• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Posted by Nagito

Oscar nominee Jasmila Žbanić (Quo vadis, Aida) and Ali Abbasi (Border) have been added as directors on The Last of Us, HBO's high-profile series adaptation of the Sony Playstation franchise from Chernobyl creator Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann.

Based on the critically acclaimed video game The Last of Us, starring Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey, the story takes place twenty years after modern civilization has been destroyed. Joel (Pascal), a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle Ellie (Ramsey), a 14-year-old girl, out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey, as they both must traverse across the U.S. and depend on each other for survival.

Kantemir Balagov is directing the pilot episode of The Last Of Us, a co-production with Sony Pictures Television. PlayStation Productions, Word Games, The Mighty Mint, and Naughty Dog produce the TV series, based on the video game developed by Naughty Dog exclusively for the PlayStation platforms.

Druckmann and Mazin write and executive produce; Carolyn Strauss also executive produces along with Naughty Dog president Evan Wells, Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan of PlayStation Productions as well as Rose Lam.
deadline.com

‘The Last Of Us’: Jasmila Žbanić & Ali Abbasi To Direct HBO Series Based On Video Game

Jasmila Žbanić and Ali Abbasi have been added as directors on The Last of Us, HBO’s series adaptation of the Sony Playstation franchise.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
I used to say "this is basically a HBO game..." when I played the first one.

It's gonna be wild to see the ND logo on a HBO show.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I looooooved Chernobyl on HBO. One of the best miniseries I've watched outside Watchmen.

The sales of TLOU and TLOU2 are gonna skyrocket after this.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
It's clear this is a dead serious go at it by HBO and Sony. Dream come true really

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Abbasi's Border is incredible. I have little interest in The Last of Us the game, but I'll watch your TV Show, HBO.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Im really excited to see how they pull this off. Would wonder if it gets big, if they do a prequel or something

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I need to see their work, quick google shows both of their recent films were award winners and a hit at festivals. Sony and HBO are really going all out with this project. Gives me a lot of faith this will turn out great.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Im really excited to see how they pull this off. Would wonder if it gets big, if they do a prequel or something

A Left Behind / American Dreams season.

tenor.gif

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Jasmila Žbani is a wild get. Quo vadis, Aida is a seriously incredible movie. Also seriously intense. Interesting to she what she will do

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
man i hope this and halo can help usher in the age of prestige video game live action adaptions.

would love to finally see a MGS series or film with legit talent behind it

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Damn, they got some great talent for this. I'm legitimately excited for the series.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Unless it's a flashback, I don't see them introducing Ellie before Sarah.
There are several ways to add that story. For one, we can just see more of Ellie and Joel's life after the 20 year time jump, and before they meet. Or it could be a flashback during the winter chapter. I am pretty sure Neil even hinted at this in an interview. And he has said in the past that he considers Left Behind to be pivotal to Ellie's story, so I am convinced we will see a version of it.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
The talent they've recruited for this series seems really good.

Welp, if this doesn't turn out great then I guess we should give up on adapting video games to film/series

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
They should have the remake game based on the show. Pedro Pascal in 4K60.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't heard of them before but they sound like great choices. They're putting in some serious work into this, I reckon this adaptation is going to at least be good.

Whichever episode(s) Jasmila Žbanić winds up directing are likely to be some of the tensest TV out there. Quo Vadis, Aida? is a legitimately stress-inducing film, even as most of the action revolves around a middle-aged woman running around and speaking to military staff. Even with the overall lack of on-screen violence, the film still fills you with enormous dread for what's going to happen and an absolute outpouring of empathy for those that remained afterward.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
And remember, Gustavo Santaolalla is also involved in the TV show project. It's gonna be wild seeing clickers in a high-productions TV show.

AIP

Oct 29, 2017
They got Jasmila directing? What a great choice, such a talented director from my little country. Haven't gotten the chance to watch Quo Vadis, Aida yet, but she did such a great job with Grbavica and Men Don't Cry.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Every time there's more news the talent they hired gets more crazy. Can't wait!

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
All this talk about talent means nothing unless the script is good. Is this based on the game story or new stuff?