Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
10 Years Ago on August 2008 the world of Yu-Gi-Oh changed forever.

latest

The starter deck 2008 introduced the first completely new mechanic for the game since it's inception. Synchro Monsters.

While the game previously experimented with new summoning methods, like Level Ups and Contact Fusions, Synchro Monsters shaked up the game by allowing low level monsters to combine into a single high level monsters simply by having a Tuner typed monster on the field.

So how did they work? From the OT

latest

For Synchro Summons you need a Tuner Monster, (Tuner is a subtype like "union" or "toon") and your regular monsters.
When you have a tuner monster and any number of non-tuner monsters on the field you can send them to the grave, then you can special summon a Synchro Monster,whose level is EXACTLY the same as the sum of the levels of the monsters you sent to the grave, from your Extra Deck into an available Extra Monster Zone.

For example: You have a level 3 tuner "Junk Synchron" and a classic level 5 "Curse of Dragon" in your field. Send them both to the grave and you get a level 8 Synchro, "Stardust Dragon"(As 3+5=8)

You could also have used a level 2 tuner, a level 4 non tuner and another level 2 non tuner for the same monster (as 2+4+2=8). But remember, only 1 Tuner per Synchro Summon

Synchro monsters will tell you if they have any other restrictions for their Synchro Summon, but most of them will just say "1 Tuner + 1 or more non Tuner Monsters" as their requirement.

The game changed forever and many iconic cards such as Stardust Dragon, Black Rose Dragon,Power-Tool Dragon, Junk Warrior and Junk Synchron made their debut

But with Synchro monsters came the main focus of this thread.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, the third anime in the franchise.

yu-gi-oh-5d-s-111.jpg

The plot was simple

In the future Pro Duel monster tournaments are played at high speeds to physically test the players and provide more excitement to audiences thus CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES!!!

The story is about Yusei Fudo, fighting his way out of the poorest and openly discriminated slum "Satelite" to take back his "Stardust Dragon" Card from his former friend Jack Atlas and to try and improve the terrible living conditions he and his friends live by putting Sattelite's name high in the pro card game tournaments

Yusei eventually finds himself involved with ancient Inca and Aztec magic. Marked by a legendary Dragon, Yusei will also have to find the other 4 marked "Signers" as they are destined to confront the evil gods trapped in the lines of Nazca, now revived as the Earthbound Immortal God Cards!

To the fandom 5D's is one of the franchises highest points, it's first 2 seasons are also considered by many (myself included) to be superior to the original YGO series.

While it's 3rd and final season had a considerable quality drop due to emergency rewrites following a VA scandal involving a japanese sex cult. 5D's still managed to land on it's feet and become a well loved entry.

And the openings were amazing!!

5D's in America suffered heavily from 4Kids's fuckery. The story was heavily altered to dance around death, romance, tragedy and revenge themes in the original airing while inserting forced humor at every scene. The worst alteration being the complete removal of the series' final arc in it's entirety. 4Kids hilariously Movie Maker'd the final villain's lair out of the sky. So yeah, avoid that version.

In this thread we celebrate 10 Years of Synchro Fuckery and Motorcycle memes!!

Also fuck VRAINS.

Last edited:

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
For me it was the best yugioh series, what scandal do you mean happened in the second half?

The 4kids version was really bad they changed the OST, it's crime.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That is really when the game woke up, the ability to get high level monsters on the field quickly was a game changer

GX tried with hero summons, but it was limited to like 2 decks

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5Ds the GOAT Yugioh series. Stardust Dragon and Shooting Star Dragon were my boys during competitive play

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Someone just tell me what happened to my boy Dark Magician. Did he manage to get stronger than Blue Eyes?

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I quit Yu-Gi-Oh (Card Game) long before then. I remember being really into it in the early 2000's and even winning the regional tournament at my local comic book shop and getting the Triangle Trophy. Back then, summoning a high level Monster was impossible without Resurrection due to the amount of 1-card-kill mechanics with no cost. (Black Hole, Raigeki, Trap Holes [and other variants] Solider Guys, Man-Eater, etc) The game was basically a 4-Star Beatdown / board clearing game where nothing lived on the field for more than 2 turns, it was fun for awhile but quickly turned shallow as that was the only viable strategy. I think the creators did a wave of massive card bans shortly after to try and fix those issues.... did it ever work? Are high level monsters actually viable these days?

Oct 25, 2017
The ost was great. Have any of the recent shows been as 'serious'? Last I checked in, stuff seems more for kids.

I've felt like vanguard anime overall is a better TCG anime, even though i never played that card game lol.

turbo duels are legit though. So cheesy fun.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
I quit Yu-Gi-Oh (Card Game) long before then. I remember being really into it in the early 2000's and even winning the regional tournament at my local comic book shop and getting the Triangle Trophy. Back then, summoning a high level Monster was impossible without Resurrection due to the amount of 1-card-kill mechanics with no cost. (Black Hole, Raigeki, Trap Holes [and other variants] Solider Guys, Man-Eater, etc) The game was basically a 4-Star Beatdown / board clearing game where nothing lived on the field for more than 2 turns, it was fun for awhile but quickly turned shallow as that was the only viable strategy. I think the creators did a wave of massive card bans shortly after to try and fix those issues.... did it ever work? Are high level monsters actually viable these days?

The ban list definitely worked. A game without Raigeki and Chaos Emperor Dragon is a much fairer game.

Yu-Gi-Oh's problem now is that it's far too easy to special summon an entire field of monsters in one turn. What was once using Flute of Summoning Dragon on Lord of D to summon 2 Blue Eyes has now been replaced by monsters that can special summon themselves with little costs, that also allow you to summon more monsters.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Synchro is when ygo really came into it's own as a game, 5ds anime is incredible best overall show with the single best arc in the series.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of what the anime was like, Synchro finally changed the way high level monsters were played. Before them, the only way you got big dudes on the field was to cheat out fusions or use cards with specific Special Summon conditions. Synchro paved the way for reasons to play more small dudes, and additional consideration for doing level math to summon the very versatile Synchros. As someone who started from the Yugi/Kaiba starter decks, I think Synchro was the best new mechanic introduced.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
There was a brief time when I got back to Yu-gi-oh, and to learn that there is a new and exciting summoning method is really cool. It helps that Yusei is a more realistically competent duelist since his cards have generally good utility, with Junk Synchron and Stardust Dragon being shining examples. I admit I haven't watched the anime since the defeat of the Pegasus team, so I do not know if Yusei's cards still have good utility overall.

I loved the concept of Synchro summons because it's easy to understand, and it's also got some very powerful monsters introduced. I kind of liked Goyo Guardian but I know he's rather powerful for a his level. The only thing I didn't like when Synchro monsters were introduced is the fact that a new ruling was made to limit the Extra Deck to 15 monsters, since that hurts HEROes due to their multiple Fusions, even compared to other decks since HEROes have a lot more Fusions than other archetypes.

One thing that's not been mentioned in the 5D's thread is the existence of Speed World, which is a Field Spell that are used in Turbo Duels. Most notably, the Nintendo DS 5D's games have this feature.

Thank you for reading.

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I loved 5Ds, it renewed my interest in the card game. Synchros where totally up my alley (I was at the time only into rituals and fusions and neither at the time where fun because everyone was competitive). I found a nice little deck that allowed me to synchro to my hearts content and could compete with the meta in a synchro flamvell deck that focused on summoning Scar Red Nova Dragon and Shooting Star Dragon (I tried making an Assault Mode variant but it was way too slow).

These where some of my absolute favorite 5Ds cards

80496_200w.jpg
93908_200w.jpg
77990_200w.jpg
66672_200w.jpg

69473_200w.jpg
31904_200w.jpg
34494_200w.jpg
27532_200w.jpg

35755_200w.jpg
38575_200w.jpg
39327_200w.jpg

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
This was my favorite meta (and also around the time I stopped playing, so I'm probably biased). Plaguespreader Zombie was my shit. Crossroads of Chaos was a hell of a set.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
For me it was the best yugioh series, what scandal do you mean happened in the second half?

The 4kids version was really bad they changed the OST, it's crime.

Carly Nagisa's VA was discovered to be part of a sex cult focused on recruiting young teens

The scandal was so big the writing team decided to completely write out Carly as Jack's love interest and relegated her to an extremely minor role.

Also all references to Inca cults were removed to avoid any kind of association with the scandal. That's why Ylliaster was retconned into a time traveler group instead of the South American cult we see in seasons 1 and 2.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, disagree on almost all points lol. Card games on motorcycles did nothing for me, and synchro and all it's support really transformed the game into "did you just summon a bunch of monsters in one turn?" Pretty much exactly when I tuned out of yugioh even if I did occasionally pop onto dueling network during its heyday.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I think the amazing OST is what makes 5D's so great.

Dat first Synchro in the first episode. Dat music.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

Edit: Masaki Endoh da gawd

Last edited:

Brenal

Nov 5, 2017
What a coincidence today the effect of the new junk synchro monster was leaked as well
CT15-EN002 Junk Speeder
Level 5 WIND Warrior Synchro Effect Monster
ATK 1800
DEF 1000
Materials: 1 "Synchron" Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters
If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can Special Summon as many "Synchron" Tuners as possible with different Levels from your Deck in Defense Position. You cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck, except Synchro Monsters, the turn you activate this effect. When an attack is declared involving this card that was Synchro Summoned this turn and another monster: You can make this card's ATK become double its original ATK until the end of this turn. You can only use each effect of "Junk Speeder" once per turn.
This along with the newly imported stardust assault warrior should make summoning quasar easier than ever.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
What a coincidence today the effect of the new junk synchro monster was leaked as well
CT15-EN002 Junk Speeder
Level 5 WIND Warrior Synchro Effect Monster
ATK 1800
DEF 1000
Materials: 1 "Synchron" Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters
If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can Special Summon as many "Synchron" Tuners as possible with different Levels from your Deck in Defense Position. You cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck, except Synchro Monsters, the turn you activate this effect. When an attack is declared involving this card that was Synchro Summoned this turn and another monster: You can make this card's ATK become double its original ATK until the end of this turn. You can only use each effect of "Junk Speeder" once per turn.
This along with the newly imported stardust assault warrior should make summoning quasar easier than ever.

Holy. shit.

If not for "Only Synchro" limitation the card would be a 10/10. The mandatory need for a link really hurts Synchro spam these days

Edit:

I just remembered 5D's also gave us arguably the best expansion in the franchise
latest

Last edited:

Lenz

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is the series that really had me fall in love with Yu-Gi-Oh. Loved the series as a kid, as many my age did, but totally fell out it. By chance in high school I saw a listing for 5Ds on a site. I was literally baffled when I saw "Dueling on Motorcycles" and decided to watch for the irony.

Couldn't stop watching.

crimsonlink

Oct 29, 2017
I have never loved YGO as much as I did until 5Ds came out. Finally a YGO that surpassed the original. Even the ending got me to shed a tear cause the show ended.

And then...... we got fucking Zexal and Arc V and then YGO went to the trash can. Digimon and YGO actively hurt me nowadays each time I look at their new shows.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Synchros are ok, everything else they added is OP garbage

TBH No mechanic, not even Link started as strong as Synchro did.

The first 6 Synchros in Duelist Genesis: Stardust Dragon, Red Dragon, Archfiend Colossal Fighter, Magical Android, Tough Ruler Archfiend, etc. were instantly top tier cards. They outclassed everything before them.

Stardust Dragon literally marked a before and after for the game. The mighty Raigeki or Dark Hole were jokes in front of a Stardust.

First Xyz like Leviathan Dragon or Grenosaurus or fitst Links like Decode Talker and Honeybot never had as big of an impact as the first 6 Synchros. Hell Pendulums started out as almost unplayable compared to other strategies

The only exception I can think of is Firewall Dragon. And that's debatable.

Someone just tell me what happened to my boy Dark Magician. Did he manage to get stronger than Blue Eyes?

Both DM and Blue-Eyes were updated with newer mechanics

Blue-Eyes Decks focus on Synchro Summon

While Dark Magician uses Fusions and Xyz

Sorry to say Blue-Eyes is the slightly better Deck

Last edited:

Saudade

Oct 26, 2017
I like your style OP, OP2 and OP5 are my favs too (especially 5, it's one of my favorite J-Rock songs period, Masaaki Endoh da gawd).
5DS was the only series I followed each week as it came out, and I remember liking the first 2 seasons as well. I only wish they had the balls to go full seinen with it cause holy shit it touched on some heavy themes. Kiryu in particular is a character straight outta a seinen show, too bad he doesn't stick around as often (love his Infernity deck).

I tuned out when they got to the time-traveling shenanigans but came back for the finale duel, that was some manly tears shit. I even made an AMV for it, but too bad it got removed now. And I jumped off the train when ZEXAL came out like everyone else did.

As for Synchros themselves, I never got to play with them much cause the physical card game was out of fashion where I was when they came out (only got a few Synchro cards on me in the end). But I did play with them on the 5DS NDS games and they were pretty damn OP. Back when Psychic decks weren't Limited I could roll out 2-3 high-level Synchros on the field in a couple turns easy as pie. Heck, one time I even got 5, including a Red Nova Dragon - good times.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching 5Ds as it aired in Japan. The second half annoys me, but it's still enjoyable.

TBH No mechanic, not even Link started as strong as Synchro did.

The first 6 Synchros in Duelist Genesis: Stardust Dragon, Red Dragon, Archfiend Colossal Fighter, Magical Android, Tough Ruler Archfiend, etc. were instantly top tier cards. They outclassed everything before them.

Stardust Dragon literally marked a before and after for the game. The mighty Raigeki or Dark Hole were jokes in front of a Stardust.

First Xyz like Leviathan Dragon or Grenosaurus or fitst Links like Decode Talker and Honeybot never had as big of an impact as the first 6 Synchros. Hell Pendulums started out as almost unplayable compared to other strategies

The only exception I can think of is Firewall Dragon. And that's debatable.

Both DM and Blue-Eyes were updated with newer mechanics

Blue-Eyes Decks focus on Synchro Summon

While Dark Magician uses Fusions and Xyz

Sorry to say Blue-Eyes is the slightly better Deck
You're forgetting about Goyo Guardian lol.

To be fair to the other mechanics, Duelist Genesis gave us the psychic engine to help bring out synchronous monsters and people just straight up put it into the already dominant DAD decks. Plus it's only competition was fusions, which was only used in Glad Beasts.

Carly Nagisa's VA was discovered to be part of a sex cult focused on recruiting young teens

The scandal was so big the writing team decided to completely write out Carly as Jack's love interest and relegated her to an extremely minor role.

Also all references to Inca cults were removed to avoid any kind of association with the scandal. That's why Ylliaster was retconned into a time traveler group instead of the South American cult we see in seasons 1 and 2.
They also changed a bunch of stuff to push Crow because Blackwings.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I like your style OP, OP2 and OP5 are my favs too (especially 5, it's one of my favorite J-Rock songs period, Masaaki Endoh da gawd).
5DS was the only series I followed each week as it came out, and I remember liking the first 2 seasons as well. I only wish they had the balls to go full seinen with it cause holy shit it touched on some heavy themes. Kiryu in particular is a character straight outta a seinen show, too bad he doesn't stick around as often (love his Infernity deck).

I tuned out when they got to the time-traveling shenanigans but came back for the finale duel, that was some manly tears shit. I even made an AMV for it, but too bad it got removed now. And I jumped off the train when ZEXAL came out like everyone else did.

As for Synchros themselves, I never got to play with them much cause the physical card game was out of fashion where I was when they came out (only got a few Synchro cards on me in the end). But I did play with them on the 5DS NDS games and they were pretty damn OP. Back when Psychic decks weren't Limited I could roll out 2-3 high-level Synchros on the field in a couple turns easy as pie. Heck, one time I even got 5, including a Red Nova Dragon - good times.

Masaki Endoh was so good. He got 2 openings and an insert song.

Sooooo goooood

Plus character Battle Themes were on point too

And then...... we got fucking Zexal and Arc V and then YGO went to the trash can. Digimon and YGO actively hurt me nowadays each time I look at their new shows.

I'd take a million ZEXALs and Arc-Vs (I still think Arc V was fine) over the mess we have right now.

Last edited:

TheOasis

Oct 28, 2017
Let's not forget one of the best character themes that the yugioh anime has produced. It's up there in my books with stuff like passionate duelist from the OG yugioh.

Generally though, the 5D's soundtrack is great.

Also, 4kids really butchered the localization of the 5d's anime though... not only did they change the stellar soundtrack but they also removed entire scenes lol, for example:
That badass scene where Kiryu wins the duel against that villain, Lotten, by using "Infernity death gunman's" monster effect which basically involves the monster shooting the guy in the head.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Let's not forget one of the best character themes that the yugioh anime has produced. It's up there in my books with stuff like passionate duelist from the OG yugioh.

Generally though, the 5D's soundtrack is great.

Also, 4kids really butchered the localization of the 5d's anime though... not only did they change the stellar soundtrack but they also removed entire scenes lol, for example:
That badass scene where Kiryu wins the duel against that villain, Lotten, by using "Infernity death gunman's" monster effect which basically involves the monster shooting the guy in the head.

I´m still not over the fact that they just edited Ark Craddle out of the sky and called it an ending

Nemo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't disagree more. Synchro bullshit was the beginning of the downfall for the TCG.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Couldn't disagree more. Synchro bullshit was the beginning of the downfall for the TCG.

Not a single Synchro card released was as bullshit as the contents of this pack

latest

Hell I´ll go as far as to say that no YGO card will ever be as bullshit as the shit in that pack. Not even the Dragon Rulers. Not even the Zoodiac.

This pack literally created the banlist.

I was out of Yugioh long before this so I honestly didn't know how synchro monsters worked until this moment.

How is the balance, meta and community in modern Yugioh?

Like any TCG 4--5 decks dominate the meta, the community is Ok, nothing too toxic. Balance is far far better now than before, but crazy shit still happens from time to time.

You can join the YGOEra community here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/yu-gi-oh-ot1-linked-together-for-a-new-era.762/

The OT by yours truly should have all the info on the current state of the game and the new mechanics and rules.

Last edited:

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I was out of Yugioh long before this so I honestly didn't know how synchro monsters worked until this moment.

How is the balance, meta and community in modern Yugioh?

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
So no one posted how it gave us the best English opening?

After watching the forced ending of the English version. I watched the original Japanese version in full. Whew what a weekend so damn good

Oct 25, 2017
5D's had such great songs, also it had KNOTLAMP, I loved KNOTLAMP.

Also

Kingcrabshipping was the best, but it also had the best of the het ships, cause RetributionShipping was pretty amazing for a concept, too bad they wrote carly out of the show of sorts.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I only watched a few episodes pretty randomly, but I liked the evil girl with the plant deck and black rose dragon from what I saw ( I assume she got friend zone/cheerleader-ized after a while, though) and she was just dueling in a normal tournament.

I didn't like the motorcycle duels mostly because of the speed spell stuff. It was in the no-man's land between sticking to the actual rules, and OG yu-gi-oh anime only rules fuckery. I watched a couple episodes of Vrains on crunchyroll and they seem to be doing the same thing. Maybe it's just me, but it just feels like deus ex machina effects masquerading as strategy. "Aha, all according to my plan. My life points are now below 1000, so I can draw two cards and activate a trap from my graveyard!" or whatever combined with fewer monster and spell zones on the field. Does Vrains have non boogie boarding duels?

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite series. Also my favorite period in the card game.

I took to synchros easier than my friends did. I honestly rarely won against them back then, and I remember buying that starter deck in the OP and using it, unchanged, to beat my friends "unbeatable" Exodia deck. Truly a turning point for me.

My friends years later when my Turbo Synchro deck was at max power after Trishula and Quasar came out:
6ff.jpg

Also let's not forget that 5D's gave us the pulse-pounding CLEAR MIND

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So no one posted how it gave us the best English opening?

After watching the forced ending of the English version. I watched the original Japanese version in full. Whew what a weekend so damn good

You watched all of it in a weekend!?

Damn

I only watched a few episodes pretty randomly, but I liked the evil girl with the plant deck and black rose dragon from what I saw ( I assume she got friend zone/cheerleader-ized after a while, though) and she was just dueling in a normal tournament.

I didn't like the motorcycle duels mostly because of the speed spell stuff. It was in the no-man's land between sticking to the actual rules, and OG yu-gi-oh anime only rules fuckery. I watched a couple episodes of Vrains on crunchyroll and they seem to be doing the same thing. Maybe it's just me, but it just feels like deus ex machina effects masquerading as strategy. "Aha, all according to my plan. My life points are now below 1000, so I can draw two cards and activate a trap from my graveyard!" or whatever combined with fewer monster and spell zones on the field. Does Vrains have non boogie boarding duels?

VRAINS is the worst YGO series ever made

And kinda,95% of the Duels are in the boards