Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I will take that he says that Mario Galaxy 2 is better.... but the way he lumps it implies he thinks it is also not a good mario game?

Because saying Mario Galaxy is a bad mario game is one thing, but saying the same for Galaxy 2 is borderline illegal

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
That title is triggering all sorts of things within me

But I shan't click

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you kidding me? Galaxy is magical and it's actually the only modern Mario with a true identity.

OP
OP
MouldyK

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
After watching it, I think he raises some pretty valid points.

Like he doesn't outright say it's bad, just that it swaps and drops ideas ALOT, which it does.

I mean, I liked the two titles because they always used many different ideas...but I will admit Odyssey's mostly consistent level theming and the way it was more open was better.

Also, yes. 3D World is better than both of them.

Wiifitkid

Mar 12, 2018
His video made a lot of good points but.....no. The galaxy games are my favorite Mario games. They have a sense of wonder that is even better than 64 for me.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's objectively one of the best games of all
times. Applies to both Galaxies. Switch ports PLZ Nintendo. 3D world too whilst they're at it.

Oct 27, 2017
God of War is a good game but it's not a good God of War game!
Resident Evil 4 is a good game, but it's not a good Resident Evil game!
Breath of the Wild is a good game, but it's not a good Zelda game!

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
interesting video so far

I do have a huge problem with the "the game doesn't love its own ideas" section though. one of the best parts of the Mario series in general is how many ideas it throws at you. think of Mario 3 or 3D World (or Galaxy). those games are bursting at the seams with creative ideas and they never outstay their welcome. they never beat a single idea into the ground. I was actually surprised when he said Bee Mario was used 9 times because that seems like a lot. I figured with the way he was framing that part it would have been more like 3 like with Boo Mario. that's a strength to me so him having a whole section dedicated to this complaint doesn't resonate with me at all. one of the best parts of some of the recent 3D Mario games like 3D World is that you might see an idea once for the whole game and then in the post-game section it'll come back in a more challenging fashion.

so that was something that stuck out to me considering the whole point of his video is whether or not Galaxy is a good Mario game

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The constant new ideas and then remixing them is a core foundation of Nintendo's game design and it's what sets them apart from the wannabes. Linger too much on any one concept and it gets stale. Introduce new ideas and then bring them back in a completely different context later, and you have a sweet tasty treat.

I was really feeling this distinction while playing the Last of Us, which thoroughly disappointed me. The game runs out of creativity very early on and recycles the same gameplay blocks over and over. It's clickers again, it's ladders again, it's rafts again, it's bandits again, it's clickers again, it's ladders again, it's rafts again, etc etc etc. When suddenly the game had a hunting scene with a deer, I was like... hey wow I'm invested again -- why did it take so long to switch things up? (This happens in like, the last 3 or so hours of the game)

I don't have a problem necessarily with a game sticking to its basic concepts, but the whole reason why Mario games are great is that they constantly keep you off your guard and make you learn new concepts, and then chop and screw them to throw you off guard again.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Could not disagree more. Odessey has surpassed Galaxy in every regard. It absolutely feels like it's own thing.

Nope nope nope

The filler moons in Odyssey highlight why the Galaxy games are far superior. Every moment was crafted with brilliance, every objective was engaging, full of platforming, fun and not tedious or repetitive. Odyssey sprinkles these moments few and far in between countless filler moons, many outright bad, to the point it negates any great moments by removing any sense of weight to these objectives. All moons are the same. This being the core idea of Odyssey is what hurts it's replayability and legacy. And there is no real cohesive theme to the game that's necessarily new to the series, unlike Galaxy's mechanics.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Galaxy is still the best 3D Mario ever made

Yeah it's that good

3D World doesn't even get close

Odyssey is fine but it's no Galaxy

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Galaxy as a kid but I find it extremely boring now.

The three sandbox games are all better

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"____ isn't a good ____-series game" is just about one of the dumbest game critiques ever.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ermm its likelly the best 3D Mario game and one of the top 3 best game ever.

interesting video so far

I do have a huge problem with the "the game doesn't love its own ideas" section though. one of the best parts of the Mario series in general is how many ideas it throws at you. think of Mario 3 or 3D World (or Galaxy). those games are bursting at the seams with creative ideas and they never outstay their welcome. they never beat a single idea into the ground. I was actually surprised when he said Bee Mario was used 9 times because that seems like a lot. I figured with the way he was framing that part it would have been more like 3 like with Boo Mario. that's a strength to me so him having a whole section dedicated to this complaint doesn't resonate with me at all. one of the best parts of some of the recent 3D Mario games like 3D World is that you might see an idea once for the whole game and then in the post-game section it'll come back in a more challenging fashion.

so that was something that stuck out to me considering the whole point of his video is whether or not Galaxy is a good Mario game

He also criticize the linearity, when its actually one of the main strengths of the game.

Dec 2, 2017
It is yeah good video thanks for watching please remember to like and subscribe and check out my patreon to help me create more content like this.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Mario Galaxies are the best video games labeled with "Mario". If they're not representative of true Mario games, then what's a true Mario should change.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Galaxy is a finely crafted alcoholic beverage.

Odyssey is that same beverage placed in a milk jug and diluted with water.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
The criticisms feel fair, although I completely disagree with his criteria of what makes a good course based game. Most of his arguments seem to crumble, too, if you don't agree with him on that.

I can also see why he'd want Galaxy to explore its ideas more, but I personally don't mind that. Galaxy probably could've done more with those ideas, but not exploring them fully is still the better option than using them to the point where they become mundane and boring.

I don't remember individual stages from other course based Mario games as well as I do from sandbox Mario either. It's not just Galaxy.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah that video was not so good

the one thing I can agree with him on is that Galaxy tries too hard to straddle the open feel of the previous 3D Mario games while trying to be linear and level design focused. it did have an identity crisis in that regard but really only for a few levels and it wasn't a big deal.

the rest? ehhhhhhhhhh

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Galaxy is not a good game, no. It's a masterpiece.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Nope nope nope

The filler moons in Odyssey highlight why the Galaxy games are far superior. Every moment was crafted with brilliance, every objective was engaging, full of platforming, fun and not tedious or repetitive. Odyssey sprinkles these moments few and far in between countless filler moons, many outright bad, to the point it negates any great moments by removing any sense of weight to these objectives. All moons are the same. This being the core idea of Odyssey is what hurts it's replayability and legacy. And there is no real cohesive theme to the game that's necessarily new to the series, unlike Galaxy's mechanics.

Exactly. Odyssey is so obsessed with rewarding you with the same thing over and over, for tasks both ridiculously simple and extremely challenging, makes it all go numb pretty fast. They lost the balance and the game suffers as a result. Galaxy is by far the better game.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
He kind of falls in the same trap the GameMakers Toolkit's Zelda videos sometimes do, where there's a little too much importance placed on structure, and not so much content that is populating the structure. I understand that content is harder to critique in a video like this where you pull back and discuss it as a whole, but this is kind of where Mario Galaxy's strength lies. It's does a lot, and doesn't really linger on things too much out of obligation. This makes it snappy and varied, from both a mechanic, design, and aesthetic point of view. Some of Mario Galaxy's sections basically live off its vibes and just let you relax while you do something light. The integration of the little storybook especially was one of the factors that helped sell Mario Galaxy more as a mood piece than anything else to me. It was up until that point the first 3D Mario game I liked. Galaxy 2 escalated things in more traditional ways ways, and it that just made it a whole lot less appealing to me. All the prior 3D Marios are not my thing even a little bit, so any suggestion to make anything more like Mario 64 sounds wholly off-putting.

I do agree though that the Freezeflame Galaxy should have synergised the audio the same way as the visual and mechanics did.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see some people refuse to watch the video (Why am i not surprised) That said he made plenty of great points and is on the right side of history by recognizing both Galaxy 2 & Odyssey as better games. Galaxy earns point for it's originality but it was topped as a game since.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Is Mario Tennis a good Mario game?

Is Mario Picross a good Mario game?

Is Mario _______ a good Mario game?

At this point it might be time to let that question fall by the wayside. Mario changes genre and genre-style on a game-by-game basis.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
That's a new take on an old concept. Mario has had powerups similar since the dawn of the series
I mean, sure - but then, everything in every game is a riff on something that came before, including Galaxy's gravity shenanigans. The addition of Cappy revolutionizes how Mario interacts with the environment in a pretty big way if you ask me, and it's absolutely a very clear identity for Odyssey and its sequels, if any comes.

I do enjoy both Galaxy games, for what it's worth (terrible motion controls notwithstanding).

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Kinda irritating how he goes on to build a bunch of arguments on the faulty premise of galaxy being a course clear mario, when in reality it's a bridge between that and the sandbox style of the previous two games.