• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's the best reality game shows I had watched.

Society game doesn't quite scratch the itch.

Season 4 > Season 3 = Season 1 > Season 2

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't read the entire OP yet, is all of this subbed now? I remember reading about random idols who were on it like Sunggyu, Eunji, Jaekyung, and Jiwon so I always had a passing interest in it, plus it seemed like Liar Game

I hate Kim Gura so much he almost ruins TG to me

Oh, this shitstain is in it. Pass.

less

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell have I never heard of this until now?! I normally don't watch Korean game shows but this seems amazing. Will be watching it as soon as I can.

Oct 25, 2017
Been meaning to watch this for the longest while. After watching the first pisode this is definitly a live action version of Liar game and Kaiji. It's fun but it's definitly atleast partially scripted. Some of the plot developments are just waaay to convenient.

I hate Kim Gura so much he almost ruins TG to me

Haven't read the entire OP yet, is all of this subbed now? I remember reading about random idols who were on it like Sunggyu, Eunji, Jaekyung, and Jiwon so I always had a passing interest in it, plus it seemed like Liar Game

Oh, this shitstain is in it. Pass.

Lol what's wrong with him?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Who the fuck is Kim Gura and why does he have folks so livid? He seemed pretty cunning in ep 1 and added a nice dynamic.

isuzu

Oct 26, 2017
Gura is an MC known for being brash but he's just an asshole who mistreats everyone in every show he's in but he gets away with it because he's male and older

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
So I just watched the first episode and holy fucking shit, this was insane. I love how thrilling it is based on mind games and winning people over, not just brash tactics and outrageous behavior in most modern reality shows. Thanks OP, my girl and I are hooked.

Also I wonder if they had to get the licenses for the songs because I already heard Daft Punk and Skrillex in the first episode, with the second starting out with Tank from Cowboy Bebop, haha

MsMuerta

Nov 8, 2017
I LOVED this show.

Did they do another season after 4? I think I only got up to the 3rd season but I will surely watch the rest as soon as I can.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching this and really liking it! I think I only saw the first season. There really are some awesome twists that happen and it's just really fun to see what people come up with.

OP
OP
azeke

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
S2E6. This episode is everything.
1500x500

That episode is the greatest reality tv episode of all time and simultaneously the worst episode of The Genius (or is it the best again?).

Monopoly game is complex, features three storylines going on at the same time and none of them have anything to do with actual monopoly game. All these storylines then converge together in the ending of cosmic barrage of twists.

Monopoly game led to such intense hatred on internet on first airing it ruined the professional carrier of at least one person. Subsequent airings of the episode were re-edited to soften the brutality of the massacre.

Monopoly game was such a watershed moment -- it led to major rehauling of the show for Seasons 3 and 4.

Monopoly game is life.

Monopoly game is death.

Monopoly game is the greatest moment of The Genius is and what it should not be ever again.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished two episodes, can someone spoil me with a simple yes and no answer,
is every death match game Rock, paper, scissor streak game?

OP
OP
azeke

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
^ no, DMs gradually become more and more skill based as show goes.

if it's so successful, why did it stop with just 4 seasons? :P
Producer gone on record not wanting to do more because he feels he might not reach the heights of earlier seasons and it will taint the show if he fails viewers.

It's fun but it's definitly atleast partially scripted. Some of the plot developments are just waaay to convenient.
It's not scripted.

Also I wonder if they had to get the licenses for the songs because I already heard Daft Punk and Skrillex in the first episode, with the second starting out with Tank from Cowboy Bebop, haha
tvN is owned by CJ Entertainment -- license holder of basically all music in SK.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished episode 4 and spent that whole episode focused on how Eunji was a dead ringer for Carla Gallo.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP thank you for posting this. It sounds remarkable. I am definitely intrigued and willing to give it a shot.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I hate reality TV and I think it's categorically trash, but I watched this because the OP made it sound like something more than trash.
After seeing the first episode, I'm pretty sure this is just trash (heavily scripted/not really suspending my disbelief at all, edited like they don't respect my time, for a show with "Genius" in the title they sure do spend a lot of time beating you over the head with stuff, etc.). However, it was interesting enough that I will watch another episode and defer my judgement.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome seeing so many people discover The Genius. :)

Monopoly game is the greatest moment of The Genius is and what it should not be ever again.

It's gotta be one of the most brutal episodes of any reality/game show ever. Just from start to the finish, absolute brutality. I can't imagine what it would be like being a fan living in South Korea (posting on the internet) after seeing a show like that one. It must have been a shitstorm. I wish I spoke Korean to read about it.

OP
OP
azeke

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
I can't imagine what it would be like being a fan living in South Korea (posting on the internet) after seeing a show like that one. It must have been a shitstorm. I wish I spoke Korean to read about it.
Shitstorm ruined Yoo-young's carrier.

tvN had to do a damage control of sorts on Gura's Taxi show with Jinho, Jiwon, Sangmin and Doohee :

^ this is a preview, original subbed video was seemingly lost to time...

The best part of it -- we get to see that Sangmin actually lives in a van by the riverbank. I guess the crippling debt from his failed businesses and lost court cases was that intense.

The story has a good ending Doohee is now Jinho's business partner and they're friends, here is a video (with italian subs for some reasons) with them and Yohwan and his wife (and random Hongchul):

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
I've never enjoyed reality TV, but binged the entire run of The Genius a year or so back and loved it. Part of the appeal lies in clever reveals and entertaining personalities as reality shows do, but the games and situations are always interesting and usually require some degree of tactical thinking.

I got a hankering to watch it again a month or so back, and up through the second season I'd forgotten enough to where it's fun to watch again.

OP
OP
azeke

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Wrote profiles for some of my favourite contestants, because i felt like it.

kyungranposter2osn1.jpg

Kim Kyungran:
She's fierce, she's "pierce", Kyungran takes no bullshit from anyone. One of the older contestants, she nearly always holds court often calling out the likes of Gura and Sangmin for their shenanigans or any slights towards her. This "scary nuna" can bully people around with the best of them.

Greatest hits:

hyunminposteryus2a.jpg

Oh Hyunmin:
Unquestionably the "smartest" player The Genius ever seen. He has an extremely quick, calculative mind and ability to generate foolproof strategies within seconds. Intellectually, Hyunmin is just on completely other level. Unfortunately, he is also the youngest player The Genius ever seen and thus is just as susceptible to social dynamics of ageistic Korean society as a 19 year old boy he is.

sangmiposterenswz.jpg

Lee Sangmin:
He looks you in the eye and tells lies. He betrays and sends you to the Deathmatch but you can't help but love him. He swears not to do it ever again -- and does it again next episode.

Sangmin is a snake, Sangmin dances in anger, Sangmin is a pimp, Sagnmin is super-sayan. Sangmin lives in a van by the riverbank and fights off huge debt from his bankruptcy. Everyone loves Sangmin.

junghyunposter90s85.jpg

Yoo Junghyun:
Personal favourite of mine, the man with most wholesome and the most goofy personality. Bless Junghyun's beautiful heart.

Highlights: Kyungran stops Junghyun from dancing too sexily, Junghyun repeatedly walks on Sangmin as he desperately tries to get some alone "me" time, Junghyun running around the set to calm down, Junghyun quotes Mandela.

dryeonseungposterqnsg4.jpg

Dr. Yeongseung:
Funny hair and weird profession notwithstanding, he is the most regular guy on a show. But that's why he's so likeable. On a season with probably the strongest dominators The Genius ever seen he mounts a respectable defense and doesn't give up when he is ganged up on.

Highlights:

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1500x500

That episode is the greatest reality tv episode of all time and simultaneously the worst episode of The Genius (or is it the best again?).

Monopoly game is complex, features three storylines going on at the same time and none of them have anything to do with actual monopoly game. All these storylines then converge together in the ending of cosmic barrage of twists.

Monopoly game led to such intense hatred on internet on first airing it ruined the professional carrier of at least one person. Subsequent airings of the episode were re-edited to soften the brutality of the massacre.

Monopoly game was such a watershed moment -- it led to major rehauling of the show for Seasons 3 and 4.

Monopoly game is life.

Monopoly game is death.

And that was whom?
nvm I saw your other post

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is one of those things that's "out there" if you want to watch it?
This sort of reminds me of a British show called Taskmaster, which sort of has a similar concept but without the alliances part.

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So why are there no international adaptations of this? Like a Japanese Genius, or a German one? Is it just that difficult to pull off or would this show tank in the West?

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw the thread on the old forum, but I'll try that first episode now since I'm supposed to be studying for an exam. I don't really like game/reality shows but this could be interesting.

EDIT: Three minutes in and this is the cheesiest shit I've seen in a while. Why do Japanese/Korean shows still have this sort of presentation?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
This sort of reminds me of a British show called Taskmaster, which sort of has a similar concept but without the alliances part.

Yeah, one of the reasons I'm putting together a more general gameshow thread... is largely so I can big up Taskmaster. I'd say be wary going in if you're expecting The Genius, though, it's very different (Pure comedy, for one thing)

So why are there no international adaptations of this? Like a Japanese Genius, or a German one? Is it just that difficult to pull off or would this show tank in the West?

There's definitely people in the UK trying to float a version - that's where the 'UK fans' clip comes from, a promo campaign - but no TV company has bit just yet.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, one of the reasons I'm putting together a more general gameshow thread... is largely so I can big up Taskmaster. I'd say be wary going in if you're expecting The Genius, though, it's vary different (Pure comedy, for one thing)
So they're playing "for real" on The Genius? lol

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So they're playing "for real" on The Genius? lol
They're playing "for real" on both. Just Taskmaster's structured that playing for laughs is often (but not always!) also the best way to win. Or, to put it the other way around: The best way to win is often inherently amusing.

I have some free time this evening, perhaps I should spend some of it working on that thread...

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have no doubt it would tank in America, simply due to American networks and producers aiming for trash tv, instigating fights and wanting as much sexual innuendo as possible for the sake of pure shock value and not what the show seems to be, with cunning and intelligent deception.

Yeah I kept hearing that song in episode two and wondering if Jason Bourne was gonna show up.

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd have no doubt it would tank in America, simply due to American networks and producers aiming for trash tv, instigating fights and wanting as much sexual innuendo as possible for the sake of pure shock value and not what the show seems to be, with cunning and intelligent deception.

Yeah I kept hearing that song in episode two and wondering if Jason Bourne was gonna show up.
I wasn't even considering the US to be honest. But what about the Netherlands? They're at their 18th. season of The Mole. They love that kind of stuff.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

I want everything awesome I ever do in life to be heralded by the Extreme Ways siren.

I wasn't even considering the US to be honest. But what about the Netherlands? They're at their 18th. season of The Mole. They love that kind of stuff.

One thing that's been crossing my mind when watching Dutch Mole has been that I'm starting to warm much more to this sort of game focussing on established celebs, because I think a light layer of media training and awareness of how they look on camera - but without the feeling of them trying to make a big break, because they already have their own media identity - makes for a more palatable experience.

But that, in turn, leads to a reason why I don't think we could quite make those games work in the UK and the US, because there's a general feeling there that celebrities aren't really allowed to be seen as 'playing for themselves', everything has to be done through the conduit of 'playing for charity'. And that doesn't work with a game with the structure of The Mole or The Genius, because then weakening another player is effectively stealing from charity.

I'm not quite sure how you square that circle, because both such games do need to have the cash element as a concern for the contestants.

Possibly the way to go is to lean into the mentality behind televised poker; possibly something of the nature of 'their stake is their fee' is what makes it palatable?

I think I remember the US trying a season or two of the Mole and that didn't last.

Two civilian series (hosted by Anderson Cooper, no less!), two celeb series, a hiatus of a few years, and then one final civilian series.

I haven't seen other reality game shows from other countries but I'd bet they'd love it if those audiences enjoy more intelligent stuff like that.

Expect a big write-up and push for Dutch Mole (a few more episodes left of this year's season) and Belgian Mole (starting next month) when I put together the gameshow thread. There's a whole lot of international interest, too.

Last edited:

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
I think I remember the US trying a season or two of the Mole and that didn't last. Probably wasn't enough drunken young adults getting into bar fights. I haven't seen other reality game shows from other countries but I'd bet they'd love it if those audiences enjoy more intelligent stuff like that.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I think I remember the US trying a season or two of the Mole and that didn't last. Probably wasn't enough drunken young adults getting into bar fights. I haven't seen other reality game shows from other countries but I'd bet they'd love it if those audiences enjoy more intelligent stuff like that.

There were five, but seasons 3 and 4 were celebrity seasons. The first few seasons were hosted by Anderson Cooper.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
You guys are right, I remember now, Anderson Cooper did host and I just remember the title card being all green and night vision like.

I was trying to ponder if best case scenario, they made a US version and played it straight, who would even be viable candidates with as mclem mentioned, people with slight media training that would be considered "celebrities" but also not super rich so you wouldn't have to play for charity. Also, who would be intelligent enough to be as cunning and devious, but also charming.

The thing I like about the Genius so far, and this may be due to not knowing Korean celebrities, but I don't have any opinions beforehand, so I don't automatically recognize someone and say "oh that guy is an asshole from (media) so I know he's stupid or I hope he gets hacked right away". I'm learning about everyone as the show progresses and it's fun to see how their personalities play out with understanding the games but also manipulation of the other contestants.

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a rule similar to Godwin's that every The Genius thread on the Internet must devolve into fanfiction of who would appear in a US version.

Ken Jennings, Penn Gilette...

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a rule similar to Godwin's that every The Genius thread on the Internet must devolve into fanfiction of who would appear in a US version.

Ken Jennings, Penn Gilette...

Or indeed a UK version!

Victoria Coren Mitchell. Witty, intelligent, columnist and TV presenter - and an experienced poker player

MsMuerta

Nov 8, 2017
Monopoly Game is the one where

two contestants steal one of their fellow rival's ID card, right?
And then that said person is given a fake immunity idol.

Yeah, I can imagine the shitstorm. Too bad SK's sexism was clearly apparent in this situation and only the girl's career was affected by it

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of years ago I stopped halfway in Season 2 more or less because of how mean spirited it was. I get being compeitive and all, but the cast in the 1st season never crossed the line as hard as they did. I should watch the 3rd season so I get the chance to enjoy the 4th one after.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I was trying to ponder if best case scenario, they made a US version and played it straight, who would even be viable candidates
For an English version with mostly non-Americans, I swear HBO could make it work by getting the rights to this and Crime Scene, and having Game of Thrones cast members play games and solve mysteries (with each other as the suspects). They could run these shows nearly year-round, so people don't just get piecemeal subscriptions for a few months at a time--which is what I always do with the premium cable channels.

The cast are relevant enough to not be the usual D-listers you get on celeb game shows, there are enough of them to choose from that you just bring on whoever has a schedule opening (especially after the show ends next year), and a lot of them seem to have good off-screen rapport.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw ep 2 season 1. Kim Gura is good at being a driving player who can make the entire game appear one way while all the while stacking the game against you. I dont care if folks hate him. I like aggressive play and villains. He was needed for this. You need a mastermind thats ruthless, because when you end up in a game uncertain what to do you always know you can go to the most ruthless one there and find a player with a plan and a chance. No matter the game he makes certain he doesn't come out appearing like an underdog to the group and thats his strength. He makes them certain he has a plan and can use their own paranoia and survival instincts to his advantage by keeping calm and making certain they are nervous. They come to him and thats why he does well. He keeps them shook up and makes them easy to manipulate and use.

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Season 2

I love how they build up the rivalry between Jinho and
Yohwan
but it turns out he's
completely useless as a player

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I love this show so much. I watched every episode over a few weeks last year and man I wish they made more of them. Sangmin is one of the best reality tv characters ever.

Fighting!

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
I envied folks watching it for the first time.

It's that good, I binged everything back then.

Don't forget the greatest soundtrack in its album.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I figured out what this show reminds me of...its like the Deathnote of game shows. The whole episode is maneuvering, and plots, and alliances building to what is the expected conclusion only for a sudden swerve to happen, unexpected grins, and a quick recap of all the real hidden plots that went on in the background and true meaning behind interactions we didn't know about earlier as Bangarang plays and people walk off like bosses having maneuvered everyone.