EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
How the fuck is the MvC cab sold out at Beat Buy?! I've been checking for so long and the dates have been pushed back further and further, it said it was releasing soon two days ago when I looked and didn't have an option to pre-order (and didn't say sold out), and now that the release day is here they aren't available? So much for any hopes that today was going to be a good birthday...

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting, thanks for the heads up. $100 more than XvS. Probably because of the stool.
The stool and a light-up deck under the controls with multiple different colors (light-up marquee as well but I think the regular XvSF cab has a lit marquee also).

Hopefully Canada getting them in the Spring means Best Buy in the US gets more stock too. I'll treat myself tonight to a giant calzone, way too much ice cream cake, and a bottle of mead instead of having a Marvel cab on order.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. One thing that stood out to me was the light-up deck protector. I've seen other Youtube reviews of the Pac-Man & NBA Jam cabs with the same feature and I didn't care for it, but seeing the control graphic outlines light up it looks sweet as hell. I'm sratching my head at how that effect was pulled off. I assume some sort of photo-reactive ink on the panel or something.

I got a light up deck protector with NBA Jam. It's...Okay. Maybe in part it's because the jam panel is so wide to accommodate the 4-player, but I don't think it looks good, and this is coming from someone with an RGB heavy pc case and Phillips Hue color/play lights all over my place. Hopefully it will look better with MvC, but I'll be getting mine at some point today and hopefully be able to give my impressions.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe ms pac man doesn't have turbo mode. Whole thing is a fucking joke without it

You'll be pleased on know A1U is working on a patch for the Ms.Pac-Man cabinet to add speed settings.

How the fuck is the MvC cab sold out at Beat Buy?! I've been checking for so long and the dates have been pushed back further and further, it said it was releasing soon two days ago when I looked and didn't have an option to pre-order (and didn't say sold out), and now that the release day is here they aren't available? So much for any hopes that today was going to be a good birthday...

The MvC cab was flipping between "pre-order" and "sold out" on the Best Buy website for the past two weeks. There are posts on the A1U Reddit page of people who've pre-ordered and finding their status flipping from being shipped to order delayed. I pre-ordered as soon as I could because I figured there might be potential supply issues like this.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Well my MvC cab is still marked as 'out for delivery' from 12 hours ago. Let's hope they didn't give up because of the weight.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Everytime I get interested in these I remember they're munchkin sized.

It would be better to custom build a slim cabinet and put a small computer it in.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Marvel cabs show back in-stock at Best Buy! I haven't checked out that fast at a website in a long time. Delivery is the 14th or store-pickup is the 10th but that doesn't bother me at all; if it said "January 30th" or something I'd still be happy to have managed to nab one.

My plan to use the credit card I just signed up for that gives me $250 cashback after spending $500 in the first three months won't work since my card still hasn't arrived, but my wife did give me $200 for my birthday to use towards the cab and I got 10% off one item for the month at Best Buy since it's my birthday month, so it's coming out way cheaper for me still. And if my card shows up before it ships I might still be able to switch my payment method with Best Buy (or cancel/reorder if it isn't OoS).

The actual MvC art on the sides and marquee, and my main Morrigan being on that side art, meant I had to get one, and it meant a the XIt'll go great with all of my other MvC merch. I can't wait to play; the last time that I even saw a MvC cab was a little over 11 years ago when I came across some Mahvel candy cabs set-up back-to-back at a sketchy mall in the Philippines. I definitely didn't pass up the opportunity to play on them though (I have played the game more recently than that).

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Mine arrived around 7pm after the last update said it was out for delivery at 8am. Planning on putting it together tomorrow.

No such luck for me. It transitioned back to "In Transit" around 10PM and I think they're going to re-deliver Monday. I'm really tired of trying to schedule being home around this cab, but I don't want to leave something that comes in a box basically labelled as "$500 VIDEO GAME" in clear view of the road. Did yours ship with a plain outer box or the retail package?

Oh well, let us know your impressions. I'm hopeful the sticks and buttons won't need to be replaced, but this is a1up.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
No such luck for me. It transitioned back to "In Transit" around 10PM and I think they're going to re-deliver Monday. I'm really tired of trying to schedule being home around this cab, but I don't want to leave something that comes in a box basically labelled as "$500 VIDEO GAME" in clear view of the road. Did yours ship with a plain outer box or the retail package?

It arrived in the retail packaging. All-together the box weights about 100lbs, so I wasn't too worried about someone absconding with it while I wasn't home. The box arrived mostly intact aside from a worrying dent along one of the edges at the middle of the box. It looked it like someone took a swing with a bat at it.

Oh well, let us know your impressions. I'm hopeful the sticks and buttons won't need to be replaced, but this is a1up.

I haven't cracked the box open yet, but I already know the cabinet is using the Sanwa clone sticks and buttons found on their recent cabinets. The quality is way better than the garbage stick/buttons used on the original Gen1 cabinets. The controls on my Golden Axe cabinet are on par with clone Sanwa parts you can buy on Amazon or you find on budget fight sticks.

In any case, I'll most likely be swapping out the stock controls on the MvC cabinet with Happ stick/buttons. Not because the stocks are garbage, but as a fun project and to give the cabinet a more authentic arcade feel.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shows in stock right now for me

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Oh well, let us know your impressions.

So I put together my MvC cabinet and recorded my thoughts in the process to help anyone thinking about picking one up in the near future:

Packaging: Everything in the MvC retail box was packaged really well. The side panels were placed at the center of the box surrounded by the boxes of the other parts and Styrofoam. Everything looks undamaged despite the outer box being worse for wear from shipping.

Assembly: Assembly took me about 90 minutes going at a leisurely pace. Someone with their mind focused on it could get the cabinet together in an hour. The last A1U cabinet I put together (Golden Axe) had multiple minor QA build issues such as slightly off screw holes which made assembly more difficult than it was supposed to be. I can say that the MvC cabinet I received had none of those issues. I'm not a fan of the assembly process A1U uses with their cabinets, but all the screw holes lined up perfectly and all the parts snapped together tightly.

Cabinet Aesthetics: The cabinet itself looks fantastic. The vinyl artwork is vivid & crisp. The light-up marquee distributes it's light evenly across the artwork.

Control Deck: The joystick and buttons are Sanwa clones. Testing out the game with Ryu I was able to pull off motion inputs without much difficulty in adjustment. I think I had a harder time getting re-adjusted to using a bat-top and American button layout than the actual controls. The joystick shaft has a standard Sanwa screw thread, so if you dislike bat-tops, you can easily swap them out for ball-tops. I think for most people looking to buy this cabinet, the stock controls will meet their needs. I know from working on my other A1U cabinets, the stock controls can be swapped out for higher quality sticks and buttons.

The MvC cabinet comes with a row of LED lights to illuminate the control deck during play. The plexiglass protective cover has the outlines of the control artwork with some kind of photo-reactive ink. When the LED lights are on, the joystick and button graphics light up with a really nice effect. Sadly I'm ultimately disappointed with this feature, as the LED lights also illuminate EVERY hairline scratch or smudge on the plexiglass cover. When I first turned on the LED effect after building my cabinet, I noticed multiple patches of hairline scratches and smudges. Worse, while I was playing the cabinet, I noticed a growing ring of color around the joystick dust cover. The plastic dust cover was scratching the plexiglass which the LED lights were illuminating. I can only imagine as time wears on my control deck will look worse and worse as hairline scratches and smudges accumulate.

The Stool: A non-swivel stool about 30" in height. Unlike the stools A1U sells separately, this one is not height adjustable, so you can really only use it with the cabinet on a riser. Seat padding feels kind of thin; I might not want to sit on it for long sessions.

Online Experience: When I first turned on the cabinet, the system asked me if I wanted to connect to my wifi network. No problems getting connected and the cabinet immediately alerted me to an available firmware update. Creating an online player account was straightforward as well. I briefly tried to find an online game, but I had no luck. I assume with the cabinet being so new there isn't much of an online community yet. I'm curious how long the online community will stay active.

The Games: I gave MvC, XvSF, and that SNES game a quick try. Both XvC & XvSF have the option to go into the arcade test menu and change settings or run test diagnostics. The games run great and I didn't notice any apparent issues with the emulation. I am disappointed that there isn't an option in these games to add a scanline filter. A1U's Golden Axe cabinet has a scanline filter and it improves the overall look of the games immensely. I am hopeful with the wifi connectivity that A1U will be inclined to push out future updates to patch this filter in.

I'm not sure why A1U felt the need to include a SNES side-scrolling beat'em up with either version of this cabinet. Both cabinets have 3-4 great fighting games, filler wasn't needed. I assume A1U felt adding a single player game from another genre would boost the cabinet's appeal. I don't know why A1U didn't go with The Punisher, previously found on the Marvel Super Heroes cabinet. That would've been a fantastic game to include.

Conclusion: Overall my impression the Marvel vs Capcom cabinet is one of the better cabinets A1U has released. Is it worth the extra $100 over the $399 X-Men vs Street Fighter version? That's a tougher question to answer. While the cabinet artwork design is great, the other physical perks to the cabinet (the light-up control deck & custom stool) I don't really feel are worth that extra money. On the software side, the MvC gives you a different SNES Marvel game (which I think most people don't care about), swaps out Children of the Atom for Marvel Super Heroes, and adds Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter.

I think overall, the $399 XvsSF cabinet offers the best value for the money. I'd only recommend spending the extra $100 if you got to have the MvC cabinet artwork design or are a fan of MSH or MSHvSF.

Last edited:

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Thanks for the impressions! I'm dying while waiting for my cab (along with the TMNT light up marquee) to get here on Monday. lol

I'll probably be switching out the controls for Sanwa sticks and IL buttons, though.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I'm not sure if this has been shared in the thread yet, but A1U put out an update regarding the digital pinball (it's delayed) on their Facebook page:

Dear Gamers, we had to make a tough decision to delay the shipment of our much anticipated Arcade1UP digital pinball.

Our initial goal to deliver these before the end of the year will not be realized. That said, we want to ensure we deliver the best possible product that we can. We would rather push back shipments by a few weeks and get it right, because that is what our fans and this community deserve.

Our pinball is now slated to leave our factories over the next few weeks and will arrive in the new year instead of the anticipated holiday release.

Existing Arcade1Up digital pinball pre-orders will be fulfilled in Jan/Feb and we aim to roll out the iconic Arcade1Up Attack From Mars digital pinball pre-orders within that window as well. Any updates or progress will be communicated through our official pages.

We know this is not great news for those excited about the release, but we believe you will love the product when it arrives. Please let us know of any questions and we will be sure to address them in a timely manner.

My best friend has been eagerly anticipating the Attack from Mars cab, so he was pretty bummed by the news.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I wish these had a Japanese button layout version. I really don't like how wide the buttons are spread on the American style cabinets.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for posting your thoughts on it. Your comments about the ease of assemble echo a video reviewer's thoughts I saw on Reddit; I guess he had just put together a new Mrs Pac-Man cab and there were a lot of QA issues with holes not aligning and gaps, but he said the Marvel cab went together buttery smooth. So that's nice to know.

I guess I didn't look closely enough at the controls to know it had a bat-top. Sanwa clone controls are good-enough for me for now though I might look at replacing them down the line. I think I'll swap the bat for a ball though soon. I'm not someone who's ever really felt comfortable with arcade controls and have played fighting games mainly on controllers but I'd much rather have a balltop than a bat.

The stool not being adjustable is a bit of a bummer. I love the Marvel art on it too but really wish it had something more MvC-ish than just some of the Marvel side. Does it at least feel sturdy? I'm a bigger guy and would hate for it to feel like I couldn't use it for fear of it breaking.

I kind of figured your closing thoughts would be what most people wound up thinking, that the Marvel cab is nice but not necessarily worth a hundred bucks more over the XvSF one, especially when I've seen more people say they don't like the light-up deck protectors than people who do like them. The MvC art on the cab could be literally the only difference though between the two and the money would be worth it because I'm a diehard MvC fan.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The stool not being adjustable is a bit of a bummer. I love the Marvel art on it too but really wish it had something more MvC-ish than just some of the Marvel side. Does it at least feel sturdy? I'm a bigger guy and would hate for it to feel like I couldn't use it for fear of it breaking.

The stool does feel pretty solid.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Well my unit came after all, UPS guy even helped me carry it up our stairs. I'm just getting assembly done now, and it looks great! I'll probably be replacing the sticks though. I'll see how they feel with 4lb springs and oversized actuators in them first, but likely put sanwas in as it's a pretty simple swap.

I wish we had scanline options (I like some 25% filters) and I don't know who thought it was a good idea to include a crappy snes platformer over Children of the Atom on the game list. People coming to this cabinet are interested in fighters. Could it have been a licensing thing? It seems strange that each cab got a different crappy snes game instead of the full fighter library.

The stool feels pretty good and I imagine it could support bigger people(I'm 6 foot, 255lb) as long as they can reasonably sit on a regular bar stool.

As a big MSH vs. SF fan(It was the game my friends and I played the most on Saturn) I'm glad to have it on here, but I can easily see the xm vs sf cab being a better buy for most folks, just don't get it without a riser, or at least without plans to make one of your own.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Both half enjoying reading these impressions and half despairing because who knows if we'll ever get them in Europe. So far in the UK we only have Pac-man, SF2, MK and Turtles and only via one retailer.

Hope you're all enjoying them!

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks Teh_Lurv and Cleve for more impressions of the stool. I'm not someone who breaks barstools or can't fit in normal chairs or anything but I have sat on some cheaper stools that have weak rivets. I figured the stools might be a spot they cheap out on but it appears not. Good to hear!

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
An update regarding my MvC cabinet: As I wrote in my prior post, my control deck plexi-cover came out of box with patches of fine scratches which mar the look of the control deck when the LED lights are on. I noticed a couple other people over on the A1U reddit page also complaining about scratches on their covers, so mine isn't an isolated case. I put in a warranty ticket today with A1U and already heard back that they'll send me a replacement cover.

So if anyone buys a MvC or XvSF cabinet and finds the plexi-cover scuffed up out of the box, put in a ticket immediately with A1U.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Thank you guys for the impressions! I hope I can buy the MVC cabinet in the future...or hopefully Capcom will answer my wishes about the MVC collection on all platforms. :D

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
All right, got the cab put together along with installing the light-up marquee in my TMNT cab. (please ignore the hole in the wall and messy cable management lol)

ardcade11u-p.png

Here's a tiny clip of them in their attract modes.

Here's are some thoughts after putting about a few hours into the MvC cab. Spoiler'd to condense my post.

- This was far easier to assemble compared to the TMNT cab. Took me about an hour and a half as opposed to the three or four it did for TMNT.

- The cab and riser's artwork is GORGEOUS. Thank god they didn't use the original panel artwork (or lack thereof) for this.

- The stool, like the TMNT one, had uneven legs. Thank god for the plastic discs they come with to even them out. Still odd that they didn't include any of the Capcom characters on it. Also, neither of these seats swivel which is kinda crappy considering they cost $80 a pop on their own. Thank god I got my TMNT stool from GameStop's BF sale for $30. lol

- The sticks and buttons are surprisingly decent and are feel a bit higher quality than TMNT's. Don't really have much trouble pulling off any moves or anything. However...

- I tried to open up the control deck to install a 2lb spring and octagonal gate in the player one stick but it seems to be stuck despite me having taken out all of the screws? I didn't want to tempt fate and break anything so I gave up. :(

- Deck protector was slightly scratched in a few places but I don't see myself using the light-up feature enough and I can't see them without it. Like, the light-up feature is neat and all but I find it a bit too distracting when playing.

- Light up marquees are pretty neat but a bit washed out with some uneven light distribution with the MvC one being better one of the two. It was a pain disassembling the TMNT cab to install the marquee but it does make a difference in terms of aesthetics and arcade "authenticity." The asking price for one of these marquees, if they're not included with the cab, are WAY too high for what you get, though. These should be like $30 or $40, not the $80 Arcade1Up is charging on their site. The TMNT one also doesn't sit flush with the cab since it sticks out just a tiny bit more than the original non-lit marquee.

- Emulation seems pretty good though I did notice a few visual glitches. For example: In Marvel Super Heroes during Blackheart's stage the black hole portion of the sky seems to break up when the screen moves. You can see this in the opening intro. Besides that there doesn't seem to be anything game breaking here.

- There are dip switch settings! It's nice to have the difficulty options but they (along with the high scores) don't seem to save when the machine is turned off. Makes sense because I don't think the high scores were saved on the original machines when they were turned off, either. Also it would've been nice to have a scanlines option like the other recent Aracde1Up cabs!

- War of the Gems. I didn't care for this game back in the day and while its a neat little bonus feature I would rather have CotA to at least complete the pre-MvC2 lineup.

- My online impressions are non-existant as I haven't played online yet. I'm so damn rusty at these games that I'm practicing for awhile before I hop on. lol

- YO WHY ISN'T THERE A SAKURA AVATAR? :(

All in all if you love the Versus series, the cab is fucking awesome with some minor nitpicks.

Fuck its weird to have a little arcade in my room. Just need neon lights, space-themed carpet and some Jock Jams playing to really get that 90s arcade atmosphere going. lol

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this has been shared in the thread yet, but A1U put out an update regarding the digital pinball (it's delayed) on their Facebook page:

A1U put out another FB statement providing a more detailed explanation for the pinball machine and other product delays. It looks like the shipment literally got lost at sea:

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
A1U put out another FB statement providing a more detailed explanation for the pinball machine and other product delays. It looks like the shipment literally got lost at sea:

Oh wow, I was just reading about that ship yesterday because a lot of people waiting on board game Kickstarters are anxious and paranoid that games in transit might have been on that ship (only one game specifically that I know of is now delayed because they lost a bunch of product on that ship but comments on a lot of other projects are about this ship). Yeah, if Arcade1Up had stuff on that one, there will def be some delays.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Got mine, was thinking of setting it up in my garage gym. Living in so-cal I figured the cabinet could handle being outside but I haven't decided yet. If you live near woodland hills, best buy still has a few available, MVC, not sure about XMvsSF.

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever go back and add online to the TMNT and MK cabinets for a revision or anything? Those are the ones I really want. but the lack of online kept me from buying them

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Did they ever go back and add online to the TMNT and MK cabinets for a revision or anything? Those are the ones I really want. but the lack of online kept me from buying them

Nope. I do think there's a USB port on the PCB so maybe it can be updated for some stuff but there's no Wi-Fi antennae so it ain't happening unless they re-release an updated cab. Online TMNT multiplayer would be fantastic, though!

I've tried two online matches in MvC. One of them was a teleporting choppy mess. The other went fine with minimal lag but I still had my ass handed to me by someone who is obviously a higher level player. lol

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

Street Fighter supposedly is getting an online revision next year, so Mortal Kombat could as well. But I wouldn't expect any revisions of the TMNT cabinet. IIRC, John D replied when asked about TMNT that the licensing expired to produce that cabinet.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking about grabbing these decals to go on my Marvel cab when it arrives.
This one goes on the kickplate: https://www.etsy.com/listing/905837...com&ref=sr_gallery-1-3&organic_search_click=1
And then this one for the riser: https://www.etsy.com/listing/824327...f=sr_gallery-1-6&organic_search_click=1&frs=1
There is also a cool bezel decal that has movelists like the regular one has but doesn't have that awful plate metal background that I'm thinking I could get as well. Not sure though; octagonal gates will come before any decals or anything else like they.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
My MvC cab is supposed to arrive today. It wasn't supposed to be delivered until the middle of the week so I thought I had time to order some octagonal gates and two ball tops. Oops. Maybe I should have bought those already instead of the MvC dust covers I bought for the sticks. Now I've gotta decide if I want to go ahead and assemble it or leave it in the box until the gates show up in two days.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Wife got me the Ms. Pac Man can and riser for XMas....beyond stoked, can't wait to put it together and play! I'm especially excited now that there's a patch for Turbo Ms. Pac...

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Wife got me the Ms. Pac Man can and riser for XMas....beyond stoked, can't wait to put it together and play! I'm especially excited now that there's a patch for Turbo Ms. Pac...
My wife got me the sitdown head to head Ms. Pac Man. Been enjoying it. I am now looking at getting the sit down Outrun Cabinet.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I wish I hadn't slept on getting the MvC cab. It's sold out on Best Buy and going for 2x (or more) its retail price on eBay only, now. I ran out of space for cabs in my game room, and haven't made any moves to sell and/or consolidate with newer cabs.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Yeah, that sucks. Its why I pre-ordered the cab since I figured it'd eventually become hard to find... I just didn't expect them to discontinue it that quickly. Like you can still find the exclusive TMNT cab at some Wal-Marts and that came out over a year ago, its crazy.