Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
GEv352Mb0AAo0vN

Inspired by The Exit 8/I'm On Observation Duty, the trailer for the next Chilla's Art game—Shinkansen 0—just dropped with the release date set for tomorrow!

View: https://youtu.be/JVSOcuek7jk?si=rgK2za7pJMfwvzvb

View: https://x.com/chillasart/status/1770406963383504956?s=46&t=baQw94_fp-RZAfupzDwonw

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2793370/Chillas_Art_Shinkansen_0___0/

for those that don't know about The Exit 8/I'm On Observation Duty they are both games that have come to represent a growing subgenre of "memory horror" games, where taking in details from the environments and spotting when something is 'off' is the major gameplay hook. sometimes it's subtle things, and sometimes it's obvious and horrific

this will be Chilla's Arts first take on the subgenre and im very much looking forward to it!

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
for those that don't know about The Exit 8/I'm On Observation Duty they are both games that have come to represent a growing subgenre of "memory horror" games, where taking in details from the environments and spotting when something is 'off' is the major gameplay hook. sometimes it's subtle things, and sometimes it's obvious and horrific

Interesting. I'm going to try out Observation Duty; it's dirt cheap and the concept sounds oddly compelling as well as potentially nerve-racking.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
for some reason that trailer really sum up the vibe everytime I travel with night train lmao

gonna try this

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Interesting. I'm going to try out Observation Duty; it's dirt cheap and the concept sounds oddly compelling and potentially nerve-racking.
prices for all these games are great, iirc The Exit 8 is about $3 or so

these games are 'simple' in a way that's fairly satisfying, where it's all on the devs creativity when it comes to the scares, and pretty rarely are there out-and-out jump scares (tho they do happen sometimes), it's more about the creepy vibes

a few bucks for a fairly replayable horror game is pretty neat

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately where did folks land with Jisatsu?

It was the first one I skipped since it seemed liked folks didn't really like it and I was wondering if maybe they had started to creatively get drained from releasing new ones so often.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
If you look at the message on the ground in the trailer at around 50 seconds it says "please turn around if there is any abnormality"

this was the main hook of The Exit 8, where you were stuck in an endless subway hall and either walked forwards or turned around if you noticed sommit "off"

you loop so many times that you get VERY familiar with the environment your stuck in, it's almost like a liminal space, or purgatory

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Ultimately where did folks land with Jisatsu?

It was the first one I skipped since it seemed liked folks didn't really like it and I was wondering if maybe they had started to creatively get drained from releasing new ones so often.
it was probably my favorite of theirs in a while

a lot of Chilla's Art games are pretty conventional, sometimes you have multiple endings but it usually guides you smoothly enough from chapter to chapter

in Jisatsu it is a lot more unguided, with a very thin narrative

but what it lacks in traditional horror game narrative it more than makes up for with lots of showing-not-telling, and a FUCKTON of religious horror iconography

also extremely good use of "censoring" bars and mosaics, mixing in with the religious iconography mixing Christianity and a Japanese household it's off putting as fuck in a good way

it's a bit short—like all their games—but man I found it to be a great change of pace

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
this game also being a not-very-traditional Chilla's Art game also has me excited

ill always love their stuff like 'Convenience Store' and 'Night Security', but i love when they do stuff that's even a little different

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
fat4all doing the lord's work 4all spotlighting these cool games no one's ever heard of

speak of the devil i think murder house is on eshop sale

Oct 26, 2017
I like the vibe but I honestly wasn't a huge fan of Exit 8. I played for about an hour but wasn't able to beat it and wasn't really having fun.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
fat4all doing the lord's work 4all spotlighting these cool games no one's ever heard of

speak of the devil i think murder house is on eshop sale
i cant tell you how happy i was to see this trailer pop up

ive been clawing at the walls for a new indie horror game the past week or so

i was so desperate i almost bought the Anniversary Update for that Slenderman game even tho that game is bad 😭

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
i cant tell you how happy i was to see this trailer pop up

ive been clawing at the walls for a new indie horror game the past week or so

i was so desperate i almost bought the Anniversary Update for that Slenderman game even tho that game is bad 😭
i didn't even know you being out of indie horror games was a thing

an editor of a certain games site (their resident 'spooky indies' expert) recommended me Paratropic, so i picked that up as part of a bundle w/something called Fatum Betula for an absurd $3 (CANADIAN). you play either of those?

Details from Steam
OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
ss_f3a2866d630a4ce88fe81c38484beec52b35128b.jpg

ss_33596895cea75a326430d818d0403288de648aa9.jpg
ss_71fcaad8c1f781da470bf586d0834aaf8ed344d1.jpg
ss_c706a1d39bd42241fc7e36bee47326033063e41a.jpg

here's the details on steam;

Shinkansen 0 | 新幹線 0号 is a Japanese horror game set on a Shinkansen (Japanese bullet train).​
Key Features:​
Anomalies: Look for anomalies to progress the game.​
NPCs: NPCs will guide the player towards either a good or bad ending.​
Immersive experience: An atmospheric, believable environment intensifies the horror experience.​
Psychological horror: The game will drive you insane.​
i do like that it will have somewhat of a narrative along with the anomaly-spotting gameplay

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
i didn't even know you being out of indie horror games was a thing

an editor of a certain games site (their resident 'spooky indies' expert) recommended me Paratropic, so i picked that up as part of a bundle w/something called Fatum Betula for an absurd $3 (CANADIAN). you play either of those?
oh yeah, ive played both, Paratropic made my top twenty pc horror game list, and Fatum was on the 2020 PS1 Haunted Demo Disc, a yearly demo collection of promising indie horror games, full game came out not too long after that

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I am prepared for the Vtuber playthroughs. Always a pleasure to watch.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Info my veins. I loved the last few CA games such as Parasocial and The Kidnap so I'm in for this. My fave so far might be Night Security or the closing shift.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Finally, a game that captures my experience for a specific 30% of my late-night train rides. Thanks for this, pupper.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Damn it. I love Chilla's Art, but memory-focused horror stresses me out way more than any other kind.

I may have to suck it up. Or be content with watching youtube videos.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I got into Chilla's Art from the thread on their previous release, Jisatsu (which was amazing imo). Love their games and super excited to see them continue to stretch their legs and play around with different ideas.
im happy you liked Jisatsu

feel like it's gonna be my pick for religious horror in gaming for a while

does so many neat, unnerving things

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
im happy you liked Jisatsu

feel like it's gonna be my pick for religious horror in gaming for a while

does so many neat, unnerving things
I was really surprised to see it has one of the more middling receptions of their releases, especially going back and replaying some of their earlier (more highly rated) games. It felt like a very clear step forward for them, idk how to describe it but it had a much more organically dreamy/nightmarish feel compared to their other games which sometimes lean into the jankiness to create an unsettling atmosphere. It felt confident, and had some genuinely great and original ideas like the use of the censor bar which was absolutely brilliant imo, and playing around more with visual tricks like the figure behind the curtain you could only see if stood at the end of the hallway. Really great sound design too, felt properly tense and dreadful.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Heck yeah, more Chilla's. These games always have such interesting vibes in the mundane and then it gets weird. Always a joy to experience.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Never played any of these, but you have my attention.
Which would be a good one to star with to see if they are for me?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to feel about the npc's looking better. The janky lo-fi models kinda added to the creepiness imo lol

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I don't know how to feel about the npc's looking better. The janky lo-fi models kinda added to the creepiness imo lol
Chilla's Art is moving slowly towards more storytelling and character drama in their horror games—one recent example being The Kidnap released last year—and with that comes more attention to character models (and voice acting)

at the very least, one of the hallmarks of this genre (like in The Exit 8) is having at least one NPC, and possible "abnormalities" happening to them in creepy ways, so im excited to see if that happens here as well, like with the sleeping man in the trailer

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I finished a play-through. Well two really, continuing from my first to get the good ending, and it was okay. It wasn't especially scary to me, but then maybe I just got unlucky with the abnormalities.

I don't feel like it's money wasted though, since I did get an hour or so out of it and I do appreciate games of this kind.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
ive gotta wait a few more hours before I can play it but im hearing that this one is less scary generally, but honestly im fine with that, most of their games have no chill when it comes to the scares and this one seems like it might be easier to recommend to people who cant handle intense horror