• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Every home owner I know has had their parents help to some degree. Kind of all the same profile though, come from middle class asian families and bought in their mid to late 20s.

All bought in nicer areas in Los Angeles where the baseline for a 2b2b condo was like 500k ten years ago.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My parents gave me $50k on my first house, yeah they have an estate worth over $5 million now so I didn't pay them back.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never own shit where I live, but maybe I'll own something nearby someday.

I'm saving on my own and maybe I'll get enough greater income that I can achieve it without having to live even more frugally than I do now. I won't be inheriting much, if anything, from my parents, grandparents, aunts or uncles - so it's up to me to do the best I can.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I'm in no hurry to be a homeowner. Right now my wife and I are much more concerned with taking every step we can to maximize our earning potential--and that means being agile and willing to relocate to anywhere a good opportunity presents itself. That's harder to do when you own a house. Sure, that money we spend on rent may not be going toward building any equity, but right now in this stage of our lives, it's worth it to pay that premium. Besides, we're already on our way to building long-term wealth by saving 30% of our income between our retirement and brokerage accounts.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
It must be nice to have parents who are able to help instead of having to help your parents.
No kidding. My parents started asking me for money when I was still in college because they knew I had money from student loans to cover living expenses.

If this remote working revolution actually happens I will probably move to a more rural and affordable area. The older I get, the less I care about the things that attracted me to city life.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
My wife and I are 31, bought our first house this past summer. We wouldn't have been able to do with without a $3000 cash wedding gift from her grandparents. We also had to use a first time home buyer program that lent us like half of our down payment, but we're happy to own now instead of renting.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
Also a millennial home owner who got a lot of help from my parents. Wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I lived at home until I bought my house. I think I was 26 and committed to a $400K new build to be finished when I was 28. Was able to do it on my own, and just about get by with all my money going into the house and not much left over for savings. I am an older millennial so this was 2014 when I moved in. Got some monthly support from my parents for about a year just so i could start to build some savings as a safety net.

Ended up selling the house in 2017 for almost double, and have been out of the market since. I sold at near peak, but I look at home prices today, and feel like man, do I really want that mortgage again? Happy living more frugally for now, saving up, and buying at an opportune time. I feel like things should get more reasonable in my area Q1 next year.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Our realtor keeps asking us if family can help us out with a down payment or anything. And the answer being no, puts many houses way out of reach despite our current income.

Family help is how 80% of fellow millennials I've seen buy their houses managed it.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Millenial homeowner, and I did ask for a loan from my parents to reduce the LTV and get a better mortgage rate. I paid it off quickly, and could have done it without them, but it did help.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I probably could afford to buy a house if I lived frugally for the next few years, and then moved out of the Bay Area to somewhere affordable. Realistically, if I stay in San Jose, I won't be a home owner unless I get an inheritance. My parents first home came in their late 30s, and they were able to buy something in San Jose due to an inheritance from when my grandfather passed away.

I really set myself back helping my parents stay afloat with their mortgage. In 2012/2013, my mom had to take an early retirement for health reasons, and was making a 1/4th of what she was before. So I moved in and paid my parents nearly $2,500 a month to "rent" a room to keep them afloat for a few years, which was about $1500 more than I was paying before. That was only after I tried giving them money every month and living on my own, which just resulted in me blowing through money for a few months. It was worth it though. My mom was eventually able to go back to the same job, work for a year, and re-retire making about 3/4ths of what she was making before. They sold their home in San Jose for $1.2 Million, bought a house in Merced for $180,000 - and now my mom's retirement check alone covers all of their bills and my dad's 6 figure a year income (he has worked remotely for like 8-10 years now) and mom's social security are all straight savings.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
When we first started looking for a home here in the Twin Cities area, prices were much lower than they are now. We were previously living in a one bedroom in downtown St. Paul and we pay the same price for a mortgage on a townhome in a Minneapolis suburb. I would have preferred to stay in the city, but any house that wasn't an obvious wreck was way out of our price range. We did it by living extremely frugally for a few years. We didn't have any help from our parents, mine wouldn't be able to and hers wouldn't be willing. Even then we were only able to do it by putting down 5%. My wife wants us to buy a house with a yard in the future and I honestly don't think we'll be able to swing it if prices keep shooting up the way they have been, unless we move to a different area, something neither of us wants to do.

I do realize that I've been fortunate and live in an area where home prices aren't (yet) astronomical. It's happening here too though. I feel for people just growing up now, it's a tough situation. Honestly though, how is this going to be sustainable long term?

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Lmao, but seriously if a girl is dating me because of my house, she's definitely not a good match for me 😆
I'm just saying the more feathers you have, the more females you attract.

To me, what your saying is no different than "if a girls dating me because I have a job, she's definitely not a good match for me"

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When we first started looking for a home here in the Twin Cities area, prices were much lower than they are now. We were previously living in a one bedroom in downtown St. Paul and we pay the same price for a mortgage on a townhome in a Minneapolis suburb. I would have preferred to stay in the city, but any house that wasn't an obvious wreck was way out of our price range. We did it by living extremely frugally for a few years. We didn't have any help from our parents, mine wouldn't be able to and hers wouldn't be willing. Even then we were only able to do it by putting down 5%. My wife wants us to buy a house with a yard in the future and I honestly don't think we'll be able to swing it if prices keep shooting up the way they have been, unless we move to a different area, something neither of us wants to do.

I do realize that I've been fortunate and live in an area where home prices aren't (yet) astronomical. It's happening here too though. I feel for people just growing up now, it's a tough situation. Honestly though, how is this going to be sustainable long term?

Yeah we bought in MPLS last year and already have like $80k in equity lol. I don't know how much things will keep going up but I thought we overpaid last year.

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
We put 3.5% down when we were 31/30 and have been homeowners for the last 2 1/2 years. I don't think it's as difficult of a thing to achieve as a lot of people make it out to be, but I also understand not everyone's situation is the same. Just refinanced to get us from 4.5% at 30 years to 2.75% at 15 years and my monthly mortgage payment decreased by $30, just waiting for my lapse homestead exemption to kick in (should've filed it right away) -- should take it down another $150-200 or so.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm aiming to buy next year and the only way I could do it was to move the fuck out of an expensive city.

I live in Wales now where property is 40-50% of what it costs in the south of England. We've got about 20% ready to put down as a deposit.

The thought of staying where I was and not paying a house off til I'm 70 years old just made me fucking miserable. Here I can do it by age 45-50.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I have a plan to do it without family assistance but it involves moving from the area of the US with the highest income potential to the middle of nowhere in my 30s.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Home prices are skyrocketing in my area. I was actually looking due to low rates but the market is a shit show and I got tired of dealing with it. I'm 32 so I would like to own a home soon

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
We did FHA putting the minimum possible down and live in a place that still has relatively cheap houses available (Dallas-Fort Worth). Small 3 bed/1.5 bath house about 20 minutes from downtown Dallas for under $150,000. My parents did commit to help us and threw us some cash, but it came about a year after we closed in 2018. I would have been 30 and my wife 28.

We barely qualified due to the large amount of student loans I have along with some from her. It was kind of funny - the initial analysis were like we would be approved for around $250,000, but when they looked closer due to the payment plans we were on, they were like $150,000 and had to work to find cheaper insurance quotes, etc. to make it work.

We've had to put in work to the house, which costs money. But monthly we are paying less than we would have renting by about $150-$200 a month and of course we know the payments are going into our house rather than someone else's property.

Last edited:

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
I'm just saying the more feathers you have, the more females you attract.

To me, what your saying is no different than "if a girls dating me because I have a job, she's definitely not a good match for me"
Owning a house can be good in certain scenarios, but I'm living comfortably financially anyways and have a lot of other things going for me so I have no concern over not owning a house right now.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I'm not a millennial. I bought my first house at 46...with my parents assistance. In California housing is so expensive.

Steelrain

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the VA loan I bought my house without the added stress of worrying about a down payment. No way could I make that 20% minimum without help.

TheQueensOwn

Oct 27, 2017
Parents gave me 25k to put towards a downpayment two years ago. Couldn't have done it without them and wouldn't be able to afford the home I'm in now if I didn't buy when I did. Homes are increasing in price faster than my income, that's for sure haha. I'm super lucky.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I feel my wife and I are in the minority that didn't explicitly ask for help with a house.

With that said, it's not just a loan that helps, we wouldn't have been able to save for a 20% dowm payment if her parent has not helped with a portion of her school loans.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I've always felt a bit strange because people make owning a house seem like this major life goal that everyone should shoot for, but I'm 30 and have 0 desire to ever do so. In the past 10 years I've lived in the suburbs of Houston, Jeonju, the suburbs of Seoul, Phoenix, and Houston again. I get too antsy if I'm in one place for too long. I'm hoping to relocate to somewhere with mountains and/or decent public transportation in the next 2-3 years, I just don't really know where that place is yet.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Yep. Influencers are known for "faking" wealth.

Tai Lopez is a huge example of this. He rented that mansion and leased his sport cars.
There are areas of LA full of rental mansions specifically for that purpose. Much to the chagrin of longtime residents. In the US, when you make it big on Youtube or TikTok the next step is almost always move to LA, rent nice house or move into an established influencer mansion with others such as the "Hype House". Depending on what type of thing you made it big doing of course.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
There are areas of LA full of rental mansions specifically for that purpose. Much to the chagrin of longtime residents. In the US, when you make it big on Youtube or TikTok the next step is almost always move to LA, rent nice house or move into an established influencer mansion with others such as the "Hype House". Depending on what type of thing you made it big doing of course.
Yep. It's big in the influencer community. One of the biggest Youtubers, Casey Neistat also moved there. His content sucks now sadly. He was in NYC before.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
In some cultures, parents helping with buying a house is normal and not shameful. A lot of Chinese Americans here in Brooklyn are helped by their parents with the understanding that the parents will live with them when they are of very old age.

I think that's a bit different; the idea is basically to pool all the resources like many immigrant/1st generation ones do since they are building equity effectively from the ground up; you will find that across the immigrant community not just asian.

I also think its less about being shameful, but the fact that because of the way wealth works in the US we are at the point where homeownership is so expensive well off homeowners are expected to help fund new homeowners, lol.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Millennial here. I own a house. Checkmate losers!

/s
I had to struggle for more than a decade, fight for multiple promotions, raises, and even then, rely on income from my wife to get to a 6-figure down payment. Had to empty our life savings to afford our first house. This took a physical toll on me. I had to start blood pressure meds at the age of 30!

Edit: this is for Los Angeles.

Edit 2: My parents were poor. Lived in poverty most of their life. They couldn't help me. My mom still gave me a few hundred in savings for the down payment because I take care of her.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I live with my dad which is how I'm saving up for a house eventually. It allows me to save almost all of my paycheck. Unfortunately unemployment has put a stop to that for the moment.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I'm a millennial. I put down 12% with no help from my parents. My parents couldn't even afford to help with college let alone a down payment. I could have saved up for the full 20% but house prices were going up so fast that it wouldn't have helped to wait, which is ridiculous.

Honestly I'll probably end up paying for my parents house in the end. My siblings are disabled and I'll probably have to take over after my parents die.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

There was that nytimes article yesterday pointing out what a sad sham it was, and how often they get got...it's a throwback to 'Move to hollywood and become a famous actor!' trap.

www.nytimes.com

Trying to Make It Big Online? Getting Signed Isn’t Everything (Published 2020)

Young people come to Los Angeles in droves with dreams of fame and fortune. Once they’re discovered, it’s not always sunny.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Also thankful for my parents helping me out. They let me live for sometime at their home while i saved up. Also i used government programs for 1st time home buyers and got around 40k with basically zero interest. Used it for downpayment. Really blessed I know.

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
I've always felt a bit strange because people make owning a house seem like this major life goal that everyone should shoot for, but I'm 30 and have 0 desire to ever do so. In the past 10 years I've lived in the suburbs of Houston, Jeonju, the suburbs of Seoul, Phoenix, and Houston again. I get too antsy if I'm in one place for too long. I'm hoping to relocate to somewhere with mountains and/or decent public transportation in the next 2-3 years, I just don't really know where that place is yet.
I completely agree, I feel like we're too materialistic as a whole and place way too much importance on what we own.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I'm 37, have owned a house for six years, and it never in a million years would have happened if not for my wife's grandparents. They had a sizeable inheritance saved for my wife and they gave it to us for a down payment because they wanted our kids to live in a good school district, especially because our son has autism and ADHD. Even with the large down payment, the monthly mortgage is higher than I would like, because this is California.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Here's the article in question, there's just not a ton of background info in it.

www.biggerpockets.com

I Built a $550K Net Worth by Age 28, Thanks to These Lessons My Parents Taught Me

By the time I turned 28 years old, my net worth was already $550K. I didn't win the lottery or inherit a trust fund, and I wasn't earning a doctor's or lawyer's salary. So, how'd I do it? I was raised to be financially independent.
This article kills me. "When I was 14, my parents gave me $10-15(usd)/week and I could make an extra $20 by not watching tv, another $10 for doing the dishes each night for a week, and just generally increasing my hustle. I stole all of my brothers allowance money by doing his jobs so he didn't have to, and thus became way wiser with money than he is! Also, I opened a Roth IRA as a child/teenager because my parents told me investing is smart, and they put the first bit of money in there, and that all compounded through and after the Great Recession so at 28 when the recovery was in full swing I was (relatively) loaded and had net worth of $550k! Why can't everyone just do what I did?"

Like come the fuck on; other people can't do what you did because they didn't have that lucky/educational of a childhood! My parents never mentioned investing growing up because they don't have any investments. Her allowance was $1 a week, and every few months she was getting a "raise"; mine was $1/week indefinitely until I had my first job, at which point it just stopped. When I was like 10 I got that first "job", a paper route that payed 4cents a paper and an extra half cent for each ad I put in it, delivered 3 times a week. My take home (after about 10-12 hours a week for 4 weeks) was like $25-30/month. When I was 14(the age she was starting at $15(usd)/week, and then also "hustling" and taking her brothers allowance away from him), I was making about $6(cad)/hr working at Dairy Queen, getting two 3-hour shifts a week and spending the better part of one hour's worth of work on an ice cream sundae or a blizzard at the end of each shift, because I was a goddamn idiot child who had ice cream in front of them. My weekly take home after working and getting my snack was maybe $20-30, which is about her allowance alone, let alone her "hustle money. I still had to do household chores just like her, but she was "earning" the same just off of the basic stuff expected from being a child. In other words, her parents were probably well enough off that they could afford to give her this allowance, teach her about investments, and foster good financial principles at a young age. During the recession/recovery I sure as shit didn't have investments that were increasing in value; I was trying to keep my university credit card debt from going out of control until my student loans came in for the next semester and I could pay off the previous four months of debt I had accrued, then run up the cards again until summer employment and pay them down, then repeat the cycle.

This whole article literally says "I came from an ok/well off family who had their finances straight, they taught me a bunch of shit and enabled me to put it into practice, and so I came out way ahead of everyone else." Like, yeah, that's the entire fucking point: most people didn't get that financial instruction at a young age, and now we're paying for it 20 years later. The majority of people didn't grow up in an environment where those things were taught, reinforced and enabled!

My parents didn't teach us about investments because they were always struggling with money; my dad worked two jobs to cover expenses so that my mom could also work part time while we were at school, and then raise three kids until my brother was old enough to be left at home without supervision so she could start earning more money too. I learned about the basics of investing and financials from my older brother who had a 5-6 year lead on me, so he figured some shit out before my sister and I did. I was already a couple years into working before I had heard of an RRSP/TFSA (canadian "401k-ish"investment vehicles), and another year or two before I started using them.

The article is clearly confusing the point of "its so easy, anyone can do it!" with "most people are never taught this shit/don't learn about it until way too late and are way behind because of that fact."

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me think of this.

Ee0V9ECXYAYwpQ7.png

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a 30 year old millennial and the reason I am where I am is because of help with no strings attached. And if my career plans come to fruition soon, I'll be able to do the same for my children. And I have every intent to do so. Don't be afraid to ask for help if it's available, and keep voting/pressuring our representation to provide the assistance for the folks that don't have the option of asking family for help. Keep pushing for an end to student loans, healthcare for all, housing assistance, etc. It's on those of us in a good spot to fight for those that aren't.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
My parents didn't help with a downpayment, but I was extremely fortunate that they offered to essentially pay off my one non-interest college loan. Without having a monthly expenditure like that, I was able to save to get my current (not great though) house.

They unironically think that I'm the perfect example of "working my way up" from a crappy retail job & apartment to a salaried job & house and how "anyone can do it." No reflection whatsoever that they pretty much covered my college loans.

Don't even get me started on my brother living with them for a good portion of his twenties until he saved enough to leave. (Sure they charged "rent" but I'm sure it was pittance and they also helped him get his current job too)

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This article kills me. "When I was 14, my parents gave me $10-15(usd)/week and I could make an extra $20 by not watching tv, another $10 for doing the dishes each night for a week, and just generally increasing my hustle. I stole all of my brothers allowance money by doing his jobs so he didn't have to, and thus became way wiser with money than he is! Also, I opened a Roth IRA as a child/teenager because my parents told me investing is smart, and they put the first bit of money in there, and that all compounded through and after the Great Recession so at 28 when the recovery was in full swing I was (relatively) loaded and had net worth of $550k! Why can't everyone just do what I did?"

Like come the fuck on; other people can't do what you did because they didn't have that lucky/educational of a childhood! My parents never mentioned investing growing up because they don't have any investments. Her allowance was $1 a week, and every few months she was getting a "raise"; mine was $1/week indefinitely until I had my first job, at which point it just stopped. When I was like 10 I got that first "job", a paper route that payed 4cents a paper and an extra half cent for each ad I put in it, delivered 3 times a week. My take home (after about 10-12 hours a week for 4 weeks) was like $25-30/month. When I was 14(the age she was hustling her brothers allowance away from him and making $15(usd)/week), I was making about $6(cad)/hr working at Dairy Queen, getting two 3-hour shifts a week and spending the better part of one hour's worth of work on a goddamn ice cream sundae or a blizzard at the end of each shift, because I was a goddamn idiot child who had ice cream in front of them. My weekly take home after working and getting my snack was maybe $20-30, which is about her allowance alone, let alone her "hustle money. I still had to do household chores just like her, but she was "earning" the same just off of the basic stuff expected from being a child. In other words, her parents were probably well enough off that they could afford to give her this allowance, teach her about investments, and foster good financial principles at a young age. During the recession/recovery I sure as shit didn't have investments that were increasing in value; I was trying to keep my university credit card debt from going out of control until my student loans came in for the next semester and I could pay off the previous four months of debt I had accrued, then run up the cards again until summer employment and pay them down, then repeat the cycle.

This whole article literally says "I came from an ok/well off family who had their finances straight, they taught me a bunch of shit and enabled me to put it into practice, and so I came out way ahead of everyone else." Like, yeah, that's the entire fucking point: most people didn't get that financial instruction at a young age, and now we're paying for it 20 years later. The majority of people didn't grow up in an environment where those things were taught, reinforced and enabled!

My parents didn't teach us about investments because they were always struggling with money; my dad worked two jobs to cover expenses so that my mom could also work part time while we were at school, and then raise three kids until my brother was old enough to be left at home without supervision so she could start earning more money too. I learned about the basics of investing and financials from my older brother who had a 5-6 year lead on me, so he figured some shit out before my sister and I did. I was already a couple years into working before I had heard of an RRSP/TFSA (canadian "401k-ish"investment vehicles), and another year or two before I started using them.

The article is clearly confusing the point of "its so easy, anyone can do it!" with "most people are never taught this shit/don't learn about it until way too late and are way behind because of that fact."
The comments are worse because they speak like she's did it on her own, furthering this bullshit narrative.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
We could only buy a house because of our families. Neither of us had to pay for college and her dad loaned us the money which we are paying back, but it's interest free so that saves us tens of thousands of dollars.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I completely agree, I feel like we're too materialistic as a whole and place way too much importance on what we own.
Yeah, sorry, but at least for me, it has a lot more to do with the big pricetag renting where I live and I fail to see why I should blow my money up a big landlord's ass. But then again, I have had bad experiences renting and I'm not one to move around a lot.

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
Yeah, sorry, but at least for me, it has a lot more to do with the big pricetag renting where I live and I fail to see why I should blow my money up a big landlord's ass. But then again, I have had bad experiences renting and I'm not one to move around a lot.
I can't argue with that! Fortunately I've had good renting experiences lol

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I'm 32 and did it without help from the parents about 4 years ago. My parents don't have the money to help with something like this.

We ended up qualifying for a first time home buyer's program where we put 5% down. That was still over 10,000 mind you, and with closing costs/etc we needed closer to 20,000 on hand. Made it by selling a large portion of my game collection which I had spent years building at garage sales/flea markets/thrift shops. Not everything, but a lot of it.

This was around 4 years ago. We did a 30 year loan and still have to have the PMI but our monthly cost is still around what our rent was before and less than it would be now if we'd stayed. That's the good news. The bad news is that even with the housing market being very in our favor over the last four years, we're kind of stuck. We like our house but its a split level with a LOT of stairs and my wife is kind of tired of it. Plus with me working from home permanently now, we'd kind of like me to have an office. Moving just isn't much of an option though. Our 210000 house is now valued at about 240000. Nice profit, but its worthless to us unless we want to relocate to a very different area. If we sold the place now, we'd be lucky to come out with 40,000 in cash after closing costs/etc. That's a nice chunk of money, but anything else in the area has gone up in price just like our house has. Which means it likely isn't enough for a down payment on the sort of house we'd want now. This time we would need to have 20% down as we would no longer be first time home buyers. We could potentially relocate to another area where our money would go further, and we've talked about that, but that's the only way we can move. Otherwise we're stuck for at least a few more years until we pay this down more.

I think instead we're going to take out a home line of credit and redo the kitchen which should boost the value, plus put in a wall which will turn the family room into a bedroom to technically make our 4 bedroom house into a 5 bedroom one. Then we can revisit selling in a few years if we still want to.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Every millennial I know who owns their home either got it from their parents dying and then inheriting the house/money. Or their parents or family chipping in on the down payment.

I know a ton of homeowners but I'm originally from Mississippi. So homes are still really affordable.

Actually I'd say a slight majority of the homeowners I went to high school with built their houses instead of buying one off the market. Land is not exactly hard to find in Mississippi.

The dream is for my company to let me work 24/7 remote. Then I can move to a small blue town and my wife and I can buy something