• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was the big acronym debate of the past. Was GoW Gears of War, or God of War? Well, with Gears 5 it seems that Microsoft has thrown in the towel and given God of War the victory in the acronym wars!

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GoW has always been God of War. I think some people used GeoW to differentiate between them.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
First accusing them of paying for the logo change, and now this? Are you OK OP?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
GoW was always God of War because it came out first.

Still, it's funny that I used to call previous Gears of War games "Gears"... and now I kinda get the strange urge to call Gears 5 "Gears of War" for some reason.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GOW is God of War
GOW is Gears of War

Just like AC is Assassins Creed and Astral Chain and Animal Crossing

Just more platform wars bs that is fucking embarassing.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
GeoW was never a thing. Pretty much everyone has always called it Gears. Either IRL or on the internet, you say Gears. God of War was always GoW. And IRL everyone just says God of War.

First release: God of War; March 22, 2005
First release: Gears of War; November 7, 2006

There's no debate here.

Release date has absolutely no relevancy. There were AC acronyms before Assassin's Creed, and people still assume you mean Assassin's Creed if you say AC while talking about videogame. Unless in a very specific thread about another game.

Yes, GoW means God of War. But it's not because of the release date.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen people using GeoW for Gears of Wars, I always see people refer to it as Gears. GoW is used when is 100% obvious that you are talking about gears of wars and not God of War

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This only proves that MK is the biggest acronym war that ever was

specially because the sentences in which they are used can work for both mortal kombat and mario kart since they are all games based on wanting to behead your friends xD

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it wasn't really a debate. GoW got used for both titles, and for some reason, some god of war fans got upset about it. The GeOW stuff was silly and wasn't seriously ever used by anyone. I even saw people write GoOW sometimes for God of War. It was all dumb.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
the franchise is Gears of War but depending on the type of release the name changes.

for example Gears 5 is mainline AAA title (Gears of War 4 was actually also revealed simply as Gears 4 before they changed it back), Gears Tactics is a spin off game similar to XCom and Gears Pop! is the mobile game they released last month.

Its just making it cleaner and easily keeps everything under Gears, plus like Rod said everyone called it Gears anyways.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It's always been God of War.

They're just conceding that no one calls it "Gears of War" and just says "Gears."

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
When Gears of War 4 was first shown they just called it Gears 4, so I assume they've been fighting for this for a while. I assumed marketing stepped in last time but Rod got what he wanted this time around.

Reminds me kinda of the MW2 change that old IW wanted.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
This only proves that MK is the biggest acronym war that ever was

specially because the sentences in which they are used can work for both mortal kombat and mario kart since they are all games based on wanting to behead your friends xD
Yep MK still gets me, since I hang out in Nintendo circles but associate it with Mortal Kombat.

To answer OP's question, Gears was always Geow or just Gears to me. GoW is God of War.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen anyone using GeoW.

I have definitely seen a lot of confusion for years about what GoW meant.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's context sensitive based on which platform you're taking about. GOW is still shorter than Gears.

It's okay to let games share the same acronym

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
GeoW was never used. GoW to me meant Gears of War but I never played God of War until this gen. Gears of War has always been shortened to Gears. When you put a message in the group chat you say "Anyone up for Gears?" Not GoW and most definitely not GeoW.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Gears of War has always been 'gears'. At least among the people I talk to.
Spoken, yes. I've never heard anyone say GoW out loud, lol. On the internet people used GoW for both because it's shorter and both were correct, but it became a weird fanboy thing to get mad about it.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Weird to see people claim they never seen GeoW. When game first came out, I've seen it everywhere. Like, it was the way people referred to Gears of War for awhile, until just "gears" came about and edged it over.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like a lot of things in English it's based on context. GoW refers to both and you know which game it's referencing based on the context of the conversation.

Like how you know when bass is talking about the fish, or the instrument, or that thing you drop based on the conversation.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen people use "GeoW" to mean Gears of War. Multiple games can have the same acronyms. It's quite common and really not too much of an issue in most discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.