Hawthorn

Jul 16, 2020
My concern about a mass claim of the messages was that we might want to use them to hide info from mafia in future nights, kind of like the way neighbor chats are used. Town players might want to claim in messages to trusted town-read players, or use them to send info anonymously they don't want to say publicly.

But I'm ok trying to pin down the messages today, as long as we agree we won't necessarily do it every day?

I sent a message to Natiko. I think a lot of people may say the same because 1) I picked him because I town read him which others may have also done and 2) mafia might also claim this.

Of the suspicious messages that have been claimed, I think mafia might have sent Stan's message, agree that EC's is somebody doing a gambit, whether town or mafia.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
A helluva lot of posts to not really say anything.
im practicing for when i go an entire day phase with the highest post count and leave everyone knowing less than they came in with.
Hoping it will make the mafia game collapse in on itself becoming an information black hole through which time runs backwards up is down and blarg makes sense.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
My concern about a mass claim of the messages was that we might want to use them to hide info from mafia in future nights, kind of like the way neighbor chats are used. Town players might want to claim in messages to trusted town-read players, or use them to send info anonymously they don't want to say publicly.

But I'm ok trying to pin down the messages today, as long as we agree we won't necessarily do it every day?

I sent a message to Natiko. I think a lot of people may say the same because 1) I picked him because I town read him which others may have also done and 2) mafia might also claim this.

Of the suspicious messages that have been claimed, I think mafia might have sent Stan's message, agree that EC's is somebody doing a gambit, whether town or mafia.
yeah i dont think we need to comit to it each day, like now that everyone knows the deal i doubt any shady gambits will come from them anyway.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I dont think focusing on the messages is worthwhile, as Hawthorn said I can just say i sent a message to nat and there is no way to prove or disprove it.

Of course if you claim you sent the message to the person that died every night you're going to look a bit suspicious.

I'll say who I messaged if everyone wants to do that, but I'm not going to do it because stan and chuggs decided we should. not gonna disclose the contents of the message though.

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
real easy way for scum to look busy
1RVkVlk.gif

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm not sure I see the worth of only day 1 then never again. Surely if this was to catch people out you'd want to use data across multiple days. Why is X always messaging the night kill. Why is Y and Z only messaging each other every night.

To talk about it today only seems completely like busy work.

Ephidel

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I got that one, it made me feel incredibly bad about how low effort my own was because I hedged my bets in whether I'd want to admit to mine or not considering I thought it was only me.

I will answer it properly later because it deserves it.

Ephidel

Oct 25, 2017
In the meanwhile I am stuck in the shift from hell not getting proper breaks because we're short staffed.
I finish in 3 and a bit hours.
I'll see you all after that.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
If its not every day which Hawthorn doesn't want and you've said not each day, I dont see it being valuable, just arbitrary information missing key pieces of data.
i said we dont have to commit beforehand, like im saying we do it today because we have evidence of specific shadiness in todays messages, im leaning towards playing it by ear each day.
Plus i dont really follow how message patterns will give anything useful away if scum are making the messages knowing they will be scrutinised each day.
You said yourself if scum lie, its another lie they have to remember and stick to. The best way of keeping thar pressure up is by forcing them to lie every day, if we're not doing that I don't see how its all that valuable.
true, tho again i think telling scum beforehand that every message will be scrutinised will just have them going with safe options each time, id rather leave them enough rope to hang themselves with y'know?

Pretty sure I got that one, it made me feel incredibly bad about how low effort my own was because I hedged my bets in whether I'd want to admit to mine or not considering I thought it was only me.

I will answer it properly later because it deserves it.
choose...

wisely

Oct 26, 2017
UK
i said we dont have to commit beforehand, like im saying we do it today because we have evidence of specific shadiness in todays messages, im leaning towards playing it by ear each day.
Plus i dont really follow how message patterns will give anything useful away if scum are making the messages knowing they will be scrutinised each day.

true, tho again i think telling scum beforehand that every message will be scrutinised will just have them going with safe options each time, id rather leave them enough rope to hang themselves with y'know?

choose...

wisely

I just don't agree what info we glean then. No one is going to admit to send a shady message.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
This is why I dont think focusing on the messages is a good idea, its all that's been mentioned today. No one has mentioned mine, Hawthorn's and Ephi's last minute vote switches to Geno. Or Nat calling out chuggs as being scummy.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Also for the record, I think its more likely EC is scum and made that message up than someone in town trying to gambit.

And if it was a town gambit, that was terrible. Feel bad.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
that would be an odd scum gambit? why do you think that might have been Scum EC's play?

Because it sows confusion and why would EC make that up guess he isn't scum. I don't believe any town thought Nat was scum and wanted to fake a red check there. I dont believe scum kill nat and send that message. Therefore to me the most likely outcome is the message was never real.

Although as I'm typing this it dawns on me scum could have sent it, hoping EC would share it and draw suspicions on himself when there is no way to prove anyone actually sent him that message.

So basically its all wifom lol

But I don't believe it was a town gambit. Nat came out of day looking better than most tbh.

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
ATP would rather vote out EC (who claims to have received a message about Natiko) than Chuggs and/or Hawthorn (who both place themselves at the crime scene at the time of Natiko's demise), sus means suspicious

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Because it sows confusion and why would EC make that up guess he isn't scum. I don't believe any town thought Nat was scum and wanted to fake a red check there. I dont believe scum kill nat and send that message. Therefore to me the most likely outcome is the message was never real.

Although as I'm typing this it dawns on me scum could have sent it, hoping EC would share it and draw suspicions on himself when there is no way to prove anyone actually sent him that message.

So basically its all wifom lol

But I don't believe it was a town gambit. Nat came out of day looking better than most tbh.
i guess that has some sense to it but it feels like too much of an... out there? plan?

just seems like such a strange plan to even come up with let alone execute on.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
i guess that has some sense to it but it feels like too much of an... out there? plan?

just seems like such a strange plan to even come up with let alone execute on.

You're right and as I was writing the message I kind of thought the same. I just struggle to see any town doing the gambit on Nat, on others who had a rockier day 1, sure. I also don't see the logic in scum sending the message and also killing him.

Maybe dumb town is the answer that makes most sense, I don't know.

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
Another Day, another Day where you're all terrible at this

If you consider that EC claims to have received a message that singles out Natiko as one of the enemy, at a base level disregarding his actual Alignment that implies that somebody wanted Natiko dead, yes?

And with Natiko not flipping as Mafia, what does that tell you?

That someone's hunting

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
And the newfound messaging system provides the perfect opportunity towards setting their targets up

"no, EC scum gambiting lol"

Hawthorn

Jul 16, 2020
I'm not necessarily against ever doing a mass claim of messages again, I just want to leave the door open for the possibility that we might want to use them as something other than a tracking device in future days. We might want to use them to communicate with each other where mafia can't see it. That utility will be ruined if we set the expectation that we always claim who sent/received each message.

This is why I dont think focusing on the messages is a good idea, its all that's been mentioned today. No one has mentioned mine, Hawthorn's and Ephi's last minute vote switches to Geno. Or Nat calling out chuggs as being scummy.

Jman mentioned the vote switches and I responded to him, explaining that I wanted to avoid a tie. You're welcome to explain your vote switch if you would like.

The problem with not wanting to claim messages because it takes up discussion time is that more time has been taken up with arguing about whether we should claim the messages than would be taken by actually claiming messages.

If you consider that EC claims to have received a message that singles out Natiko as one of the enemy, at a base level disregarding his actual Alignment that implies that somebody wanted Natiko dead, yes?

That someone's hunting

You think it was a neutral that sent it?

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

That someone's hunting
Unless someone claims the message.