AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all! I'm AuthenticM. I am a big fan of classic Command & Conquer games, and I have been since the very first game. I do not work on this project or contribute to it in any way; I'm just a fan who wants to spread the good word about it. I will post in this thread every time there is a new release of the game. With that said...

nYJxbPr.png

What is OpenRA?

OpenRA is a crowdsourced project that recreates and modernizes the classic Command & Conquer real time strategy games. A flexible open source game engine (the OpenRA engine) provides a common platform for rebuilding and reimagining classic 2D and 2.5D RTS games (the OpenRA mods).

This means that OpenRA is not restricted by the technical limitations of the original closed-source games: it includes native support for modern operating systems and screen resolutions (including Windows 10, Mac OS X, and most Linux distros) without relying on emulation or binary hacks, and features integrated online multiplayer.

The OpenRA mods include new features and gameplay improvements that bring them into the modern era:
  • A choice between "right click" and classic "left click" control schemes
  • Overhauled sidebar interfaces for managing production
  • Support for game replays and an observer interface designed for streaming games online
  • The "fog of war" that obscures the battlefield outside your units' line of sight
  • Civilian structures that can be captured for strategic advantage
  • Units gain experience as they fight and improve when they earn new ranks

OpenRA is 100% free, and comes bundled with three distinct mods. When you run a mod for the first time the game can automatically download the original game assets, or you can use the original game disks.

You said this project is crowdsourced. Can I get involved? I want to help.

Yes you can! You should start by checking the Development Topics section of the project's Github page.

Where can I get OpenRA?

http://www.openra.net/

What operating systems are supported?

-Windows 7 or newer
-macOS 10.7 or newer
-Linux
-FreeBSD

Are there multiple builds?

Two types of build are available:
  • Stable releases are recommended for players who want to play multiplayer games online.
  • Playtests provide a preview of the latest improvements for players who want to help test and shape the future releases of OpenRA.

The games

Tiberian Dawn

DaivokJ.png

An alliance of nations fights to protect Europe and northern Africa from a mysterious terrorist organization and the valuable but toxic alien mineral, Tiberium, that is slowly spreading over the world.

The Tiberian Dawn mod focuses on fast and fluid play, taking heavy influences from modern RTS games.

Red Alert

lQiOyKL.png

In a world where Hitler was assassinated and the Third Reich never existed, the Soviet Union seeks power over all of Europe. Allied against this Evil Empire, the free world faces a Cold War turned hot.

The Red Alert mod focuses on strategy, providing a range of units and tactics to conquer the land, sea, and air.

Dune 2000

A4BzWr6.png

Three great houses fight for the precious spice melange.
He who controls the spice controls the universe!
Establish a foothold on the desert planet Arrakis, where your biggest threat is the environment.

The Dune 2000 mod currently focuses on providing an experience that is authentic to the original game.

Last edited:

less

Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea this existed. RA was one of my favorites as a teenager. Going to give this a try and see how it holds up.

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
a rebuild Red Alert? Awesome! A open source, free Red Alert? Amazing! Does it include the campaigns?

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
I tried this out a while back and had a lot of fun playing around with these classics, especially Dune 2000.

Didn't realize that these were still under active development - will check back in for sure :).

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered why these games never came to GOG. They are absolutely essential classics and made RTS what it is today. I know EA has the C&C Games on Origin, but somehow they won't put them on GOG?

And same with Dune 2 and Dune 2000 where I'm wondering why they aren't available either. Licensing perhaps?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
For whatever reason I had never played the original C&C, the only one I haven't til now. Never realized how close Red Alert was to it.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I got this after I bought the C&C pack on Origin and couldn't get anything to run on Windows 10. What a scam that pack is! Zero help through support, big ol' shrug of the shoulders and a "that suck's!".

OpenRA is the best. I've been burned out on traditional RTS' for a bit since Petroglyph dropped their 8-bit series, but this always has a place on my hard-drive. I played enough Tib Dawn and Red Alert 1 in my childhood for 5 people. Classics.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Is this single player (campaigns) or just multiplayer? Awesome if the former!

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
a rebuild Red Alert? Awesome! A open source, free Red Alert? Amazing! Does it include the campaigns?

Is this single player (campaigns) or just multiplayer? Awesome if the former!

I can confirm that the games offer their campaigns! Two things though:

1. The campaigns aren't finished yet. New campaign missions are added with every release or other release.
2. Campaign missions are remixed a bit. Same objectives and map, but enemy encounters are a little bit different, and the AI is a little smarter. Dare I say, the OpenRA versions of the campaign missions are better than the original's! Seriously: when the campaigns are complete, I won't have any reason to install the original games anymore. OpenRA will have made them obsolete.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
I can confirm that the games offer their campaigns! Two things though:

1. The campaigns aren't finished yet. New campaign missions are added with every release or other release.
2. Campaign missions are remixed a bit. Same objectives and map, but enemy encounters are a little bit different, and the AI is a little smarter. Dare I say, the OpenRA versions of the campaign missions are better than the original's! Seriously: when the campaigns are complete, I won't have any reason to install the original games anymore. OpenRA will have made them obsolete.
Thanks for the info. I love the command and conquer series - thanks for this.

jelmerjt

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh nice so it does contain missions and they're reworked a little bit too. Awesome!

Is there a way to play Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge on macOS by the way? Really want to play those games again.

Mystic Vivi

Oct 28, 2017
The CNC universe is really something. As a kid I started with Tiberian Sun and then my brother and I got The First Decade. So many battles between us.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017

The inclusion of things like veterancy can completely change the dynamics/balance of the missions though. Especially the ones without a base and limited amount of units. Some of the Counterstrike/Aftermath (I think it's from one of those?) missions available which used to be hard as shit (cause that was the mantra behind expansion or "mission packs" back in the day) can become real cakewalks that way.

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap they're also planning to add support for Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2! This is awesome, it's like the ScummVM of classic Westwood RTS games :D

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I still have my Dune 2000 disc, any tips to getting it installed on Windows 10? Would installing OpenERA help in detecting the game disc/image and installing it?

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
OpenRA would be perfect if it was possible to zoom in further. Everything looks so tiny, even with 2xScale enabled. I still prefer using the good old ddraw.dll mod, since I like to play solo.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the campaigns are completed soon! Can't wait! I'm still pissed at EA for what they have done to C&C and how they're holding C&C and Ultima hostage (other than the occasional mobile money grab). Incompetent fools.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have my Dune 2000 disc, any tips to getting it installed on Windows 10? Would installing OpenERA help in detecting the game disc/image and installing it?
Disc version is a no go almost certainly. But try Gruntwork's Dune 2000 installer. It should work on Windows 10 but then again, it might not (i have mixed results, working occasionally and sometimes not).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Disc version is a no go almost certainly. But try Gruntwork's Dune 2000 installer. It should work on Windows 10 but then again, it might not (i have mixed results, working occasionally and sometimes not).
Ill look into that thanks
I did try dling an installer once and my anti virus flagged it so i avoided it :x

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone who is interested, there is also a mod for Command & Conquer Generals, that use the entire engine to recreate C&C Tiberian Dawn.

They have done a amazing job, the campaign works with the maps done exactly like they are in the original game and all story videos are used too.

Here is the link: http://www.moddb.com/mods/command-conquer-tiberian-dawn-redux

Holy crap that looks amazing, how haven't I heard of this before? Thanks for sharing :D

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Dude THANK YOU
I finally got Dune 2K to run on my lappy and have those glorious FMVs run too.
Some graphics are still tiny like the main menu but I am psyched to replay this game now.

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tried c&c on origin and the older ones i I gave up on because it's hard to get em to work.with windows 10. I'l try these when I'm at home in a bit.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried c&c on origin and the older ones i I gave up on because it's hard to get em to work.with windows 10. I'l try these when I'm at home in a bit.
Did you try https://cncnet.org/red-alert ?
The installers there are theoretically Win10 compatible. Though admittedly i got some issues (very slow map loading, crash potential), they're more likely to work than classic installers.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I should install this. I'm having hard time making C&C Generals work on Windows 10 (especially Zero:Hour because I can't make any save games)

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a mouse on the cheap the other day, so I could play the games on my Macbook. I'll play them later this week.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Just wondering what's the status of the C&C and Red Alert campaigns? Really want to dive into this but only when the campaigns are complete.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Had no idea this existed. RA was one of my favorites as a teenager. Going to give this a try and see how it holds up.
Just so others know as well OpenRA is not a straight port.

It actually has many gameplay modifications and balance changes.

It also doesn't contain the singleplayer campaign, though it has some missions that mimick some of the singleplayer campaigns.

I think this applies for all translations of RA/TD/Dune.

There is also no ability to save games yet unfortunately, neither adjust game speed in-game, you have to do it at the start of the game.

It is still fun as fuck and I recommend this to any RTS fan.

The best part is the multiplayer support and classic gameplay. I think the gameplay adjustments in general are actually quite good also. Lots of good quality of life improvements too.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're right that it's not a straight port, and that's what I love about it. I can't speak for the multiplayer as I don't play it, but for what's there of the campaigns so far, it's better than the originals. I love everything about it. I love the little balance changes and how the campaign missions are remixed a bit. Everything feels better.

I said it earlier, but when OpenRA will have the complete campaigns for Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert, it'll be the ultimate way to play these two games. The original games will have become obsolete.