• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Wow that was awesome. iCloud+ is so cool. Curious to see how Focus works on Mac - like can you hide/show certain apps depending on the setting. That could be incredibly useful for different window sets for different work tasks.

Tempted to try MacOs for new Safari...

guise

Jan 1, 2018
This is just awful for web design. What if a site has a fixed toolbar with useful links at the bottom? You scroll up and you can no longer interact with it.

lqQmT8p.png

Geniuses

It collapses down when you scroll down. Kinda like the current address bar but in the opposite direction.

Looks way more useful than the current position and interactions

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Then these are the same extensions anyway.
The point is, blocking extensions from other devs would be bad for them. It would only continue to serve the narrative that 3rd party apps will never be on equal footing as Apple's own apps (besides just the low level stuff).

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It collapses down when you scroll down. Kinda like the current address bar but in the opposite direction.

Looks way more useful than the current position and interactions
But the thing is that currently, when you interact with the bottom part of the screen, the "safari toolbar" automatically shows up, moving the site toolbar up. If the behaviour is the same, then if you try to tap on a site-wide toolbar, Safari will think "hey, you wanna access the adress bar right?", open up and cover the site toolbar.

Here's hoping, but Apple's current track record with Safari and mobile...

At this point we gonna have to account for a huge safe-area at the bottom so that the address bar doesn't cover critical components, and that's anything but web developer friendly.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Apple is using gendered nouns and multiple pronouns in German now… that formatting is killing me.

image0.jpg

Typing up a feedback to make this optional even though i know this wont go anywhere as it increases workload drastically for the localization teams. I will definitely bring up accessibility though, imagine being a non-native speaker or somebody else who is having a hard time with an already complex language and then seeing this… everywhere.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The point is, blocking extensions from other devs would be bad for them. It would only continue to serve the narrative that 3rd party apps will never be on equal footing as Apple's own apps (besides just the low level stuff).
Blocking what? You'll have to submit the extension to the App Store and then install it. That's what I expect

May 31, 2018
So, we are now looking at Fall for the new MBPs to be unveiled? I thought today was just too early. I can't see anything mid-summer making much more sense either.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Soooo will spatial audio work if I connect to my Denon x4700h Home Theater Dolby Atmos sound through my iPhone using Bluetooth/airplay and Apple Music? I can't even get spatial audio tracks to show up with regular EarPods. I don't have airpods yet.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Blocking what? You'll have to submit the extension to the App Store and then install it. That's what I expect
I misspoke... I meant not allowing Mozilla, for example, to be able to use extensions. It's bad enough that they are forced to use Webkit on iOS/iPadOS. So if an extension gets approved & Mozilla isn't allowed to use it, that is just more salt on the wound to how Apple treats 3rd party browsers. So here's hoping that those extensions can be used outside of Safari as well.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I misspoke... I meant not allowing Mozilla, for example, to be able to use extensions. It's bad enough that they are forced to use Webkit on iOS/iPadOS. So if an extension gets approved & Mozilla isn't allowed to use it, that is just more salt on the wound to how Apple treats 3rd party browsers. So here's hoping that those extensions can be used outside of Safari as well.
Ah. If it works like the content blockers all webkit renders should use it right?

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guys I missed this, where I can watch the full conference or a good recap?

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's cool the weather app is getting an update, but how about adding a radar screen? That's the main reason I use TWC instead.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Well, fuck me. I didn't even get past the hello screen on this beta without it seriously fucking up my device. 2021 iPad Pro 11". Doing a factory restore now and I might give it another shot later.

Basically I would try to log in from the Hello screen after updating and the screen would come up with a spinning wheel and keep flashing.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's only for AirPods Pro and Max.

Just checked. Standard Airpods (H1 and W1 chips) will support Spatial Audio through Dolby Atmos. At least Apple Music.

Apple is bringing Spatial Audio with support for Dolby Atmos to Apple Music. Dolby Atmos is a revolutionary, immersive audio experience that enables artists to mix music so the sound comes from all around and from above. By default, Apple Music will automatically play Dolby Atmos tracks on all AirPods and Beats headphones with an H1 or W1 chip, as well as the built-in speakers in the latest versions of iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Apple Music will be adding new Dolby Atmos tracks constantly and will be curating a special set of Dolby Atmos playlists to help listeners find the music they love. In addition, albums that are available in Dolby Atmos will have a badge on the detail page for easy discovery.
Apple Music announces Spatial Audio and Lossless Audio - Apple

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm Spatial Audio with head tracking for video works fine already in tvOS 15. Very nice, been waiting for this since they announced it for iOS :)

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Rumors are now pointing to "Summer". It's possible they could have another smaller, virtual event, or they could also just have a random press release.
I so hope it's summer and not september. The machines deserve their own event, maybe they'll do it with the iMac update too and go over both in a day with the updated mini as well.. but they did say everything in 2 years and we are one year into it.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I mean I'll wait and see how it feels using it, but for me the new Safari UI on iOS looks so much better than the old one. Swipe to switch tabs. No more tapping around. Beautiful

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn on gendering in german. I get the idea behind it, but if a text is looking like this afterwards, no. Just no. This looks and reads horrible. Just use the female version or something but don't massacre phrases like this.

The issue are the pronouns.

the elegant solution would just use female pronouns.
"die Benutzer:in" is much more readable and generic feminine for the pronouns would be much nicer.
Also I've never seen the colon for pronouns. Why wouldn't you just do slashes?

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Just realized as well. Adsense's mobile fixed ads are usually put at the bottom, the address bar will cover that entirely. RIP sites ad revenue lol

As well as cookie notifications, most put the buttons at the far bottom of the screen, trying to press it will bring the address bar, which will prevent tapping on the reject/accept button.

What a shitshow

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
Rumors are now pointing to "Summer". It's possible they could have another smaller, virtual event, or they could also just have a random press release.

As much as I hope we'll get a hardware release asap, a July/August event is pretty much unprecedented. And it's not something that they would do a random press release for (It's the second phase of their shift to Apple Silicon -- the high end of their mac lineup). September/October/November would be the next chances, though September is typically reserved for the new iPhone, so October it is.