• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuller is really on a one way trip to no one in town wanting to work with him after he was basically handed the keys to the kingdom. Sad to see happen.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
One day you'll see a revival of Hannibal gets picked up and a few months later he'll leave it.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is he just hard to work with, or is he just playing chicken with the networks about his vision and always losing?

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Well that Fuller news is not too surprising. Christoper Rice tweeted out the first page of the script a while back and Fuller's name was nowhere to be seen so I assumed then that he had left.

Is he just hard to work with, or is he just playing chicken with the networks about his vision and always losing?
No network was attached to it, and it was always a Christopher Rice led joint. People just went hard with the Fuller connection because he's the bigger name. So it's more likely Rice/Fuller drama (if there was any drama) than network/Fuller drama.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know for a fact that on at least one of these it was absolutely executives interfering in his creative vision, but I can't imagine it was that for all four shows he has left in the last year or so. So it's definitely starting to seem like he just doesn't play well/refuses to compromise with Executives, which will make it increasingly tough for him to get these kinds of positions.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Casting the mom was easy, but the sister and the grandmother are absolutely perfect.
I had no idea she was Metcalf's daughter until I looked it up. I still remember thinking how freaky it was they found a younger lookalike. lol

Also what the heck is Genius and why are they subjecting kids to it??

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Good Girls renewed for season 2 by NBC

NBC has also picked up 2 more series (in addition to New Amsterdam)

The Village

In The Village, The people who reside the building have built a bonded family of friends and neighbors. Sarah's a nurse and single mom raising a creative teen; Gabe's a young law student who got a much older and unexpected roommate; Ava must secure the future of her young, U.S.-born son when ICE comes knocking; Nick's a veteran who's returned from war; and the heart and soul of the building, Ron and Patricia, have captivating tales all their own. These are the hopeful, heartwarming and challenging stories of life that prove family is everything — even if it's the one you make with the people around you.

The cast includes Moran Atias, Chianese, Warren Christie, Frankie Faison, Jerod Haynes, Daren Kagasoff, Michaela McManus, Lorraine Toussaint and Grace Van Dien.

The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within is a fast-paced thriller set in the world of counterintelligence. It centers on Erica Shepherd, a brilliant former CIA operative, now known as the most notorious traitor in American history serving life in a Supermax prison. Against every fiber of his being but with nowhere else to turn, FBI Agent Will Keaton enlists Shepherd to help track down a fiercely dangerous and elusive criminal she knows all too well. For Keaton, it's not easy to trust the woman who cost him so much. While Shepherd and Keaton have different motivations for bringing the enemy to justice, they both know that to catch a spy… they must think like one.

The Village sounds like something they'll pair with This is Us.

Last edited:
OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Vanity Fair: Is Peak TV Slowly Killing TV Critics?
M. Night Shyamalan busted Margaret Lyons's streak in 2015. The current New York Times TV critic had been reviewing television shows for a decade for various publications including Entertainment Weekly and New York magazine's Vulture, priding herself on never having missed a scripted network pilot. For 10 years, as the television universe proliferated wildly, she had watched every single one that came her way: drama, comedy; half-hour, hour; multi-cam, single-cam. Then came Wayward Pines.

"That show broke me," she said of Shyamalan's mystery series starring Matt Dillon and Carla Gugino that went on to last 20 episodes on Fox. "I just wasn't interested in it, and I knew my dumb streak had to come to an end eventually."
Critics are working longer hours, producing more perfunctory, less eloquent work, and often casting aside shows that really need critical support in favor of high-profile shows that are not nearly as review-dependent. Case in point: the latest season of Game of Thrones generated 12 reviews on Metacritic compared with Netflix's new documentary series Dirty Money, which debuted in January and generated only six.

It's a pretty good look into what it takes to be a critic in the age of Peak TV.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Dirty Money is a dumb comparison for Game of Thrones considering it's a documentary and most scripted TV critics don't really cover that sub-industry.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Dirty Money is a dumb comparison for Game of Thrones considering it's a documentary and most scripted TV critics don't really cover that sub-industry.
Yeah it's an odd example but I agree with the point. There is a better example in the article where a critic discovers how good Please Like Me (and it is so good) is after the first season has aired, but it was a less convenient pull quote to cite here.

Oct 25, 2017
Good Girls renewed for season 2 by NBC

I really wanted to get into this show but just couldn't past after a few episodes

Vanity Fair: Is Peak TV Slowly Killing TV Critics?

It's a pretty good look into what it takes to be a critic in the age of Peak TV.

Sepinwall is much more blunt about it: "There is this idea now of everyone making these super, hyper-serialized shows, all of which have more episodes than the story can support, and it's a problem . . . Even shows that are not made for streaming services know they eventually are going to end up there so they are constructing themselves the same way, and it's just sort of this big jumbo plot. That particular type of storytelling is just not sustainable."

Damn, Alan still beating this drum and I'm glad he is. I think this article is spot on with the current problem of just so much content out there. A lot of people will dimiss the critics who move on quick, but as they note there is far too much to even begin to think about sitting through. Its a big reason why I'll just jump off a show, even if it's mid season, if it's not grabbing me.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, part of this is recap reviews being the standard form of TV reviewing. It's not like there are fewer movies being made and somehow film critics can survive going to like 5 different festivals each year to review 30+ films in a month (in addition to the shitty blockbusters that come out every week that they have to review as well).

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The CW

Renewed:

Supernatural
Arrow
The 100
The Flash
Jane the Virgin
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Supergirl
Riverdale
Black Lightning
Dynasty

Canceled:

The Originals
Life Sentence
Valor

TBD:

iZombie

NBC

Renewed:

This is Us
Will & Grace
The Good Place
Superstore
Good Girls

Canceled:

Taken

TBD:

Law & Order: SVU
Law & Order: True Crime
Chicago Fire
Chicago P.D.
Chicago Med
The Blacklist
Blindspot
Timeless
The Brave
A.P. Bio
Rise
Champions
Good News

Fox

Renewed:

The Simpsons
Empire
The Orville
The Gifted
9-1-1
The Resident

Canceled:

New Girl

TBD:

Family Guy
Bob's Burgers
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
The Last Man on Earth
Gotham
Lethal Weapon
Lucifer
Star
The Mick
The Exorcist
Ghosted
LA to Vegas

CBS

Renewed:

The Big Bang Theory
Young Sheldon
NCIS
NCIS: Los Angeles
NCIS: New Orleans
Blue Bloods
Hawaii Five-0
Mom
Madam Secretary
Bull
MacGyver
SEAL Team
SWAT

Canceled:

Me, Myself, and I
9JKL
Wisdom of the Crowd
Living Biblically

TBD:

Criminal Minds
Scorpion
Code Black
Life in Pieces
Kevin Can Wait
Man with a Plan
Superior Donuts
Ransom
Instinct

ABC

Renewed:

Grey's Anatomy
Modern Family
Roseanne
The Goldbergs
The Good Doctor

Canceled:

Once Upon A Time
Scandal
The Middle
The Mayor
Inhumans
Ten Days in the Valley

TBD:

Black-ish
Fresh Off the Boat
American Housewife
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD
How to Get Away with Murder
Speechless
Quantico
Designated Survivor
Kevin (Probably) Saves the World
Splitting Up Together
Deception
Station 19
For the People
The Crossing
Alex Inc.

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What's the current title about? Read the last 3 pages and must have missed it. Also lol the Fuller Express does not stop leaving the station.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This is Us had already been renewed for S2 and S3. Does this mean it's been renewed further? :D

Glad Kevin Can Wait is ending tonight, but it'll surely be renewed and is just the season finale. Man With a Plan hasn't had as many episodes this season, I guess, so it's not over this week which is nice.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Alan still beating this drum and I'm glad he is. I think this article is spot on with the current problem of just so much content out there. A lot of people will dimiss the critics who move on quick, but as they note there is far too much to even begin to think about sitting through. Its a big reason why I'll just jump off a show, even if it's mid season, if it's not grabbing me

I love Sepinwall but I continue to think this problem is critic-specific. I get why they don't always want hyper-serialized shows and I'm sympathetic how Netflix and the like bing-dumping an entire season in one day plays havoc with their preferred review format. But I don't see why it isn't sustainable.

Oct 25, 2017
I love Sepinwall but I continue to think this problem is critic-specific. I get why they don't always want hyper-serialized shows and I'm sympathetic how Netflix and the like bing-dumping an entire season in one day plays havoc with their preferred review format. But I don't see why it isn't sustainable.

I took his comment to be about the storytelling more than binge. He's praised of online only binge shows before.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I took his comment to be about the storytelling more than binge. He's praised of online only binge shows before.

But why aren't heavily serialized shows sustainable? The more classic mold is certainly a standalone hour show that sets and up resolves it's primary plot in an episode (even if some threads will carry forward to the future) and there is a lot to admire in that model and, not coincidentally, it lines up very nicely with the episodic review format that Sepinwall is a huge proponent of.

But why isn't it equally valid to take the book/chapters approach to serialized story telling on TV? We don't typically critique a novel on the basis of whether it's chapters are standalone.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
But why aren't heavily serialized shows sustainable? The more classic mold is certainly a standalone hour show that sets and up resolves it's primary plot in an episode (even if some threads will carry forward to the future) and there is a lot to admire in that model and, not coincidentally, it lines up very nicely with the episodic review format that Sepinwall is a huge proponent of.

But why isn't it equally valid to take the book/chapters approach to serialized story telling on TV? We don't typically critique a novel on the basis of whether it's chapters are standalone.
It's an article about TV criticism with the words "TV critic" in the title. So that some issues raised in the article about TV critics mainly concern TV critics shouldn't come as a surprise.

The context of the article makes it abundantly clear what he talks about and what sustainable means in that context.

Status
Not open for further replies.