• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda irritating how he goes on to build a bunch of arguments on the faulty premise of galaxy being a course clear mario, when in reality it's a bridge between that and the sandbox style of the previous two games.

Nintendo clearly considers it a course clear Mario game. The whole point of the video is that it's not good at being either. So i'ts not really a faulty premise.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
When ever I have seen this question asked, I am pretty sure it is implied to be no.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Good video. Well structured and entertaining, even if you don't agree. Must've taken a lot of effort to get that footage together, but that's editing, eh?

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
What's the deal with these super nitpicky long form retrospectives that always seem to reach the conclusion that a critically acclaimed well loved classic is bad and that everyone has been wrong all along.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're all above average games. I'll take Switch ports of all, even Sunshine.

Now you ask which loved one do I defend in a dark alley with a knife brought to a gun fight? Super MARIO Galaxy 1. It's my favorite Mario game. I played it as a late college age adult and it surpasses my rose tinted nostalgia goggles of the previous ones. And every Mario games since has been fun but failed to live up to the bar set by Super Mario Galaxy 1.

[of course that being just, like, my opinion, man]

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
What's the deal with these super nitpicky long form retrospectives that always seem to reach the conclusion that a critically acclaimed well loved classic is bad and that everyone has been wrong all along.

Because the game out in 2007, over 11 years ago, and the young Gen Z kids of today were only kids or babies when it came out. So they believe their "childhood nostalgia" for early 2000's games needs to be re-evaluated now that they're teens or adults.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The constant new ideas and then remixing them is a core foundation of Nintendo's game design and it's what sets them apart from the wannabes. Linger too much on any one concept and it gets stale. Introduce new ideas and then bring them back in a completely different context later, and you have a sweet tasty treat.

I was really feeling this distinction while playing the Last of Us, which thoroughly disappointed me. The game runs out of creativity very early on and recycles the same gameplay blocks over and over. It's clickers again, it's ladders again, it's rafts again, it's bandits again, it's clickers again, it's ladders again, it's rafts again, etc etc etc. When suddenly the game had a hunting scene with a deer, I was like... hey wow I'm invested again -- why did it take so long to switch things up? (This happens in like, the last 3 or so hours of the game)

I don't have a problem necessarily with a game sticking to its basic concepts, but the whole reason why Mario games are great is that they constantly keep you off your guard and make you learn new concepts, and then chop and screw them to throw you off guard again.
Thats what I didnt like about odyssey. It had a lot of new concepts but never really went in depth with any of them. There were a couple times they tried to build on things but the pipe/door levels were never long enough to really do something interesting,

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nintendo clearly considers it a course clear Mario game. The whole point of the video is that it's not good at being either. So i'ts not really a faulty premise.
It's not binary like that, even if nintendo says so. People take that chart way too seriously.

I understand that that's his argument, but it's not supported. He barely talks about the way it fails to be a sandbox mario, doesn't adress the way the two styles mix (whether this is done well or not), and goes on treat it as if it were exclusively a course clear mario.

Even if you agree with his conclusion the guy doesn't lay the necessary groundwork to make the arguments he's attempting to make.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
I see some people refuse to watch the video (Why am i not surprised) That said he made plenty of great points and is on the right side of history by recognizing both Galaxy 2 & Odyssey as better games. Galaxy earns point for it's originality but it was topped as a game since.

Expect Odyssey is the weakest 3d Mario.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
For me, Galaxy felt like they took they really annoying unfun abstract art sections without the fludd from sunshine, and built a game around it.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently watching the video and I feel like I want a fight. :lol

IDK, I love me some different mechanics, even if not too fleshed out to introduce even more. I get his points but saying that it's a bad course clear game is stretching it a lot.

I kinda agree that 2 is superior though. It does everything better imo.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
Super Mario Galaxy still trumps both SMG 2 and Odyssey.
Both those games were safe sequels of previous games, Galaxy 1 dared to innovate.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
You just described how i felt when i was done with 3D World. Empty.

the more i replay 3d World the more smart little bits of level design (Like in 4-5 there's an area with Galoombas where if you ground pound a Starman will pop out, and since the way to kill Galoombas in one hit is to ground pound it increase the chances you will stumble on that secret), the way mechanics interact and such that create a interesting engaging game. the more i replay Odyssey the more it boils down to "If I jump with Mario's cappy double jump can I from this dull to that spot in a slightly different way?. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
It's OK, we know it's cool to hate on "Insert Critically acclaimed Mario game" Next video: "Mario was never good"

Here I am deciding between 64, Galaxy and Odyssey for my GOAT.

Mar 17, 2018
I will take that he says that Mario Galaxy 2 is better.... but the way he lumps it implies he thinks it is also not a good mario game?

Because saying Mario Galaxy is a bad mario game is one thing, but saying the same for Galaxy 2 is borderline illegal

Nah, I will not even give this clickbait trash the time of day. I'm not even a Nintendo fanboy in the slightest bit, I think Ocarina and other games are dated as hell, but when you start treading on Mario Galaxy territory you can fuck right off. That shit in 4K is mindblowing and premium classic status forever basically.

Jesus people will just say anything now.

And Odyssey doesn't have shit on either Galaxy game. 2 is probably one of my top ten games ever made. Or maybe it's one. Who knows they both blend so well together...

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Mario Galaxy was great when I beat it when it came out but I never really had the desire to go back and replay it like other Mario games. It didn't tick the 3D explorations cravings that I grew up with Mario 64 and Sunshine. I vastly prefer Odyssey and its adventure for that reason. (and the superior controls/physics)

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
But those where the only good parts of sunshine.
Sunshine is my favorite 3D Mario game, could be because they tried to make a Banjo Kazooie game (in my opinion) and did a really good job of it. Always found the jumping clunky and the fludd fixed that for me. Also the worlds in sunshine all feel like real places, that could exist (can't say the same for galaxy or 64).

Mar 23, 2018
I'll watch the video tomorrow, but I have great memories about Galaxy.

When I first played Galaxy, I was not expecting much more other than a 3D Mario game(I played it in 2011 or so). I was wrong. It was much more than that to me and one of the very few games that truly brought me back to that justified nostalgia feeling. Keep in mind I played this one when I was 13-14 years old, so I was not a player during the 3D platformer* boom and, what's more, I didn't even play Mario 64 or Sunshine before Galaxy. It really felt like I was playing something very special, even magical. The game flowed so well, the level design, the music, the challenge, the colors... I haven't touched this game in years and I'm afraid to do it so again because I want to keep remembering it as I was feeling it back then.

What's funny is I also own Super Mario Galaxy 2, but I didn't get throught that one for more than 5-6 levels. Not because I didn't like it; I loved it. It's just that I've been keeping it as my wildcard game for whenever I want to get that feeling back. These games, even if they were platformers dressed up in Super Mario skins(which they're not) are something very special to me.

*This reminds me that I don't recall beating any 3D platformer until Galaxy... I don't remember if I liked 3D platformers at all, except one of the Rayman games and, if we count it, Sonic Heroes LOL Spyro, for example, seemed pretty lame to me when I was a child.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every way ehhhh. How're you liking that multiplayer in Galaxy being nothing more than a bit collector and tosser huh?
Multiplayer is a frustrating mess in 3D World. I'd happily take Galaxy multiplayer over 3D World multiplayer every single day of the week.

On the topic of the video, I pretty much disagree with everything he says. He makes points but they just aren't negatives for me and Galaxy is possibly my favourite Mario game ever.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like a big part of the problem is his expectations going in.

He says the levels make you think they're going to be exploration based.. I never felt that while playing it or that that was what the game was trying to convey.

And I don't see how his complaints about not knowing where a vine or a pipe is going to lead are any different... from how vines and pipes worked in the 2D games. They were the bridge between mini levels, just as they are in Galaxy.

Most of his complaints seem to revolve around returning to the same galaxies multiple times and the second and third stars not organically building on the same theme and gameplay mechanics or that they reuse parts of the same levels.

What I love about Mario Galaxy is that it's NOT a sandbox Mario game. It's focused and linear. I like that it is constantly introducing and discarding new ideas. I love that it doesn't often require you to return to the same level, and if it does, it never requires you to return more than once. I get that that might be more of a problem for completionists, but that's not how I played it.

That's my single least favorite element from Mario 64 and Sunshine, having to return to the same levels 5 or 6 times. It always felt like what it was: an acknowledgement that creating 3D levels consumed more time and resources than creating 2D levels, and they couldn't create enough content to fill an entire game with 3D levels if they were treated the same way 2D levels were in the previous games.

And that's why Mario Odyssey wasn't enough to convince me to get a Switch yet. It's a beautiful game, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I do finally get it, but it isn't my favorite style of 3D Mario game.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Sunshine is my favorite 3D Mario game, could be because they tried to make a Banjo Kazooie game (in my opinion) and did a really good job of it. Always found the jumping clunky and the fludd fixed that for me. Also the worlds in sunshine all feel like real places, that could exist (can't say the same for galaxy or 64).

Haha, i am the other way around, i found the fludd clunky, but i can see sunshine as a substitute for banjo kazooie.

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
small linear levels, bad hub world, shitty camera, annoying cursor on screen....yeah, worst 3d mario game by far. sorry galaxy loves.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are top ten video games. If they don't fit well with the rest of the series, it's because the rest of the series needs to catch up.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats what I didnt like about odyssey. It had a lot of new concepts but never really went in depth with any of them. There were a couple times they tried to build on things but the pipe/door levels were never long enough to really do something interesting,
Part of that, I feel like, is because of the relative non-linearity of the game. Someone might completely miss the first introduction of a platforming mechanic and run into the one after it. There are enough moons just from bullshitting around that you could miss a whole lot. The first Sphinx moon that I got was, I think, on the moon. And only later in the post-game did I realize there were Sphinxes in the other worlds.

So the game doesn't really get a chance to remix or mix & match content. Each idea gets maybe one additional reiteration and that's it.

A DLC world could address some of this because it would be primarily tailored to people who have beaten the game and are looking for a new challenge, and thus would be able to do some of what Mario 3D World was able to do in its later worlds.