Oct 26, 2017
I still like 52.

And, of course, reading the stuff in the accompanying material, Waid (I think it's Waid) talks about how 52 was good because they kept Dan AWAY.

He thought they were fucking it up.

Then we got his version of that, Brightest Day.

And well, the world did not know the true meaning of fucked up until then

I thought Countdown was meant to be his vision of that? Which... well.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Oh shit, and the Wonder Woman book--which was pretty well received, I think?--giving Diana daddy issues and then making the Amazons roving sea-rapists can also fuck off forever.

Yeah, that was Brian Azzarello's run. There was some good ideas, but it destroyed the Amazons as characters (though DC had been slowly doing that for years) and pretty much felt like a story that was never meant to be a Wonder Woman story being retooled lazily into one.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
0jaNpzJ.jpg

Rocafort's designs were too godlike for common DC artists. 😔
Hate the claws. Hate the helmet. Not big on the body suit.

I actually really like the rest of the elements of this design.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It was largely a mess cause it wasn't really a total reboot. They decided to keep so much old lore intact yet no one knew exactly was or wasn't canon anymore in the new continuity. Batman was a huge mess of random stuff that didn't change while some things did. You can't reboot a whole universe but then selectively and randomly decide to keep somethings of the past. They needed to do a complete day 1 reboot of everything.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I thought Countdown was meant to be his vision of that? Which... well.
Countdown was just an editorial disaster, I only read it when it was coming out but I remember like 1/10ths of the stuff in Countdown/to final crisis actually had any relevance to final crisis at all. It existed purely because 52 did so well for them but that did well because they actually had their best people on it and planned the whole thing out.

It was largely a mess cause it wasn't really a total reboot. They decided to keep so much old lore intact yet no one knew exactly was or wasn't canon anymore in the new continuity. Batman was a huge mess of random stuff that didn't change while some things did. You can't reboot a whole universe but then selectively and randomly decide to keep somethings of the past. They needed to do a complete day 1 reboot of everything.
Yeah it's super disjointing when you have someone like Superman who clearly had a bunch of changes and then you look at Batman and Green Lantern and they are exactly the same as they were with some shifting around of timeline stuff.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I've said my piece about The Marvel Family, so I won't mention it here (though those issues were occurring before the reboot).

As much as I liked Azzarello's run, there was no way the creator would have approved the retconned origins.

I felt bad for the books like Zatanna and Batgirl who had good things going for them before they got canned. Even Teen Titans, a book that has been crap for much of the past 5 years was turning a new leaf until nu52 ruined things, derailing a popular new character from this:

images

...to this:

86dc7ed784f1d45324709979349ce603.jpg

Oh and don't forget the trunks debate the reboot spawned.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
New 52 was a disaster, but I get why they did it. Felt like they needed a shot in the arm but they should've planned it much better. Their timeline just condenses way, way too much. Bruce had like 4 robins in 5 years. Must've been going through them like Candy

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Yeah, that was Brian Azzarello's run. There was some good ideas, but it destroyed the Amazons as characters (though DC had been slowly doing that for years) and pretty much felt like a story that was never meant to be a Wonder Woman story being retooled lazily into one.

For sure. This is as bad as or worse than Cap's "Hail Hydra" moment, in that it takes characters that were created with a specific, progressive ideology (for Cap anti-fascism, for the Amazons feminism), and just flushes that down the toilet, utterly betraying those characters and their creators for some cheap shock value. This one doubly hurt because it leaned so much into Limbaugh-ian, anti-feminist talking points: 'ya know those feminazis? they're secretly man-hating rape pirates!'

It also made Diana look fucking stupid, because they have her grow up in this society as, somehow, the ONLY ONE who doesn't know how it works, just so that she can be shocked and stunned along with the reader (and also to give her plausible deniability, I guess?) She's 'one of the good ones!' hur hur.