• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got a feeling it's learned behaviour from the parents.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Got a feeling it's learned behaviour from the parents.
Of course it is, although the Pewdiepipeline also makes things more extreme. Doesn't have to be Screamy Swede McNaziFace, there are others doing the same shit and message boards, I just use the term as a generic term for Internet targeting of youth by the extreme right.

But yeah, the parents should also be arrested, or at least investigated. Maybe send child protective services in to do some research on this matter.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You'd need the player to agree to that as well.
True, but with a 12 year old, people are often more willing to do that than with adults. As a 12 year old you can affect and make it into a teachable moment. Adults.... yeah fuck em.

But yeah, of course the player must agree to it. It shouldn't be forced, that's what I meant by not making it a press event.. but in public none the less.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That ghost comment is horribly sad. It feels like the kind of silly, naive thing a child would say because they don't really understand the KKK stuff, but then surrounded by horrible racial abuse

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What are you talking about?

"Psychological treatment
is sometimes called 'psychotherapy' or 'talking
therapy
'. It involves talking about your thoughts with a professional to: better understand your own thinking and behaviour. understand and resolve your problems."

This is exactly what he needs as a young person.
Counselling only works if he's willing to change his hateful beliefs, though. He has to be willing to talk to people, like you say if people are willing to learn from forums or groups. Maybe the arrest has changed his mind, hopefully. As someone who works with talking therapy (IAPT) and counselors, I don't think I've heard of a client being taken in just for their racism but it might be possible if the kid has mental health issues or anger problems. He's likely to be referred to CONTEST by the police after the arrest to de-radicalise him. It's not just arrest and put him in jail.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Saying this boy needs mental health treatment based on just his racism is an insult to actual mental health patients.

Fuck all that.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
I don't follow your logic. This is obviously a troubled child who needs to speak to a professional to determine where this hatred is coming from maybe it goes nowhere but the effort should still be made. This isn't a debate on whether racism is mental illness or not. We aren't talking about solving racism with psychiatry we are talking about professionals helping a child. You sound very cold and dug in I expect he will have plenty of professionals willing to speak with him if people like you refuse to.
Don't be an ass by insinuating that I am being disingenuous in my suggestions. The useful suggestion is to have him speak to a psychologist. The fact that YOU think it's useless does not make it useless. This is the only time I will respond to you. People that come at me with this kind of rhetoric about "moral high ground" get ignored.

Why are you being so aggressive?
First you tell people not to act like "ass", but then you answer like this?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Why are you being so aggressive?
First you tell people not to act like "ass", but then you answer like this?

There is no aggression in anything I've posted. Saying "no shit" to something that is as painfully obvious as " Counselling only works if he's willing to change his hateful beliefs, though." is a reasonable response. I'm not going to be patronized.

The person I called an ass was insinuating that i was virtue signalling by accusing me of purposely trying to take a moral high ground. That I will not engage with and is the most toxic way to have discussions online. It accuses me of arguing in bad faith and that I don't believe what I am saying and I am just taking said position to have a fight online. I truly believe a young child who is a bully, says hateful things or does violent things should receive counselling.

Some have taken this into a discussion of "racism has nothing to do with mental health" and that is not the discussion I'm having. I see a troubled toxic child who probably needs help. Maybe something is going on at home, maybe he is bullied at school or maybe none of that and he has no conscience and is lost forever but that is why you council a child, to discover those things.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
User banned (1 week): Hostility, inflammatory community generalizations. Previous infractions for similar behaviour.
imagine spending the past month saying ACAB and then cheering on the arrest of a 12 year old and saying he should go to prison. This is a deeply sick forum.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
imagine spending the past month saying ACAB and then cheering on the arrest of a 12 year old and saying he should go to prison. This is a deeply sick forum.
Being arrested doesn't mean automatic jail time. I checked the whole thread and not a single person has suggested he should go to prison so this is a strawman argument. Not to mention the Era hivemind accusation.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Being arrested doesn't mean going to prison. Most of us mean it as a way to teach the 12 year old that words have consequences and that he can't go around threatening people. On top of that I do believe the parents should at the least get child protective services involved. Most people would be okay with a public apology to the player, if the player is willing. Not for a 12 year old to go to jail.

Jul 18, 2018
I remember these type of jokes being passed around when I was his age and younger. It's basically kids who know these things are hurtful and mean spirited. But they also don't grasp the concept that it isn't just in past history but it still affects people till this day. On top of that, they think since they are kids, they can get around saying stupid shit and face no responsibility because they aren't adults. This is a wake up call for the kid.

And no, not everything is learned from parents. Lots from school, because hell kids those days just think they can get away with being offensive. Racial stuff is easy to spew because it's all about me vs you.

But I do agree that the more people/kids become held accountable, via fine to parents or have to give direct apology, the less this may happen. End of day, they think they are anonymous, but if held accountable they would hesitate. At least the ones that aren't of pure hate

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Being arrested doesn't mean automatic jail time. I checked the whole thread and not a single person has suggested he should go to prison so this is a strawman argument. Not to mention the Era hivemind accusation.
Nice parenting. A few years in juvenile hall with community service might straighten him out. But those parents suck.
The cherry on top would be to charge him as an adult. Black kids ain't given the privilege white kids are. Equality is equality, whether all of us being allowed to coexist for the better or for the worse (and inequality, as we exist in right now, means the whites have it better than the non-whites). I don't think a lot of white folk KNOW exactly what non-white folk deal with. Maybe they need a crash course in it!

Just sayin', maybe it's time for the least marginalized of America to pay its fair share, the "fair share" we've been paying without a choice.
Found at least two posts advocating for time spent in Juvy or for the child to be charged as an adult. A solid rule of thumb is that you should probably know the name of the person who you want arrested and that we have five pages of discussion talking about how awful "this boy" is and how terrible "his parents" probably are shows me how punitive and vindictive this forum is when it thinks it finds a moral dilemma that it has the upper hand in. When Era agrees on something, it is never rehabilitative, it is always punitive and you see the end result here when users get banned for suggesting that maybe 12 year olds shouldn't get arrested while posters who advocate for children to be tried as adults or for children to be sent to prison camps remain unquestioned.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Found at least two posts advocating for time spent in Juvy or for the child to be charged as an adult. A solid rule of thumb is that you should probably know the name of the person who you want arrested and that we have five pages of discussion talking about how awful "this boy" is and how terrible "his parents" probably are shows me how punitive and vindictive this forum is when it thinks it finds a moral dilemma that it has the upper hand in. When Era agrees on something, it is never rehabilitative, it is always punitive and you see the end result here when users get banned for suggesting that maybe 12 year olds shouldn't get arrested while posters who advocate for children to be tried as adults or for children to be sent to prison camps remain unquestioned.

I'm not going to speak to the moderation as I haven't watched trends but there is no question that there is an aversion to rehabilitative measures by some. Even from a discoverability standpoint to in essence "get to the bottom" of where this child might be getting this hatred from. We can all infer any number of sources but it's always helpful to at least investigate the child's mind. I think some actually in this day and age see rehabilitation as a bad word that absolves the perpetrator, which is a shockingly old way of thinking. I could maybe understand where they are coming from if this was an adult and even more so if there was a history but this is a child. I think in general though the notion that to support understanding the child means you don't care about the victim is very silly. The victims of hate suffer extreme mental anguish and should also of course get whatever help they need.

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going off the BBC article. Says he has been arrested. Can't you question the kid without giving him a criminal record? Given the context - a 12 year old ranting after a football match - i'm pretty sure the police can quickly come to the conclusion that Zaha won't be in any danger from the kid.
So could a mod tell me why these posts by a black era member regarding the role of punitive justice in the case of a 12 years old racist child are considered "dismissing concerns and effects of racism"?

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
As a minority who has faced racism multiple times, I don't know if arresting a kid is the right approach. I'd prefer some heavy bootcamp that thoroughly educates this kid on the history of racism, racist actions, supremacy, etc, AND HAVE HIS PARENTS INCLUDED. This is clearly learned behavior. I don't know what jail time accomplishes.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the arrest shakes him the fuck up enough to change completely. Still time at 12.

Nasty kid though, wonder what his folks are like.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
There should be some consequences for their actions, just not arrest or jail (It just said in custody, so who knows). At the very least, they're still young and can be deprogrammed from this line of thinking with the right help. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if his parents were racists, proud or lowkey. That seems to be where a lot of racism in kids starts and is sure infect their way of thinking.