• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

being asked to show up before your shift officially starts

• yay

Votes: 137 6.7%
  • nay

Votes: 1,906 93.3%

• Total voters
Mar 3, 2018
Title should be self explanatory. Some colleagues at work were discussing this matter and how if you're paid hourly then you have no obligation to show up 15 minutes before your shift, and one of them said even if you're salary and your contract says "9 to 5" then your boss can't ask you to show up at 8:45. I personally do show up earlier as i don't like rushing things, although my boss doesn't care as long as I'm not late for my start time, but totally get why people are saying this. Those 15+ minutes add up to hundreds of dollars in wages through the year if someone is being asked to come early to prep for their shift everyday or do whatever else before.

Thoughts?

Oct 27, 2017
I show up about 5 minutes before any appointment/work. I'm not showing up 15 minutes early unless you're paying me for that time.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna start paying as soon as I get there, sure. Otherwise fuck off. These fucks seem to think they're also entitled to time they're not paying you for.

Oct 25, 2017
On a personal level I get why some would like to do that
As a requirement? I hate it
They should have to pay you if you need to prep to get started before your day

Shahed

Oct 27, 2017
UK, Newcastle
Depends on how you look at it.

If it's a case of please target getting here 15 mins before in case something happens that could make you late, then fine. It's just for leeway.

If it's an expectation to deal with things at work beforehand? Nah

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
if you're an hourly employee and do this every day-- that is an hour and fifteen minutes a week of wages being stolen from you.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I usually show up with 5 minutes to spare
It was easier at my retail hell job since I walked there
I never clock in early though unless they pay me

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
"please arrive x minutes before ..." is the dumbest thing ever, just give people earlier time then

Jan 29, 2018
If your shift starts at 9 but your boss wants you there 15 minutes before your shift then your shift actually starts at 8:45 and you should be paid for that.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
i work a salaried job with a 35-minute commute each way for four 10-hour days.

I already wake up at 6 am and get home shortly before 6 p.m. - I'm showing up as my day starts and not a second earlier lmao. Hard pass at giving away my limited time.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
My old shop foreman would get mad at our new hires if they weren't in the shop 'at their station and ready to work' within five minutes of the day starting. I treat my new crew like adults. We all know what we need to be working on and we all know when to be here. It's not worth the mental energy to worry about when my people get here if they are getting their work done.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Work hours - arriving and leaving - are sacred. That being said, when I'm asked to do some more hours because there's a real necessity and I can, I always do. Same way when I need something my employer usually comes through.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I have always been the type to do that anyway, but that's just to help make sure I'm not late due to traffic or something.

But, I'm not working during those 15 minutes, not for free, anyway. I'm just...there.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not unless you're paying me for that time. That's ~5 hours a month you're not paying me for.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
Hated that shit in the Army. Show up 15min prior to nothing, because the thing doesn't start for another 30min.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
They tried this at our former place once. Luckily I'd moved from ops and rolled in 5 minutes late as a matter of principle (Often working at home till late at night). Luckily I hopefully have the skills such rolls are long gone and from my view if you act like that as a business people are going to give their minimum effort.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
They can definitely expect that from you to facilitate shift changeover or to ensure you are ready at station. But obviously if you are hourly, they have to be paying you starting at clock in/when you arrive on site.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If you are not allowed to clock in until your shift start absolutely the fuck not. That's a lot of wages being stolen if you're forced to show up for 15 unpaid minutes each day.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Arriving a little early to your shift is a good idea so you can switch with the person before you.

15 minutes is a little long for that, especially if you actually start working in those 15 minutes (unless you get to clock in during that time)

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Then you should get to clock in at the start of those 15 minutes.

Full stop.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
As long as you get to clock in and are paid, sure. Some jobs require a little bit of time for a shift handoff.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Only if the employee gets paid for showing up early to their shift. At my hourly jobs (local grocery store in my hometown and then Target), it was suggested to show up about 15 minutes early, but I think it was mostly a "safety net" to make sure you were at work on time. You couldn't clock in until 5 minutes prior to your shift start, and at least at Target, you were locked out of clocking in without a manager if you showed up I think 10 minutes late.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hourly? lol no, unless I'm allowed to record those 15 minutes as work time. And even then that situation better be the exception rather than the rule.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I would clock in for the 15 minutes then and leave 15 minutes early. They can fire me if they want.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Na.

I make sure I am prepared and give myself the time I need. If I personally need 15 minutes to get myself comfortable for a shift, I will give myself that. If I need 5, that's what will happen.

It should not be dictated unless it is paid.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be late to clock in and it won't be an issue.

Personally I show up anywhere 5 minutes early to 5 minutes late, and I always end up staying a little late too so I don't get any complaints at my job.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Please arrive 7 and a half hours* before your 30 minute shift at 16:30 starts. Thank you!

* you may or may not have to work during those 7h30

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
It's a failure of the job and scheduling.

If your job opens and they schedule you to start at 9, you can't feasibly be ready for customers right when you clock in.

I am not a big fan of my job having me log in, sign into a VPN with my twofactor authentication, and two other apps before I can "start". But I take it back by chilling between clients.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i take thirty minutes every morning after starting work just to start being productive, very glad to have a job that allows it

but i will sometimes take a little of sunday night just to take a look at what i'll be looking into the next day, but that's never been asked or expected of me, it's just a habit of mine

damn last post of the page, always sad when it happens

Last edited: