• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The whole situation with the role claim this early on is weird IMO. Here is how I see it:

If He is telling the truth and he is townie then revealing the double vote early on is actually counterproductive. Double-voting is an skill better reserved for the late game where the number of players is vastly reduced. Not only is claiming painting a target on his back, he could also reduce the options the scum has to choose in order to hit another valuable power role. If he did the claim in order to gain town trust then he just gave the scum a freebie IMO.

Now if he was mafia then the claim could make some sort of sense. He could be trying to claim a non vital power role in order to gain the trust of the townies in the game. Perhaps with the help of a role-cop in case we have townie roles capable of doing just that. However, by claiming day one he also puts himself at a disadvantage since anyone in future days could call his claim into question, thereby also painting a target in his back. I need to add here that if exodus were to be scum then I0d expect him no to do something as bold as role-claiming day 1 (Then again, I've seen some weird things happen, so idk).

Now then, onto the most interesting possibility: Exodus is an independent player. If he were neutral his playstyle would vary depending on his role, and based on his actions so far, he could be a jester looking to get lynched early. This could fit with the nature of his claim which can be easily proven wrong or right. If he is not telling the truth then he has already given the players plenty of ammo to use against him. Thus leading to an early elimination.

Now, we could prove this by tying votes with him in order to see that both his claims are true. If it is true, then more than likely he is town (and a risk taker) but if he is lying then my instinct is telling me that he is a jester and we should ignore him for the rest of the game.

[BTW Everyone, quick pause in the middle of my rant. I have a question. How does the outside communications work in these games. In the previous games Ive played elsewhere PM's were allowed as long as the game runner was also included in the conversations. Is this true here, or are only the mafia allowed to have their chatroom.]

LOL, I feel like I can edit out my whole post and just say "EDIT: beaten"

Glad that we're thinking the same possibilities about exo's claim

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
It doesn't make him town though. This could still be a scum or neutral power.
True. I was referring to his DV claim rather than his town one.

Either way he made arisky move and painted a target on his back as sae also pointed out. That is the reason I'm pinning him more as neutral or town.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
LOL, I feel like I can edit out my whole post and just say "EDIT: beaten"

Glad that we're thinking the same possibilities about exo's claim

Ninja power.
68f881494be1a00ed6f682af124b92bd5368b749_hq.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
True. I was referring to his DV claim rather than his town one.

Either way he made arisky move and painted a target on his back as sae also pointed out. That is the reason I'm pinning him more as neutral or town.

I just came from a game where scum claimed cop on day 1 and then faked a green check on a scum buddy. So I've seen scum do some bold shit and I wouldn't really rule out claiming a NAI role like a double voter on day 1 to try to get some town cred.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking over the game, I am suspicious of so many people here. There are quite a few people who have not contributed much, or in some cases, anything at all. I'm pretty okay with most flips at this point, although I would like to keep around nin and lokiduck right now. I'm not convinced that anyone is town, but they're both actively answering questions and working with us, and I would rather look at them closer in later days.

I think the flip I'm learning towards the most right now though is weemadarthur. A lot of their reasoning for both defending certain players as well as accusing others of being scum is based entirely off of meta reads or small nitpickings like Chuggernaut saying he's never been scum before. It all just feels so empty when I look back over it, like it has the semblance of trying to appear busy without actually having to stick to any of the arguments.

Vote: weemadarthur

I'm not a fan of choosing weemad for a Day 1 lynch. It might be better to aim for a lower count poster on an early day (while fully noting the irony in me being a lower count poster ( ._.) ) because more posts means more stuff to dig through on later days. Low contribution players remain a painful enigma in later days

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I just came from a game where scum claimed cop on day 1 and then faked a green check on a scum buddy. So I've seen scum do some bold shit and I wouldn't really rule out claiming a NAI role like a double voter on day 1 to try to get some town cred.
This. It's why I don't trust the completely unprompted claim. If there was some pressure on them at the time I'd feel better about it because it would be an attempt to not be killed. But this? I can't figure out the why of it.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Neon just to answer your question we keep all game thread talk here unless it's scum chat or some other approved chat (masons, etc). We also don't do jesters here and I believe we consider them bastard. Since this game isn't bastard you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Gonna get to the other comments around soon. Need to get ready for tomorrow and I'll get my final thoughts in before I zzzzx

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Vote: WhySoDevious
For reasons I explained in my post above, but I'd be good with an LP lynch, too

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Well at least the catching up aint too bad yet.

Xodus's claim is weird, i was thinking i would wait to see if it turns out to be more complicated via X-shots or whatever but the fact hes throwing it out today willy nilly makes that seem unlikely. eh, will look more into em later.

Weemad feels...off?

Zeke is still seeing sinister intent in every shadow, so good to know that hasn't changed.

Light theme is for cowards.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We also don't do jesters here and I believe we consider them bastard. Since this game isn't bastard you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Okay, then this is good to know! I swear on the old site we played a game that had a miller or something looking to get killed :o

So then, exodus , like why do the claim? lol

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's not always great to refer back to previous games, but in the case of LP, I've been in a game where he was scum and kept to a minimum number of posts.

So, I wouldn't give LP the benefit of "Oh, you're just low post. Can't be scum, then"

Ah yeah that makes sense, low post count players always give me the impression of trying to fly below the radar

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Good to know that there are no jesters usually in these games.

So what should we do. I'm soon going to catch some zzzs and I'd like to leave with a good idea f how the next hours are going to play out since this phase ends in less than 24 hours and I'm not sure how active I'm going to be.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Im also pretty okay with lynching LP if there arnt really any more...reasoned option i guess?

he is always a rather frustrating (lack of) presence in any game.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not always great to refer back to previous games, but in the case of LP, I've been in a game where he was scum and kept to a minimum number of posts.

So, I wouldn't give LP the benefit of "Oh, you're just low post. Can't be scum, then"

Mmm LP kind of does that regardless of if he's scum or town though. It's why I have such a hard time reading him most of the time. I think the only time I correctly hit him as scum was when he replaced in for someone.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actual read list time!

Sawneeks: I was kind of liking her post at the start, but I'm less sure about her at this point. Doubling down on the LP vote seemed weird to me and I'm not a huge fan of her just immediately town reading Exodus for his NAI claim at best. I've been kicking around a world where scum Neeks is trying to pocket a town Exodus there. I'm leaning scum on my former boat friend, and that bums me out.

Ketkat: Have really liked what I've seen from her so far. She seems to be scum hunting and I'm liking the questions she's asking. This can be faked especially this early in the game, but I have her as a town lean for now.

Zeke: I'm kind of just seeing what I can get from his interactions with others at this point. I've found myself nodding along to a few of his post, but again, dude can sneaky. Null for now.

Loki: My opinion hasn't really changed here. She feels like new town.

Stan: Hasn't done too much. Null for now.

LP: LP has been LPing it up. Null for now.

nin: I really haven't liked what I've seen of nin so far. I wanted to give him some time to see if he would come up with some reads since last time I read him and now, but there's still not much there other then who he would info flip. And even with that, I don't think info flipping Kong would tell us all that much. Lean scum.

Saenima: Some prodding questions here and there, but there's not much there otherwise. Would like to see more from him. Null.

Meatwad: Not a fan of him being all "Chugg's can be tricky as scum." for reasons I've explained. Not sure if that's lying scum or remembering wrong town. Very slight scum lean. Want to see more from him.

Z-Beat: Some prodding and poking here and there, and some discussion of game mechanics, but I'm getting slight townie feels here that I can't quite pinpoint. Slight town lean.

Exodus: I'm not a fan of this claim here. Especially the way he made it out to be like he was being scum read by a bunch of people which really wasn't true. There's really not too much here otherwise except him saying I'm more active here then I was during day 1 in our last game (Something I don't think is true, but eh.) I don't see me voting for him today, but I'm keeping an eye on him.

Neon: Seems to be a bit more bold then the other newbies, but I think he mentioned that this isn't the first time he's played mafia so that makes sense. If there is scum among the newbies, then I feel like it's most likely to be here, but I've liked his post so far. Lean town.

Wee: This is the only thing making me unsure of my Neeks read, because I'm not super thrilled with Wee's posts either. I have no idea where that LP defense is coming from at all. That exchange between them and Neeks soured me on both of them, to be honest.

Oreo: Not much there. Haven't played with him before either so I don't know what to think about that. Give me more, man. Null for now.

Devious: The same exact situation as Oreo. Want more from both of them.

Queen Kong: Seems like inexperienced town. Town for me.

B-Dubs: Not much here, but I've liked what he has to say about Exodus. Very tiny hint of a town lean. Want to hear his current thoughts.

Reki: Probably my strongest town lean so far. I played with town Reki last game and she doesn't feel any different as of now.

Anyway, this list is super duper subject to change. Activity being kind of low and day 1 being day 1 is having me struggle to get a grasp on the game. There's way too many nulls in my list right now and I'm not a fan of that. Leaning towards a Neeks or nin kill as of now, but if someone wants to make a persuasive argument for one of my nulls I would be glad to hear it.
How am I above Wee if you liked my earlier play but have no mention of liking Wee's early play? And Meatwad gave the same read that is bugging you about me but that isn't in your list?

Actually singling you out shows my thought process. It's the same thing as a vote: you can be unsure about things but a vote tells everyone else where your strongest read is. Like voting to prod one person out of 18.
I'd give this more weight if I wasn't the one voting for you. Like if you singled me out before I voted for you? Sure. But I voted for you and then you came in with a read. if I hadn't voted for you I don't know if you would have ever singled me out.

I'm not a fan of choosing weemad for a Day 1 lynch. It might be better to aim for a lower count poster on an early day (while fully noting the irony in me being a lower count poster ( ._.) ) because more posts means more stuff to dig through on later days. Low contribution players remain a painful enigma in later days
tenor.gif

Okay, then this is good to know! I swear on the old site we played a game that had a miller or something looking to get killed :o

So then, exodus , like why do the claim? lol
Good to know that there are no jesters usually in these games.

So what should we do. I'm soon going to catch some zzzs and I'd like to leave with a good idea f how the next hours are going to play out since this phase ends in less than 24 hours and I'm not sure how active I'm going to be.
Unless things have changed in the last few months most of our activity happens in the hours (>4) leading up to Day End. It's sometimes a clusterfuck :p

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
oops, forgot that oreomunsta one.

We've had millers but that's Town coming up as scum on a cop check. Tanners have been in our ONUW games but i don't recall them ever being in a full game here. :x

Oct 25, 2017
How am I above Wee if you liked my earlier play but have no mention of liking Wee's early play? And Meatwad gave the same read that is bugging you about me but that isn't in your list?

The post I liked were mostly early day 1 stuff. It's a very soft like. You set off a bit more alarm bells to me there then Wee did.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mmm LP kind of does that regardless of if he's scum or town though. It's why I have such a hard time reading him most of the time. I think the only time I correctly hit him as scum was when he replaced in for someone.

Yeah, it could go either way, but I prefer a low-post lynch for D1

Guess we might as well get this started.

Vote: nin

y tho

Pretty much again me wanting a low-post lynch D1. I live for the late-game analysis of players with lots of posts o_o weemad's contributing a lot so far

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Well guys. gtg. I'll see you tomorrow for those hours of insanity. Hope we can reach a consensus.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
You have almost the exact same conclusion as me. Like I'm actually on the same page with you here. I just don't want to write it off as town and never come back to Exodus. It's NAI
The way you word things comes off with more "shade". It's subtle, but it's there.
It doesn't make him town though. This could still be a scum or neutral power.
So what do you want to do about it?

Ah yeah that makes sense, low post count players always give me the impression of trying to fly below the radar
At this point we know lp's low posting style is nai at best right?

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And you're voting me for starting a conversation with a different player, using an inside joke.

We all have our faults. Hahaha that's a mineral pun. Omg i love me.
That's....not it at all, Wee.

I'm going over it again but here's the breakdown.

It starts here where I vote for LP. As I explain later it's a half joke/half prod that I wanted LP to do more of something, anything. I also was not against it becoming a far more serious vote if nothing else popped up, i.e. scum reads
Vote: lone_prodigy

Will we get something productive out of LP? Will he give us anything? Can he post more than 15 posts per phase?

Only time will tell

Gnight

Then Wee posts this with little actual explanation
Chuggs seems fine.
Exodus pings my scumdar.
Sneeks is scum.
Kong is trying to logic, which i like, but i disagree with both her bases and her conclusions.
Neon sounds fine but all the stuff posted is mechanical not this-game oriented.
Loki eh. Not that it matters. Noob pass.
LP doesn't seem scummy yet

A couple of folks note it and ask questions. These are Reki, Sae, and Ket.
This is probably just a D1 thing, but if not, would you mind elaborating?

Don't mess with Aeleus, he is nice.
A couple of people said Saw looked scummy but she has no votes.

Put your votes where your mouth is i sayz.
I thought LP's low activity style was a running joke here.
Wee clarifies to Reki that it's simply unbelievable that a Townie could ever pick out LP because he is the 'easy' target. Says my reasoning (keep this part in mind) is too weak.
Her vote and its argument are not believable from a town pov. It's "easy" to pick on LP. It also didn't appear to be a prod, but sincere.
Which I why I specified that I considered whether it might be a prod. Or perhaps joke, tho I didn't say that.
It doesn't look like one, I concluded.
Ket and Reki pursue it further, asking Wee how my vote somehow makes me Scum.
It seems like a prod vote to try and get LP to post more since he's pretty well known to not be very active. So, a genuine concern but I doubt her vote would stay there the entire day phase. However, let's say she is 100% genuine and stands behind that vote, why does that make her scum in your eyes?
Let me rephrase it then.

How does this

Look serious enough to consider it "not believable from a town pov"?
I wake up and join in on this fun time with an explanation of my vote.
For the record it's a somewhat joke/prod vote that I would not be against come Day End if nothing else pops up. I'd rather lunch someone today who hasn't provided anything than to just let them keep going and continue to not give anything.

Wee's response Ket's and Reki's question as to why that makes me scum is, again, I've been around long enough to know prods don't work on LP so therefore I am a liar for trying it anyway.
She's been around long enough to know prod votes don't work on LP. Therefore I think her statements are lies. Always kill liars.

So....we finally have recruitable TOWN? Omg i've been WANTING that.

Wee doesn't respond to my explanation post (despite mentioning that my reasoning is weak even though I didn't explain it until after their chat with Reki/Ket). I ask them why
I didn't ignore you simply by not quoting you. I called you a liar.
You only responded to the prod part and not the last part. What do you think of my more serious reasoning?
Don't believe you.
Think it's a lie.

LP can be useful actually.

I think town you would want to vote someone else out on day one.
Thank you, appreciate the reads. :>

LP can be useful, yes. And he's not right now, which is why I'm not against throwing him off the island. I don't get why you are adamant to protect him, he's done nothing.

I'd love to vote someone else out Day 1 but no one so far has done anything horribly scummy so I'm going to my second best option: people who haven't contributed anything. Unless you have a really good argument for someone else i'm cool where i'm at
I'm going to have to agree with Sawneeks here, this is a strange defense of LP when he hasn't actually done anything yet in this game. If he can be useful, that's up to him to show to us. I really am not sure how someone putting a vote there makes them scum

This whole exchange happens. I call out Wee for not discussing my reasoning behind the vote and they continue to simply sit on the 'you should know better' angle without talking about lunching low post counts, unhelpful Day 1, etc. Even Ket enters in again and echoes my sentiment that Wee is protecting LP and that gets nothing out of them.

Wee's next post is:
nin is scum.
I can tell from the lack of art.

That's the second dodge from Wee so I vote:
Vote: weemadarthur

hi. i don't like you backing down from this LP thing.

Response? 'i'm scumhunting'. Still nothing back to me.
That's a claim that's easy to prove.

If exo wants to put a target on his own back, whatever. Not my back.

Sawneeks
I'm not backing down. I'm scumhunting further.

Reki
Ok yes, it's hard to follow my logic skips, this is why i'm not a coder. I'm working on it. Course when I detail all my thought process ppl still don't agree, so eh. I'll post what I get to.

Saenima is different from normal, and normal for sae is town. This requires further ...inspection.
You're ignoring further prodding by people and continue to not acknowledge the second part of what I said. maybe it's not backing down but it sure is dodging.
And then even keeps it going by ignoring this last statement too.

Neeks:
VagueOnlyHare-small.gif

Wee:
tenor.gif

thank you for coming to my TED talk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it could go either way, but I prefer a low-post lynch for D1

y tho

I laid it out earlier in my read post. He's been playing today close to his chest in regards to any sort of reads. At best, he's not helping town scum hunt.

You just auto town reading Exodus after his claim just came off as fake to me. That and your LP vote is weird. It all feels very flimsy and it doesn't feel like something town you would do from like our one other game together.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I laid it out earlier in my read post. He's been playing today close to his chest in regards to any sort of reads. At best, he's not helping town scum hunt.

You just auto town reading Exodus after his claim just came off as fake to me. That and your LP vote is weird. It all feels very flimsy and it doesn't feel like something town you would do from like our one other game together.
I see little reason to believe he is Scum for that claim. The payout just isn't enough to justify that level of early scrutiny that kind of claim will get you. Last time I was scum I ran with that 'wellllll, you never know that early claim COULD still be scum guys...' for days because you always keep a mislynch open. The person who Day 1 claimed was Town and forcing discussion on them was the easiest way to blend in as a scum team.

Unless Exo just rides this claim for Days and does nothing else I'm fine with just putting him aside for now. There's 17 other people in this game to focus on right now. :x

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aight, I'm getting some sleep. I'm in the dentist chair when the Day ends so it's super unlikely I'll be here but i'll try and pop in tomorrow morning. Key word being try. :<

I'm fine with my Wee vote for reasons above. I'm also not against LP or any of the other lower post count folks. The only people I would be against lunching are highly unlikely to be up for a vote but if for some reason they are I am against getting rid of these people as of now: Ms. Duck, Chuggs, Neon, Kong, and Ket. Would also rather not lynch Exo either for reasons above.

g'night o/

Oct 25, 2017
I see little reason to believe he is Scum for that claim. The payout just isn't enough to justify that level of early scrutiny that kind of claim will get you. Last time I was scum I ran with that 'wellllll, you never know that early claim COULD still be scum guys...' for days because you always keep a mislynch open. The person who Day 1 claimed was Town and forcing discussion on them was the easiest way to blend in as a scum team.

Unless Exo just rides this claim for Days and does nothing else I'm fine with just putting him aside for now. There's 17 other people in this game to focus on right now. :x

It's mostly the he really hasn't done much aside from the claim that's pinging my "Maybe they're scum detector." and I know I keep bringing this up, but I just came out of a game where a double voter used that power and just rode that for a while because everyone (Myself included) was like "Oh, they're probably town because of the double vote" They were also bussing like crazy so everyone was just overlooking them and Monkey had the drag the rest of town to that kill. Oh, and LP ended up replacing into one of the spots on the scum double vote boat. That last part isn't really relevant, but I thought it brought this full circle and it's a fun detail lol.

Anyway, it's still early game, so I'm okay with leaving them around and letting Exodus actually do something, but I'm just nervous that we're making the same mistake we made before. I'm going to go look back at Wee's posts

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Right so, Exo's role has been confirmed and we all basically agree that the role itself is NAI right? For this reason, his odd choice to claim day 1, and in general not giving me any reason to town read him, I'm still going to keep an eye on him like Sawneeks and Chuggs suggested above (because we do not want a repeat of LB3), but at the same time I also agree that maybe it's better to look elsewhere. So with that (here's hoping this works) [HIGHTLIGHT]Unvote[/HIGHLIGHT].

Now as for who I will vote for now... I am unsure.

I am totally fine with voting for one of the low post counters just because they haven't given us much to get decent reads anyways, but again I'm unsure.

Another issue for me personally is that EoD happens right as my lunch starts normally, so I may not actually be around much, so I need to figure out my vote before lunch tomorrow I guess. XD

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Regarding Exodus and his claim.

He showed us that he has the power to double-vote.
That seems fair but that does not mean that he is town alligned.
Let that be clear.

exodus glad you flexed but what did you want to accomplish by coming out like this ?
I mean, we will keep assuiming that there is the possibility of you being scum.
If you are indeed town, scum will try to just keep you alive in order to get lynched by town.
Or you will get killed by Scum since a town double voter is a lot more valuable to town.

In hindsight, you made the wrong move in my eyes.

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
nin: I really haven't liked what I've seen of nin so far. I wanted to give him some time to see if he would come up with some reads since last time I read him and now, but there's still not much there other then who he would info flip. And even with that, I don't think info flipping Kong would tell us all that much. Lean scum.

I wont give out actual reads until mids of day 2 or later, i just cant make up my mind about most of the players early game.
Most of the time early in the game i have a hunch but i dont want that hunch to lead me to false judgment. Thats why i am very hesitant on giving out reads this early in the game.
Thoughts, you can have my thoughts on the players if that makes you a bit more comfortable.

Regarding the Kong -thing. Saw asked me who i would like to see dead and why, i gave out my honest and not thought out gut answer. Still not sure why anyone would pin me down for something hypothetical. It just feels like the answer did not matter since everyone who i would have chosen would have been a bad choice that early in the game :3