Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All these are issues I could easily be more forgiving of too, but there's a bigger more overlying issue that can't go ignored, which is very elegantly elaborated upon in this thread by celes. I've always found the stuff with the Viera to be problematic, but I'll admit as a white guy I didn't realize soon enough how wrong it is that a game setting inspired by the Middle East is almost entirely white. I used to love the setting until I read celes thread, and I don't feel like I can endorse Ivalice as a "pretty dope world' unless Square does something about these issues. I can get over some goofy writing but this just isn't right, and breaks any chance for immersion more than complaints like "Vaan is sooo annoying." This is not to say XII is the only FF that has issues with how it depicts (or doesn't depict) people with darker skin, but I feel it needs to be brought up in here.
Thanks. It's both hilarious and sad that the art in the OP literally has Fran forced into a pose that shows off her butt.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played this one, but I really want to someday when I have time. I think it's incredibly cool that they weren't just recreating the same FF experience and decided to really do something new. From what I understand, this game sort of forms the basis for modern single-player FF with its real time combat. Is that true?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One of those games that will never click with me after several attempts.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I haven't played this one, but I really want to someday when I have time. I think it's incredibly cool that they weren't just recreating the same FF experience and decided to really do something new. From what I understand, this game sort of forms the basis for modern single-player FF with its real time combat. Is that true?

Pretty much. Almost every major RPG after this eventually went the real time route with AI controlled party members, not just FF.

Even Persona eventually went this route with Strikers.

DQ is the only major series i can think of that's strictly turn based, but even that has a party AI system- though it is absolutely abysmal.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
No, its not a great metric to use subreddits since the mainline games are "one and done" and don't have persistent engagement after completion. The base moves on.

MMO's are a treadmill that requires persistent engagement to get anything out of them, and that engagement encourages community so they will have more active subreddits.

Looking at actual players it wont be close, especially since Sony gave away FFVII-R for free this month with plus and there is an enhanced release coming.
Well yeah, you're right. It wouldn't be close. I'm not sure FF7R will ever hit even half of FF14's player count, even with its re-release and PS+ numbers. The base game is 20 bucks and it has a free trial. Honestly I'm not sure there's any metric, sales, player count, engagement, anything, in which FF7R would have an edge over FF14. Number of boxed physical sales, probably?

Brazil definitely has a point that the largest community of FF fans is probably centered around FF14, possibly bigger than all other FF games combined right now.

Mar 11, 2021
I am playing this on Switch for the first time. This game is awesome.

I wish more RPGs had a similar gambit system setup (being able to set up combat workflow yourself). It just makes sense. It's like turn-based combat (which I love), but automated. I do wish there were way more gambit slots so that I could set up more complex flows. 12-ish gambits seems too low for mages/support.

I also love the 4X speed-up, could not imagine playing this without it.

I also quite like the knockoff star wars feel. :)

I am a bit annoyed that important spells are apparently not all available in shops.

Visuals look nice. The hair physics are good for PS2-era.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Very amazing RPG and underrated FF game. I don't care much for the characters, but the high-stakes political drama plot kept me interested enough to keep going. Also the game looked gorgeous for it's time!

Also loved the licensing board, it has it's flaws, but the first playthrough for me I always had fun evolving my characters in different ways with it.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much. Almost every major RPG after this eventually went the real time route with AI controlled party members, not just FF.

Even Persona eventually went this route with Strikers.

DQ is the only major series i can think of that's strictly turn based, but even that has a party AI system- though it is absolutely abysmal.
Interesting stuff. I think Pokemon is the only other turn based system that hasn't gone this route besides DQ.

Personally, it feels to me like Secret of Mana was the first true "take" on this type of battle system, primitive as it may be by today's standards. Although the first game in the franchise (Final Fantasy Adventure / Seiken Densetsu 1) had real time combat too, as far as I'm aware, it didn't do so where other party members could come along and be controlled by AI. Plus it gave you some ability to control how the AI behaves.

I may be wrong, but it feels like games like modern FF and Xenoblade all stem from Secret of Mana, even if it isn't a direct influence.

Mar 11, 2021
I also must echo everyone else who has complimented the voice acting/script. Much better than most JRPGs I've played.

One other thing.....The music is....okay. Not bad, not amazing, but pretty good. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, I expect top tier music from final fantasy.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game but going back to it with the remaster last year, I have less patience for its drawn out length (even with the speed up function). I love the world and more serious writing compared to other FFs but it lost its steam for me halfway through.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I fucking HATED this game when I first played it in 2006, it wasn't until giving the game another shot years later that I came to appreciate it a lot more.

The more political plot and battle system was a serious turnoff at first, but once I really dug into the Gambit system, I ended up loving the game a lot more. The Gambit system is genius.

Also, Vaan fucking sucks. He SHOULD NOT be the main character, and it would have been better if the story wasn't told from his point of view. The rest of the side characters are all infinitely more interesting to me.

I agree that Vaan shouldn't be the main character.

Obviously, there are a ton of similarities between FF XII and Star Wars: A New Hope, so, Vaan was FF XII's Luke. Except, there's literally nothing special about Vaan other than his brother is killed in the prologue. Ashe is the character with the "chosen one" destiny. Balthier is the guy with one of the big villains as his dad. Basch is the redemption / revenge story. Any of them would have made a better "main character". I guess it doesn't matter so much because after the first few chapters you've got the whole party under your control.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
The best numbered Final Fantasy game. Playing in real time, the feling of setting up the gambits just righ to make it through tough areas is fantastic. I played Xenoblade DE recently and that game desperately needed a similar system.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite Final Fantasy. My girlfriend is currently playing it and is in love with it. Penelo is her favourite character followed by Ashe.

I'm also a Vaan apologist. While the story isn't ultimately about him, he is the driving force behind the rest of the party and gets them to stop running from their past. His character arc also mirrors Ashe, though he's a commoner. He absolutely has a place in the story and makes a good point-of-view.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Want to crosspost this discussion by Manmademan and Zen with a lot of valuable information that i missed in all of my playthorughs.

Thanks to them i'm going to replay this next after finishing Days Gone.
I'm going to addend by saying Venat's motives and intentions should be questioned and not left at face value. Unfortunately the game doesn't give us much to work with for her so we are left to guess.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I also must echo everyone else who has complimented the voice acting/script. Much better than most JRPGs I've played.

One other thing.....The music is....okay. Not bad, not amazing, but pretty good. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, I expect top tier music from final fantasy.

EDIT:

Two of my faves

I thought the music was quite the stand out however I did wish at the port towns had folk/livelier themed music

Last edited:

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who didnt really keep up with game news at the time and literally just walked into a store and thought "holy shit they made a new final fantasy game" ill never forget my confusion/dissapointment once i actually started playing it and how different it was to what i was used to.

Even replaying the zodiac edition years later, its just one of those game that dosent click for me.

Oct 25, 2017
No it wouldn't, because XII leans heavily on the exact same principles in TZA, especially when you're fighting through the more difficult trials.

The revised job system means you *cannot* have one person doing everything, so constantly switching between all six characters is mandatory.

Comparing switching between a party of six in TZA and a party of three in FFVII-R is night and day. Your AI companions in FFVII-R are near brain dead in comparison.

Even with the party AI being light years past any FF before or since, TZA still manages to be *by far* the most difficult mainline FF. There is nothing like the trials in any of the other games- they are extremely difficult and force the player to make the most of all six characters and adjusting gambits to make it through.

I don't remember really needing to switch much at all in TZA. Gambits had pretty much everything covered.
I might've manually switched a couple times in the Judges fight to throw ethers but that's pretty much it.
Switching to manage aggro wasn't a thing like in VIIR.
Only fights I'd call difficult in XII are Yiazmat, Omega, and the Judges trial.
The first two are trivialized with Whither, and the last is only moderately difficult.
I'd say Penance and Dark Bahamut from X were harder.
And the Arena DLC bosses in XIII-2 were much harder.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I wish more of these "save the world" games would have you playing a party character rather than the "chosen one".

My boy Vaan is just a kid from the slums who just wants to be a sky pirate and got wrapped up into a huge story.

Also, gambits became my favorite once I started treating them like programming to solve a problem or solving a puzzle. So satisfying to watch the machine work.

Trigger