• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
Based on the beloved Sega games of the same name, the show hails from co-creators Mike McMahan and Joe Chandler. Matthew Rhys ("The Americans," "Perry Mason"), Danny Pudi ("Community," "Mythic Quest"), Lisa Gilroy ("Jury Duty," "Interior Chinatown"), Liam McIntyre ("Spartacus," "The Flash"), and Carl Tart ("Grand Crew," "Star Trek: Lower Decks") will lead the voice cast.
Comedy Central has ordered 10 episodes. The official description of the series states the show "follows veteran warriors Ax Battler (McIntyre), Tyris Flare (Gilroy), and Gilius Thunderhead (Rhys) as they once again battle to save Yuria from the evil giant Death Adder who just won't seem to stay dead. Fortunately, this time they have the inexperienced and underprepared Hampton Squib (Pudi) on their side."
Character Descriptions

–Matthew Rhys will play Gilius Thunderhead, a grumpy battle dwarf with exceptionally poor hygiene and a chip on his shoulder.

–Danny Pudi will play Hampton Squib, a naive, inexperienced first time adventurer who has dreamt of questing his entire life. He hopes his can-do attitude can make up for his inability to actually do stuff.

–Lisa Gilroy will play Tyris Flare, a fearsome battle sorceress, deadly in a fight and even deadlier with her sharp wit.

–Liam McIntyre will play Ax Battler, a barbarian warrior with a strict code of honor and sweet golden retriever demeanor. His brawn outweighs his brains, but his heart outweighs his brawn.

–Carl Tart will play Chronos "Evil" Lait, originally from "Golden Axe III", is a 100% badass humanoid panther. At least that's how Chronos describes himself. In reality he's uncomfortably cheesy and can't read a room.
variety.com

‘Golden Axe’ Animated Series From Mike McMahan Set at Comedy Central; Matthew Rhys and Danny Pudi Among Voice Cast

A "Golden Axe" animated series has been greenlit at Comedy Central, Variety has learned.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Golden Axe is a really interesting IP to me. Sega keeps trying at it, even though it never seems to take off.
Guess there's no harm in trying again with a new show and game though.

Just always kinds of surprises me when they have other stuff they could tap into. Unsure why GA is the big "We GOTTA TRY THAT AGAIN" IP for them.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
awkward-cringe.gif

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I haven't seen him in anything but I just saw that Matthew Rhys is Welsh and now I hope they play into that and have a very Welsh dwarf.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
after how Sonic turned out, I refuse to write off any of Sega's film and TV efforts just yet

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
Wild the age we're in of leveraging video game IP for television. Feels like Hollywood will glom onto any level of name recognition over original programming. Hard to believe golden axe has much pull, but I suppose just the fact it's based on a video game at all results in more coverage

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Took me a minute to process "Golden Axe show on Comedy Central."

How often are we going to see those gnomes get kicked.
This will be the plot to an episode, after being a running gag. The gnomes are fed up with being smacked around, so they decide to band together for revenge against our heroes.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Eh with the comedy aspect.

The original arcade game did have a fourth wall breaking comedy ending, like Altered Beast, but for the most part the games are serious matters.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
If this gets us a modern port of Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder… I'll allow it…

Seriously, why can't we have a version of this game on modern consoles?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only in if Death Adder is in it and he dies by the golden axe being knocked up into the air, spins a bit, then lands back on his chest impaling him.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Only in if Death Adder is in it and he dies by the golden axe being knocked up into the air, spins a bit, then lands back on his chest impaling him.
Death Adder dies in the first episode the second he rises from his throne, the horns of his helmet catching on the legendary axe nearby, causing it to fall upon him.

The nine subsequent episodes involve Death Adder dying by his own axe in increasingly convoluted ways while the heroes do fuck all about it.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Golden Axe? Why would I care about Golden Axe

-Mike McMahan leading the show now that Lower Decks is wrapping up

And I'm in!

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I loved Golden Axe games on Sega Genesis, but it's so weird that they're making an animated series for it, and comedy too!
Can't wait for this and new game.

Oct 26, 2017
When I think Golden Axe I think...comedy?

Well, I won't totally disregard it just because it's not a serious action show. I'll await audience impressions.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
We used to have Saturday morning cartoon versions of every IP imaginable. Kinda nostalgic to see these random IP shows. Could be entertaining...could be.