• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Our office has been closed the past few weeks but me and another person are still going in everyday. He's been coming in 30-40 minutes late everyday and since we have to clock in hes obviously been doing it while not at work. Today he came in an hour and a half late and when I asked him about it he lied to me. I was so mad that I reported it to HR. I've felt sick since I've done it after I realized it's a terrible time to lose your job. Did I do the wrong thing?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
How could he have clocked in if he wasn't there?

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
If him being late has a direct effect on your work and achieving the goals set for you, I can understand.

If not, then why bother? Live and let live.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
depends what you do. if his work doesn't affect you then you are a huge asshole and should feel bad.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Don't call that fraud. You give it more gravity than it deserves, probably in order to lessen your guilt.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
30 minutes late isn't the end of the world, reporting him for that is a bit much.

Reporting him for coming in an hour-and-a-half late... I mean, I get it, but I would have waited until he came in an hour-and-a-half late at least 3 times before saying something.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
We kinda need more info. Does it make things harder on you? From what I gather, you said it cause he lied to you and it made you mad, so that's a little shitty.

You should've just warned him or asked what was going on. Don't just jump to reporting someone.

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's messed up what you did if what he was doing wasn't hurting anyone or your own work.

Do you know if he was getting done all the work he needed to? For all you know he's been more productive with his time even if he's clocking in late.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Christ. Are you sure he was lying and you have no clue what his life is like at home. Dude.

This is fucked up all around. You should feel bad.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
You called out a guy for trying to get paid during a financial crisis where 1/4 of the work force is going to end up unemployed.

Read the room dude.

Unless he's doing no work at all it shouldn't be an issue, especially if he's potentially making up the difference in work from home or covering for half a dozen of your other coworkers lounging on their couches.

Epiphyte

Nov 4, 2017
User banned (1 day): Hostility
Yeah dude, being a narc over tardies is a pretty shit move

Bet that boot tastes mighty good

Oct 25, 2017
People come into work late for all sorts of reasons. Why the fuck would you report someone without knowing their situation

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get why you couldn't mind your god damn business. It may be time theft on his part but how does that concern you, even to the point where it upsets you? Do you two work on the same project or something? Does it affect your work in some way? I'm asking earnestly.

Oct 28, 2017
Also, what is the deal with people not being able to TALK to other people and air their grievances and sort it out amicably? For all you know he's been volunteering at the local homeless shelter, or going to AA or some shit.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Wow, OP. What a fucking narc. Yeah, you should feel horrible. Hopefully this person doesn't lose his job because of your BS

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think about who this hurts the most in the grand scale of things, in case you wanna trick yourself later into thinking you did the right thing or think are a good person.

Disgusting.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
You gonna answer the "does his lateness make your job harder" question? It's been asked multiple times

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck OP.

Even more good luck person OP told on to HR. If you see a colleague doing something injurious to another colleague where safety or immediate danger or business catastrophe are related problems then absolutely contact HR, or the police, or whoever makes sense in that scenario. But otherwise it might be a good idea to talk to the person, sleep on it, or get advice from someone you trust and respect.

And don't do anything permanent in anger, period.

The OP may well be justified, but these are insane times - and this seems like something you should think long and carefully about.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Dcch.gif

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... OP flat out said he reported the coworker because he was pissed that he thought the coworker lied to him (when he doesn't really know the full situation).

I mean, if him being late was actively affecting your job or you are his direct supervisor, report away. If not, you essentially reported him because you were angry, not because he did "fraud" or some shit

Status
Not open for further replies.