Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

View: https://x.com/tomwarren/status/1720131469568295074?s=20

F98iYPZWcAEwiv0

A lot of reports popping up about this. Feels like a bit of an overstep to slap ads right when turning on the console. Especially when they're already on the Xbox Home Screen as well. Was told they did this for Starfield too, but I can't find anything about that myself (Only recall the screen saying the new Xbox Experience Home Menu was coming and that Starfield was a title listed there).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Like...the first thing after booting the system itself?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They did do one of these for Starfield, yes. Even if you already had the game preinstalled, I believe.

I'm not a big fan of full-screen ads in ANYTHING, whether it's websites or game console UIs, though. Keep that shit out of my face.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They def did this with starfield, i remember getting that ad. Thats extremely obnoxious because the homepage is already filled with ads as is. This is why people hate ads, way too intrusive.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ya i got it lol, not the end of the world but also a bit agressive. Starfield did the same, only the one time.

TimotheusNL

Jun 9, 2023
Lol, no thanks. That's overstepping it big time.

Next up is Gamepass to start having ads before you boot up your games. Microsoft always had a terrible way to advertise on products you were already paying for.

Oct 25, 2017
Really not a fan of this stuff, it's like opening your phone and there being a full screen add for a new Apple or Google product.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing stopping me from buying CoD was that it wasn't plastered in my face.

Nov 8, 2017
I actually love ads. Please give me more ads. Give them 5 minute countdowns before I can dismiss them. Maybe it could auto play a video at max volume

Unfolded

Jun 27, 2023
I had one for starfield, and I think when i botted forza horizon it showed a similar thing about forza motorsport.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Did this with Starfield as well, though I haven't seen this yet.

Doing a bit too much for a start-up, would make a lot more sense in the store but marketing/ui folks seem to be on the fritz with unnecessary changes lately.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's not something that gets to me so much, but it's overstepping. They already have 3 tiles on the dash they can take over with ads.

Jun 5, 2023
Their advertising got 11 million people on Starfield the first weeks. Let's see if this tactic boosts numbers for CoD on Xbox. I'm not a fan of it either but if they see success it's not going anywhere. I wonder what casuals think. If they think anything at all.

Aeroucn

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was an option to turn off this kind of shit, I remember getting the Starfield ad with the deluxe edition preinstalled 💀

Gunship

Oct 28, 2017
Right now I'm deciding whether to keep my XSX or to just go PS5 for everything. Shit like this makes the decision to drop the Xbox that much easier. Just completely over having ads shoved in my face when I've already dropped money on the hardware and monthly sub. It feels completely ungrateful and greedy to do this.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
No full screen ad for me, but 3 of the tiles on my main screen are ads. MW3, Xbox Series S for some reason, and Assassin's Creed. I'm glad I mostly play on PC nowadays.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Xbox dashboards have been rotten with ads since the 360 days, this shit was always the logical next step. It's garish and tacky but hey, if they sell one additional copy because of it, it was worth it in their minds.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Thanks, I hate it. Probably just a matter of time until they just show an ad on every system boot like PS5 does.
I've heard it's different depending on the region but I always get more ads on my Xbox. Like I've gotten car ads and fast food promos in the past :/

PS5 has the explore tab but I've only ever seen info for games I'm following/have purchased.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, in terms of things to care about in the world, this is so very very close to the bottom lol

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
All this does is make me associate the thing you're promoting with a feeling of annoyance, and consequently make me want to buy it less than I would otherwise

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Phil is just jealous Sony has the better advertising tech

Fy-VXW7X0AAhvgR.png