• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
Action scribes Josh Appelbaum and André Nemec are going to Disneyland.

The prolific team behind Amazon's high-profile spy series Citadel and showrunners on Netflix's adaptation of Cowboy Bebop, have been tapped to write Disney's live-action adaptation of Space Mountain.
Jonathan Eirich from Rideback, the banner that is behind Netflix's hit live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender series, is producing the feature, which has been in development for several years, along with Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell of Safehouse. Harold was the project's previous writer. Rideback's Ryan Halprin is exec producing.
Space Mountain is the venerable space-themed indoor roller coaster that was first introduced in Florida's Walt Disney World Resort in 1975, followed by installations in California's Disneyland in 1977. It became a fixture in the Tomorrowland section as other parks opened up and is now in five of the six parks around the world.
The ride has no overarching theme nor memorable characters seen in such rides as Pirates of the Caribbean. In fact, Space Mountain in Disneyland has turned into Hyperspace Mountain and given a Star Wars makeover on occasion. As such, the story is being created whole cloth with the ride acting as inspiration.

Plot details are being kept in the hair-sweeping rush of the dark void as Appelbaum and Nemec build out the story.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Space Mountain’ Movie Lands ‘Cowboy Bebop’ Showrunners (Exclusive)

Josh Appelbaum and André Nemec will pen the script inspired by the Disney ride.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
For some reason, I feel like this is about to be the either the worst Disney movie in a long time or somehow actually kinda good

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is either going to suck like nothing has ever sucked before or be a once in a generation masterpiece that's taught in film school a century from now.

THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I swear CollegeHumor made this joke like 15 years ago with two astronauts climbing a literal mountain in space

In fact, Space Mountain in Disneyland has turned into Hyperspace Mountain and given a Star Wars makeover on occasion. As such, the story is being created whole cloth with the ride acting as inspiration.

So what you're saying is there's absolutely nothing to connect it to the ride aside from the name and maybe a space station that looks like the ride building so this movie could've been named anything but you're gonna try to synergize it like you did with the Tomorrowland movie?

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
So what you're saying is there's absolutely nothing to connect it to the ride aside from the name and maybe a space station that looks like the ride building so this movie could've been named anything but you're gonna try to synergize it like you did with the Tomorrowland movie?
There really is no reason for a Space Mountain movie to exist when Disney owns Star Wars

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
Citadel sucked so bad that I turned it off before Amazon could play the second episode and immediately wiped it from my Continue Watching. Just devoid of even a single original idea. Talk about failing upwards.

You never know, I'll try to come to the final product with an open mind. If they shit the bed, Disney will break the bank to polish the turd. So at worse, it'll be boring and inoffensive. Disney doesn't make (interesting) bad movies anymore. Just vanilla ones.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Had to read that title a few times. Thought it was about a Cowboy Bebop overlay on Space Mountain, which would have been neat but bizarre.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
These companies are so fucking stupid with this. They only ask "have they made something like this before?" and never "have they made something good before?"

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
when you said cowboy bebop showrunners i thought you meant the anime and was like fuck yeah weird choice but fuck yeah

not the... live version...

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
Back in the day I thought that it was an absolutely ridiculous idea for them to turn one of my least favorite Disney rides into a movie...

Pirates of the Caribbean ended up doing pretty well though, so I won't immediately discount the idea of a Space Mountain film.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I feel like Disney is only moving forward with this to quarantine these two from other, more interesting IP. It's like a glue trap for hacks.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Talent always wi...oh wait, it's not needed? As always I don't know how the hell Hollywood works half the time.😆

Stibbs

Feb 8, 2023
The 518
I thought the only Star Wars Space Mountain was the old Jules Verne one in Paris, the one that's a full on Vekoma launch coaster that inverts.

Also they're making a Space Mountain movie? thats certainly a choice

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I thought the only Star Wars Space Mountain was the old Jules Verne one in Paris, the one that's a full on Vekoma launch coaster that inverts.

Also they're making a Space Mountain movie? thats certainly a choice

... shit if they base it on the original Paris version I'm in.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Oh this will work well...
1j8kxraeg8181.jpg

Haunted Mansion and Tomorrowland and Iger said, THIRD TIME A CHARM?

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I REALLY hope this turns out better than the last time Disney tried to make something Tomorrowland related into a movie.

(Namely, Tomorrowland. Which had a TON of potential (and Brad Bird is awesome) but just got up it's own asshole at the end.)

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is the start of a chain of events that will ultimately cause my favorite ride to be bulldozed.