Oct 25, 2017
Freaky ass Covid- they a 19 flu

edit: i tried

On serious note i hope it doesnt surge too much

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The symptoms aren't really any different from past covid strains, meaning people are going to confuse it with other infections and shrug it off. And given how lax people are about basic precautions now (I'm basically the only one wearing a mask anymore,) I'd put money down on a decent surge.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wow, still part of the Omicron family. Kinda impressive.

If I got the most recent vaccine/booster a few months ago, (the XBB one) am I still good? I don't think there's an updated one yet.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Wow, still part of the Omicron family. Kinda impressive.

If I got the most recent vaccine/booster a few months ago, (the XBB one) am I still good? I don't think there's an updated one yet.
You should be good if it was only a few months ago.

The symptoms aren't really any different from past covid strains, meaning people are going to confuse it with other infections and shrug it off. And given how lax people are about basic precautions now (I'm basically the only one wearing a mask anymore,) I'd put money down on a decent surge.
It really surprises me more people don't use masks in hospitals or on the plane/at the airport etc. I even wear them to the supermarket still.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Do regular Covid tests detect it? My wife and I had something that lasted over 2 weeks. Still lingering in my wife. But Covid test came back negative.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think guidance on boosters is kinda weird. The government needs to be clearer.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
The symptoms of the FLiRT variants are similar to those caused by JN.1, which include:

Sore throat

Cough

Fatigue

Congestion

Runny nose

Headache

Muscle aches

Fever or chills

New loss of sense of taste or smell

Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing

Nausea or vomiting

Diarrhea

According to the CDC, the type and severity of symptoms a person experiences usually depend more on a person's underlying health and immunity rather than the variant that caused the infection.

Similar to JN.1 and other omicron subvariants, the FLiRT variants seem to be causing milder infections, says Schaffer.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
You should be good if it was only a few months ago.

It really surprises me more people don't use masks in hospitals or on the plane/at the airport etc. I even wear them to the supermarket still.

I mean you had people not taking it super seriously when it was wiping people out. Now that we aren't close to that it's not surprising. People moved on quite a while ago for better or worse.

At least where I'm at in the U.S. we're officially at a point where seeing someone in a mask is rare.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Same here. I primarily do so now because it helps temper my allergies; ever since covid, I haven't had my usual yearly sinus infection. The fact that it also helps against other respiratory illnesses doesn't hurt either

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
It's an Omicron variant. So more of the same "mild" Covid symptoms, at least compared to OG and Delta. Covid hospital report rates are at the lowest they've been since the little bastard appeared 4ish years ago. It'll continue to drop. Bird Flu is the new hotness.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I have a mild something right now. My test came back negative, but I have no idea if these home tests are even up to date to accurately detect newer variants. I thought it was allergies for the first couple of days, but then I had a mild fever last night.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually the only person out and about with a mask on, but at least people are resigned to it now and I'm not getting dirty looks.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's largely attributed to 2 added spike mutations: F for L at position 456 and R for T at position 346, which has been nicknamed the FLiRT group of variants​

OK I get why the scientists couldn't help themselves.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if it's what my 2 year old has.

Wed night/Thurs had a mild fever, but has had clear congestion and mild cough through the weekend. She can't get good sleep (and thus neither are we). Motrin has helped when it kicks in but she's miserable in waves.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024
Even OG covid was mild for me. I think I felt weird for a few hours. I haven't had any boosters in a few years I think, since whenever the last government free one.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
I have a mild something right now. My test came back negative, but I have no idea if these home tests are even up to date to accurately detect newer variants. I thought it was allergies for the first couple of days, but then I had a mild fever last night.
I've read that the tests should still pick up new variants, yes. As a side point it's worth checking the expiry date on your tests If you've had them a while.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Would this new variant show up on current COVID tests?

Do regular Covid tests detect it? My wife and I had something that lasted over 2 weeks. Still lingering in my wife. But Covid test came back negative.

The tests still work, they don't target the spike protein (which is what typically changes), but the N protein.

Despite these inherent limitations, our team has demonstrated that these tests perform as well in 2024 as they did earlier in the pandemic, when different variants were circulating – even though our initial study was completed in January 2022. That's because the virus protein detected by antigen tests has not changed much over the last two years, unlike other parts of the virus that have undergone many mutations. Another study, which tested the accuracy of rapid antigen tests from 2020 to 2022, found similar results.

www.umassmed.edu

COVID-19 rapid tests still work against new variants

In an article for The Conversation, Nate Hafer, PhD, and Apurv Soni, MD, PhD’21, answer common questions related to how COVID-19 antigen tests perform against new variants. Anuradha Rao, PhD, assistant professor of pediatrics at Emory University also contributed to the article.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Guess I'm lucky I got Covid back in February should still have some built up immunity till my next booster.

Bengraven