• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Damn... that room is going to blind people
ledegif.gif

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Love the cover echoes the MGM laserdisc.
Dislike that for some reason Dolby Vision needs to be bolded everywhere.
Is it for people with sight problems now?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So... I need a new TV I see! I'll be all over this, that ending with HDR will be quite something!

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Mastered from original 65mm prints? Good. It would be incedible if this 50 year old film had almost reference PQ. I'm sure it probably won't but I hope it gets close. Just need a 4K Jaws, 4K Once Upon a time in the West, and a 4K Seven Samurai (which will probably never happen nor is really needed, but still) and my top 5 films will all be represented. Already have a 4K Blade Runner.
Any recommendations for a 4k Blu-ray player?
How much do you want to spend? I recently got a Sony UBP X700 for ÂŁ185 which has Dolby Vision. Some issues with the DV firmware upgrade such as affecting 3D playback and no auto DV playback. But it's a very good player. For ÂŁ90 or so more you can get the UBP X800. Not sure of the differences though.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Since they're using that trailer again, I guess this thing is really going to look like that, with a modern teal filter slathered on top of it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
YES! The Blu Ray was stunning for its time, but is showing its age. This is going to look amazing.

The Mad Mango

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say I didn't think the new 70mm print looked too hot compared to the Blu-Ray. If they're using that as a base for the UHD, that's a bit unfortunate.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hope that trailer isn't a good representation of what the print looks like. Banding like hell. I'm willing to hold judgement as this is probably on youtube's end.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why no atmos? Of all the movies that've gotten Atmos this should have been one of them.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even like this movie but I would buy it if they had a 4k steelbook. I'll just get it for cheap on digital instead

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does implementing HDR on this work? Does it get closer to how the actual film should look projected? Or do they artificially dim/brighten the film in post production and add more colors?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
holy shiiiiitttt. October 10th is my birthday! Literally could not ask for a better birthday gift.

edit - wait... the actual article says it comes out 10/30... Damn you OP!

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
How does implementing HDR on this work? Does it get closer to how the actual film should look projected? Or do they artificially dim/brighten the film in post production and add more colors?

That what i was wondering to. To be honest i feel HDR is such a vague concept, nobody really knows how it should look like. You can absolutely show a super contrasted material with blown out white peaks and people will be like "HDR is amazing"
The only instances where i saw hdr content and i could feel it was something next gen was some documentary or demo stuff of nature that have that surreal depth and clarity. That's what i see as proper hdr, but i've not really seen that in a movie yet.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The reviews are out and are glowing.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/2001-A-Space-Odyssey-4K-Blu-ray/198119/#Review

2001: A Space Odyssey is presented on 4K UHD courtesy of Warner Brothers Home Entertainment with a 2160p transfer in 2.20:1, and already that aspect ratio should be an early tipoff that things are definitely "new and improved" from the long ago Blu-ray release. As is documented in an actually fascinating two page "history" of the restoration provided by Warner's Stuart Herriott for this release, "the 2018 release contains correct picture aspect ratio as it was scanned directly from the 65mm original negative which is spherical (flat) versus anamorphic (scope). The 35mm anamorphic (scope) reduction that was scanned for the 2000 and 2007 releases contained a little more information on the left and right of the frame then [sic] was intended for 2.2 70mm projection aspect ratio. Also, the optical scope reduction added a slight amount of linear image distortion, which is not present in the 65mm spherical camera negative." Mr. Herriott's detailed accounting of the long and involved restoration process, which Mr. Herriott traces back to photochemical work begun in 1999 (if I'm understanding things correctly) makes it clear that Warner, typically a commendable curator of its catalog, has approached this title with the care and handling that it deserves, and those who were fearful of Christopher Nolan's perceived "revisionism" can probably relax. So, with that out of the way: how does the darned thing look? Pretty spectacular in sum, though as Mr. Herriott also gets into, those who are going to utilize previous home video releases as the standard against which this release is measured may quibble with some aspects, notably the color timing, which is noticeably different in some respects from previous releases. As Mr. Herriott mentions, "audiences may be most familiar with previous home video releases. . .and may be struck by some of the differences. However, the newly remastered version has been scanned and timed to directly match the original film release, rather than the previous home video master." Some of the most noticeable differences happen right off the bat in The Dawn of Man sequence, where there's a slightly more desaturated look, with a brighter overall ambience that tends to make skies paler. But there are some interesting new changes here, albeit often on minor things like the weirdly mid(21st?)century modern chairs on the space station, which have a kind of crimson tone to them now. Restoration efforts have also eliminated some of the projection effect anomalies that were prevalent in previous versions, and I frankly noticed none of the admittedly minor speckling and dirt that were in evidence on the previous Blu-ray release. Detail levels are superb throughout the presentation, and there's a nicely organic looking grain field, one that spikes expectedly in many of the optical effects, but which resolves without any issues whatsoever. Blacks looked solid and (for those who may have feared) unboosted, and the entire palette looks appealingly saturated, and what Mr. Herriott terms as "luminance and color" dropping at the sides of the image on the older version has been eliminated. The psychedelic climax is bold and vivid and certainly better detailed than I remember seeing in 35mm reduction prints.

The 4K UHD presentation takes an already stellar (sorry) 1080p Blu-ray and delivers even more fine detail and (especially) shadow detail, as well as an often spectacularly suffused palette. I noticed all sorts of new information watching the film in 4K, much of it admittedly minor things like some of the information on the displays in the Discovery One, or even some of the background set dressing in the pod that Dave and Frank think they're "hiding out" in. Fine detail remains remarkably intact even given some of the rather severe lighting, especially reds, that suffuse so many of the space set scenes. In fact, one of the "reddest" scenes, the "decommissioning" of HAL, offers really superb fine detail on Dave's face, this despite not just the slathering of red hues, but the fact that he's in a space helmet. Other "helmet" based items like the sudden aging Dave is subject to in the big finale are also noticeably more detailed. Grain is finely resolved throughout this 4K presentation, appearing arguably a bit more variable in terms of intensities and thickness than in the 1080p version. The palette attains some really interesting new highlights courtesy of Dolby Vision. The opening Dawn of Man sequence has a kind of gray-sepia tone in this version that isn't quite as prevalent in the 1080p version, but some of the later sequences, like Dr. Floyd arriving at the monolith on the moon, almost mimic black and white films for a moment or two, with an emphasis on silvers and grays. As mentioned above, the incredible reds scattered throughout this presentation were one of the most memorable elements of the 4K presentation, and the whole final hallucinogenic ride through the lightshow and then the weirdly altered landscapes are also better detailed now, with an incredibly vivid (if weirdly skewed) palette. Younger viewers more used to digital capture may feel this is soft at times, a kind of ironic reaction to the incredible detail a large format offers, but those who have seen 2001: A Space Odyssey projected and want their home media to replicate that appearance will most likely find this a very enjoyable and worthwhile viewing experience.

Also: that dumb trailer was misleading, thankfully the restoration doesn't look like that. The color timing is still different (supposedly closer to what is intended) but it doesn't feature that terrible widespread teal/green filter.
https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=12509&d2=12508&s1=124254&s2=124240&i=15&l=0&a=0