Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They channeling old school Star Wars for this one

Jon Watts, the "guy in the chair" behind the MCU's Spider-Man trilogy, is now steering the ship for Disney+'s latest series, Star Wars: Skeleton Crew. Chatting with Collider's Steve Weintraub at CCXP Mexico City, Watts dished on how he's mixing the latest tech with some good old-fashioned movie magic for this new venture into the galaxy far, far away. Watts is having a blast blending state-of-the-art techniques like motion capture and pre-visualization with classic filmmaking tricks.

"I got to use all the cool stuff on my most recent Star Wars show. We had pre-viz, MOCAP, we shot on the volume, we did everything. But the most fun part was we also used all the old school techniques as well," he said. "We got Phil Tippett to do stop-motion. We did matte paintings, like real old-fashioned matte paintings. We got an ILM painter out of retirement to come out and do that. So to me, all that stuff is fun, but it's just another tool, and it depends on how you use it." For Watts, it's all about using the right tool for the right job.

Bringing Tippett back to Star Wars is a neat nod to the past and a cool piece of continuity for the series. A legend in stop-motion animation, he is a pioneer in early visual effects. Tippett made a significant impact with his work on the original Star Wars trilogy, especially his development of the motion control technology used for the walking movements of the AT-AT walkers in The Empire Strikes Back, and the legendary dejarik (Star Wars chess) game on the Millennium Falcon. Tippett also contributed to the creation of other iconic creatures and sequences in films, such as the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.

Just those 2 bits of new news has me even more interested

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still wondering how this show might tie into the bigger story with Thrawn and Filoni's supposed ensemble movie.
Or is this supposed to be a fun little adventure in its own corner of the galaxy that isn't going to tie into the bigger conflict.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Bringing puppetry and costumes (grogu, frog lady) back has made a big improvement in the general feel of the new shows.

Stop motion and matte could help in the same way

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sucks that the only snippet of footage is still that leak. And even from that garbage ass camcorder quality, you could tell they tried harder than your usual boiler plate Star Wars show when it came to cinematography. Hope this looks good in the same vain as Andor when more of it gets released.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Awesome! I love Phil Tippet. I just started working with stop motion a couple weeks ago and have been a huge fan for decades. I will definitely be into this.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That's pretty cool. Movies have such a big toolbox, it's a shame it doesn't get toyed with as much anymore

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am a simple man. I see the utilization of classic film vfx in modern films, I give them my money.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, how did Phil actually get a new job. He failed his old one of Dinosaur Supervisor at Jurassic Park, and they all escaped!

Jokes aside, this got me excited!!!

Cartwynd

Shinra Employee
Sep 14, 2023
Obviously cool but the marketing machine will likely make it insufferable as others are pointing out.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
They seem to be going back to Tippet for more and more stuff, which is great. I'd love it if Star Wars did even more stop motion and old school technology. The stop motion/physical stuff they do really shines, and they still pull off some incredible stuff they'd only manage with CGI.

I'm still wondering how this show might tie into the bigger story with Thrawn and Filoni's supposed ensemble movie.
Or is this supposed to be a fun little adventure in its own corner of the galaxy that isn't going to tie into the bigger conflict.

My impression was it was like Star Trek Voyager where they get lost in hyperspace somewhere else in the galaxy, either at the planet Thrawn was trapped on, that galaxy, or wherever the Chiss are from.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Why are you guys praising Phil Tippett? He was the dinosaur supervisor in Jurassic Park. I'd say he did a pretty terrible job and yet he keeps getting work. People died man.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Why are you guys praising Phil Tippett? He was the dinosaur supervisor in Jurassic Park. I'd say he did a pretty terrible job and yet he keeps getting work. People died man.
It's just a movie mate. They're actors.
On set, the dinosaurs were all well behaved.

h20A8EBD2

w

%D8%A7-%D9%85%D8%A7

The T-rex, Roberta, was even in the wrap photo.
h241D0147

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to find out from VFX making offs in a year from now, that they didn't like how those practical effects looked, and replaced them with CG anyway.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Because LF and ILM are ones to shy away from practical VFX, right?
No, because it's how it usually ends up. BR2049 is a good example, it was heavy marketed with its use of miniatures and practical FX, but only maybe like a few dozens of final shots out of several thousands actually contain miniatures in them. Rest ended up used mostly as a reference for VFX people because - believe it or not - CGI (when done right) is simply better.