• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This seems to happen to a lot of shows that get dumped all at once onto services like Hulu/Netflix/Amazon. First season generates tons of buzz, people demand another season and then you barely hear a peep when season 2 hits. Everyone loved Dead To Me and talked about it last year and I haven't heard much of anything about season 2.

There are a lot of shows that you dont hear that much about here that are popular enough to get renewals. Dead to Me has been one of the Top daily watched shows on Netfllix since its release.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A school shooter/rapist what? Never watched this show but kinda wanna know the story behind this.
The crux of 13 Reasons Why is exploring morbid themes that are relevant to high school. Season 1 focused on suicide and the topics that could be attached to it, including rape.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As fucked up as this might sound it went down hill when they didn't have the kid do the school shooting.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Netflix gave this 4 seasons!?! But they cut their two best shows in American Vandal and MST3K?

Season 1 was interesting but dark. I thought it did a good job wrapping up the story. But after that I really didn't want to watch another season of school shootings with teenage suicide and rape.

How were you fine with the premise of a rapist redeeming himself?

They really did this? Do you mean the guy from the first season? (forgot his name). WTF

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Netflix gave this 4 seasons!?! But they cut their two best shows in American Vandal and MST3K?

Season 1 was interesting but dark. I thought it did a good job wrapping up the story. But after that I really didn't want to watch another season of school shootings with teenage suicide and rape.

I don't think the youths are that into stuff like MST. I blame American Vandal cancellation on the advertising. hehe I do think stuff has a better chance of "going viral" now with the introduction of their Top 10 and Coming Soon lists.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
They really did this? Do you mean the guy from the first season? (forgot his name). WTF

They gave Bryce a redemption arc yes. The show made it very clear though that he was still a piece of shit. I feel like a lot of people who watched the show seemed to ignore that aspect.

I mean he didn't though. Bryce was still a piece of shit at the end of that season no matter how much he tried to pretend like he wasn't. I thought they made that pretty clear.

Nice to see i am not the only person who thought this.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
They gave Bryce a redemption arc yes. The show made it very clear though that he was still a piece of shit. I feel like a lot of people who watched the show seemed to ignore that aspect.

and it's also a fun murder mystery, with everyone's secret friend who's been around from the start... in secret!

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Nice to see i am not the only person who thought this.
Agreed.

I thought Tyler, Jessica and Justin were the strongest parts of S3.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
Season 1 was good, albeit really problematic in numerous sensitive themes it explored. The second season was mediocre, but I was down for another season.

I couldn't get past the first episode of season 3 without falling asleep. Haven't really heard much good about it all, but I might come back to it if the final season makes it worthwhile to finish the series.

Maybe my perception's wrong, but I'm surprised to see a season 3 at all, because it seemed to me like literally no one on Earth cared about season 2.

Season 1 was a phenemon, everyone talked about it, it's so important, suicide awareness, etc. Then season 2 happened and I never heard a peep.

Wait what? This is season 4? 3 already happened? Wow, point proven I guess.
This seems to happen to a lot of shows that get dumped all at once onto services like Hulu/Netflix/Amazon. First season generates tons of buzz, people demand another season and then you barely hear a peep when season 2 hits. Everyone loved Dead To Me and talked about it last year and I haven't heard much of anything about season 2.

This is precisely why I hate dump format releases and resent Netflix for proliferating it.

Shows don't get to breathe, communities don't really get to form and share their concurrent experiences anymore, it's all just disjointed and difficult to track.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I watched S3 of this for no particularly good reason, but man, I can't for the life of me remember much of anything about it other than Ani annoying me to no ends.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Fourth season? Cast has to be approaching 30 years old. Eg, par for the course in Hollywood high school casting.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Bryce Walker
I mean he didn't though. Bryce was still a piece of shit at the end of that season no matter how much he tried to pretend like he wasn't. I thought they made that pretty clear.
"I mean" yes, they tried to push the narrative that he felt remorseful for his actions and tried to redeem himself. Listening to tapes, apologizing to Mrs. Baker, to Jessica, trying to stick up for Tyler, confronting Monty, etc. If that wasn't clear then I don't know what it was.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
This show has been trash since Season 1 and yet I'm still gonna watch it...
why-do-i-do-this-to-myself.gif

I guess I just gotta know how this mess ends.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
First of all it was the viewer who believed he was still a piece of shit, regardless of whatever the show was trying to portray. Secondly, what the fuck were they trying to prove by giving Bryce a redemption arc in the first place? How does that add to the show? How is that good storytelling? We don't need to see the rapist go through an attempt of redemption to know he'd always be a piece of shit anyway

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
First of all it was the viewer who believed he was still a piece of shit, regardless of whatever the show was trying to portray.
I don't know about that. Isn't the point of season 3 that he was irredeemable, and that's why he was killed? His final (living) scene was basically what it came down to, and how he's still a monster regardless of everything that happened.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
God this show was a horrid mess on so many levels. I watched S1 and S2 and was just disgusted by it in so many ways. Just seems to have somehow gotten even worse in S3, can't imagine how they'll try to end it.

agreed. The last season was a hot mess. I generally liked the show from season one but I really couldn't get behind the last season

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about that. Isn't the point of season 3 that he was irredeemable, and that's why he was killed? His final (living) scene was basically what it came down to, and how he's still a monster regardless of everything that happened.
Then why did they spend the entire season showing that he was regretting his actions?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Then why did they spend the entire season showing that he was regretting his actions?
I think the point was to deconstruct the character. They did the same for Hannah Baker in S2. S1 presented everything from her perspective, and it made her seem like an angel. S2 was deconstructing the character, showing other perspectives and how it informed who she actually was. I think what they wanted to do with S3 was do the same for Bryce, who was presented as nothing but evil in S1/S2, but have his perspective inform who he actually was.

They might have failed or succeeded at presenting a more complex character in S3, but I'm not sure their goal was to justify his actions.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
This show perfectly appeals to Netflix's biggest and broadest demographic, makes perfect sense that they would milk it.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I think the point was to deconstruct the character. They did the same for Hannah Baker in S2. S1 presented everything from her perspective, and it made her seem like an angel. S2 was deconstructing the character, showing other perspectives and how it informed who she actually was. I think what they wanted to do with S3 was do the same for Bryce, who was presented as nothing but evil in S1/S2, but have his perspective inform who he actually was.

They might have failed or succeeded at presenting a more complex character in S3, but I'm not sure their goal was to justify his actions.
Their goal wasn't to justify their actions. They weren't trying to justify a rapist being a rapist. They were trying to portray that a rapist can reflect back on the harm he caused and actually feel remorse for it, and that's the problem I have with it. Season 2 had its own issues with all of the retconning they did with Hannah and her history with other characters but that's a whole nother issue.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Their goal wasn't to justify their actions. They weren't trying to justify a rapist being a rapist. They were trying to portray that a rapist can reflect back on the harm he caused and actually feel remorse for it, and that's the problem I have with it. Season 2 had its own issues with all of the retconning they did with Hannah and her history with other characters but that's a whole nother issue.
Sure, but then wasn't the conclusion presented by the show still that, ultimately, he's a piece of shit? The season was definitely still trying to redeem parts of his character, but I think that the end goal was still showing that he was a monster. Showing that, despite it all, he was still the person who caused all the hurt. Just like they showed that, despite what Hannah might have done in S2, she was still the victim.

I'm not saying they well executed on the concept, but I think it's what they were trying to achieve regardless.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, they tried to make people feel sympathetic towards a rapist or something?

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but then wasn't the conclusion presented by the show still that, ultimately, he's a piece of shit? The season was definitely still trying to redeem parts of his character, but I think that the end goal was still showing that he was a monster. Showing that, despite it all, he was still the person who caused all the hurt. Just like they showed that, despite what Hannah might have done in S2, she was still the victim.

I'm not saying they well executed on the concept, but I think it's what they were trying to achieve regardless.
That's the problem I have with the season is what I'm saying. I don't need to watch a whole season of Bryce trying to be a better person to be convinced that there is no redeeming him. A whole season of such a premise is 100% unnecessary and a waste of the show's setup and buildup. It was a ridiculous premise and a bamboozling direction to take the show. Season 3 should have focused entirely on Tyler and Monty, not be turned into a murder mystery.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bryce Walker
"I mean" yes, they tried to push the narrative that he felt remorseful for his actions and tried to redeem himself. Listening to tapes, apologizing to Mrs. Baker, to Jessica, trying to stick up for Tyler, confronting Monty, etc. If that wasn't clear then I don't know what it was.

I mean I though it was the shows way of saying that of course people will wallow in their own pity and try to make themselves feel better about the horrible shit they do, and maybe they even try to redeem themselves. But at the end of the day some shit is just unforgivable.

I thought it was a very realistic thing for the character of Bryce to try and do. But the show was very clear that just because Bryce does a few nice things he is still a piece of shit rapist and 90% of the time a complete self centered fuckwad.

I don't need to watch a whole season of Bryce trying to be a better person to be convinced that there is no redeeming him. A whole season os such a premise is 100% unnecessary and a waste of the show's setup and buildup.

ON this we agree 100%

ScampyDamp

Banned
May 8, 2020
Season 3 was weird. They idiotically tried to make us care about a multiple time racist because he had a bad home life or some bullshit and was sorry but then at the end they make him not actually caring at all and reverting back to his real persona from the fake one. Completely stupid.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 was weird. They idiotically tried to make us care about a multiple time racist because he had a bad home life or some bullshit and was sorry but then at the end they make him not actually caring at all and reverting back to his real persona from the fake one. Completely stupid.
Wait, am I forgetting something? Did they tackle racism in season 3? Monty?

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the series ends with Winston getting his "revenge" and all the main characters going to jail. x

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
And all this time I thought it was Luke Perry could be the only person to play a HS kid at the age of 23.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I though it was the shows way of saying that of course people will wallow in their own pity and try to make themselves feel better about the horrible shit they do, and maybe they even try to redeem themselves. But at the end of the day some shit is just unforgivable.

I thought it was a very realistic thing for the character of Bryce to try and do. But the show was very clear that just because Bryce does a few nice things he is still a piece of shit rapist and 90% of the time a complete self centered fuckwad.
Season 2 showed how Bryce felt zero remorse for anything that he did. He got an erection just from thinking about when he raped Hannah. He wasn't interested in redemption because he thought he did nothing wrong (like a rapist would). In season 3 he's re-characterized to have a mindset full of awareness of wrongdoing, and acts upon it by attempting to try and right some of the wrongs.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I couldn't make it through 2 episodes of season 3. Mostly because the new girl is simply awful, and the rest of the show was still awful, but not watchable awful like seasons 1 and 2. Last night I watched the last episode on fast forward until I got to the who killed Bryce moment. What a load of shit. Netflix shouldn't have just canceled this show, they should have deleted all proof it ever existed on their service. And I say that as someone who is pretty forgiving of crap tv. This was just dreadful.