• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
This is a list made up of the most dissapointing game from each year from 2007 to 2021

2007 - Lair
2008 - Alone in the Dark
2009 - Bionic Commando
2010 - Lost Planet 2
2011 - Duke Nukem Forever
2012 - Resident Evil 6
2013 - Aliens : Colonial Marines
2014 - Thief
2015 - The Order 1886
2016 - Mafia 3
2017 - Mass Effect Andromeda
2018 - Fallout 76
2019 - Crackdown 3
2020 - Marvels Avengers
2021 - Biomutant

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will ever beat ME: andromeda for me, at least CP was playable for me with my PC despite the 10 million bugs, but it would be second

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Lords of Shadow 2 was a much bigger disappointment than Thief back in 2014.

At least the latter had a good atmosphere and level design.

LoS2 had good graphics....and....Dracula was cool? That's it.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how a 7/10 can be the most disappointing game of any year. Talking about Crackdown 3.

And Fallout 76 "was" disappointing when it came out, so I guess it qualifies, but it's good-to-great now.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah outside of Cyberpunk, that list it's mostly correct if you look at it as games which disappointed at release. I'll bat for The Order any day but goddamn what a disappointment it was when it came out.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
this list is weird, a lot of games that not many people were looking forward for (IIRC nobody was really hyped about fallout 76, crackdown 3, bionic commando or the thief reboot). I thought lost planet 2 was like EDF in that it has a niche audience that really likes it and then nobody really else?

Avengers over Cyberpunk is also very strange. And not having no mans sky over mafia 3 is VERY weird.

OP
OP
Martinski

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I don't see how a 7/10 can be the most disappointing game of any year. Talking about Crackdown 3.

And Fallout 76 "was" disappointing when it came out, so I guess it qualifies, but it's good-to-great now.
this list is weird, a lot of games that not many people were looking forward for (IIRC nobody was really hyped about fallout 76, crackdown 3, bionic commando or the thief reboot). I thought lost planet 2 was like EDF in that it has a niche audience that really likes it and then nobody really else?

Avengers over Cyberpunk is also very strange. And not having no mans sky over mafia 3 is VERY weird.

They make their points in their video as to why they picked those games in the list.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
2010 should be Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 instead of Lost Planet 2. LP2 was a disappointing sequel to a fairly middling title and its mediocrity was apparent from the demos they put out for it.

XIV1.0 was such a huge blunder in essentially every aspect and was a huge commercial and critical failure for Square Enix for years. It had next to no story, absolutely abysmal gameplay systems (most notably the fatigue system, which could hypothetically keep you from gaining experience at all), was a poorly optimized mess (to put it nicely), and had constant server issues.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
2020 and not picking Cyberpunk is just plain weird, and basically made me ignore the video. I really don't care about their reasons. Game got delisted from PSN for months as one example and they chose Avengers???

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
How is Anthem not on this list?! That's a weird list overall though cause there wasn't much hype or expectations behind a lot of those games listed.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers over Cyberpunk is certainly... a decision.

Cyberpunk is salvageable, because they went in with a GaaS style game for Avengers it is not.

Lost Planet 2 was great. The issue was the title was way too hard for most people playing it, while making you completely dependent on teammates skills. A single link weak could cause a wipe. Nor do I see it as big of a bomb as FFXIV. That left a crater and hundreds of millions re-sunk back into it to fix it.

Other one that really sticks out is Thief. I don't recall much hype for it anyways. When 2014 had what was considered the worst AssCreed to date with Unity and put the franchise in hot water till Origins bounced it back. It was also the year Destiny, ESO, and MCC came out, but each one of those were salvaged.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Weird the most hyped game of the last generation is not here, Cyberpunk is the biggest disappointment easy, No Man Sky was for sure the choice for 2016.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Cyberpunk is salvageable, because they went in with a GaaS style game for Avengers it is not.
Honestly, I kinda think it's the opposite. Cyberpunk is rotten to the actual core - the story is awful, the mission design is threadbare, and the characters are insufferable. When CDPR fixes all of the technical issues in a few years, it'll just be a properly functioning terrible RPG that was four years behind the curve at launch.

Meanwhile, because Avengers was at least set up with ongoing support in mind - it's possible for Crystal Dynamics to add in more story content and gradually make an interesting experience. I doubt they pull it off, but at least there are some people who seem to champion the new content additions.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Mafia 3? A game that was totally fine in the year that Zero Time Dilemma came out? Nope.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
That site really has an axe to grind with Biomutant, lol.

I find it weird, since that's probably my GOTY so far.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the list is understandable but I love Bionic Commando 2009 even if the main character is pretty lame.

Thief 2014 was infuriating. I expected something from Eidos Montreal like Human Revolution which at least tried to appeal to old fans while mainstreaming the formula.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Death Stranding was robbed. Crackdown 3 was always going to be average.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I kinda think it's the opposite. Cyberpunk is rotten to the actual core - the story is awful, the mission design is threadbare, and the characters are insufferable. When CDPR fixes all of the technical issues in a few years, it'll just be a properly functioning terrible RPG that was four years behind the curve at launch.

Meanwhile, because Avengers was at least set up with ongoing support in mind - it's possible for Crystal Dynamics to add in more story content and gradually make an interesting experience. I doubt they pull it off, but at least there are some people who seem to champion the new content additions.

For Avengers, its not story, its the gameplay. Specifically the loot grind nature of it. Loot doesn't seem to give me a big increase in power nor does it change how I play. Rather it does nothing but slightly increases my damage while letting me take a bit more. The system is confusing and it doesn't give any dopamine rush of getting something new. I'm not really sure how they can save it without reworking this to be a non-GaaS title or a complete overhaul of the action.

Since Cyberpunk is offline, they can basically do whatever the fuck they want with it. I'd still say Cyberpunk is the biggest bomb of 2020 following that hype train.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The absence of Cyberpunk makes the thinking behind this entire list suspect. Even IF you think the game is salvageable, the problems from that game were easily some of the biggest gaming news of 2020.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I can't for the life of me imagine how Cyberpunk isn't on this list. It's not just one of the most disappointing games of the last 15 years but one of the most disappointing of all time.

We're talking about an insanely hyped for years game that released that was so bad it was taken off the PS store and massive amounts of refunds were needed.

I just can't imagine any scenario leaving that off.

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
Was Lost Planet 2 highly anticipated? Like I don't think there was any big reception of the first game and it had mixed reviews so I don't see how there was an huge excitement for the sequel unless the previews/pre-release showings were extremely good. Like Metroid Other M released that year and I'm very sure that had a lot more excitement going into it and didn't turn out so good. Like it's one of the two games besides Federation Force that either "Metroid went on hiatus or it's dead".

Also Lost Planet 2 rules but I'm biased in that.

Oct 25, 2017
Who had high expectations for Lost Planet 2 to start with?
I actually did. I thought the first Lost Planet was pretty solid but flawed and I figured they would fucking kill it with a sequel.......but they didn't. I was looking forward to it so much.
And somehow Lost Planet 3 was even worse.
So much potential completely squandered.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I consider Mafia 3 to be the best example of a 6/10 game so I kinda agree with its placement on the list.

avengers over cyberpunk 2077 is wild tho lol