thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder how TV networks decide what to renew and not nowadays, i can't believe a single show makes money from just ads anymore so its gotta be some package deal of how much it can sell for on streaming/syndication and ??? no clue what else

used to be shows would putter along to 100 episodes because then it was easy to sell on syndication and international but i doubt that is a factor at all anymore, since syndication is swamped with options and there are only so many hours to fill - mostly with seinfeld/friends/big bang theory/modern family now. every time i'm at the gym all 4 of those shows are airing on the big screens on different cable networks.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
It had bad ratings and was a mediocre show. We're early in S2 right now so I'm hoping it had a decent finale.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It really seems like this is a disastrous last couple years for sitcoms. Woof.
It's tragic really, because nothing provides that TV comfort food quite like a great studio sitcom. Right now all anyone points to is Abbott Elementary, which is quite good, but I do feel like is enjoying some outsized praise due to having very little competition. At it's best it's still not as funny as The Office or Parks and Rec were

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's tragic really, because nothing provides that TV comfort food quite like a great studio sitcom. Right now all anyone points to is Abbott Elementary, which is quite good, but I do feel like is enjoying some outsized praise due to having very little competition. At it's best it's still not as funny as The Office or Parks and Rec were

Yeah. I like Abbott just fine, but the show is already getting a little long in the tooth this early in its run. It's still ABSOLUTELY watchable but I don't make time to see it like I would for Community or 30 Rock in their peak years.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
The final scene of the finale made me interested in what they could do with season 3 so that is a little disappointing. ABC seems low on comedies now. Or have they picked any up?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I like Abbott just fine, but the show is already getting a little long in the tooth this early in its run. It's still ABSOLUTELY watchable but I don't make time to see it like I would for Community or 30 Rock in their peak years.
Yeah I really enjoy Abbott and tune in each week, but it's not peak sitcom for me.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder how TV networks decide what to renew and not nowadays, i can't believe a single show makes money from just ads anymore so its gotta be some package deal of how much it can sell for on streaming/syndication and ??? no clue what else

used to be shows would putter along to 100 episodes because then it was easy to sell on syndication and international but i doubt that is a factor at all anymore, since syndication is swamped with options and there are only so many hours to fill - mostly with seinfeld/friends/big bang theory/modern family now. every time i'm at the gym all 4 of those shows are airing on the big screens on different cable networks.

Well, for one, generally anything not Chuck Lorre related gets canceled on CBS to make room for more Chuck Lorre shows.

They canceled the perfectly acceptable So Help Me Todd, yet a spin off is getting is a spin off.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It almost completely abandoned it's premise after the first couple episodes. 99% of it would work the exact same cutting the talking to dead people part out.