• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mandatory Disclosure of Cosmetic Surgery Prior to Marriage/Kids?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrillz

Banned
Jan 4, 2021
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory thread creation, trolling, account in junior phase
Some cosmetic surgeries have become so convincing that it is getting increasingly difficult to distinguish what is natural vs. what has been artificially constructed. It has gotten to the point where I've been wondering if disclosure requirements should become federal law.

If you are attracted to a certain physical trait(s) of the opposite sex (eye color, ass shape, etc.) and especially if it happens be one of the main reasons for your decision to proceed in a relationship, isn't there a reasonable expectation for the chance of said trait(s) to be inherited by your future offspring? Don't people deserve to know if such probabilities are non-existent? Failure to disclose is surely a moral wrong. But should new laws be placed on the books to deter the fraudsters among us?

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Some cosmetic surgeries have become so convincing that it is getting increasingly difficult to distinguish what is natural vs. what has been artificially constructed. It has gotten to the point where I've been wondering if disclosure requirements should become federal law.

If you are attracted to a certain physical trait(s) of the opposite sex (eye color, ass shape, etc.) and especially if it happens be one of the main reasons for your decision to proceed in a relationship, isn't there a reasonable expectation for the chance of said trait(s) to be inherited by your future offspring? Don't people deserve to know if such probabilities are non-existent? Failure to disclose is surely a moral wrong. But should new laws be placed on the books to deter the fraudsters among us?

Is your argument that people should be able to be confident they'll be attracted to their kids? I don't think that will stand up well under scrutiny...

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
What?! No. If you're having children, that decision shouldn't be based in any way on them having specific physical "traits". Isn't that basically eugenics?

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
The OP reads like the ramblings of a potential school shooter. If one of the "main reasons" you are in a relationship with someone is because you want your children to inherit their ass shape, there is something wrong with you.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
why do you care what your kids are gonna look like.

if cosmetic surgery is indistinguishable to the point where you cant tell whether its natural or not why would it ever come up or bother you.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Troll thread? Troll account?

The type of shite some people sit around thinking about.

OP
OP

Scrillz

Banned
Jan 4, 2021
Is your argument that people should be able to be confident they'll be attracted to their kids? I don't think that will stand up well under scrutiny...

Oh c'mon, that's what you took from my comment?

No, my logic, based on my very limited knowledge of biology, was that we expect/hope for some of the desirable traits we identify in our partner to be passed on to our offspring so that they are desired as well in order to increase their chance of reproduction and so on...

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
If your main reason for being in a relationship with someone is "ass shape", you probably shouldn't be getting married to them full stop.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
should your partner be scanned for and disclose potential genetically inheritable diseases before you marry/have kids?

Same kinda question and the answer is still no

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
probably only if they got plastic surgery in their face so hardcore that they look nothing like there old self. any other plastc surgery is whatever
i have no issue with plastic surgery but ive seen a couple before and afters from people who have an addiction to plastic surgery and it left me a bit uncomforatble with how they looked nothing close to their old self.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
abuelo-simpson.gif

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
You should probably tell your life partner about significant life events, but that reasoning is so stupid

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
should your partner be scanned for and disclose potential genetically inheritable diseases before you marry/have kids?

"im so glad we decided to do a third date, if you could just strap yourself into this machine, it's called the 'One-Drop' detector, just gotta sort a few things out before things get SERIOUS."

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Oh c'mon, that's what you took from my comment?

No, my logic, based on my very limited knowledge of biology, was that we expect/hope for some of the desirable traits we identify in our partner to be passed on to our offspring so that they are desired as well in order to increase their chance of reproduction and so on...
I don't think people should be choosing partners based on how attractive we think the kids would be.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

What the hell is this?

Monstress

Sep 9, 2019
There are weird masculinist vibes from this post, things like "I don't have a girlfriend because my dad/mom has bad genes".

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Face/Off 2 will starting filming in July, said the studio. The plot is a closely guarded secret, but leaks suggest the film will be a departure from the action-packed 1993 original. One insider says the sequel will be a legal drama about legislation dealing with the face-substitution tech, which is now commonplace: one person's tireless, insane, doomed crusade to force partners to reveal, as part of the marriage ceremony, any prior cosmetic procedures, so they have a chance to change their minds or sue for damages.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico

How in the ever loving fuck is not disclosing you got a cosmetic surgery on your ass morally wrong?

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Your kids can get plastic surgery too so they can live up to your expectations of their physical appearance

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
This is a hilariously terrible opinion and something I'd imagine to be a storyline in Always Sunny lol.

Oct 27, 2017
No, not at all. The delivery was a bit tongue and cheek and shouldn't be taken too seriously but I am curious about this particular social phenomenon that we are discussing.

You probably shouldn't be marrying someone if you know so little about them that you haven't seen any pictures of them as a teenager.

Taking your question seriously and assuming you're talking about major facial cosmetic surgery done purely for vanity.

OP
OP

Scrillz

Banned
Jan 4, 2021

I actually wanted to avoid approaching the topic from this angle and focus on the superficial, hence the cosmetic focus, but since you brought it up I will explain how your answer to your proposed question is awful and dangerous: I carry the sickle cell trait and I absolutely have to request such disclosures from my potential partners for the sake of my future kid's wellbeing. Too many couples who are in similar situations as me don't have these conversations, and unfortunately their kids suffer as a result.

Anyways, I would like to keep things lighthearted and stick to the superficial for the sake of easy going discussions.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Yeah it makes sense. I want my kids to have longer legs, sharper claws, maybe sonar. Anything to give them an edge.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
You should be required to disclose your internet posting history though.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I actually wanted to avoid approaching the topic from this angle and focus on the superficial, hence the cosmetic focus, but since you brought it up I will explain how your answer to your proposed question is awful and dangerous: I carry the sickle cell trait and I absolutely have to request such disclosures from my potential partners for the sake of my future kid's wellbeing. Too many couples who are in similar situations as me don't have these conversations, and unfortunately their kids suffer as a result.

Anyways, I would like to keep things lighthearted and stick to the superficial for the sake of easy going discussions.
You might get more positive responses when it is about horrible genetic diseases - where yeah, testing before you start on having kids the traditional way - compared to superficial ones about not loving your kids because they are ugly.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

fair enough - I was wondering as I posted if you yourself have specific genetic traits you would probably want to check with potential partners and make an informed decision about kids or not - and in theory that would connect to marriage/long term partnership based on each of your attitudes towards wanting kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.