• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
err, it doesn't have nothing to do with your post, I was literally addressing a point you raised. But as for your point here -- yes, the tough on crime policies were wrong, and as I noted in my edit above the author isn't really defending "tough on crime" as the necessary policy prescription for reducing violent crime (particularly because, as the author notes, locking up black men left right and center wasn't what brought down the violent crime rate anyway!). But you also can't say, the focus should have been on mental health services and rehabilitation rather than something like mandatory minimum sentencing, because nobody was drawing that cause and effect between violent crime and lead poisoning until much later. How they could prescribe treatments for a problem that they hadn't diagnosed or understood until years later?
It's not implausible at all to think that they could have caught it earlier. Sure, it's not a foregone conclusion, but that doesn't really make a difference to the central argument of my post. I talk about how empathy should be there for all the victims as well, for everyone, and how it's even more abhorrent that they decided to be tough on crime instead of focusing on mental help and rehabilitation, if some of these people were poisoned. The "this is even more justification" obviously wasn't solely referring to the "could have caught it earlier", so focusing purely on that aspect is discussing in bad faith really.

Last edited:

OmegaDragon

Oct 27, 2017
edit: also, I don't think this article is a defense of tough on crime policies at all, he criticizes the disparity in crack vs. powder cocaine laws, the explosion of prisons, and the general uselessness of it all as these policies weren't what contributed to the decline of violent crime going into the late 90s/00s.

Yes, he explains why it happened. There was a violent crime epidemic. People got (rightfully) scared and politicians responded. It made sense back then. However, being tough on crime does not make sense now. Crime rates have dropped, because there is less lead poisoning (it is still around though and that should be fixed). So we should abandon the tough on crime approach/legislation.

So that's what happened. Crime skyrocketed. People were quite naturally scared to death. Politicians responded. Plenty of mistakes were made along the way, and racial animus surely played a role in that, but the motivation was basically simple: to reduce crime and get violent criminals off the streets. It is historically ignorant to pretend that this all happened for no particular reason at all—or for purely racist reasons.

The real question now is: what are we going to do? We know what caused the crime spike, and we've fixed that. Crime is now down to 1970 levels. So when are we going to get our laws back to 1970 levels too?

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
It may have been a shitty policy, but it was shitty policy black leaders, supported by the black population, agreed with, to start with.

I can't help but feel like this is an attempt to inoculate some politicans from some bad decisions. Lots of black people were opposed to those laws at that time. People were asking for jobs and help not to have their kids do life in prison. Here

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, he explains why it happened. There was a violent crime epidemic. People got (rightfully) scared and politicians responded. It made sense back then. However, being tough on crime does not make sense now. Crime rates have dropped, because there is less lead poisoning (it is still around though and that should be fixed). So we should abandon the tough on crime approach/legislation.

Some people got rightfully scared. A lot of other people got scared, but not rightfully.

It's literally just Mother Jones stumping for Joe Biden.

She's rolling in her grave. Some people are old enough to remember when MoJo was progressive!

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet Biden is the one who cowrote it is still defending it.
It's been used as a cudgel for the past 3-4 years. It's a really dumb argument to be having instead of focusing on what policies should be now.

If you think the article is an argument for a continuation of "Tough on Crime" you haven't read the article.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's not implausible at all to think that they could have caught it earlier. Sure, it's not a foregone conclusion, but that doesn't really make a difference to the central argument of my post. I talk about how empathy should be there for all the victims as well, for everyone, and how it's even more abhorrent that they decided to be tough on crime instead of focusing on mental help and rehabilitation, if some of these people were poisoned. The "this is even more justification" obviously wasn't solely referring to the "could have caught it earlier", so focusing purely on that aspect is discussing in bad faith really.
The central argument for your post, as I understand it, is that the public response in the 80s and 90s to upticks in violent crime fueled by widespread lead poisoning should not have been with tough on crime policies but with mental health treatment services. Assuming that's right, my point (and I think the point Kirblar was making too) is that nobody knew at the time that the violent crime was caused by lead poisoning. There wasn't empathy for victims of lead poisoning because it wasn't known that that's what was happening in the first place. Why would you prescribe mental health rehabilitation services if, as far as people knew then, the problem had nothing to do with mental health? The lead link was discovered after the fact, many years later, not in the moment.

In Bernie's defense, he criticized the bill before voting for it because of the Violence Against Women Act. Also, he also said that the bill's tough on crime laws weren't the right solution.
Well it's not a line item vote.

jim-jam bongs

Oct 25, 2017
It's been used as a cudgel for the past 3-4 years. It's a really dumb argument to be having instead of focusing on what policies should be now.

If you think the article is an argument for a continuation of "Tough on Crime" you haven't read the article.

I don't think that, I think that it's a carefully timed screed which is meant to make excuses for their favourite presidential candidate. And again, Biden still thinks that the bill was great so I'm not sure we can trust his policy-making chops going forward either.

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that, I think that it's a carefully timed screed which is meant to make excuses for their favourite presidential candidate. And again, Biden still thinks that the bill was great so I'm not sure we can trust his policy-making chops going forward either.
This is the closing of the article:
The real question now is: what are we going to do? We know what caused the crime spike, and we've fixed that. Crime is now down to 1970 levels. So when are we going to get our laws back to 1970 levels too?
This is not an argument for a simple continuation of the status quo.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What with this article -- it's totally defensive of the tough on crime laws. "We can understand now" because they were so afraid at the time? What nonsense is that. People with lead poisoning, you know, were poisoned, and they punished em for it. That makes it worse, not better or more understandable. The problem lies not in the fact that they wanted to tackle the problem of crime altogether, the problem lies wholly in how they did it.

Yeah this was basically my reaction when I read this article.

✔️ Crime wave was real.
✔️ Lead-crime link is real and hard to know at the time.
❓ Tough on crime was a desperate play.

Personally, I say tough on crime was unjust then and hideously unjust to maintain now. So I figure I can sort of forgive someone for supporting it then only if they're real remorseful about how it played out and committed to undoing it.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017

If Biden still thinks the bill is great, then how does this make excuses for him, when they are clearly saying the bill is not great?

jim-jam bongs

Oct 25, 2017
This is the closing of the article:

This is not an argument for a simple continuation of the status quo.

Again, I'm not saying that it is. I'm saying it's an attempt to paint the 1994 crime bill as the right choice at the time because of a theory which is completely unprovable, and is actually pretty gross because it tries to hand-wave the actual social causes of crime and blame biological ones.

If Biden still thinks the bill is great, then how does this make excuses for him, when they are clearly saying the bill is not great?

See above.

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, I'm not saying that it is. I'm saying it's an attempt to paint the 1994 crime bill as the right choice at the time because of a theory which is completely unprovable, and is actually pretty gross because it tries to hand-wave the actual social causes of crime and blame biological ones.
Ah, there's the real objection.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Biden still stands by the bill so it's fair game to criticize him for it. Also I don't think the lives and communities that his bill destroyed are all thinking "well that's in the past now".

jim-jam bongs

Oct 25, 2017
seriously am I taking crazy pills or is someone trying to dismiss my argument because I think using biology to explain criminality is a practice which should have died in the 19th century

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of objections actually, that would be a very major one which we can discuss if you'd like.
I mean, if you can look at the link between de-leading and violent crime reductions starting ~20 years from that date in multiple countries, cities with iron pipes having lower violent crime rates than ones with lead ones, that lead poisoning causes brain damage to parts of the brain responsible for judgement and impulse control, along with many other studies and come away from this going "Nah, it's all wrong because it challenges my pet theory" I don't think there's much of a discussion to be had.

The theory is not saying that lead is the only cause of crime. It's saying that it's a massive contributor to the uptick in crime we've seen across the board, especially once leaded-gas run cars and urbanization combined to pump massive amounts of lead into the air. You will still have crime in any place. The argument is that you'll get more crime than you would normally if that place has lead pipes.

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The central argument for your post, as I understand it, is that the public response in the 80s and 90s to upticks in violent crime fueled by widespread lead poisoning should not have been with tough on crime policies but with mental health treatment services. Assuming that's right, my point (and I think the point Kirblar was making too) is that nobody knew at the time that the violent crime was caused by lead poisoning. There wasn't empathy for victims of lead poisoning because it wasn't known that that's what was happening in the first place. Why would you prescribe mental health rehabilitation services if, as far as people knew then, the problem had nothing to do with mental health? The lead link was discovered after the fact, many years later, not in the moment.
You are making a link with empathy for victims of lead poisoning specifically, where I was talking about victims of the tough on crime laws, both innocent and guilty. The addition of lead poisoning only serves to strengthen the ethical stance of a focus on rehabilitation and mental health when dealing with crime, because it further removes intent and control from even guilty criminals. Being tough on crime withpeople who are more aggressive because of lead poisoning (assuming that this is true) is worse than being tough on crime with people who are not poisoned. This, compared to looking at "tough on crime" laws without taking lead poisoning in consideration.

In the end, the entire link between "not knowing about lead poisoning" and "therefore it was pointless" is completely imaginary. See this part:

The truly horrific part of all this has nothing to do with any particular piece of legislation. The horrific part is that it was mostly pointless. As we know now, the huge crime wave was caused mostly by lead poisoning of children from car exhausts.¹ When the lead went away, so did the crime.
This quote from the article sort of reveals the intent to at least defend the legislation and/or the legislators in some way. The first claim is that the legislation was horrific because it was pointless, and then it continues on to say that "we know now" that the crime wave was caused by lead poisoning. Clearly implying that if it wasn't for the lead poisoning, that it wouldn't be as horrific, when it's the other way around. There's a clear implication here, and the implication is the other way around. So the implication is at least insincere, you can feel the bias, because if you don't have that bias, you would notice that it's reversed.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

See above.

Except it's not arguing it as the "right choice."

It's explaining to young liberals and leftists why the law was passed, beyond the usual "they just want to throw non-white people in jail."

jim-jam bongs

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you can look at the link between de-leading and violent crime reductions starting ~20 years from that date in multiple countries, cities with iron pipes having lower violent crime rates than ones with lead ones, that lead poisoning causes brain damage to parts of the brain responsible for judgement and impulse control, along with many other studies and come away from this going "Nah, it's all wrong because it challenges my pet theory" I don't think there's much of a discussion to be had.

The theory is not saying that lead is the only cause of crime. It's saying that it's a massive contributor to the uptick in crime we've seen across the board, especially once leaded-gas run cars and urbanization combined to pump massive amounts of lead into the air. You will still have crime in any place. The argument is that you'll get more crime if that place has lead pipes.

Next time you could just say "I don't understand correlation vs causation" and save yourself the trouble.

Also the idea that social causes are at the root of most crime is not my "pet theory", it's a longstanding academic belief supported by decades of studies. You know, actual studies, not crank junk science like the lead theory.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to read this, but boy the opening paragraph does not give me a lotta hope

The New York Times today has a long piece about Joe Biden and his support for crime legislation back in the '80s and '90s. It starts out like this:

Mr. Biden arrived in the Senate in 1973 having forged close ties with black constituents but also with law enforcement, and bearing the grievances of the largely white electorate in Delaware.
Wait. How could that be? Biden had close ties with law enforcement but African American leaders liked him too? If you listen only to the activists of today, who grew up in an era of low and declining crime, it hardly seems possible that both of these things could be true at once. But 50 years ago they could be. Here is Josh Marshall:

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the lead thing still a hypothesis? Not that I don't believe it, I'm just curious if there is now a consensus among the scientific community.

jim-jam bongs

Oct 25, 2017
Except it's not arguing it as the "right choice."

It's explaining to young liberals and leftists why the law was passed, beyond the usual "they just want to throw non-white people in jail."

By using an unprovable theory which excuses the brutalisation of an entire generation of young black men to show that they just really felt like they were doing the right thing.

Isn't the lead thing still a hypothesis? Not that I don't believe it, I'm just curious if there is a consensus among the scientific community.

There is not consensus, it's never been studied and it never will because it would involve poisoning people for decades to reach a conclusion.

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next time you could just say "I don't understand correlation vs causation" and save yourself the trouble.

Also the idea that social causes are at the root of most crime is not my "pet theory", it's a longstanding academic belief supported by decades of studies. You know, actual studies, not crank junk science like the lead theory.
When the correlation repeats itself over and over and over in completely different contexts and time periods, at a certain point you can draw causation when the evidence gets overwhelming. "Correlation is not causation" is a caution, not a hard rule.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I think even if there is a sort of justifiable reason for the crime bill's existence beyond just white people hating black people, it fits into a history of Joe Biden supporting or writing policies that were seemingly well-intentioned at the time but ended up having disastrous consequences over the long term. Like the Iraq War. Like the bankruptcy bill. And even more irritating than his support for things like the crime or bankruptcy bills at the time are his doubling down on them today!

His refusal to apologize or reflect on their failings may be better for him politically — certainly Hillary Clinton did not win any goodwill for acknowledging past mistakes or growing from them — but it's not exactly the quality I'm looking for in a candidate.

jim-jam bongs

Oct 25, 2017
When the correlation repeats itself over and over and over in completely different contexts and time periods, at a certain point you can draw causation when the evidence gets overwhelming. "Correlation is not causation" is a caution, not a hard rule.

You literally just explained why social causes is a more rational explanation than lead.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I think even if there is a sort of justifiable reason for the crime bill's existence beyond just white people hating black people, it fits into a history of Joe Biden supporting or writing policies that were seemingly well-intentioned at the time but ended up having disastrous consequences over the long term. Like the Iraq War. Like the bankruptcy bill. And even more irritating than his support for things like the crime or bankruptcy bills at the time are his doubling down on them today!

His refusal to apologize or reflect on their failings may be better for him politically — certainly Hillary Clinton did not win any goodwill for acknowledging past mistakes or growing from them — but it's not exactly the quality I'm looking for in a candidate.
This is a tiny bit ahistorical as the "tough on crime" became a popular policy position right after the civil rights era

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Have you considered the social issues may be the root of much crime, but lead poisoning caused a jump in crime that allowed severe tough on crime policies pass with the support of people who'd otherwise never back them? If we'd stayed at 1960 levels of crime (as we're getting close to getting back too), moderates never would've signed on to tough on crime bills, because they wouldn't have constituents throwing insane crime stats back at them.

You literally just explained why social causes is a more rational explanation than lead.

Except there's been the same increase and drop in crime, everywhere, connected to lead levels, regardless of the social issues in an area.

Not everything is because people are poor.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Or OK -

Crime Level X - The crime level that happens because of various social causes, greed, whatever. Can be increased or deceased through various policies and better or worse economic times.

Crime Level X + Y - The crime level that happens because of all of the above + lead poisoning.

In America, crime level X leads to the situation we're currently in - where even some conservatives are supporting criminal justice reform because crime is low enough there's no argument for tough on crime policies outside of Boomers who see only Fox News and local news stories.

But, also, crime level Y leads to even moderates supporting tough on crime legislation, because conservative extremists can run just on tough on crime and win, because people are (correctly) that worried about things.

The other issue, is thanks to availability of guns and other things, our crime level was already higher than Europe, so even though both Europe & the US had a crime wave during the 60's-80's, there was never quite as much of a backlash in Europe.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't think I agree with lead poisoning being the root cause of crime in inner cities. Fucking over a whole class and generations of people and packing them into the projects (out of sight out of mind) horrible school systems, and putting people in situations they should never have to be in while living in America (you're on your own, fight for your life)

We know where the crack came from.
Lead didn't force those conditions on people
Lead poisoning didn't prevent people from being able to provide for their families.
Lead didn't cause people to pump drugs to feed their families. I mean what the fuck do you let your family starve in a racist world that won't hire you? Nah you sold drugs and took care of your family.

You broke? You Rob, how else where you making money? McDonald's? While your other friends have nice things because the illegal life was the only option (despite it being a lifestyle that can end in jail or death) for survival?

Rich, powerful white politicians caused all that and people are still trapped and feeling helpless in 2019.

I'm sure lead didn't help but point the finger at the real cause. Racism embodied by those in power.

I'm not glorifying violence, or saying half the crime done was justified. But some people where forced to make choices they knew was wrong....but what do they do? Starve? Get kicked out on the street? Put yourself in their shoes, strip away your paychecks and your privledge. No ERA to ask for help or support. You had....your block and that's it.

The US government, the cities and mayor's. Fucked up bad. They didn't want to help, but you know who did (or gave of theusion they did?) The Supreme's, AZ's and Fat Cats of the world. So yeah no shit crime skyrocketed, it wasn't black people's fault though. Of course they got blamed for it and a majority of stereotypes today are birthed over problems the rich and powerful caused.

Edit: yikes, sorry for the rant

The hipotesis you bring doesn't explain why black people who lives in big cities are more easily taken to make crimes
Than in smaller cities. They both feel the same problems, but act differently in the face of the same problems.
This is a interesting idea. Lead polution may case people to act more instinctively than they would on a normal circumstance. Besides, led polution increase the number of sick people.

Anyway, this is an interesting theory. It may need more studies.

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did no such thing. The idea that it's "rational" to ignore countless studies on the topic is absolutely ridiculous. The argument is not that lead is the primary originator of crime, it's that it's a force multiplier.

I'm gonna link a thread from a few weeks ago on the topic that was able to examine this from another fresh angle - https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...ntion-actively-reduces-behavior-rates.121785/

And the takeaways/implications from this one are big, because it strongly suggests that

a) our "safe" lead levels aren't ok in the slightest
b) active intervention to lead-exposed kids results in significant positive improvements in behavior down the line

This suggests that we need to be much more aggressive in preventing and treating lead exposure than we currently are. This is actually something Castro's proposed this cycle.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wtf

I was only 9 or 10 in 1993 but I don't recall crime being so bad as to turn you racist, jeez.
I was born in 92 but I had family that lived in Manhattan in the late 80's early 90's so lemme just say this.

Fresh off the boat polish immigrants with very little money were able to afford to live in Manhattan a few blocks from Times Square.

Cities were R O U G H.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you considered the social issues may be the root of much crime, but lead poisoning caused a jump in crime that allowed severe tough on crime policies pass with the support of people who'd otherwise never back them? If we'd stayed at 1960 levels of crime (as we're getting close to getting back too), moderates never would've signed on to tough on crime bills, because they wouldn't have constituents throwing insane crime stats back at them.
Yes I'm sure 1960s """moderates""" would've suddenly done a 180 on racism because facts proved them wrong.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay while I understand the correlation between exposure to lead and crime rates, but the author doesn't make a convincing argument (and admits as much) that can explain that worldwide crime rates have been dropping since the turn of the millennia/century, and that you can't really explain that using lead levels

It also fails to really paint a point that the crime bill was a necessity/obligatory and that black people for the most part supported it. Someone else linked a counter point article exploring that line of thought.

Lastly, framing radical criminal justice/policing theory as thing black leftists discovered in the past five years is disingenuous as hell.

OmegaDragon

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but feel like this is an attempt to inoculate some politicans from some bad decisions. Lots of black people were opposed to those laws at that time. People were asking for jobs and help not to have their kids do life in prison. Here

Reading this really soured my view on the MJ article. That one seemed to suggest that the black community was onboard with the crime bill. How can you distill this:
NYT said:
This presented black lawmakers with a dilemma: Defeating the bill might pave the way for something even more draconian down the line, and lose critical prevention funding still in the bill [edit mine: most of what they wanted was gutted anyway]. Ultimately, 26 of the 38 voting members supported the legislation. But those who broke ranks did so loudly

to this?
MJ said:
The 1994 crime bill was supported by most black members of Congress, and in any case was a compromise bill with some of its most punitive measures added by Republicans

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hipotesis you bring doesn't explain why black people who lives in big cities are more easily taken to make crimes
Than in smaller cities. They both feel the same problems, but act differently in the face of the same problems.
This is a interesting idea. Lead polution may case people to act more instinctively than they would on a normal circumstance. Besides, led polution increase the number of sick people.

Anyway, this is an interesting theory. It may need more studies.

No single variable will explain crime rates because crime is an incredibly complex phenomenon.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Okay while I understand the correlation between exposure to lead and crime rates, but the author doesn't make a convincing argument (and admits as much) that can explain that worldwide crime rates have been dropping since the turn of the millennia/century, and that you can't really explain that using lead levels

It also fails to really paint a point that the crime bill was a necessity/obligatory and that black people for the most part supported it. Someone else linked a counter point article exploring that line of thought.

Lastly, framing radical criminal justice/policing theory as thing black leftists discovered in the past five years is disingenuous as hell.

The vast majority of African Americans aren't black leftists. There were radical criminal justice supporters in 1994, absolutely. They just had no political power at all. Hell, today, 60%+ of African Americans want more police in their neighborhood.

Yes I'm sure 1960s """moderates""" would've suddenly done a 180 on racism because facts proved them wrong.

I'm not talking about the racism. Why was there no restrictive crime bill passed in 1940 when the racism was even worse? There's plenty of ways for racists to go after black folks without needing to pass a wide ranging crime bill that also meant white people went to jail for dumb reasons as well.

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That goes back to the original Nevin study . Other countries that deleaded gas saw the same dropoff pattern we did starting two decades later. But it hasn't been a universal even pattern because different countries did this at different times- central America didn't fully de-lead gas until the turn of the millenium.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nixon and his advisors were the pioneers of that shit and it was most definitely rooted in racism

It was rooted in racism, but it also wouldn't have worked if there wasn't evidence on the ground. There's a reason why the same scare mongering about Baltimore & Chicago falling apart because of cities doesn't advance much beyond the hardcore 30-40% base of Republicans - because even slightly racist white people can look around and notice things seem pretty safe in most of America.