dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
960x0.png

Today marks 1st anniversary of Redfall release and we have yet to hear anything about Hero Pass additional characters that were part of Bite Back Edition of the game (that is still being sold just like upgrade option for the base game). We all know that game didn't had that good of a launch and game received only 3 major updates since release and few smaller ones. Arkane said that they will look into the Offline Mode but that didn't happen either. Last update regarding Hero Pass was this from November 16th update:

We're continuing development of The Hero Pass and we're excited to share more about Redfall's new heroes and other updates later next year.

We hope you enjoy Game Update 3!

DLC Depot on Steam is still getting updates (last one 8h ago), but overall lack of communication is really bad. And that is something that Microsoft is kinda bad at for some time now. Maybe now that i posted this thread we will get some news because that is kinda tradition with the Redfall threads XD

Last edited by a moderator:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know I tend to bristle at the word "unacceptable" with regards to these kinds of things, but I think a year of no updates around the part of the game you charged for (and are still charging for), is pretty unacceptable. It's not the consumer's problem that you had to spend the next six months post-launch fixing basic issues in the game

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Got to imagine there is only a small team left on the game to deliver this content. Going to take a while, even more so if they don't want to do it half-arsed again.

Is anyone in a rush for this? Rather it be good than shat out like the main game.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
They'll probably throw out a couple of poorly balanced characters for a couple of months before shuttering the title.

Shame really, despite it's flaws I did actually enjoy the majority of my playthrough but there was just nothing there to make you want to return to the title once the credits rolled.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's a small fish in a big pond kind of thing, but in general, what are the legal implications for something like this? If years down the line it still hasn't been released. I've always wondered about that.

Specifically when the advertised DLC is positioned in a way to upsell the Deluxe/Premium editions of a game. Can the company hide behind "Terms and Conditions are subject to change" and that's that? Declaring bankruptcy/shuttering probably is probably a valid 'out' as well.

Again, I know in this case it's pretty trivial, but I've always wondered how much recourse buyers have if the day one 'advertised on the box' dlc is never, ever delivered.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I imagine the plan is they're going to just release "everything" all at once to be done with the game. Easier to do that, and then patch whatever smaller issues might come after than doing content drops for a game not seeing a lot of activity anyway.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine the plan is they're going to just release "everything" all at once to be done with the game. Easier to do that, and then patch whatever smaller issues might come after than doing content drops for a game not seeing a lot of activity anyway.

Still more communication would be appreciated.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I'd think that people would be more patient with it if they got any sort of honest information about what's going on with the product they purchased, but I'm guessing MS/Bethesda PR doesn't want Redfall trending for any reason if it's not good news.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's great. You should probably say something to the people whose money you took at some point within a year. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Marven

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Illinois
Maybe publishers shouldn't try to sell things that their developers haven't even started working on yet.
Sales departments can be the bane of developers. I deal with this at work far too often.

As for the game itself, I did buy the special edition with the dlc when it came out and got maybe halfway through? I wish they'd give some sort of update. Though I really don't want to start over with new characters whenever they come out. Bleh, what a mess from Arkane.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
For these games that seems like they either turn out to be mega flops or breakout hits (are there a lot of examples of in-betweens?).
Would publishers change how they do pre-order DLC? Like some legalese shenanigans that absolves them from releasing it if the games flops, maybe in return for some store credit at the publishers unsuccessful steam competitor.

NTMBK

May 22, 2023
Given how badly the game sold, how many DLC buyers were there? Surely it's cheaper to just issue refunds at this point.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Still more communication would be appreciated.

Yeah, that's great. You should probably say something to the people whose money you took at some point within a year. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I don't disagree. My comment isn't me saying what they're doing is ok, just I imagine internally that's probably the plan they have on the table.
Along with this

I'd think that people would be more patient with it if they got any sort of honest information about what's going on with the product they purchased, but I'm guessing MS/Bethesda PR doesn't want Redfall trending for any reason if it's not good news.

Probably don't want to draw attention to it, even if it's the people who spent actual money on the product being hurt most by the silence.

Apr 24, 2024
Redfall.......................................oh yeah, Redfall. Wow that was a year ago.Has it changed at all since release or is it on the Anthem track?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I just don't get why they didn't at least have Redfall show up during one of the Developer Directs even if it was a 5 minute section to just give a small update on whatever they've been working on instead of going radio silent. Sure, it might be a skeleton team at this point but that's better than waiting over a year and hoping that whatever's shown in the Summer showcase wows people or excites people. Hell, even a quarterly newsletter would've gone a long way.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I get the frustration, and it's not a good look, but we're also a month out from Xbox's big showcase for the year. Feels more apt to wait and see what's said there, if anything.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I just don't get why they didn't at least have Redfall show up during one of the Developer Directs even if it was a 5 minute section to just give a small update on whatever they've been working on instead of going radio silent. Sure, it might be a skeleton team at this point but that's better than waiting over a year and hoping that whatever's shown in the Summer showcase wows people or excites people. Hell, even a quarterly newsletter would've gone a long way.
Would you put one of your biggest failures in a very public showcase?

No. You put out tweets and blog posts and let the conversation turn around naturally without drawing further negative attention. If people even get a sniff of Redfall in a showcase they will laugh.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Maybe publishers shouldn't try to sell things that their developers haven't even started working on yet.

Best time to sell post launch content is generally around the game's release.

On the flip side, it also commits the devs to make that content, whether they like it or not.

So it has its benefits and drawbacks.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably drop them randomly in the next few weeks. Can't be that hard to add a few characters just to finally close the book on this disaster, no one's going to care one way or the other and I genuinely don't think MS has the capacity for a NMS/FF14 level turnaround

Jan 23, 2022
Funny enough, what the devs are doing actually works with their lack of communication because I forgot this game existed. I'm guessing that's the intent. It's very unfortunate for the buyers tho.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
The Bite Back Edition was theft by Microsoft. I'm sure digital buyers can still get refunds but I feel for people who bought it physical.

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
I'm waiting for a relaunch with more updates and DLC to play it again. I enjoyed mostly of the game after that big update.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Not paying extra for a version of a game where a company is saying they will deliver content to you is a good start. Granted I don't know if this version was extra for people.

But it seems like quite a leap of faith and with all the problem games have in the first few months anyways it just seems like another thing that might go wrong.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Not paying extra for a version of a game where a company is saying they will deliver content to you is a good start. Granted I don't know if this version was extra for people.

But it seems like quite a leap of faith and with all the problem games have in the first few months anyways it just seems like another thing that might go wrong.
It was 30 dollars extra, but obviously if you played it via Game Pass then all you were paying was the Game Pass sub and the 30 dollar upgrade. You got skins at launch and the DLC heroes later.

I bought the physical version of the deluxe edition mainly because it's an Arkane game and they're my favourite studio, so there was no world where I didn't buy it regardless of quality. But I did enjoy the game for what it is so 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's not like many people are really clamouring for this DLC, even if they did buy it, so it doesn't really matter to me whether it arrives 12 months after launch or 18 months or later. I'll still play it and the end result is the same.

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
It was 30 dollars extra, but obviously if you played it via Game Pass then all you were paying was the Game Pass sub and the 30 dollar upgrade. You got skins at launch and the DLC heroes later.

I bought the physical version of the deluxe edition mainly because it's an Arkane game and they're my favourite studio, so there was no world where I didn't buy it regardless of quality. But I did enjoy the game for what it is so 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's not like many people are really clamouring for this DLC, even if they did buy it, so it doesn't really matter to me whether it arrives 12 months after launch or 18 months or later. I'll still play it and the end result is the same.

Gotcha. I don't buy any games day one and haven't for a long time now. Even my most anticipated games are getting patches and sales shortly so the rush isn't there for me.

And I get that a lot of people might not be calling for it but paying 30 dollars for extra characters that aren't playable a year after release seems pretty gross.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Gotcha. I don't buy any games day one and haven't for a long time now. Even my most anticipated games are getting patches and sales shortly so the rush isn't there for me.

And I get that a lot of people might not be calling for it but paying 30 dollars for extra characters that aren't playable a year after release seems pretty gross.
I get that but plenty of DLC doesn't come until a year or more later though. You could buy the Starfield DLC and that's not coming until a year or so later.

Wrench

Jan 19, 2022
Huh, odd or serendipitous timing.

I just re-downloaded Redfall last night to dip back into the world. Had a hankering to revisit it and did not realize today was the 1 year Anniversary of release; until I saw this thread. Guess I just associate early May with Redfall.

I only played before the big patch last October so get to see some of the newish changes for the first time. Dozens of us!

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
I get that but plenty of DLC doesn't come until a year or more later though. You could buy the Starfield DLC and that's not coming until a year or so later.

That's true. I guess I'm just surprised at how many people are willing to fork over even more money for content they aren't going to get for a long time and in some cases wondering when/if it's even coming.

"Why'd you give that company 100 dollars instead of 70?"

Because a long time from now they say they are going to release more stuff for it! And I guess I would rather pay money now thinking I will want the content than to wait and make sure.

But no incentive for companies to change because gamers keep buying stuff like it.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
That's true. I guess I'm just surprised at how many people are willing to fork over even more money for content they aren't going to get for a long time and in some cases wondering when/if it's even coming.

Because a long time from now they say they are going to release more stuff for it! And I guess I would rather pay money now thinking I will want the content than to wait and make sure.

But no incentive for companies to change because gamers keep buying stuff like it.
I see it as paying now so I don't have to pay later 🤷🏻‍♂️

Different perspectives and that's fine.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
As I say every time Redfall comes up - they should just refund anyone who bought the edition that came with future DLC, and move on from the game. Stringing the handful of people who still care along like this for months is not acceptable, and it makes no sense to waste resources working on a dead game when I can't imagine many people bought deluxe editions to begin with.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This board regularly crushes Nintendo and PlayStation for lack of communication. Microsoft was just crushed for it with their multiplatform "announcement" that came way too late.

This qualifies, c'mon. Yes, in a court of law, they LEGALLY can say "we did communicate!" but this is not engaging with the community.

Aug 23, 2018
I mean, I was one of the dopes that bought the physical edition upgrade at launch to sit next to my Crackdown 3 steel book case, but am I supposed to be outraged right now? Their last communication was that they would share more about the heroes "later next year". I'm guessing late summer at the earliest?

Don't preorder shit

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but it is disappointing that there hasn't been a ton of communication. I dunno if Xbox PR is just trying to avoid negative PR or what, but unless there's something I'm missing, the game has long been out of any kind of spotlight. Even a negative headline would get a few random dunks from chronically online folks then fade into ether.

I'm holding out hope that the game's getting a huge rework and basically a 2.0 do-over, but I just don't see how the juice could be worth the squeeze. All that said, I still fully intend on giving this a full shot at some point.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
This board regularly crushes Nintendo and PlayStation for lack of communication. Microsoft was just crushed for it with their multiplatform "announcement" that came way too late.

This qualifies, c'mon. Yes, in a court of law, they LEGALLY can say "we did communicate!" but this is not engaging with the community.
What's the point in saying something until they have something substantive to say? Especially since if they give a release timeframe early it would probably end up changing anyway. Better to wait until it's basically done and then release it soon after announcing.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020

Yeah people paying 20 dollars for like the digital art book and soundtrack preview. lol. A fool and their money is soon parted as they say.

Some people have such bad FOMO they just have to buy the most expensive version.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Redfall 2.0 relaunch in time for October lets go.

I would unironically play it if the update is significant.

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
I see it as paying now so I don't have to pay later 🤷🏻‍♂️

Different perspectives and that's fine.

Pay extra now and hope you like the game, company doesn't go under, and you live long enough for it to be released.

But you don't have to pay later that is true guess I've always found buying DLC for a game when it is out to be a painless enough exercise that I never think man I wish I could have paid for this months earlier.

Just different ways to look at it your right.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I imagine MS is pretty ok with the world quietly forgetting about this game.

Why in the world would it be in a direct or something like that? To the 80npeople playing - yall probably snag all they have to offer soon before that support team turns into 1 dude who will sometimes restart a server or something.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Pay extra now and hope you like the game, company doesn't go under, and you live long enough for it to be released.

But you don't have to pay later that is true guess I've always found buying DLC for a game when it is out to be a painless enough exercise that I never think man I wish I could have paid for this months earlier.

Just different ways to look at it your right.
I don't preorder or buy anything unless I'm fairly sure I'm going to like it, and I've yet to regret anything (including Redfall).