• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Here and Now from HBO will neither be here nor now. HBO cancelled its only season.

Disappointing, but somewhat expected. Old HBO seemed to be a better place for creatives (where everything got at least 2 seasons), but new HBO seems to be a better run business (though I still question the practice of cancelling shows prematurely without any sort of wrap up - in an era where everyone and their brother seems to be interested in building a robust catalog of series to attract subscribers, no one is going to want to waste their time with incomplete narratives. Or maybe most people just aren't bothered when a show abruptly ends?).

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Here and Now from HBO will neither be here nor now. HBO cancelled its only season.

Zero surprise on this axing given the pathetic ratings and complete lack of buzz. The finale pretty much answered the central mystery of the show so I don't even think it really needed to continue anyway, though I would've watched another season.

HBO is only good for comedies now, none of their current dramas are particularly noteworthy. I mean, what do they really have? Two mediocre genre shows, the weakest David Simon joint and Nicky Pizza's third attempt to make something that doesn't suck...yawn.

Maybe Sharp Objects will be good, since the book was decent.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing, but somewhat expected. Old HBO seemed to be a better place for creatives (where everything got at least 2 seasons)
Tell that to John from Cincinnati.
no one is going to want to waste their time with incomplete narratives. Or maybe most people just aren't bothered when a show abruptly ends?
Hmm it would be neat to see some data about how shows with an ending fare compare to shows without one. Like I'll watch a show knowing it will end on a cliffhanger, I'll just be slightly miffed about it.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
HBO hates Milch u___u
A lot Some of it is self inflicted to be fair.
Same. It's one of the biggest unknown TV things I'm curious about. Like, I'm sure Netflix has that data for their own shows, but we ain't getting that anytime soon.
Yeah, the lack of data from streaming services is really annoying. I wanna know stuff dammit. ;_;
But that Deadwood movie will start shooting any day now...
It has been granted a California tax credit... so it could theoretically happen... look if Gilliam was able to finish The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (even if it doesn't look good and he got a bit #metoo:ed in the process) the Deadwood film could happen.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of HBO, I wonder what's going on with Divorce? The season ended a while ago and they haven't announced its fate yet. It performed (fairly) well in the ratings, so I figured it'd be a lock for renewal...

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
HBO's drama slate is looking pretty damn dire tbh. Amongst the upcoming stuff all that excites me are miniseries (then again they renewed Big Little Lies which was advertised as limited) and Lovecraft Country.

Speaking of HBO, I wonder what's going on with Divorce? The season ended a while ago and they haven't announced its fate yet. It performed (fairly) well in the ratings, so I figured it'd be a lock for renewal...
The showrunner seemed confident about a season 3 from what I can gather but it's a bit weird it hasn't been officially renewed.
I'm hoping so! Maybe the True Detective collaboration was a test run before Deadwood and bringing back that traditional relationship.

I'm optimistic about it, for now at least!
The (attempted) joke was that we should be hoping for HBO to cancel more of the projects he's involved with. True Dick season 2 was so bad and I'm not sure Pizzolatto learned his lesson (especially with a director quitting)

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
HBO's drama slate is looking pretty damn dire tbh. Amongst the upcoming stuff all that excites me are miniseries (then again they renewed Big Little Lies which was advertised as limited) and Lovecraft Country.

The showrunner seemed confident about a season 3 from what I can gather but it's a bit weird it hasn't been officially renewed.

The (attempted) joke was that we should be hoping for HBO to cancel more of the projects he's involved with. True Dick season 2 was so bad and I'm not sure Pizzolatto learned his lesson (especially with a director quitting)

Ah, true true. Saulnier leaving early is definitely not great, especially with the accompanying tweet.

I'm sad all of his HBO Faulkner projects haven't been seeing the light of day, it's been four years and it's been super quiet.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad all of his HBO Faulkner projects haven't been seeing the light of day, it's been four years and it's been super quiet.
They are with David Simon's Legacy of Ashes. Super dead.

Latest thing Milch was working on that wasn't Deadwood was Shadow Country... and HBO passed on it.

tbh, it would probably be better for all involved just to cut ties completely at this point.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Latest thing Milch was working on that wasn't Deadwood was Shadow Country... and HBO passed on it.

tbh, it would probably be better for all involved just to cut ties completely at this point.

It's sadly hilarious that Milch's 'The Money'

about wealth and corruption among the super elite, focusing on American mogul and patriarch James Castman, who wields power and influence to expand his media empire and control his family.

was passed on and yet a short time later they ordered 'Succession'

which tracks the lives of the Roy family as they contemplate their future once their aging father begins to step back from the media and entertainment conglomerate they control.

to series even though it sounds like the exact same show XD

Oct 25, 2017
So I just started watching 9-1-1.....

Chicago Fire
e71411cb3d2512603724bbe14f992522.jpg

9-1-1
firefighter-dab-dabbing-firefighter.png

Oct 25, 2017
LOL
like not only is it extremely silly(noobie taking the truck out alone to pick up chicks, etc) everything is so nice neat and perfect looking compared to Chicago Fire's used look.
NUP_175988_0102_FULL.jpg

911-S1_EP110-Sc25-MB_0450_hires2_FULL.jpg

Its an element I didn't notice that I really appreciated about Chicago Fire till now.

Im going to stick with it a bit though because I like Angela Bassett a lot at least.

Last edited:

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Adweek/Nielsen take a crack at quantifying Netflix popularity: Stranger Things Had the Most-Watched Debut of Any New Netflix Series or Movie in the Last Year
Nielsen has been gathering data about Netflix viewership for almost a year via its SVOD Content Ratings, a syndicated service that measures content from subscription video on demand services. At present, however, the service only provides ratings for Netflix content on connected TV devices like Roku, Apple TV, video game consoles and smart TVs (which accounts for around 75 percent of SVOD viewing).

For the first time, Nielsen stacked Netflix's biggest series and movie premieres from over the past year against one another to compare their average audience viewership during the first day. Stranger Things dominated its competition, with three times as much premiere day viewing (almost 25 million, across all Season 2 episodes) as its closest competitor, Marvel's Defenders. (Again, this data only represents TV viewing during the premiere day, not total ratings to date.)

dVS6sY6.jpg

"It's a huge event that appealed to a very broad group of people," said Brian Fuhrer, Nielsen's svp of product leadership.

Stranger Things was also the clear leader in reach: 8.9 million people watched at least six minutes of one episode during its premiere day. The Will Smith movie Bright had a premiere day reach of 5.4 million, while The Crown tallied 1.6 million. The Cloverfield Paradox, which Netflix dropped immediately after the Super Bowl, had a 1.0 million reach on its first day of release.

Fuhrer noted that most of Netflix's biggest debuts during the past year had wildly different audience compositions, more evidence of the streaming service's efforts to be all things to all people:
There's a bunch of other info the article if anyone is interested.

Oct 27, 2017
In regards to the issues again with Crawford on Lethal Weapon, there are a couple of things that are head-scratchers and I don't believe are necessarily Crawford's fault, or at least only his fault. And both are related to Wayans.

The first one is refusing to do certain actions (holding a gun, running down stairs) because he feels it's unsafe? I would assume the crew who reviewed the set for safety gave the clear it was ok to film, including holding a gun/running down stairs. Once the ok was given, then it's Wayan's responsibility to do his job (what he's paid for) and act whatever it says in the script.

All that was from one specific episode, on which he had already been injured (directed by Crawford). The running down stairs could have to do with said injury?

Oct 25, 2017
LOL
like not only is it extremely silly(noobie taking the truck out alone to pick up chicks, etc) everything is so nice neat and perfect looking compared to Chicago Fire's used look.
NUP_175988_0102_FULL.jpg

911-S1_EP110-Sc25-MB_0450_hires2_FULL.jpg

Its an element I didn't notice that I really appreciated about Chicago Fire till now.

Im going to stick with it a bit though because I like Angela Bassett a lot at least.

I like 9-1-1's variety and storylines. Also Buck is hot.

Oct 25, 2017
s3 designated survivor when

http://programminginsider.com/live7...-leads-all-of-broadcast-in-percentage-boosts/
Top 40 programs in Live+7 Day raw gains among total viewers

#1 Roseanne (ABC, Tue. 4/10/18) +6.343M (L+SD: 13.770M; L+7: 20.113M)
#2 The Big Bang Theory (CBS, Thu. 4/12/18) +4.775M (L+SD: 12.775M; L+7: 17.550M)
#3 Chicago Fire (NBC, Thu. 4/12/18) +4.115M (L+SD: 5.641M; L+7: 9.756M)
#4 Designated Survivor (ABC, Wed. 4/11/18) +4.107M (L+SD: 3.280M; L+7: 7.387M)

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
HBO's drama slate is looking pretty damn dire tbh.
I was going to call bullshit on this, but then I checked the wikipedia list and was underwhelmed. It's disappointing because they line up a lot of interesting projects amidst their never-ending starfucking, but most of it stalls out in development. That being said, Lovecraft Country could be quite good and there's a few things like Cortes that have been announced (but will probably never see the light of day.) Oh well, it's not as if there's a lack of quality programming on television at the moment.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first anything Heathers related posted since February 28:

(nothing was posted on any of the Paramount Network social channels)

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix Orders Sci-Fi Drama Series 'Another Life' Starring Katee Sackhoff
Battlestar Galactica alumna Katee Sackhoff is going back to space as the lead of Another Life. Netflix has given a 10-episode order to the sci-fi drama series, from Alias Grace producer Halfire Entertainment.

Series, Standup Specials
Created by Aaron Martin (Slasher, Saving Hope, DeGrassi: The Next Generation), who also serves as showrunner, Another Life centers on astronaut Niko Breckinridge (Sackhoff) who is focused on searching for alien intelligence. She leads a crew on a mission to explore the genesis of an alien artifact. As Niko and her young crew investigate, they face unimaginable danger on what might very well be a one-way mission.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Lovecraft Country:

'Lovecraft Country': Jurnee Smollett-Bell To Star In HBO Series From Jordan Peele, J.J. Abrams & Misha Green
Former Underground star Jurnee Smollett-Bell is set as the female lead in HBO's high-profile straight-to-series drama Lovecraft Country, from Oscar winner Jordan Peele and his Monkeypaw Productions, J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot and Warner Bros Television. The project reunites Smollett-Bell with Underground co-creator Misha Green, writer and executive producer of Lovecraft Country. Lovecraft also brings the actress back to HBO where she was a series regular on the last two seasons of hit vampire drama True Blood. Smollett-Bell chose the HBO project after fielding multiple broadcast pilot offers.

Penned by Green based on the 2016 novel by Matt Ruff, Lovecraft Country follows Atticus Black as he joins up with his friend Letitia (Smollett-Bell) and his Uncle George to embark on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America in search of his missing father. Thus begins a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America and the terrifying monsters that could be ripped from a Lovecraft paperback.

Smollett-Bell's Letitia "Leti" Dandridge hustled her way across the country as an artist protesting for civil rights and now finds herself back home looking to plant some roots.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
really liked the 2 and half episodes of Happy I saw this morning, for those taht recomended it. Highly original, very crazy and entertainming. Is it a one and done or have they talked renewals?

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
really liked the 2 and half episodes of Happy I saw this morning, for those taht recomended it. Highly original, very crazy and entertainming. Is it a one and done or have they talked renewals?
It was renewed a couple months ago.

I think I saw the first three and more or less enjoyed it. I just cleared the rest from my DVR since it apparently went up on Netflix.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first anything Heathers related posted since February 28:

(nothing was posted on any of the Paramount Network social channels)

Cute.

Nice! It would be cool if Misha Green could wrangle up as many of the Underground cast as possible for this.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
interesting, does a second season of Happy even make sense given the premise? guess ill have to watch the rest to find out.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds really interesting, wonder if its based on anything. I am IN for more Starbuck in space!!

On the other hand, that plot is also similar to Halle Berry's Extant which was absolutely terrible.

At first I thought it was based on the Faster than Light comic which is supposedly getting a TV adaptation since the story synopsis sounds the same but I realized it's a different production company.
Faster than Light got cancelled after only 10 issues though so that's probably not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.