• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): Creating a platform warring/troll thread
Over the years it's become apparent the legacy of 2013 title The Last of Us has been corrosive, dare I say flat out poisonous to the growth of the game industry, with it's faux grasp on maturity and focus on presentation over gameplay. How many times have you played a game where, instead of breaking off into a cutscene you could skip, the game instead wasted your time with a needless, meandering walking section that didn't provide the strengths of a carefully considered cutscene nor the freedom the exploration/tense combat sections provide. These sections were obvious filler in the first part, but the amount of games that feature them has ballooned alongside these sections's length. This, ironically, culminates in TLOU2, who's free form exploration and combat is absolutely smothered by the overabundance of these sections. You can't play a AAA Sony game without them these days.

The homoginization of Sony's output on the whole is worth discussing. Serious, grounded stories influenced heavily by cinema have become their default mode. The vast majority of their exclusive this gen have chosen the same over-the-shoulder camera angle despite how ill fitting it is for titles like God of War and Horizon. Fatherhood is a central theme in 3 different releases this gen, with the broader themes of vengeance and the post apocalypse becoming even more permanent fixtures. With smaller studios closing and Sony's remaning studios leaning more and more toward homogenization, it's hard to get excited about their output going forward.

There's a better thread that goes into this that I'll link here, but there is also a specific trend of anti-blackness that is prominent in their games that reached a crescendo in TLOU1. How such a studio that is blatantly thoughtless in it's portrayal of POC could be considered a leader of progress in the industry is beyond me.

What can we do about such a toxic series being an influence on Playstation Studios and gaming as a whole?

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
pretty sure it's the hack that lead to millions of people losing their credit car data and not some generic third person shooter

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
tenor.gif

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Over the years it's become apparent the legacy of 2013 title Knack has been corrosive, dare I say flat out poisonous to the growth of the game industry, with it's faux grasp on maturity and focus on presentation over gameplay.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Sony get hacked by North Korea? I think thats worse than a massively popular game series OP.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Over the years it's become apparent the legacy of 2013 title Super Mario 3D World has been corrosive, dare I say flat out poisonous to the growth of the game industry, with it's faux grasp on maturity and focus on presentation over gameplay.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
i mean the worst thing to happen to sony was probably the launch of the ps3

but sure a game that made them millions and the successor to their previous very successful series uncharted is definitely the worst thing

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But TLOUII has some of the best TPS gameplay ever made

The "Naughty Dog games have bad gameplay" meme needs to end. It's boring and not that funny anymore.

Now despite this ridiculous OP... I would say that Assassin's Creed actually has hurt game design industry-wide.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely changed (validated?) the way Sony thinks about its games and business.

Rather or not that's good or bad, is opinion.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Man, if this is the worst problem Sony has, Sony is sitting pretty damn high without much to worry about.

Oct 25, 2017
As a company? No way. Huge bucks

as a fan of theirs? Yeah, these games along with most of their first party aren't my thing. Used to love their output a lot on ps1/ps2

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't lock this thread mods. Please don't lock it. This is gold right here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Over the years it's become apparent the legacy of 2017 forum Resetera has been corrosive, dare I say flat out poisonous to the growth of the game industry, with it's faux grasp on maturity and focus on shit takes over truly mature discussions.

EDIT: Ok ok, in a second reading I can see you raise a couple of valid points but jesus, talk about overreaction, why is it so hard to be nuanced?

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Making a successful series turned into a show that could be remastered and sold again at $70 and still do insane numbers.

Yeah it's a pretty bad thing most companies wouldn't want.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
jfc

This might be the worst thread I've seen in this forum, assuming this guy isn't joking.

Absolute trash.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I'm not even going to say that the games that they're making are bad, or that The Last of Us is bad, but I do feel like the things that they're doing have become predictable and slightly stale at this point. I don't think it's completely on the Last of Us though, and more so on trying to refine the Ubisoft open world format.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
This thread isn't going to go well. I agree with you, but monetarily it did really well so there's an audience for it. I think the issue is less The Last of Us itself and games like it, and more the fact that Sony wants that to be the only type of game they produce in the future. Homogenity in the industry isn't a good thing

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Over the years it's become apparent the legacy of 2013 titles Pokemon X & Y has been corrosive, dare I say flat out poisonous to the growth of the game industry, with it's faux grasp on maturity and focus on presentation over gameplay

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
The Ellie avatars are in the process of lining up, OP. You are screwed.

Kidding, kidding. This is a wild take.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Although you raise some valid concerns, going as far as to call The Last of Us corrosive, poisonous, and toxic is such a leap to make. You primarily dislike cinematic walk-and-talk segments, that's totally fair. I think a lot of people are tired of those. Doesn't mean TLoU 1 and 2 aren't great in other ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.