jungius

Sep 5, 2021
"I had the hormonal urges," said Prof Camille Parmesan, a leading climate scientist based in France. "Oh my gosh, it was very strong. But it was: 'Do I really want to bring a child into this world that we're creating?' Even 30 years ago, it was very clear the world was going to hell in a handbasket. I'm 62 now and I'm actually really glad I did not have children."

Parmesan is not alone. An exclusive Guardian survey has found that almost a fifth of the female climate experts who responded have chosen to have no children, or fewer children, due to the environmental crises afflicting the world.

Such decisions were extremely difficult, they said. Dr Shobha Maharaj, an expert on the effects of the climate crisis from Trinidad and Tobago, has chosen to have only one child, a son who is now six years old. "Choosing to have a child was and continues to be a struggle," she said.

Maharaj said fear of what her child's future would hold, as well as adding another human to the planet, were part of the struggle: "When you grow up on a small island, it becomes part of you. Small islands are already being very adversely impacted, so there is this constant sense of impending loss and I just didn't want to have to transfer that to my child."

The Guardian approached every contactable lead author or review editor of all reports from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change since 2018. The IPCC's reports are the gold standard of climate knowledge. Of the 843 contacted, 360 replied to the question on life decisions, a high response rate.

Ninety-seven female scientists responded, with 17, including women from Brazil, Chile, Germany, India and Kenya, saying they had chosen to have fewer children. All but 1% of the scientists surveyed were over 40 years old and two-thirds were over 50, reflecting the senior positions they had reached in their professions. A quarter of the respondents were women, the same proportion as the overall authorship of the IPCC reports.

The findings were in response to a question about major personal decisions taken in response to the climate crisis by scientists who know the most about it, and who expect global temperatures to soar past international targets in coming years. 7% of the male scientists who responded said they had had either no children or fewer than they would otherwise have had.

Most of the female scientists interviewed had made their decisions about children in past decades, when they were younger and the grave danger of global heating was less apparent. They said they had not wanted to add to the global human population that is exacting a heavy environmental toll on the planet, and some also expressed fears about the climate chaos through which a child might now have to live.

arctic: https://www.theguardian.com/environ...climate-scientists-starting-families-children

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I won't have any kids of my own, but this is definitely a concern for any future nieces and nephews I might have.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I can't imagine the living hell that must be being a climate scientist. It's basically a life spent trying to save the world by screaming at people who will do everything to ignore, if not undermine you.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Have children (if you want them). Raise them to be climate aware and to trust science. Teach them ways to be better for the environment.

Otherwise, this is a self-fulfilling prophecy, because you sure as fuck know that the idiots who deny it all aren't stopping and raising their children with their same beliefs.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the article title sensationalizes this a bit, given over 80% of the women and over 90% of the men who responded didn't report they would have no or fewer kids due to this

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Climate chaos is one of my greatest fears. There is going to be a lot of displaced and hungry people in the near future.

I do not believe technology will save us at this point or at least save whatever we had.

Not going to be fun.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Have children (if you want them). Raise them to be climate aware and to trust science. Teach them ways to be better for the environment.

Otherwise, this is a self-fulfilling prophecy, because you sure as fuck know that the idiots who deny it all aren't stopping and raising their children with their same beliefs.
I think this is ultimately it - the Idiocracy outcome.

Oct 28, 2017
People have literally been saying this for almost 100 years.(if not more) The way I figure , it will be one of these kids today who figure this whole mess out. Why do I believe this? Because just typed this message on a phone and sent it all around the world in a matter of seconds. There was a time this would have been impossible too.

The alternative is despair and hopelessness and that is something I do not abide.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
People have literally been saying this for almost 100 years.(if not more) The way I figure , it will be one of these kids today who figure this whole mess out. Why do I believe this? Because just typed this message on a phone and sent it all around the world in a matter of seconds. There was a time this would have been impossible too.

The alternative is despair and hopelessness and that is something I do not abide.

Yeah - and even if they can't figure it out, what do we do? Just tank the population, stop having kids altogether? I get that it's her personal convictions in the story, but still.

Dec 30, 2020
Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.
~Philip Larkin, This be the Verse.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
People have literally been saying this for almost 100 years.(if not more)
Difference is that now the climate changes effects are being felt in a lot of places, we just had a big climate disaster in Brazil. Nothing of this sort ever happened before

www.resetera.com

Torrential rains leave at least 100+ dead and more missing in southern Brazil

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/02/world/americas/brazil-rain-floods.html Very scary times ahead.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
People have literally been saying this for almost 100 years.(if not more)
This is completely different. This isn't a theoretical future. We are set to have increased temps for at least 50 years before we have any hope of starting to see a decrease. It will have disastrous effects on all life on the planet. We are nowhere near a technical solution to this.

Oct 28, 2017
Difference is that now the climate changes effects are being felt in a lot of places, we just had a big climate disaster in Brazil. Nothing of this sort ever happened before

www.resetera.com

Torrential rains leave at least 100+ dead and more missing in southern Brazil

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/02/world/americas/brazil-rain-floods.html Very scary times ahead.

Oh I'm not saying it's not real, I'm saying the future of the planet can only be saved by our future (children). (that sounds corny i know)

This is completely different. This isn't a theoretical future. We are set to have increased temps for at least 50 years before we have any hope of starting to see a decrease. It will have disastrous effects on all life on the planet. We are nowhere near a technical solution to this.

I understand the outlook however, what do we do about it?

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
At this point the best we can hope for is we see the peak of climate change effects in our lifetimes and it starts trending downward. I do think anyone born in a rich country to a middle class family will likely be fine. I can definitely see the argument that making more children in these countries puts greater stress on the poorer/hotter countries too though.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile the shitheads who don't care or vote for people who are actively destroying the planet keep on fuckin. It's gonna be mad max out there.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of the stories you'd hear about how tech leaders aren't allowing their kids access to social media

Once you're in it, you know what's coming more intimately

TaxiDriver

Oct 30, 2017
At this point the best we can hope for is we see the peak of climate change effects in our lifetimes and it starts trending downward. I do think anyone born in a rich country to a middle class family will likely be fine. I can definitely see the argument that making more children in these countries puts greater stress on the poorer/hotter countries too though.
Yea its sad that the most affected will be the poor. Rich people/kids will be fine.

I see having kids and raising them well (or trying to) as a solution rather than adding to the problem. Hopefully bright minds of the present and future can help to solve problems and help others.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
For real. I wouldn't say sensationalize, I'd say intentionally mislead.
It's pretty embarrassing. I like Helen Czerski at UCL:

fediscience.org

Helen Czerski (@[email protected])

Attached: 1 image Figures like this one from Carbon Brief are what make me optimistic that our society is ALREADY on the path to being much greener. This is the distribution of the fossil/non-fossil fuel mix for electricity for every half hour in a year in Britain, and it's absolutely clear...