach 10 million more players than TLoU2. If you only look at it from a number of players angle, then by that criteria the mobile game is the more successful product, but it would be reductive to only look at it from that angle.

TLoU2 will have people begging for sequels, remakes and have discussions about it again and again over the years. The theoretical mobile game was just there at that time. It didn't represent much aside from reaching a certain number of players and another shovelware title might as well have taken it's place instead. No one is committed to it as franchise, no is asking for sequels or remakes and you wouldn't be seeing people discussing the finer points of the shovelware title, like you will for decades with TLoU2.

Number of players is just one way to judge the success of a title.

This is not the point I'm making. I haven't said anything like that. I was talking about how there's several ways to judge a product.

I would consider it an abject failure from many angles, if Naughty Dog ended up doing games like the theoretical mobile shovelware mentioned above, even if it had more players than their other titles. It would be a loss to the industry.
My response wasn't an attack on you (and I do realize that a couple of lines there do sound like it was, apologies). I do not disagree with you that there are infinite ways to judge a game or studio and its success. Indeed, that IS the core of my argument. Treat my post as primarily support for these statements:

It is like the people saying that Sega no longer really has anything but Atlus, when both Football Manager and the Total War series are actually bigger deals than anything Atlus does. They just aren't in the wheelhouse of many of this site's users.
On the other hand, just because a studio doesn't make the genre or type of game it used or that a person likes doesn't mean it's a shell of itself. Has the creativity changed? Quality? Still fun to play (maybe objectively)? Meaningful engagement? And whatever else.

I think in Rare's case all the above are true, if not more so.

I was using your response as jumping off point to discuss how these sorts of narratives start and propagate: we choose the rules or metrics by which we judge the past, but our choices are based on how think in the present. To then take those "results" and try to make a point about the present (such as when people, not you, say that Rare is "a shell of itself") seems like a foolhardy exercise, no?

For example, why is longevity of a franchise the key metric? Nobody was calling for more of God of War, then it became (regained its place as) perhaps the biggest Sony-owned IP overnight. Nobody is asking for a Shadow of the Colossus sequel. Does that not count? Well but then there was ICO and recently there was a great remake.. but it's not really the same and.. The Last Guardian.. Angry Birds and Candy Crush got more sequels than Uncharted - and they're ALL played by more people. You know what I mean? We can get deep into the weeds - there are a million caveats and whatever to twist and shape to our purposes. But ultimately, it's almost all confirmation bias one way or the other.

None are inherently more accurate nor more valid. So, don't we agree that the entire discussion is kind of meaningless and misguided? If hundreds of millions of people love mobile game Naughty Dog, who are we to decide that it's a loss to the industry? You and I would hate it and we can say that and hopefully we are heard. We on this forum can say we hate it, and that would be generally ok in this space. But surely, those people enjoying those games are people with valid opinions, too?

OTOH, if the shovelware is crap and everyone hates it and nobody plays it - then, yes, it's pretty straightforward to declare it a misstep. (Again, IMO player numbers DO matter, they're not everything or even the most important or best thing but they're relevant). But it's just very hard for me to square the idea that something is fervently beloved by people - and, in this case, more people than ever before - is bad or worse simply because they're different people.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
This doesn't really relate to what I'm talking about and I've made no points saying you couldn't go outside your genre when judging a product.

To comment on it briefly, I don't really agree with it either. Fun is just one of several ways of judging a product.
Well you mentioned Obsidian, no reason why we can't enjoy a game like Grounded if it's a fun game to play even if it's outside of their regular style of games. That's what I was getting at, but of course a company like Rare won't have the same DNA if those people are not there who started up the company. I still see that Rare vibe that continues to live on.

You can either move on and accept the new Rare or don't, that's entirely up to you, but at the end of the day it's about enjoying the games.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
The activision thing in Brazil seems much more impactful than we realize.

On Linkedin there are a lot of people in the industry who talk about it, the 2 manufacturers are so hypocritical towards them, that this situation makes them release everything they have on their hearts 😂😂

Console war is really back 💀

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Rare is cool these days. I don't need them to revisit old IP, just keep making weird new stuff. "Shell of its former self" was accurate when they were making Kinect Sports and when Sea of Thieves launched, but that game's turned around now. If they can stick the landing on Everwild then they'll be back on top in my eyes.

That said it'd be awesome to see them try their hand at some smaller releases in between the AAA. Pentiment is exactly the kind of project I wanna see XGS embrace (in addition to the big stuff), and Rare is the perfect candidate for that
It's pretty nice the 2023 GOTY drops on Game Pass day one.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2
That's not how you spell Wo Long

Last edited:

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
This made my morning, good stuff. ❤️

Unfortunately, it wasn't the same for me and friends on 360 at 10yo 💀 when you had a kid's voice, you had to defend yourself on the MW2, Halo 3, Gears & GTA 4 MP lobby 💀

My big sisters/bro wondering where I learned all these words in English, while at school we just learned "hello", "how are you" etc... 💀

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately, it wasn't the same for me and friends on 360 at 10yo 💀 when you had a kid's voice, you had to defend yourself on the MW2, Halo 3, Gears & GTA 4 MP lobby 💀

My big sisters/bro wondering where I learned all these words in English, while at school we just learned "hello", "how are you" etc... 💀
Ah yes, the glory days. MW2 Xbox 360 lobbies..where we all discovered just how many people had fucked our mom.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
That kid is really going to love how good SoT looks and plays on Series X. Sneakily one of the best looking games out there right now…mostly based on it's unique look with it's stylized art style of the characters and landscapes mixed with the ultra realistic water visuals and physics. Nothing else like it.

Also, kudos to the lad for getting to Pirate Legend….no small feat there.

Yeah it's a looker and so much fun!, a great xbox success :)

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Sometimes, I just open my installed games list, scroll through the list with four generations of Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Series X/S games in there, which thanks to BC represent most even if not quite all of my experiences with all those great titles and franchises over the decades played on Xbox. Then I just engage with my memories of playing said games when scrolling through this list. It's hard to describe why it feels so good to have these experiences all in one place on one device, but it's something that always creates quite a bond with the Xbox ecosystem, at least for me.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Sometimes, I just open my installed games list, scroll through the list with four generations of Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Series X/S games in there, which thanks to BC represent most even if not quite all of my experiences with all those great titles and franchises over the decades played on Xbox. Then I just engage with my memories of playing said games when scrolling through this list. It's hard to describe why it feels so good to have these experiences all in one place on one device, but it's something that always creates quite a bond with the Xbox ecosystem, at least for me.
Lol I have the opposite experience, decision paralysis is the enemy. Never gonna have enough time to get to all the games I wanna play 🙃🙃🙃

It IS quite cool to see all the work they've put into BC though. I always appreciated it but it hits different when you start to work your way through some of these old games.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Well you mentioned Obsidian, no reason why we can't enjoy a game like Grounded if it's a fun game to play even if it's outside of their regular style of games. That's what I was getting at, but of course a company like Rare won't have the same DNA if those people are not there who started up the company. I still see that Rare vibe that continues to live on.

You can either move on and accept the new Rare or don't, that's entirely up to you, but at the end of the day it's about enjoying the games.

yeah Grounded was a great fun surprise for me :)

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

On Linkedin there are a lot of people in the industry who talk about it, the 2 manufacturers are so hypocritical towards them, that this situation makes them release everything they have on their hearts 😂😂

Hmm.. I don't quite follow this. Could you provide an example? Like people are salty that Xbox and Sony are being petty in the filing? Or what lol

By the end of the year we'll have a good amount of new info.

These days I rechecked all the different processes in each country, especially regarding the level of publicity, and we can expect even a little bit more of third party feedback :p
lol exciting. looking forward to more legal stuff I trust you to read, so I don't have to (cuz I can't) :D

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022

By the end of the year we'll have a good amount of new info.

These days I rechecked all the different processes in each country, especially regarding the level of publicity, and we can expect even a little bit more of third party feedback :p

Status
Not open for further replies.