• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
If Mario can surf barefoot, why can't Sonic?

Mario is comfortable dipping his naked toes in the ocean, but Sonic seems to have no interest in removing his classic red-and-white sneakers before he gets on his surfboard. Now, it makes sense that Mario and his corporate parent would let the plumber's feet loose here; after all, Nintendo allowed a shirtless, shoeless, sockless Mario to prance around on a beach in Super Mario Odyssey.

Not so for Sega. Even when Sonic turned into a "werehog" in 2008's Sonic Unleashed, he didn't Hulk out of his shoes — the sneakers just became cleats. However, Sonic's feet have shown up in the Archie Comics series and in multiple cartoons, including the '90s animated series Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. (It's unclear if we'll get to see Sonic's feet in the redesigned Sonic the Hedgehog movie.)

Update: Sega has responded to Polygon's request for comment. According to veteran Sonic the Hedgehog game producer Takashi Iizuka, "Sonic doesn't take off his shoes (in canon)" — which only leads to additional questions.

mario_and_sonic_at_the_olympic_games_tokyo_2020_sonic_surfing_1920.0.jpg
Source
Free sonic toes!

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic runs so much that I imagine his feet would internally combust or disintegrate if he took off the shoes

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic doesn't take off his shoes because they're orthopedic and all that running would really fuck him up.

Nov 3, 2017
You gotta figure Sonic has a sponsorship deal with whoever provides his shoes as he must run through the tread on them in no time but it's incredible advertising for that company to have Sonic (The Hedgehog!) wear their shoes every day of the year

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to post a weird pic but I don't want that shit in my google search history.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
But the Sonic canon already contains instances of Sonic replacing his shoes, such as when he acquired Soap shoes for Sonic Adventure 2, and the winderous Custom Shoes of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). How does he replace shoes without ever removing the old ones? Are there layers upon layers of shoes, like an onion?

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the cool side of the sonic fandom someone was trying to tell me about?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, you're all a bunch of hypocrites. You act all disgusted at the possibility of seeing Sonic's feet but you don't care that the guy's been otherwise running around buck naked for years. If Sonic didn't have that miscommunication with the vet we'd see his dong flopping around at supersonic speed.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He can't take off his shoes, they're like Frosty's hat. He'll just turn back into a normal hedgehog.

Status
Not open for further replies.